Follow

Geoff Johns

Person » Geoff Johns is credited in 1567 issues.

Geoff Johns is the CEO for Mad Ghost Productions at Warner Brothers. He previously wrote Action Comics, Justice Society of America, Flash, Aquaman, Teen Titans prior to focusing on movies. He is also known for his historic nine-year run on Green Lantern in which he greatly expanded the mythos.

Geoff's Retcons

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#1  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I was thinking of making an addition to the Retcon page (or making a "Geoff Johns Retcons" page if there's enough info to warrant one) with a section about Geoff Johns' and the changes he's made. I don't know everything he's retconned though. So far I've got two.

Toyman: Turning all previous versions of Toyman into toys he created that went bad.

Brainiac/Kandor: Retconning all previous versions of Brainiac into things other than the real Brainiac, meaning that Superman's never really met him.

I know he changed some stuff with Green Lantern, but I don't know what. So post here any retcons he's made (any book) and include issue numbers and whatnot so I can read it and cite it on the page. Thanks for your help.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Methos

oh jesus...

how much time have you got?

right, lets start with Emerald Twilight and go from there...

1. introduced the Parallax Symbiote

2. Hal never snapped, he was under the influence of the alien parasite at all times (which apparently can't kill itself, so that throws Final Night off kilt all together)

3. Ion symbiote (completely twists and messes up Kyle's entire run)

4. Sinestro corps rings / power batteries (Corps rings were now made on Ranxx, unknown where they are made now but it ain't Qward and the Quardians have nothing to do with the yellow rings anymore)

I've got a ton more of these so give me a few days and i'll compile a complete list of how badly he rogered the past 10 years of Green Lantern in under a year

M

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Last_Guardian

damn retconning is so disrespectful to the previous writers...that's so not cool

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Thanks for the start. Lemme know when you've done a finished list with more detail and stuff.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Methos
    Buckshot said:
    "Thanks for the start. Lemme know when you've done a finished list with more detail and stuff.
    "

will do, i've also asked a few friends on the GLforum to help with this so we can get a really thorough list and how it effected the GL universe...

M
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Methos

here's a few more with explenations...

bare in mind this is only recent stuff...

1) Relegated "Parallax" to being a possessive living incarnation of fear that made Hal do bad things.

1a) Hal's/Parallax' motivation for Zero Hour. Originally, it was to "make things right again". Now, according to Booster Gold #0, all he wanted was to spread fear.

WTF Geoff?!?

2) Relegated "Ion" to being a possessive living incarnation of willpower that Kyle was temporarily a host to.

3) Made "8 Years Ago" be a time when Sinestro is still a GL and Katma Tui is a tween. That's serious compression.

4) Retconned that the reason Kyle had no Yellow Weakness was because Parallax wasn't inside the Central Power Battery (itself, a retcon as well)... only to retcon his own retcon in then saying that rookies still have the Yellow Weakness after Parallax is out because of some kind of... residual affect of Parallax on the Willpower spectrum because he was in it so long.

Everyone say it with me... WTF Geoff?!?

5) The green areas of GL costumes are now warm to the touch.

6) Hal now first met John when he was a Marine and Hal was in the Air Force. They get in a fight.

7) Amon Sur's race can survive beheadings.

8) Zamarons don't look like human females, but rather more like gangly aliens with no noses.

9) Pretty much eliminating Emerald Dawn I and II wholesale.

10) Using the ring is like passing a kidney stone...EVERY TIME (sure makes past, and present, joking banter and humorous constructs somewhat difficult to reconcile).

one more time... WTF Geoff?!?

11) Hector Hammond didn't find the meteor in the jungle, he was given it by aliens...then he wasn't, and just stupidly tore open Abin Sur's star drive without adequate precautions. (Double Geoffcon)

12) Hal as ladies man instead of serial monogamist.

13) Hal no longer hired by Ferris, but ended up with them after a takeover (which contradicts stuff from earlier in his run).

14) Hal and his brothers NEVER had the chummy relationship that was a regular feature of the Silver Age.

15) Changed how Tom discovered his secret ID. (An improvement, IMHO)

16) Also, wasn't it established during Kyle's run somewhere that Hal was kicked out of the military when someone he was working with stole some plane or something? Now he punched a superior officer so he could get kicked out to see his Mom.

More to come...

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Nighthunter

Just from Booster gold:

Spoilers alert

Rip Hunter is the son of Booster Gold

Booster Gold's sister was known as Goldstar and was a hero (not sure if that is a retcon but I don't remember it)
    _Obsidian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By _Obsidian_

Wasn't Geoff Johns the one who wrote Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes arc in Action Comics?

• The character Rainbow Girl (originally created before 1st Crisis) now wields the Emotional Spectrum. (I don't know what powers she had before, but I'm pretty sure the Spectrum wasn't invented back then :P)
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Nighthunter said:
    "Just from Booster gold:

Spoilers alert

Rip Hunter is the son of Booster Gold

Booster Gold's sister was known as Goldstar and was a hero (not sure if that is a retcon but I don't remember it)
    "
    Is that a retcon though or just revealing something that was previously left unknown?
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hoboseid

Making Spectre a dumbass jobber
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Primmaster64

Damn

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @Methos: Y U MAKE ME HATE JOHNS MORE ?

Holy sh*t, I started reading GL from Rebirth, but I had absolutely no idea he retconned so much stuff !
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @Methos: Y U MAKE ME HATE JOHNS MORE ?  Holy sh*t, I started reading GL from Rebirth, but I had absolutely no idea he retconned so much stuff !

same.....damn geoff, i mean seriously damn
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hoboseid

He had Jason Todd become a holy man had he never met Batman, Hal beating the Bat in hand to hand was crap, Johns also wants Batman to return to his 1970s/80s good for nothing role on the JLA....but worse than his trashing of Batman is the Geoffcon hatred of Wonder Woman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.