MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

GOTHAM ACADEMY is different from anything else DC is publishing right now, and that's apparent on first glance. Flip through a copy, and you'll find that Kerschl, Geyser, and McCaig have crafted rich, beautiful pages that buck any sort of "house style," establishing GOTHAM ACADEMY's unique aesthetic right out of the gate. There's a youthful energy to the pages (despite the fact that the Academy is a pretty gloomy place), from the panel shapes to the well-chosen dramatic angles to the focus that details like waffles and binoculars warrant.

Cloonan, Fletcher, & Co. know how to set up a story: as Olive and Maps begin their tour of the school, the pairing of a returning student with a first-year both seems natural to the school setting and serves to give us a balanced and interesting perspective. Olive knows the ropes, and has pre-existing perceptions (and some emotional baggage), while Maps is wide-eyed and curious; it's an excellent way to introduce us to this story and this part of Gotham without the hand-holding of overly direct exposition. That the two girls already know each other makes the story feel even more comfortable and well-paced.

The issue paces like an episode of a cartoon -- right down to the nearly-comedic action moment and next-issue tease that begs us to tune in next month. It feels natural for a teen mystery-drama, and tracks well with the artistic style. The central mystery has kick, but it also sits atop other opportunities for exploration, from the curious (sorting out how high school social stratification works in Gotham) to the curiouser (what's going on with Olive, why did she dump Kyle, and how does she know Bruce?). In short? There's a lot to come back for as this series unfolds.

The Bad

Minor gripe: I'm fairly certain this title is meant to be current vis-a-vis technology and such (especially since students grab cameras/phones to record Olive' and Maps' disruption), so what's the deal with the candles? I'm willing to accept that Gotham Academy is a gloomy, gothic place without denying it some modern lighting.

The Verdict

Welcome to the freshest take on Gotham this side of the New 52. GOTHAM ACADEMY enriches the city we know so well, stretching the scope wider than the heroes and villains we're used to, and inviting us along for an interesting tale that shares as many notes with Harry Potter as it does with classic Bat lore. The creative team has knocked this one out of the park -- it's recognizably Gotham (Bruce Wayne cameo and all), but it's brimming with heart and absolutely distinct from any other title with bats on the cover.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

glad to see Becky Cloonan is killin' it!

stoked!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I wanted to like this comic...I really, really, did. Cause I need something besides Harley to make me laugh in the DCU, but I just didn't like it. I didn't find Olive or Maps really that interesting or endearing and the plot (or rather, the inklings of the plot to come) didn't do it for me. I'll have to pass on this one.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When I get the chance I think I will check this out. It doesn't seem like my kind of book, but the art is good and I'm always willing to give something unique a chance.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

The might be the only Batfamily book I'm gonna get.

cheluprim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cheluprim

I'm so glad I checked this out! I didn't think I would like it as ridiculously much as I did but man, I love it! The art is awesome and gorgeous and feels like such a perfect fit for the book. I can't wait to get deeper into these characters' stories and just see where this whole thing goes. Looks like this is gna be one of my favorites :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This books seems to have "Anime" feel to it. I don't mind if DC animation do Gotham Academy animated series. Glad to see DC do "light" book. Sometimes no need to have "dark and depressing" book

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a book targeted at me, but I see the potential for this to be a huge hit for DC, along with the new direction for Batgirl. It makes me happy that DC seems to be trying some new things, now they need to learn how to properly market some of these recent ideas. I still salute them for the $3 price tag as well, though I expect to see that to start changing over the next year.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By longbowhunter

I thought the issue was very good. Not my kinda story, but still enjoyed it. Glad to see DC doing something to the far left of the rest of their line.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else think the art was amazing.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This book isn't for me, but I'm really glad it exists and I hope it does well. I hope that all of the change this new Bat editor has brought pays off for him so DC considers more risks in the future.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MyNameIsWill

I haven't even read my copy.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Are these all new characters?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

What is this, one of those high-school reimaginings?

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting it

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

What is this, one of those high-school reimaginings?

No not at all. It's just a private school in Gotham kinda thing.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This books seems to have "Anime" feel to it. I don't mind if DC animation do Gotham Academy animated series. Glad to see DC do "light" book. Sometimes no need to have "dark and depressing" book

Dude...I had the exact same feeling when I was reading this. It really does feel like a school-life anime...and I mean that in the best way possible. It takes some of the good things about such an anime, like a mythology-rich, tightly communal setting, but then applies them to characters that are not annoyingly quirky and one-dimensional.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I dug it. Interested in what drives the rest of the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy to hear this was good but I don't think this is for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed this issue!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This book surprised me of it;s content. So far I like hte fact that it actually isn;t centered around superheroes and things like that but from the last page's cliffhanger I think we will pretty soon get close to them.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obsidian_raindrop1: I really love the art in this comic.Just looks really good.Seeing the few previews I saw. I may get this in TPB though!

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like this book. The writing was good as well the art, but its just not my type of book. Definitely read it though. Its not a bad book of any sorts, I just have different taste in comics than what this was.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for spiderknightcrawler
    SpiderKnightCrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book didn't knock it out of the park for me, but it was a triple or double; in short, I liked the book. I'll agree like a lot of people that's it's not my style of book, but I do like the change of pace. Who knows maybe it'll contribute to the Batman universe in some significant way before this is all over. And a Harry Potter-Batman comparison? I could live with that. Maybe we'll see a new superhero come out of this story.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I liked this issue as well but not understanding all the hype. Definitely not a 5 star, but a solid 4 in my opinion. Nothing overwhelming or making me jump out of my seat, so not understanding a 5 or all the "this is the best thing DC is doing" comments.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By galacticshrub

This book is so much fun! Can't wait for the next issue!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.