Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#1  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Ok, I'm reading Gotham Underground and I'm liking it, but I don't get why they're using The Whale. Not only does he resemble Kingpin way too much, but he just doesn't seem interesting. Maybe they're trying to bring him back as a major player or something, but the "fat mob boss" idea seems done to me.

And anyone else like Freddie Dinardo? Nightwing doesn't want to be Batman but just like him he's got an undercover mob persona with a cheesy name. (I like it.)

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Those names sure are strange. I just wonder how people think up names like that. As for The Whale, I'm not too sure either.

I guess they put The Whale because he has that "fat mob boss" look, I can't really think up anybody else filling that spot. All other Gotham criminals seem to be too busy at Penguin's hang out. Well, at least we know he likes veal now.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Since when do Whales eat cows? Anyway, I like that they're doing a gang thing that's separate from the "masks", I just don't like The Whale as the leader. The Kingpin thing really gets to me. I know he's not the Kingpin but the similarity is hard to ignore. And also, he's just as much a "mask" as some of those he says he's taking the city back from. I really don't see a difference between him and say, Joker. If Joker counts as mask, so does fat man. I think I would have liked it if that white suit guy had killed The Whale instead of backing down. I like the book though, just not the Whale. Want to find out about Spoiler, and did you see Bat-mite on the cover?

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Buckshot says:

Since when do Whales eat cows?

When Whale came in and killed the two guys arguing over the east side, and then he goes, "The veal is good." It must be one of the writer's wacky ideas. Using cheesy names, why not use lines that aren't really supposed to make sense?

Want to find out about Spoiler, and did you see Bat-mite on the cover?"

Yeah, I saw Bat-Mite on the cover. Must be an easter egg of some sort and I was also wondering about Spoiler too; didn't she die?

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Ms. Invisible says:

"When Whale came in and killed the two guys arguing over the east side, and then he goes, "The veal *is* good." It must be one of the writer's wacky ideas. Using cheesy names, why not use lines that aren't really supposed to make sense? "

I saw it, just thought it was silly, and a little disgusting with his flab hanging all over the place and blood coming out of his mouth.

Ms. Invisible says:

Yeah, I saw Bat-Mite on the cover. Must be an easter egg of some sort and I was also wondering about Spoiler too; didn't she die?"

Yup, she died and some people were (and probably still are) mad that she didn't get respect.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Nighthunter

Buckshot says:

"Ok, I'm reading Gotham Underground and I'm liking it, but I don't get why they're using The Whale. Not only does he resemble Kingpin way too much, but he just doesn't seem interesting. Maybe they're trying to bring him back as a major player or something, but the "fat mob boss" idea seems done to me.And anyone else like Freddie Dinardo? Nightwing doesn't want to be Batman but just like him he's got an undercover mob persona with a cheesy name. (I like it.)"

I think it is because all of the important and easily posible people have been captured or are dead. Besides he is one of the few villains that dowesn't have a mask or a super identity. Besides they haven't use him in quite some time

TheePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By TheePenguin

I think he wasn't a horrible pick for this comic, he seemed grotesque and had a good purpose.

I didn't like the name and how he looked to similar to King-pin, but still he isn't that bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.