Is Geoff Johns a Good Writer?

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It is now 2015 and Geoff Johns has been not been writing GL for a while. Having just read mostof his run on GL (I need to read New 52) as well as Forever Evil, Batman: Earth One (vol 1 & 2), and Flashpoint I feel the need to ask: is Geoff Johns a good writer? I know this has been asked before but I felt it was time for an updated discussion post. I have enjoyed everything I have read so far by him, with Green Lantern: Rebirth being my favorite. In your response I would like the following addressed:

• Do you think he is a good writer? Y/N
  • What do you like about his stories/writing style?
  • What is your favorite story?
  • What is your least favorite?
  • What do you dislike about him?

Thank you and happy posting!

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a good writer, but what I feel sets him apart are his ideas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He can be.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is better than most, but not as good as the best. He is experienced, and has a clear voice. And he remembers to include humor.

His 'human' characters start to look a lot like Batman, so his Batman is written as an unlikable lunk.

And he has only written two or three female characters that were not adolescent male power/kink fantasies.

Dialog is OK. Plot is very long form, with many loose threads from arc to arc. Never ending story style.

He writes with scope, but since he is the shot caller it is in his power to do so.

The emotional spectrum will likely be his most lasting contribution to DC. The expansion of the speed force is likely another.

The real question is how many of his stories from 2000-2006 are must reads now...and how many of the current runs will have volumes that pass that test.

Is Forever Evil going to be Morrison Earth 2 level good?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheExile285

Do you think he is a good writer? Y/N

Yes. I think he is a fantastic writer. He's my favorite comic book writer.

What do you like about his stories/writing style?

I think he generally does a great job telling interesting stories while also having small plots factor into larger plots that span the course of his run on books.

What is your favorite story?

Superboy: The Boy of Steel.

What is your least favorite?

Justice League Vol. 1: Origin

What do you dislike about him?

Sometimes he writes characters extremely out of character when he doesn't have a good understanding of them. His stuff with Wonder Woman in early New 52 Justice League is an example of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.