Follow

Gorgon

Character » Gorgon appears in 245 issues.

Tomi Shishido is a mutant extremist that formed the "Dawn of the White Light" cult. He has served as a high-ranking official of The Hand and HYDRA. Shishido ranks among the most skilled swordsmen of the world.

Gorgon's personality change.

VileBlues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VileBlues
    No Caption Provided

As you can see, Gorgon clearly has a smile on his face.

In his first appearance, he was a really stand out character to add to Wolverine's rogue gallery, even if he doesn't have much that makes him differ from some of the others- (Who all seem to have a healing factor of some sort or means of tanking Wolverine's adamantium claws: Cyber, Daken, Sabertooth, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, Romulus, etc.)

None the less, he was a very likable villain who had Wolverine outclassed in every way. Also, unlike his other villains, had a very easy way of putting Wolverine down for good if he wanted to, through eye contact. I truly consider him to be the equivalent villain wise to Wolverine, as what Morlun is to Spider-Man. Much like Morlun also, he poses an extreme risk to our protagonist, and isn't a sort of villain you can have appearing every month and should be reserved for story line purposes, or else, he'd have to become poorly written and given many defeats and humiliating losses from the glorious plot induced stupidity that would allow his constant and weekly defeat.

His original appearance showed him to be very nihilistic in personality, but he was not entirely without a personality. He's shown toying with Elektra during their fight, amusing himself with the all too simple fight: I genuinely believe he seemed to enjoy showing off the sheer difference in ability between them.

Has anyone else noticed the significant change in personality since his resurrection? If so, how do you feel about this?

In Secret Warriors, he's got the power and he's got the skill, but his personality has become far too cliche. He's just another stupidly over the top stoic samurai type in personality, and when he does show emotion, it's arrogance like he once had, but much more serious arrogance. Other than that, he seems angry all the time. Even after getting the Grasscutter, his expression looks downright pissed off still. Still, at least the character still had some respect to him, slashing the arms off the team's speedster and handling the secret warriors without much problem. None the less, where is his intelligence? Before he took more of a leadership role, and while he still does, it's kind of a disgrace to his original self. He was once insulting Reed Richards, and now he comes off as nothing more really than muscle to back up Baron Strucker and The Kraken's brains.

They take this a bit further in Dark Avengers, where honestly, wearing Wolverine's suit feels like it would be more of a stab to Gorgon than it would Wolverine, and overall a petty little slap of psychological warfare that Gorgon's much too brilliant to see being overall effective in any sort of way. His personality? Not only as bad as before, but they actually began jobbing him out for the first time. He's obsessed with fighting Wolverine again, which makes him stupidly reckless and...Oh yeah, he gets blind-sided and super kicked by Daredevil,(Thanks a lot, Bendis) when before he made solo'ing Elektra and Wolverine look like child's play.

While the discussion is actually meant to be about the change in personality and other's opinions and thoughts on the matter, I can't help but also making a quick nit-pick at his current attire. It makes a decent alternate costume for him, considering his Japanese heritage, but constantly wearing the blindfold and kimono 24/7 looks quite tacky compared to his original incarnation which should be his default attire. I'll take the red suit and dark sunglasses any day. His muscles and hardened warrior expression? I wonder if the writers forgot that The Gorgon is a relatively young guy. Eighteen months prior to his appearance in the Wolverine story line, he was 18 years of age. I don't believe Marvel years follow our own, and he couldn't possibly have aged while dead. I'd think he would only now be reaching his early twenties. I don't mean to imply he should be drawn to look like some handsome bishounen, but for his youth, the current super-testosterone masculinity just doesn't feel fitting.

So to end this, I've gone over the change of his personality since his original character made it's way into the comics, and this isn't a thread venting my dislike, but to promote others for their views and opinions as well. So by all means, contribute whatever you can. I'd be more than interested to read what you have to say!

Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a gangster, you know this.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By slimj87d

It's just different authors... You have to be a big fan of the original material, and authors that have used him didn't do their research or speak with his creators. It happens to my favorite character all the time, Bucky. He gets treated as one of the deadliest assassin's in some comics, but then he gets treated like a young teen in others.

MacabreBlues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MacabreBlues

@slimj87d said:

It's just different authors... You have to be a big fan of the original material, and authors that have used him didn't do their research or speak with his creators. It happens to my favorite character all the time, Bucky. He gets treated as one of the deadliest assassin's in some comics, but then he gets treated like a young teen in others.

You're right, and it is a major shame. It's sad to see an artistic and mathematical genius reduced to just brute muscle and skill with none of the suave dialogue or character dynamics like we saw with him vs Elektra. Another character and possibly absolute favorite of mine often takes some big hits to his credibility due to writers and has for years: Taskmaster.

This is probably not popular opinion, but I also preferred the Udon gear to his usual suit. I just simply find it to look tacky, unless in the right hands such as his appearance in Moon Knight. However, unlike Gorgon, I find this an example of a drastic change of character appearance and personality that was for the better, he's now returned to the same old Taskmaster. One day he is fighting Asgardians and later your favorite, Bucky, and Captain America, only to turn around and have some rather humiliating defeats in his history too. Thankfully, his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom seemed to have help introduce more to him and spur the use of his character more frequently. But I digress,

As an amateur independent comic book writer (Sorry, I don't work for a studio/publishing company or have anything published in a quantity to which I can show off, I'm still working on several projects for people to help them get to that level.) I try to extensively research the characters I'd like to one day write. A project I had in the works to pitch to Marvel was based on Toad, to whom I was surprised after I had the idea of having a Spider-Man appearance within one of his issues, to find the two actually have a very touching personal background since Peter once stopped him from committing suicide.

As a writer, my goal is to write as a voice of the fans that often don't get heard. Of course, you can never do this perfectly, as for example, with SpOck(Superior Spider-Man), some hate him, some love him. When I think of stories I could be writing, I often think of how to turn a character with a lot of potential into a memorable stand out figure, especially the more obscure ones. Toad is a great example since I had already started a project to pitch and sell to Marvel regarding him. He has amazing potential on paper, but in story, he's normally not using it. I was going to keep his history of cowardice and sloppy use of powers true to his character, but also add the psychological element of him facing these parts of himself to overall better the character. I hoped if I could achieve that, I could tell a great story with a D rate character and put more spotlight on him. He had a larger fanbase after his popular depiction in X-men 1, though Marvel didn't exploit it to the degree they now exploit the Tom Hiddleston fandom with Loki. If all went well, he'd make an amazing character to place in a team like the Thunderbolts in my opinion.

Bucky from what I understand has gotten some good popularity thanks to his appearance in the latest Captain America. I hope they keep him more consistently bad ass thanks to this, but don't cross your fingers. And Gorgon? Put on a damn suit again and smirk for a change while taunting the dug up past of your opponent.Wearing those shades again wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the reply,

Σ Bluesummers W. Macabre.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.