brentp256's Generation X '97 #1 - The Wages of Despair review

Avatar image for brentp256
  • brentp256 wrote this review on .
  • brentp256 has written a total of 2 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Generation X Annual: 1997 (Oct 1997)

This issue takes place sometime before the current Operation: Zero Tolerance that is taking place during the month of this release.  This is an adaptation by Maggin of a novel by Scott Lobdell and Elliot S! Maggin.

While the Generation X kids train, they begin to see apparitions of the headmistress Emma Frosts' former students, now deceased...the Hellions. The demon known as D'spayre has diabolic plans for Gen X!

Told from the perspective of Chamber, the whole issue felt rather distant...as if I was being told everything, instead of being shown.  Still, though, it was a good story, and I enjoyed seeing more of how chamber thinks and reacts to the world around him...as everyone else becomes unable, or unwilling to.  This is the first time I really remember seeing the heart of a hero in him.