Dr Leslie Thompkins Makes Her Debut on Gotham

Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

Although she has yet to appear in the New 52, Dr Leslie Thompkins was a strong supporting character from the comics at one time. She is strongly against Batman using teenagers as sidekicks and at one time, withheld medication from Stephanie Brown, which caused her to die. She did this in order to show Batman that the vigilante lifestyle was too dangerous for kids.

Now, Leslie Thompkins will be making her way to Gotham in the episode "Rogues' Gallery" which will air on Monday, January 5th. Thompkins will be played by Morena Baccarin and she will be working at Arkham Asylum alongside James Gordon. The two will start off as friends, but get complicated after that.

Photo Cr: Jessica Miglio/FOX

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Baccarin had this to say about the character:

I’m a physician. I’m working at Arkham, but we’re not sticking too close to the original mythology... We are having her team up with Jim Gordon instead of the Wayne family and Bruce. Eventually, who knows—it could go in that direction, but it hasn’t yet.”

She gets out [of Arkham] which is really fun and her and Jim kind of pair up and have this really great relationship. I think it’s important. Arkham is a really kind of iconic and dark and crazy world but I don’t think you want to spend too much time in there... Jim finds an ally in her, which I think is important for him at this point. He’s beaten down by the system and he’s been fighting this one-man operation to make Gotham not as corrupt. I think it’s really important that he finds that relationship in Leslie.

While in the comics, she's had a closer relationship with Alfred Pennyworth and Catwoman, here, she'll be working with Gordon and Arkham, which is a solid move for the show and a good way to get these two characters in the same room and working with each other.

What do you think of Baccarin joining the cast? Gotham returns to television on Monday, January 5th at 8PM on Fox.

Staff
Avatar image for amazing_webhead
#2 Edited by amazing_webhead (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally someone who's actually the right age

#3 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

She's too hot for Leslie.

#4 Posted by the_stegman (40190 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, she appeared in New 52, wasn't she in Grayson?? Or, the last Nightwing issue before Grayson.

#5 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, she appeared in New 52, wasn't she in Grayson?? Or, the last Nightwing issue before Grayson.

She was in Batman 34 IIRC.

#6 Posted by NightFang3 (12362 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

She's too hot for Leslie.

There is no such thing as "too hot for".

Avatar image for transformers1024
#8 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

She's....hot? I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that.

#9 Edited by shroudofsorrow (5807 posts) - - Show Bio

Leslie allowed Stephanie Brown to die just to prove a point?

Is that in violation of the Hippocratic oath?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
#10 Posted by deactivated-5c6600594117e (22316 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice cast..she is lovely and sfe can act.

#11 Posted by Fallingcliffs (5727 posts) - - Show Bio

She is hot indeed mmmm.

#12 Posted by RavenVice01 (4408 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Hugo strange shown up yet? I think this gotham tv show would hav been more interesting when bruce was a teenager with flashbacks of his childhood after the murder of his parents.

At least that way, bruce and Selina could be a bit more intimate plus poison ivy would be hotter. Actually that would hav worked out better. Bruce meets all of his allies and foes in prep school as well as the streets

#13 Posted by viin (953 posts) - - Show Bio

The way this show is going they should just make Gordon become Batman.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
#14 Posted by obsidian_raindrop1 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

Leslie was in Batman 34 and RHatO 0.

#15 Edited by COBRAMORPH (1884 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

I think this gotham tv show would hav been more interesting when bruce was a teenager with flashbacks of his childhood after the murder of his parents.

At least that way, bruce and Selina could be a bit more intimate plus poison ivy would be hotter. Actually that would hav worked out better. Bruce meets all of his allies and foes in prep school as well as the streets

It works best if you just ignore kid-Bruce, or even just pretend he is Dick Greyson.

But Ivy is just unexcuseable. From changing her name, to making her too young, again I just pretend she is Stephanie Brown. Or even Barbara Gordon.

At least Monica has regrown her hair. She looked awful with that super-short style she had on V.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#16 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024 said:

She's....hot? I can honestly say I wasn't expecting that.

You should see her in Hoemland. GODAYUM!!!

{BASED}

#17 Edited by LordDarkFox (126 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#18 Posted by Perfect 10 (1655 posts) - - Show Bio

it comes back the 5th? other shows got to wait til end of the month

#20 Edited by AwesomePerson (2767 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by BuNKiTZ (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Inara! :3

#22 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

Leslie allowed Stephanie Brown to die just to prove a point?

Is that in violation of the Hippocratic oath?

Elfring kind of left you with a cliffhanger on that one, huh? xD

You just didn't get the full context. Steph didn't die, and Leslie is not a monster.

Here's a wiki entry for you:

After escaping the ambush, Robin and Batman track down the woman in a bid to force her to stop imitating Stephanie. When confronted, she removes her mask and reveals that she is indeed Stephanie, with Leslie Thompkins having faked her death. Batman reveals his doubts about her death leading him to not erect a memorial for her in the Batcave. Since her secret identity had been compromised, Leslie faked her death so villains could not use her against Batman as Black Mask had done. Living with Leslie in Africa under an alias, Stephanie had been performing volunteer work until an attack from a local witch-hunting tribe prompted her to return to crimefighting, and subsequently to Gotham. Stephanie reunites with her mother, enrolls in Tim's high school, and rejoins the Bat-Family.

#24 Edited by mak13131313 (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice!

#25 Posted by UltronMk7 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited Gotham is back. As far as Ivy changing her name, I'm sure there is a reason for it. She'll probably be adopted and have her name changed to Panela Isley.

Morrena Baccarin is very hot....now that she grew her hair back. that short hair she had on V, as someone else mentioned, just ruined her. Looked terrible. Super short hair like that never looks good on a female imo, never.

Really interested to see the rest of this season of of all the DC and Marvel shows. All had great mid season finales, really looking forward to all of them.

#26 Posted by Black_Arrow (10258 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked Leslie. I never really cared for her and I don´t think she is a good character.

#29 Posted by BlueEcho (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, especially as she is either under-utliized or poorly utilized in the comics.

#30 Posted by Superbat420 (281 posts) - - Show Bio

She's appeared multiple times in the new 52....

#33 Posted by jorgeareizaga (483 posts) - - Show Bio

JAMES GORDON IS SOOOOOOOOOO HOT

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
#36 Posted by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

"We are having her team up with Jim Gordon instead of the Wayne family and Bruce." Kind of defeats the purpose of the character...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#39 Posted by The Impersonator (8477 posts) - - Show Bio

I want her to treat me well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.