Gotham #114: "The Fearsome Dr. Crane"

Posted by inferiorego (25734 posts) - - Show Bio
Cr: Jessica Miglio/FOX

Note: This recap and review will contain spoilers for the episode.

Recap

On this week's episode of Gotham, Penguin and Maroni celebrate the fall of Fish Mooney. Penguin tells Maroni he claimed Fish's nightclub in his name. Fish calls Maroni and tells him Penguin has been working for Falcone. Maroni plays it cool and says he has to go upstate and wants Penguin to go with him, right now.

A man is found dead on a rooftop and Bullock, Essen, and Nygma are on the scene. Nygma wants to examine the body, but it's not his job. Essen reminds him of that. Meanwhile, Selina is enjoying some food at Gordon's house when he gets home. Gordon knows someone is there. Gordon eventually catches Selina. She tells Gordon what she told Bruce last week. She never saw the killer's face. Gordon heads to the Wayne household to discuss it with Bruce and Alfred.

Penguin wakes up in Maroni's car and they're at a cabin in the country. During their breakfast, Maroni starts to piece things together and talks to Penguin without breaking a smile or flatout saying Penguin is a traitor.

The dead man's sponsor, from a phobia group, comes by the police station to talk to Bullock. She says the man had a fear of heights, which was what he was confronted with before he died. Bullock inquires more about meetings and pretty much asks her out in a date.

A man is walking home and the person who killed the guy on the roof is holding a pig and scares the man on the street. Said walking man gets kidnapped.

Nygma is examining the body, looking for clues. The real medical examiner comes in with Essen and Essen tells him to get out. The medical examiner says some nasty things to him and Essen suspends him.

Bullock and Gordon are investigating a place and find a man tied to a chair, with pigs around him. Another man, in a pig mask is holding a knife. Bullock and Gordon shoot the pig man.

Fish Mooney is enjoying a boat trip as she leaves Gotham. Bullock and Gordon find that both men are in the same phobia group. Bullock says he's going to the group because it's all been settled. Gordon says there's something else going on and Gordon wants Nygma to study the body, but he's suspended. Essen tells Gordon that because of taking down Detective Flask, eyes are on him, so he should let this one go... what?

Nygma goes to see Kringle to tell her he's suspended. Kringle says she's sorry he's been suspended.

Maroni returns to the cabin and says that there needs to be total honesty between each of them. Maroni says there's no guy they're meeting. Maroni wants one from Penguin now. Maroni says that he talked to Fish. He tells Penguin that Fish told him he was working with Falcone. Penguin tells Maroni that he took his gun and points it and him. Maroni says it's loaded with blanks and Penguin fires. Nothing happens and Maroni knocks him out.

Gordon meets Dr Thompkins for dinner. He wants answers on the case he's not supposed to work on. Thompkins tells him, in so many words, that she thought it was a date. Gordon gets called away because the second victim of abduction, the pig guy, woke up.

Bullock goes to the phobia meeting. Bullock meets the man who has been killing people at the coffee and donuts table.

Maroni has Penguin back in Gotham. He's going to kill Penguin at a junkyard. Penguin begs for his life.

Back at the meeting, Bullock talks about being afraid of dying on the job, alone. The killer, Todd, feels compelled to speak. He says he's afraid of failure. He says he inherited from his father and he's passing it onto his son. He gets emotional and leaves the room. Bullock's lady chases after him.

Penguin is in a car smasher and calls Maroni on his cell. Penguin calls the junkyard and the guy operating the machine and says Falcone is on his way an Falcone will kill him if he doesn't let him go. The guy stops the machine and runs off. Penguin escapes and runs off.

Back at the meeting, Bullock notices they've been gone for a while. Bullock leaves to see Todd drive off with Ms Mullens.

Nygma wages war on the medical examiner by putting a whole bunch of severed hands and feet in his locker. Prank war!

Bullock thinks he knows where Todd took Mullens. Todd is about to drown Mullens in a pool. Todd's son, Jonathon comes in... Jonathon Crane. Todd explains murdering people is for the good of humanity. Todd shoves her in the pool and watches her struggle. Bullock and Gordon come in and get into a shootout. Gordon runs after Todd while Bullock goes to save the girl. Ms Mullens is saved and Todd escapes.

Penguin wakens under a bridge and a group of church-going women find him and he hitches a ride to Gotham on their bus.

Back at the station, Thompkins stops by and says the killer removes his adrenal glands. She says it takes a doctor or nurse to remove the glands. Gordon says there's a job opening as a medical examiner now. The two plan to go to dinner. Then, they kiss, with everyone in the police station stopping what they're doing and watching. Nygma is reinstated because the ME is gone. Kringle tells Nygma he owes her a pencil.

Meanwhile, on the Fish boat, a group of men has taken over.

Thoughts

I know there's a history between Selina and Gordon but he's so apathetic to the idea that Selina is staying there. Oh, you're in my house and eating all my delicious cereal? I'm cool with that. Now, where's my girlfriend?

Bullock said "that's my name. Don't wear it out." God, I love Bullock's dialogue. "My love life is an open book, but a short and nasty one." Again, hilarious. I'm really loving his little one liners. He gives the episode a little bit of comedic flare. Sure, there are other characters doing the same thing, but no one delivers their lines like Donal Logue does.

Gordon is expected to not investigate these murders any further because eyes are on him because he arrested a cop? Where's the sense in that? Good job doing your police work but you can't do your police work because you did your police work. The way that police station runs is a complete mess and not in the "they're corrupt so everything is screwed up" type of way.

The whole Todd Crane part of episode felt vacant. I had no feelings towards this character and his motivation was unknown. Obviously, we're getting it more in next week's episode, but this guy just felt so bland and forgettable, much like the majority of the episode.

On the better side of things, it's strange to see, week after week, that Penguin's story line (and now even Nygma's story) become the best parts of the week and overshadowing everything else. The criminal element has so much life to it right now, while the police part of the show has fallen into the "villain of the week" showcase. Speaking of that criminal element, David Zayas as Maroni is fabulous. He delivers with such passion, as he did on Dexter and Oz, which he was also rad on, and he plays a manipulative man in power extremely well.

Once again, why does anyone in Gotham even shoot a gun? They're all terrible shots, except for the time Bullock shot the pig man.

Next week, the Penguin and Nygma come face to face? YES!

Hopefully, the second part of this storyline puts this into perspective because this episode falls a bit flat. Sure, we get to see the Crane lineage in this episode, but it misses its mark. The villain of the week style Gotham brings each week is really losing momentum, but luckily, most everything else happening here is pretty fantastic. Robin Lord Taylor, David Zayas, and Donal Logue are the real stand-outs in this episode, and thankfully, the score got a bit better, since last week's background music was pretty awful. Obviously, the show is still pretty good, but it's losing its luster.

Staff
Avatar image for transformers1024
#1 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep forgetting this show is on ._.

#2 Edited by SynCig (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this review. The Penguin parts are almost always good and this episode was actually the first time I really enjoyed Riddler's presence. I think my favorite part of the entire episode was Bruce telling Gordon that he would handle his parents' case. That felt very true to Bruce Wayne's character.

Still, despite having quite a few good moments, I still had too many issues to go above a 3 star rating here. The "villain of the week" formula isn't terrible when it is something that is used every once in a while but it is the norm on Gotham. Extending a fairly vanilla story into two episodes isn't really breaking that mold either. I also, as I've stated before, can't stand the cameo party that this show has become. What real purpose does having Scarecrow's dad be a villain serve for the show? If you ask me, it serves no purpose other than to shoehorn in Jonathan Crane. On top of that, Joker's story is set to begin in this season. Bruno Heller's quotes on the matter really make me think that it was a Fox mandate to start to include him now. Before we know it, the entirety of Batman's rogues gallery will be in the show and Gordon will be running around fighting crime as "The Stache."

#3 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed this episode.

Avatar image for darkseid_beyond
#4 Posted by Darkseid_Beyond (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce is going to personally investigate his parent's murder. I hope that leads to him learning about the Court of Owls and becoming suspicious of his parent's friends. People really hated Bruce on this show but I actually really like him here and I like his interactions with Alfred. I would like to see these two act out the scene where Bruce discovers the Court's meeting place, only to find it empty and he gets trapped inside for several days. The scene were Alfred rescues him would be really good.

#5 Posted by timelord (920 posts) - - Show Bio

Selina needs to go away!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

If one man knows the value of righteous break-up sex it's Harvey Bullock

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#8 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of my favorite episodes to date and I totally disagree with the 3 start rating. IMHO this was a great set-up episode. The purpose of having J. Crane's Dad being a "villain" isn't to have him be a villain, it's to show his influence on young Crane's life. I also like that we have future villain that's only a few years older than Bruce. I mean, how would it look if every future Bat-villain is someone 15-20 yrs older than Bruce is now? The potential for what Bruce can discover, the slow-burn of Nygma. This show is not about instant gratification. And Gordon wasn't okay with Selina being in his house, he's just not the type of character that's going to go ape-crap crazy on a 14 year old. I'm still surprised that anyone likes Arrow or Flash better than this show,don't get me wrong I like those shows but this show is so much better paced and thought out. I also notice folks that aren't into comics like this show better than those that are. I think too many comic-fans still want this show to give more nods to fan boys and work in some form of storyline from the books. Just an aside, about everyone on Gotham being a terrible shot..that's true of most cop/detective shows. Unless it's important to the plot that someone get hit, 90% of the time they don't. Seems a bit nit-picky to single out this show for that.

#9 Posted by Radx_Konkin75 (141 posts) - - Show Bio

This show sucks.

#10 Posted by KomicKev (131 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend who has never picked up a comic in her life, really dislikes this show. She can't "get into it", she says. She really enjoys SHIELD however and most comic book movies she has seen. She can't pinpoint exactly why, but feels (as a non-comic book reader) that maybe if Bruce were in his older teens, training to one day become Batman (although he wouldn't be thinking, "I'm going to be Batman someday!"). Maybe showing him better honing his investigative skills, working out, learning martial arts, basic weaponry, etc. She wants a show akin to Arrow, I suppose.

I too (as a long time comic book reader) don't LOVE this show. It hasn't drawn me in yet, anticipating each upcoming episode. I can't really pinpoint it either. I can appreciate the cast of characters - - some annoy me, others are pretty good. I guess it feels like (to me) this is a show that treads water. It can't do much except show James Gordon's journey and those that revolve around him. Here's an idea: How about a trip to Haley's circus and meet Dick's parents? Maybe bringing in the Joker's storyline somehow will be a good thing. Perhaps show some more mystery behind Bruce's parents - - why were they shot? What's their back story? How about having a sunny day, you know, EVERY once in a while!

#11 Posted by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was a pretty decent episode.

#12 Posted by Kervan21 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

This episode was ok. I agree with most of the positive points in the show, all except the stuff about Nygma. To be honest I wish he wasn't in the show, he just seems like miscellaneous material to me.

I'm also done with Fish Mooney. I don't get why she's on a boat to nowhere. And that final shot was studid, especially as the pirate guy just shot her bodyguard. Why not just shoot her rather than rush at her? Falcone should have just killed her off and be done with it. Penguin, Maroni, and Falcone alone are interesting enough to keep the crime drama stuff going, Fish is a waste.

I'm really like Morena Baccarin's Leslie Tompkins. It seems to me that they're setting her up as the "Sarah Essen" role from Year One and later. So as the show develops Gordon will probably end up with Barbara, but will always have had a thing with Tompkins. To be honest I'm ok with that, because they've done such a terrible job writing Barbara that I find this more entertaining, even if the concept of it doesn't sit well with me. Plus, Baccarin's just a much better actress than the chick playing Barbara.

I also don't mind Bruce Wayne in this show at all, because I think the actor playing him is doing a good job and the guy playing Alfred is consistently entertaining. So long as he doesn't take too much focus off of Gordon and the crime drama of the mob, I'm good with him in it.

Why on earth would Gordon let Selina get away so easily? He should have cuffed her to a chair right then and there and brought her in! Sometimes Gordon is great at doing his job, other times he's terrible.

So far THE FLASH and AGENT CARTER are the best shows on right now. Gotham could be so much better, but it keeps focusing on random miscellaneous things that don't need to be there. Give Gordon his own villains, make up some new characters. No need to bring in pre-Batman villains just to prove to the audience that this is a Batman show without Batman.

#13 Posted by Sachmoo (2500 posts) - - Show Bio

Im very intrigued to see how the whole Penguin/ falcone story is going to shake-up now. Penguins sole purpose was to be a mole in Maronis camp. Now that he no longer serves that purpose, what use does Falcone have with him?

#14 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Batman fanboy i keep watching it,but hell some parts are preety dumb and dull.......it's watchable though.

#15 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

And please answer me,why do you people like the Flash so much??....it's a tad old school comicbook show,it's ok,but not great.

#16 Posted by Zadoulo (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: For me that's exactly the reason. I want a show that have the superhero aspect and its struggle down with no over complicated drama. I can experience as a kid again by watching The Flash where it's always bad guy starts trouble, then good guy solves and save the day. Simple and clean. Gotham, Arrow, and Constantine didn't make me say, "Yeah! Hit him! Come on! Get em'! You rock, superhero." Maybe it's just me then. Those shows are too dramatic and it focus less on the old fashion, bad guy and good guy complex.

#17 Posted by GodxDarkxOpal (525 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn Dr.Thompkins is hot....Wow her smile is great:)

#18 Posted by Pelykan (228 posts) - - Show Bio

Selina's escape seemed a bit stupid and so did her breaking and entering the Gordon appartment.

They have a clock window which makes me assume it's the penthouse of the building and it looks like a high building. A few episodes back she climbed the balcony which means she either climbed the entire building or there is an appartment below whose owners don't lock their door. And now this episode she just hops over the balcony which would mean certain death.

It could be that the penthouse is smaller then the rest of the building and she is jumping onto the balcony one floor down. But then that means that those people have not locked their doors in the past weeks, both the front and balcony door.

#19 Posted by the_comebacks (365 posts) - - Show Bio

And please answer me,why do you people like the Flash so much??....it's a tad old school comicbook show,it's ok,but not great.

I think people (including myself) like it so much mainly cause of the writing. The heart of the show is the character development and shown through the friendships and relationships between the characters. The characters have struggles that people can relate to despite being in a super hero universe. There is a good balance of humor and darkness, and it is a fun universe (the music score is great too). I like dark universes too but it is cool when a show can do both.

My biggest problem with Gotham is the character interaction/development. It is choppy and it feels like many characters (especially Selina, Bruce, Nygma, and Barbara) are shown horned into episodes. They don't give the characters alot of respect or development. The characters are very inconsistent and constantly change direction. I think this show has a lot of potential, and I thought the Penguin's umbrella episode was awesome. But since that episode, it has been tonally all over the place.

#20 Posted by dngn4774 (5579 posts) - - Show Bio

Fish Mooney is ruining this show. Her character is way too campy and it's messing up the gritty flow of the criminal scenes. With the addition of Scarecrow this show is going to become a hot mess of underdeveloped side characters. The writers need to stop having six supporting characters fight for screen time on each episode and just focus on developing 2 or 3 characters at a time. When a show tries to hit every demographic, they gradually lose them all, because it's difficult for viewers to understand what the story is trying to be.

#21 Posted by godzilla44 (7364 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much only watching the show because the villains and Bullock are awesome

#22 Edited by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_comebacks: Trying to not be biased here,but,aren't they ripping off Spider-Man a tad,with Barry's character and attitude......i mean,i know Barry Allen,and i like him,but that's not Barry Allen....that's a fast Peter Parker.....he's not even blonde( :P)

My biggest problem with Gotham is the character interaction/development. It is choppy and it feels like many characters (especially Selina, Bruce, Nygma, and Barbara) are shown horned into episodes. They don't give the characters alot of respect or development. The characters are very inconsistent and constantly change direction. I think this show has a lot of potential, and I thought the Penguin's umbrella episode was awesome. But since that episode, it has been tonally all over the place.

The only thing it has going is Jim,at times,and Harvey who's fantastic.

Bruce has no place there.
Selina has no place there.
Pamela intoduced her 8 yr old self as "Ivy",so gtfo please.

It's disturbing at times,but i watch it,cuz i love Batman......

Also i read that they will hint at Joker by the end of season one.......if they give Joker an origin,it'll be my time to get off the show....

#23 Edited by the_comebacks (365 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_comebacks: Trying to not be biased here,but,aren't they ripping off Spider-Man a tad,with Barry's character and attitude......i mean,i know Barry Allen,and i like him,but that's not Barry Allen....that's a fast Peter Parker.....he's not even blonde( :P)

I actually agree with you on this. They are taking some aspects of the spider man character such as the qips, the girl problems, and that gustin looks a lot like peter parker. At first, I didn't like that, but the show has progressed to where that a smaller part of the show. However, I think Barry is taking more influence from Wally West. This depiction is essentially Half-Barry and Half-Wally, which is similar to the Justice League cartoon approach. Younger wally was more snarky, and light hearted. To be fair I do see this depiction of Barry having influences from Wally and Peter Parker.

for Gotham, I heard we will be introduced to a possible Joker Origin. I wouldn't trust its an actual one. Bruno Heller (gotham's showrunner)-did something similar on the Mentalist-he will probably tease certain aspects of origin but in the end make it one mess of rumors. I'll probably give it a shot, but I hope to see more consistency.

#24 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually agree with you on this. They are taking some aspects of the spider man character such as the qips, the girl problems, and that gustin looks a lot like peter parker. At first, I didn't like that, but the show has progressed to where that a smaller part of the show. However, I think Barry is taking more influence from Wally West. This depiction is essentially Half-Barry and Half-Wally, which is similar to the Justice League cartoon approach. Younger wally was more snarky, and light hearted. To be fair I do see this depiction of Barry having influences from Wally and Peter Parker.

Ι find nothing to be Barry-like,man.....Wally,yeah maybe,and Peter Parker.

for Gotham, I heard we will be introduced to a possible Joker Origin. I wouldn't trust its an actual one. Bruno Heller (gotham's showrunner)-did something similar on the Mentalist-he will probably tease certain aspects of origin but in the end make it one mess of rumors. I'll probably give it a shot, but I hope to see more consistency.

Again,if Joker gets and origina and actually appears on the show,it's total BS my friend.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#25 Posted by amazing_webhead (9819 posts) - - Show Bio

Too much chick flick, not enough Scarecrow.

Man, all the future villains really got to shine here. Penguin bluffed his way out of certain death and Riddler got some pretty sweet revenge.

Look, I don't like Barbara any more than the rest of you, but if Batgirl hasn't been born yet she's not done on this show.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#26 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

@komickev: As I noted before, this show is not about instant gratification. I'm thinking 90% of your questions will be answered in time. Reminds me of year ago when they main complaint against Selina was her character was pointless. Time has proven that to not be true. Now the complaints are against the actress portraying her (which are a bit more valid.) This show builds up on what's been done in the past. As for the occasional sunny day, I kind of agree and am thinking they will do that sooner or later, but the shows' tone is dark, so don't expect it to be sunny anymore than one would expect a Vampire show to have a lot of daytime scenes.

#27 Posted by the_comebacks (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Again,if Joker gets and origina and actually appears on the show,it's total BS my friend.

I agree that would be BS if he gets an origin. That does take away his mystique and the whole theory of the Joker could be anyone who just snapped. Barry is a more straight edge than either Wally or Peter. We havent really seen a lot of young barry allen-the new 52 does show a younger version, but overall not a lot of modern examples of a younger Barry Allen which is why it might seems foreign. Knowing the writers on the show, they will probably build him into the classic Barry Allen character. They have done similar things on arrow where they start with a departure from the character and move towards the classic version of that character.

#28 Posted by PunyParker (15717 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

I agree that would be BS if he gets an origin. That does take away his mystique and the whole theory of the Joker could be anyone who just snapped. Barry is a more straight edge than either Wally or Peter. We havent really seen a lot of young barry allen-the new 52 does show a younger version, but overall not a lot of modern examples of a younger Barry Allen which is why it might seems foreign. Knowing the writers on the show, they will probably build him into the classic Barry Allen character. They have done similar things on arrow where they start with a departure from the character and move towards the classic version of that character.

I watch Arrow,and Ollie started as Batman and he still is Batman..... :/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.