Follow

Genesis

Character » Genesis appears in 729 issues.

A clone of Apocalypse raised by Fantomex to become the ultimate weapon and a hero. The ultimate test of nature vs. nurture.

Genesis: Mutantkind's Next Great Savior, Or The Next Apocalypse?

• 92 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The concept of whether man is born inherently good or inherently evil has been disputed and discussed for centuries by political scientists, philosophers and religious leaders; and it continues to be a subject that many cannot agree on. Is man born either good or evil, or are we simply a product of our own environment? Do we have free will? Can society and our surroundings shape the people we become, or are we bound by our genetics?

No Caption Provided

You're probably wondering what the heck the philosophy of morality has to do with comics, right? Well, I'm going to get to that. If you have been reading both WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN and UNCANNY X-FORCE then you may recall seeing a character named Genesis. Genesis has not only appeared in several issues (particularly recently), but he's been at the center of some of them too. He is also why I have been thinking so much about free will and how it pertains to him. So, who is Genesis?

During the Dark Angel Saga story arc in UNCANNY X-FORCE, the Clan Akkaba brought back Apocolypse in the form of a young child, and were grooming him to become the next Apocalypse. The X-Force team discovered this and made it their duty to stop the Clan Akkaba -- but the only way to achieve their goal was to ensure that the young boy did not grow up to become Apocalypse; even if that meant ending his life.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The story ended with Fantomex shooting Genesis square between his eyes -- killing the boy instantly. Fantomex knew that the only way to prevent Apocalypse from returning was to destroy the boy when he had the chance. Even if he was still just a boy. Yet, whether he simply wanted to test a theory, or whether he did it because he felt some remorse at murdering what was still an innocent child; he decided to clone Genesis. He began raising the cloned child in a controlled, virtual environment where he could influence everything that happened to him. By controlling his environment and giving him a very different kind of life, would the boy with these same genes still eventually grow up to become the evil Apocalypse? Would the healthy, loving environment provided by Fantomex affect his free will? Would it influence him to become a good person, disproving the idea that his genetics predetermined whether or not he would grow up to be evil?

No Caption Provided

We've gotten some hints regarding the future of Genesis, but so far it doesn't look too promising for him. On more than one occasion more than one person has seen the boy's future; and although many would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, it's something that is easier said than done. In an issue of WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, Deathlok was able to see into Genesis' future, and it seems no amount of work by Fantomex will change the boy's destiny -- there is still a huge chance he will eventually grow up to become Apocalypse. But why? Perhaps because Fantomex pulled the boy out of his virtual life too soon. In Uncanny X-Force #19 during the Dark Angel Saga, Warren had all but disappeared and had all but entirely succumbed to Apocalypse. Seeing that the X-Force were losing the fight, Fantomex pulls Genesis out of the virtual life he had created for him early in order to have him fight Archangel whose mind had been taken over by Apocalypse. Could the separation of the boy and the only family he has ever known be enough to trigger something in his mind? Could this loss have the power to cut him so deeply that it could lead him to becoming Apocalypse and turning on those around him?

No Caption Provided

Many psychologists say that social imprinting can mold an individual or animal, and that a person's morality is largely shaped by his or her parents. In fact, children often reflect the moral behavior of their parents -- and if Ma and Pa in Kansas are the only parents the boy has ever known, then wouldn't that act as a positive influence on Genesis? Wouldn't that mold him into becoming a good person?

Morality is largely shaped by parents. Children imitate their parents and gain their morality from the morality of their parents. If parents try to teach their child one thing, but do another, the child will more likely copy the actual behavior of its parents…people who behave according to their morals will have strong consciences and will feel bad even if their transgression is a minor one, while people with low morality can easily commit an atrocity and not feel bad. However, attitudes and behaviors change with experiences and disagreements with others. Morals also change when your behavior goes against them.

Whether or not the creative teams of these books are taking all of this into account remains to be seen, but it's certainly interesting to see them ddealing with interesting concepts like free will and whether we are really products of our environments. What do you think? Do you think Genesis will grow up to become Apocalypse, or do you think he still has a chance to be one of the "good guys"? Is there a comic that has made you really think? Which one?

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AskaniSon295

Him and Hope would make such a Cute couple Hope+Genesis=MarvelNew52 and Nate Grey can be the older brother who's like I'm not sure about this guy and Cable will clean his gun when he comes to pick hope up for a date.

luke_kerridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By luke_kerridge

I'm sorry, but the first bit is ridiculous. It's definitely the environment we grow up in, there's no way that we're born good or evil

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redhood21

he will unite with phil collins

Avatar image for deactivated-62dfe515b2439
    deactivated-62dfe515b2439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be interesting to see an Apocalypse VS Genesis matchup once En Sabah Nur finally comes back.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By GothamRed

I hope he turns out good, having him be evil would be a step in the wrong direction

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

By all rights, he should be a good guy.

But it's inevitable that someone will make him into the next Apocalypse.

TDK_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TDK_88

I would love for him to stick around as "Genesis" a while longer as i really dig the character.

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spiderslike

I think once Evan discovers who he used to be he will be angry and vengeful for a time and indeed become Apocalypse but I think eventually he will make the right choice realizing that he can be who he chooses to be especially since Angel is acting as his friend and is currently far different from either Warren or Archangel.

Nefilim927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Nefilim927

I love Genesis/Evan and am so glad this article was done. I think he has all intentions of being good but depending on how long the truth is kept from him and how exactly he finds out will be the turning point for him. I love any time him and Angel appear together.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mutant God

even if he is Apoc there are other Saviors: Hope, Franklin Richards, Nate Grey, Squirrel Girl

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skaddix

Yeah, he would have to go through Franklin first which is unlikely. Then again Franklin not the sharpest tool in the tool shed.

Still yeah someone will turn him evil. Besides its not like Marvel would ever move the timeline enough to see what he would be like as an adult. Outside of a Mini or a Flash Forward Arc. Small chance of a new MC2.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mattwing87

I think they should keep him good or an anti-hero (a slim, sleeker version with dual pistols!). Making him into the next Apocalypse is too expected and obvious. At least have him, in the story, let him choose for himself who he wants to be...Genesis or Apocalypse.

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the creator

If any of you get to watch a BBC tv show called Horizon, I recommend you watch the episode entitled, "Are you good or evil" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014kj65). One scientist found that his DNA (having a specific gene - the warrior gene) and brain scan profile matched up with patterns seen in psychopaths. He is described as having certain behavioural traits by his family that indicate a 'cold disregard / latent violence' but he did not act on them due to his loving upbringing. We are all a result of both our genetics and environment. Genesis should be no different but perhaps Marvel will ignore this.

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMultiverse

While i really want him to turn out good. I can't see it happening. The sole purpose for his existence in the universe is to be the mutant savior. Maybe they use Genesis to humanize him more, because in the end that makes the best villain. Scott is acting a lot like Apocalypse right now.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Genesis already shows he's got a temper equal to that of Apocalypse, but I hope it doesn't end up being another repeat of the Iron Lad-into-Kang ting that went on with the Young Avengers. 

I'm still hoping Evan meets Apocalypse in a weird time thing and then have to choose to either follow his "father" or to follow what he was raised to believe/his heart.

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By allthatsgeek

Ok, here's just ONE of my issues with Wolverine. He didn't want to kill Genesis because he's a child who hasn't made a choice to be evil, just saddled with the possibilty of it. Yet he's so ready to stab the shit out of Hope, who is herself a child saddled with a possibility for evil, but choosing to try to fight it. In fact, Logan has been pulling a lot of this hypocrisy BS. Cyclops has a wetworks team? The Beast burns that bridge and quits the team. Wolverine does it even AFTER cyclops disbands the first team? "OH WELL WE ALL EXPECT IT FROM WOLVERINE, IT'S OK." Way to be a dick, Logan.

jcbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jcbart

I love the similarities in seeing Genesis and Hope's stories. One is having their nature/nurture conflict thrust upon them constantly, whereas the other is leading a life so far much more free from these moral questions and responsibilities.

I can't wait to see where these two characters go.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_fallen11

This is a VERY cool article, while I do very much like Genisis, I feel that the boy will unfortunately succumb to the darkness within, Warren sees the darkness inside him too and makes the descion to lie to him, Like an Anakin Skywalker thing...you know he's going to become Darth Vader... which makes the situation all the more tragic, while you go through this journey with him you develop a connection to him, you like him (or you're supposed to like him...right George Lucas? *facepalm*) I feel the same thing will apply to Genesis, maybe he will find redemption..maybe he won't but I fear things will get worse before they get better for Evan.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By saoakden

Genesis is capable of so much. Although now I think about it, he can become the villain. If someone found out that they were really a clone from a villain, they could snap, plus he could have some trust issues or something since his parents were in a vitural reality.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

Wolverine's right though when he said we had to chart are course in life, hopefully Genesis will walk down the right path, he'll just need to be guided with the right choices

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Herokiller12344

Oh Please, Oh God Please. Let Apocalypse come back. I want En Sabah Nur not Evan Sabahnur, not that Joke that carries his Dna. I want Evan to turn evil, let it be known that above all else I support Apocalypse.

MonsieurShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MonsieurShogun

@redhood21: If he's as good as the peter gabriel years, the x-men will have nothing to worry about.

Master_Of_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Master_Of_Evil

this is going to come back and bite Fantomex and everybody else in the butt

DJ1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DJ1107

Knowing the X-men history of all their members NEVER having a happy life Evan will ultimately become Apocalypse. It's just inevitable.

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ijan092

I think He'll become the next apocalypse...

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

How many "could be a savior or could be their end" characters do the X-Men have now? I guess with all these messiahs and the like, the X-Men have to eventually get one, right?

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Namor1987

He's going to turn heel on Fantomex once he learns that Uncle Cluster gave his "brother" a 3 eye! Lol Evan will snap & eventually kick everyone arses & thus set up for Hope vs Genesis.

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bunkerbuster05

@DJ1107 said:

Knowing the X-men history of all their members NEVER having a happy life Evan will ultimately become Apocalypse. It's just inevitable.

I can only hope he actually remains a "good guy" for a long time and has a dramatic fall into becoming Apocalypse.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#29  Edited By Teerack

eventually he will go bad.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By owie  Moderator
    @allthatsgeek said:

Ok, here's just ONE of my issues with Wolverine. He didn't want to kill Genesis because he's a child who hasn't made a choice to be evil, just saddled with the possibilty of it. Yet he's so ready to stab the shit out of Hope, who is herself a child saddled with a possibility for evil, but choosing to try to fight it. In fact, Logan has been pulling a lot of this hypocrisy BS. Cyclops has a wetworks team? The Beast burns that bridge and quits the team. Wolverine does it even AFTER cyclops disbands the first team? "OH WELL WE ALL EXPECT IT FROM WOLVERINE, IT'S OK." Way to be a dick, Logan.

Exactly!

As for the article, Genesis seems like an interesting character.  I just encountered him in the last Wolverine and the  X-Men and he picqued my interest, so I'm glad to read this summary.
    rigormortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rigormortis

Turning him back into Apocalypse would be an incredibly dull non-twist. Writers have a chance to explore some new territory with the character here. Definitely have him struggle with his destiny, that's fantastic drama, but in the end, we have years and years of Apocalypse. Wouldn't it be more interesting and exciting if someday Genesis became an X-Man?

etamogrey77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By etamogrey77

i'd love for evan to turn into a great superhero but it probably won't happen and someones gonna turn him into apocalypse its inevitable

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By FoxxFireArt

This sounds a great deal like the Nature vs. Nurture debate we had in my Psych Class. I don't think we get our morality from our parents.
    Both me and my older brother were raised by the same mother. He used to be terribly homophobic, but got better about that when he got to know a friend of our mom. My brother is a major conservative, and I'm a registered Independent with liberal leanings. Just because people live their lives in a way that is different to mine doesn't make them wrong or me right. Just as long as you aren't hurting others.

Seeing how these are comics. Genesis will become Apocalypse at some point. One day, some writer will make him Apocalypse. Comic characters will always give in to their darker urges at some point. Look at how many times Warren has become Death.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By frozenedge2

Its a battle between Evan and Hope right now for who's gonna destroy the world first since all crazy powerful mutants for some reason have problems figuring out whats right and whats wrong.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Wolverine is a hypocrite.

"GRR! WE NEED TO KILL HOPE! SAVE THE WORLD! GRRRR!"

"What? Clone of Apocalypse that they tell me is gonna be evil? Naaaaaw, he's okay!"

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By John Valentine

I love Genesis. I really hope he becomes a hero.

@allthatsgeek said:

The Kid Apocalypse in Apocalypse Solution was actually killed. He'd already been indoctrinated.

Fantomex grew/created Evan to be a hero, using a genetic sample he'd taken from the first Kid Apocalypse at the end of Apocalypse Solution.

The point about Hope is that she represents a more immediate and deadly threat, whereas Kid Apocalypse really wasn't an immediate problem for X-Force. The Phoenix Force is seemingly uncontrollable and unstoppable. The Dark Phoenix did more damage than Apocalypse ever has and Wolverine's been witness to both.

The Beast/Scott thing runs a lot deeper than just X-Force. Mainly based on their friendship and Beast's sense of betrayal from the man who used to be one of his closest friends. In effect, it's a double standard for Wolverine, but people expect this sort of thing from Wolverine, but not really from Cyclops.

Wolverine told Beast and Kitty outright for the sake of honesty; Scott only told Beast when he needed his help with time travel. Beast has shown his disdain for Wolverine's squad just as much as he did for Scott's.

Also, Apocalypse Solution occurred way before Schism. It's entirely acceptable that Wolverine changed his views in this time.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John Valentine

@RigorMortis said:

Wouldn't it be more interesting and exciting if someday Genesis became an X-Man?

That would be the smartest thing Marvel's done in years.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sentryman555

Knowing Marvel Genesis will choose to be a good guy and sacrifice himself to save the planet or some crap. Or he'll be bad and end up fighting Hope like someone above said.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ssejllenrad

@DJ1107 said:

This

Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vendel

The only way to save mutantkind is to become Apocalypse.

crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crazed_h3ro

I really feel bad for Logan. He is trying his best to raise these kids to become Great people some day, something that he never had the chance to be. But it just seems, that S@#$ happens, maybe a bit too often foe Logan. Come one The new Hellfire club, the return of Sabretooth, and the aftermath of AVX isn't going to help at all for him. Why can't Logan ever get a Brake?

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#42  Edited By CircularLogic

@Cafeterialoca said:

Wolverine is a hypocrite.

"GRR! WE NEED TO KILL HOPE! SAVE THE WORLD! GRRRR!"

"What? Clone of Apocalypse that they tell me is gonna be evil? Naaaaaw, he's okay!"

Actually, if you guys read Uncanny x-men, Hope asked Wolverine to kill her if it turned out she would be the one to destroy the world. So it's all justified why he tried to do what he did

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Very tough metaphysical question when you get down to basics. Nature or nurture. To say that ones like Genesis are fated to be evil and his case become the next Apocalypse is to accept the doctrine of philosophy of predestination. In a way its to say that forces beyond our control pretty much run the show, and that we are only mere players in the grander scheme of things. Ont he flip side, to have true free will means we make our choices that help determine our fate. In truth since this deals with basically an issue related to literature, I would be ready and willing to say that if there is a predestined fate for ones like Genesis, it is due to a 'greater plan' that ones like TOAA or even the Celestials had in mind for mankind. Whether free will exists is purely a concept that either great beings like this bestow upon human beings...or at the very least are sanctioned by who's writing the comic. It really is one of those unanswerable questions, especially when it shows that possibly no amount of nurture on Fantomex's part could have prevented Genesis from going down the dark path. Tough call all around I say when considering this question.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By notarandomguy

@allthatsgeek said:

This is different, Phoenix Force is involved, by hand, Logan knows waaay too personal what the PF can do, and let's not forget, the PF is the main reason the woman he loved, is dead.... so they're kinda just showing that side of him which is good cause not every reader knows about the history of Scott, Jean and Logan and how it all sadly ended. (For Logan :P )

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@notarandomguy: Logan doesn't know POOP about the Phoenix Force! He has Rachel Grey, who has mastered the Phoenix Force before! And no, PF was killed by Magneto the latest time! They just retconned all the times Jean Grey has been back and they're just saying "Jean killed herself and that's that."

Seriously, Wolverine doesn't know what he's talking about!

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By notarandomguy

@John Valentine said:

I love Genesis. I really hope he becomes a hero.

@allthatsgeek said:

The Kid Apocalypse in Apocalypse Solution was actually killed. He'd already been indoctrinated.

Fantomex grew/created Evan to be a hero, using a genetic sample he'd taken from the first Kid Apocalypse at the end of Apocalypse Solution.

The point about Hope is that she represents a more immediate and deadly threat, whereas Kid Apocalypse really wasn't an immediate problem for X-Force. The Phoenix Force is seemingly uncontrollable and unstoppable. The Dark Phoenix did more damage than Apocalypse ever has and Wolverine's been witness to both.

The Beast/Scott thing runs a lot deeper than just X-Force. Mainly based on their friendship and Beast's sense of betrayal from the man who used to be one of his closest friends. In effect, it's a double standard for Wolverine, but people expect this sort of thing from Wolverine, but not really from Cyclops.

Wolverine told Beast and Kitty outright for the sake of honesty; Scott only told Beast when he needed his help with time travel. Beast has shown his disdain for Wolverine's squad just as much as he did for Scott's.

Also, Apocalypse Solution occurred way before Schism. It's entirely acceptable that Wolverine changed his views in this time.

notarandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By notarandomguy

@Cafeterialoca: Oh, eso crees? well I respect your opinion, especially cause you reminded me the Magneto part (even tough you're missing A LOT), yet Rachel is a different case, if you read any of @Starjammers issues you should know, or if you read any of Rachel history you might see what I can't explain, but like I say, is your opinion.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Mbecks14

Yawn. Remember when the X-men were interesting?

doomsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By doomsilver

Evan is one of my favorite comic people (I like clones!) so I hope he makes a choice that's not based on anything but his own charater.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@notarandomguy: I still don't like it. Stupid Wolverine. Always hated that character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.