User Lists: 0

Please...bring the real Justice Society back

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Hate to point this out but isn't this the same thing we hear before every big event/reboot/re-shift/re-alignment? The creators are all excited and now everything is going to be fixed and they're going to address everything that went wrong and the fans are in for some really exciting times!

And in a year I pick this stuff up out of the discount bin and nothing really changes but the next event will be the real game changer!

At the moment I can't afford comics, but I'm not sure that circumstance is as bad as it would have once been.

Yeah we always see them "excited for the new" and how this is all great. But they never talked about fixing things, this is even the first DC re-whatever, that didn't change the universe at all, just killed off some characters & returned some characters. So I think this really is the time they will fix as much as they can.

@zeeguy91 said:

No offense, dude but are you really just accusing Johns of lying even if he's straight up telling us that he doesn't have much editorial control?

And your evidence is that he's written a lot of events? Marvel events have been almost exclusively written by Bendis and Hickman for the past several years. However, can anyone really say that either of those two have any sort of editorial sway at Marvel Comics??

Hey, you could give me a good reason why I should believe him on this one. Like isn't it faily convenient for him to make this claim now when he was all for the New 52 5 years ago? Likewise, isn't it odd that his scapegoats in all of this is the fairly polarizing Dan Didio and that he's indirectly blaming Alan Moore for the cynical tone of the New 52 by making Manhattan the center of it? There is a point where you have to stop accepting his bs excuses for himself. He's as much to blame for the current state of things as Dan and Jim.

Unlike Johns, neither of those two have been handed a fancy title or is constantly placed front and center of their company's universe. And despite Rebirth claiming otherwise, Johns still has a gearleaver up the collective butts of every single writer working at DC to coordinate the post-Rebirth effort... just like he had post Flashpoint.

Not really, he doesn't have as much contorl as Dan & Jim, he even tried to make his first DC new 52 story edgy,, and it was the worst JL story he ever wrote. I'd say it's more likely he just went with "new 52 is great" because you're sure as hell not gonna say the new thing your company is doing is bad.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Tyger

I'm not sure why Dr. M is needed either. DC has plenty of characters with a similar powerset they could use, or spin off into a new character.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I certainly read it but I don't get it. Batman finds the pin stuck in the wall of the Batcave, then they show Wally West's missing watch being destroyed on Mars while the "audio" is playing a conversation with someone speaking to Adrian Veidt. So Watchmen is certainly a big part of this, but I don't get it. What was the big threat? It was sort of disappointing for this issue to just be the first step of a lot of buildup for something to come way down the line. Also, I wonder who the other character Wally felt in the Speed Force was.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MasterOfEvil

Beginning of the comic had me smiling, but that ending had floored. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@outside_85: Oh, okay. I don't necessarily agree but that makes a lot more sense than what I thought you meant, lol.

Wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they won't go the way of '' Dr Manhattan killed the Presence so he is basicly THE God now ''... I am good.

SwampPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 26

The level of disrespect towards Watchmen and Alan Moore that DC and Geoff Johns have is nauseating.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Curious is this means we will finally get Jade and Obsideon

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kilowog52: Likely it was Doctor Manhattan. Wally tried to see him but couldn't, but Owlman and Pandora saw him and he exploded both of them. The motive is still a mystery though.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: "And he and Didio disagree in very fundamental things."

Can you elaborate a little on this?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@kiba said:

@squalleon: "And he and Didio disagree in very fundamental things."

Can you elaborate a little on this?

The Reboot was one. Johns believes reboots don't work because you lose connection to the characters.

But last year he and Didio were in such bad terms (when it came to work decisions) that the whole DC building seemed to be divided. Check Bleeding Cool for their feud.

If Rebirth is any indication, Geoff Johns won that feud.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63  Edited By Zeeguy91

@outside_85 said:

Hey, you could give me a good reason why I should believe him on this one. Like isn't it faily convenient for him to make this claim now when he was all for the New 52 5 years ago? Likewise, isn't it odd that his scapegoats in all of this is the fairly polarizing Dan Didio and that he's indirectly blaming Alan Moore for the cynical tone of the New 52 by making Manhattan the center of it? There is a point where you have to stop accepting his bs excuses for himself. He's as much to blame for the current state of things as Dan and Jim.

Unlike Johns, neither of those two have been handed a fancy title or is constantly placed front and center of their company's universe. And despite Rebirth claiming otherwise, Johns still has a gearleaver up the collective butts of every single writer working at DC to coordinate the post-Rebirth effort... just like he had post Flashpoint.

Are you serious? Its well documented that the decision to reboot was made by Didio and Lee, who are in fact Johns's bosses (whether or not you want to accept that fact). Didio in particular was the one who was pushing for a reboot for a loooooooonnnnnng time, since before Levitz left. So, Didio is in no way a scapegoat for Johns. Didio DID make the decision to reboot. Johns was one of many people who were forced to go along with it. And if you think Johns somehow is controlling Didio, then I don't even know where your mind's at. Honestly, think about it. Would Johns, someone who has proven himself time and again as a hardcore fan of traditional DC and the DC Universe as it was, think it was a good idea to...wipe the slate clean and erase erase it all??????

Also, Johns is not BLAMING Moore for anything. Yes, he's using the Watchmen as a metaphor because their universe is indeed dark and realistic. However, in doing so, Johns is not saying "Alan Moore is to blame for everything dark DC has done in the past 30 years."

And finally, uh YES, Bendis and Hickman ARE always handed fancy titles and placed front and center (or at least was for Hickman). Hickman was handed the Avengers (Marvel's flagship title) as part of Marvel NOW! relaunch. He helmed several major events, including Infinity and, most recently, Secret Wars, which was the basis for another Marvel relaunch: ANAD Marvel. Bendis has helmed a majority of Marvel's events since 2004, from Avengers: Disassembled, Secret Invasion, Siege, House of M, etc. to, most recently, Civil War II. Johns is only really front and center at DC because part of his job as CCO makes him somewhat the press guy for DC, like Quesada at Marvel. It doesn't mean that he has much editorial control over the content of the books themselves. That is the reign of Bob Harass (as EIC) and Didio and Lee (as Co-Publishers).

Honestly, you talk about people not taking "his bs excuses" anymore, but you are on the opposite extreme. You're vilifying and demonizing him because of your own personal hatred of his writing without any concrete evidence to back up your assertions. Although, it really just seems that you hate him, as a person, which kind of borders on the irrational because you've likely never met him.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pandora dies. Never really seen her in action anyways, the little we did wasn't impressive whatsoever.

Putting all DC properties on the playing board. Interesting. Looking forward to it.

Dr. Manhattan killed the Presence?#juststartingshit

I though it was Gabriel, that was mentioned in another thread?

XavierMarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allan Moore is just about postal right now. . .

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Nite_Nite
Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Okay, the big surprise villain at the end, if you want to call it a villain...I wouldn't call it a villain, call it more of a presence.

I haven't understand.Can someone explain me please?:-)

I haven't seen the issue yet, just all the spoilers, so if he's referring to Dr. Manhattan I'd like to believe what he means is that like in the Watchmen story he was NOT a villain, where most of the stuff he did was because he saw himself being just as much as a puppet of the universe as everyone else. So he's not going to be a villain in Rebirth because it wouldn't fit his character. Though that is just me being hopeful and optimistic.

The presence part may be because he no longer sees himself bond by the universe and makes adjustments as he sees fit, be they good or bad, making him a presence throughout the upcoming DC universe.

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have to say it sounds like Johns, a person even the slightest fan of DC likes, is being given a raw deal. He has to hype up something even he sounds like he has no idea why it's moving forward. In this interview he makes the same statement twice, but in a contradictory fashion (toys/characters on a shelf).

What made the line look good at first was its desire to all jump in at once and tell something fresh. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, the first arcs of Batman and Aquaman knocked it out of the park. Mostly because they went to horror-themed places. Wonder Woman did well because for a character that was taken way too serious for years, they made her fun. Everything else though was more or less forgettable except for a few exceptions. The reason I say all of this is because the state of comics now are kind of insane and even Johns comes across that way of having to explain it away.

The competition between DC and Marvel left the books years ago, which is why DC I think had better stories for sometime. Now they're going the way of marvel where everything has to look like the movies. That's why we now have to have three jokers so people don't get up in arms when one appears in a book with grills and tattoos like Lil wayne just because the movies, which have yet to even remotely succeed, have him looking that way.

I find it also interesting that he mentions so many writers and leaves Snyder, who has been a home run king for the publisher for a bit, out of his pitch. The thing that stinks is DC, much like marvel, tends to spread themselves too thin over disillusion. Movie viewers and comic readers have never crossed over for more than a month or two upon release. Watching a two hour plus movie is less of a commitment than a monthly or bi weekly title. Those are facts. Sorry to rant but you can tell from this that he is a fan. He's going to the movies probably because maybe his ideas, that are good, will be put into film which will inevitably spill over into books. It's just a shame that they can't have less books and focus on story these days. Keep the stories separate since both audiences will never really overlap.

And I never thought I'd have to say this but don't let God be doctor manhattan.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: Thanks for info my friend.:-) Also one of my friend in Twitter also thinking The presence will be villains.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Is he paying you to be his sheep?

Oh, you mean because I don't form opinions based off of irrational hatred of a man I've never met with no concrete evidence to back up my assertions? Honestly, you're just short the tin foil hat.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:
@outside_85 said:

Oh, you mean because I don't form opinions based off of irrational hatred of a man I've never met with no concrete evidence to back up my assertions? Honestly, you're just short the tin foil hat.

Better that than on my hands and knees worshipping a false god.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DEGRAAF

I like Johns ideas the majority of the time and i like what they are doing now but when he did Flash Rebirth he said the same thing about Barry.

"Barry is my favorite and i grew up with Barry as the Flash"

He said the same thing about Hal Jordan too.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I know that. But it's still strange that it was never Zoom at the forefront given his abilities

i thought that was the whole point of Flashpoint is that while Zoom has gone back time and time again killing people around Barry but couldnt actually kill Barry bc then The Flash never would have existed which in turn means Zoom never would have existed, he wasn't the one that destroyed reality and that is was actually The Flash

Okay, the big surprise villain at the end, if you want to call it a villain...I wouldn't call it a villain, call it more of a presence.

I haven't understand.Can someone explain me please?:-)

I feel like this was a nod from Johns saying that Dr Manhattan and the presence are one in the same

Hope, Optimism and an emphasis on the past.... so what about Captain marvel? :(

While I think too many people are too hard on the New 52 and say it's dark (I was actually drawn to the heroics and color of it as a new reader) no other character represents something joyful and optimistic being torn down more than Captain marvel who's now basically a different character (different name, personality, powers, city, costume). Even more so bothersome since so many people loved Thunderworld and Cap's Convergence book, which clearly means that there are people who are willing to invest themselves into that version of the character and buy a book if he were to get a series with that same tone and personality.

They cant use the Name Captain Marvel. That is now owned by Marvel and I didnt think Shazam seemed that different compare to old Captain Marvel. I thought Shazam was written really well.

@ccraft said:
@MadeinBangladesh said:
@ccraft said:

@MadeinBangladesh: Nah he never takes credit for stuff people have problems with like BvS

He wasn't involved with BvS fool!

~MiB

He was executive producer on bvs you muck!

The role of executive producer varies greatly depending on the film. He could have been heavily involved in the writing and film making or he could have simply thrown his support behind the idea of the film and with Johns name attached it gives people hope that it will be true to the characters

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:
@outside_85 said:

Better that than on my hands and knees worshipping a false god.

Sure. Keep calling anybody who calls you out on your uninformed bull a sheep or "worshipping a false god." Whatever makes you feel like you're smarter than everyone else, champ (even if that's not true).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

Sure. Keep calling anybody who calls you out on your uninformed bull a sheep or "worshipping a false god." Whatever makes you feel like you're smarter than everyone else, champ (even if that's not true).

And you keep on demeaning those who disagree with you at your own volition. And keep that head down before your god decides to take a swipe at you.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@degraaf: Ugh....

That's incorrect, DC has never owned the trademark for that name but they have always been allowed to call him Captain marvel within comic books or other media so long as it's not on the cover or title of anything. That's why every DC series he's ever had has been called "Shazam" in some form or another.

Seriously, look at my screen name, did you really think i wouldn't know something that important about my favorite character?

Heck they just released a comic 3 weeks ago where he was called Captain marvel, before that they called him that in Convergence, and right before that he was called Captain Marvel in Multiversity. So yeah, they can use the name.

I didnt think Shazam seemed that different compare to old Captain Marvel.

If that's the case you need to read more Captain marvel comics, because that is basically a polar opposite of how the character is suppose to act.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I heard it's because he's been appointed chief creative officer, a position dealing heavily with the cinematic aspects of the DCU. Probably collaborating with directors and discussing storyboard which imo is a great get for them since Johns is a walking encyclopedia of DC lore. Sucks that he won't be around to monitor the progress of Rebirth. What worries me is Didio's involvement, never been much of a fan for my own reasons. Jim lee is a nice fulcrum point, glad he and Johns are there to level things out.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

And you keep on demeaning those who disagree with you at your own volition. And keep that head down before your god decides to take a swipe at you.

Please...keep talking as if you have any sort of high ground or as you've "won" this argument. Its hilarious.

save.me.now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Pandora dies. Never really seen her in action anyways, the little we did wasn't impressive whatsoever.

Putting all DC properties on the playing board. Interesting. Looking forward to it.

Flash the most important character to DC. Which is strange to me seeing how Zolomon's ability has more to do with time than white Wally's ever did.

Her Trinity of SIn: Pandora series was a pretty compelling read. If you're into stuff like Swamp Thing or Justice league Dark I'd recommend it. But I'd say read swamp thing (The 37 issue run) first if you haven't since it's the best of all 3 of those.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.