Follow

Game of Thrones

Series »

A fantasy TV show on HBO, filled with war and political intrigue. The show is based on author George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of novels.

Game of Thrones Episode #501: "The Wars to Come"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: There are spoilers for the episode in this review.

The opening scene features a young Cersei as she visits a local "witch" who tells her future. Cersei has always been an awful person, even as a bratty little child. We haven't seen any flashbacks on this show, but this was a really cool one because she's always been an incredibly vicious and cold character and it's obvious the witch knows her future by the way she laughs after telling Cersei about the children she'll have while married to the king... because her brother is the father of the children.

The back and forth dialogue between Tyrion and Varys is fantastic. Tyrion's dialogue is always great though. It's smart, witty, and always one upping the person he's talking to. His match of wits with Varys is incredibly pleasing. Plus, Tyrion has a sweet beard in this episode, which is always a good thing. The two will be heading to Meereen to discuss things with Daenerys, who, deep down, still wants to be queen, but not of Meereen.

The Sons of the Harpy are incredibly creepy and have this great cult feeling to them. Their first murder is incredibly shocking and comes out of nowhere, which really sets to tone for Daenerys' story in Meereen. We don't see them much, but what we do see is pretty haunting. In addition, she's been told the people of Meereen want the fighting pits back open, but she is against it at first. She may have been in Meereen for a while, but her growth as queen here is incredibly interesting to watch.

Daenerys goes back to see her two dragons (one flew away), which she locked away, after one of them burned a child. She feels she can no longer control them, and she's partly right. They've grown. They're angry. They don't like being locked away and Daenerys is frightened. The thing that made her a powerful force is now the thing she's most scared of. Her story isn't incredibly complex, but because she's so far away from everyone else, isolated, her journey just because it feels fresh and a bit more interesting.

Really fantastic turning point at The Wall as Stannis Baratheon discusses taking Winterfell with Jon Snow, but Stannis wants the Wildlings to bow to him and help him in the fight. Jon Snow has until nightfall to get the king of the Wildlings to follow suit. It's a bold move for Stannis and makes you wonder if this will actually happen or if the Wildlings will eventually turn on the "King." Mance Rayder, the king of the wildlings, still holds his morals high and will not do so in his fantastically written scene with Jon Snow. When Mance is face to face with Stannis, he will not do so. Mance is burned to death as the fire is set by Melisandre, after a very pompous speech about following the right god. She's a wonderful villain and someone I enjoy despising each week. It is slow, painful and incredibly tough to watch. Luckily, Jon Snow ends things quickly for him by shooting him.

No Caption Provided

First and foremost, Joffrey is still dead. I continue to be happy.

This episode truly sets the tone for what's looking to be a dynamite first season. Each story we'll be seeing is all put out in the open here and while some stories are strong than others, all of it is incredibly captivating and engaging.

What this episode does very well is juggle everything and giving viewers what they want, without sacrificing quality. Sure, some characters got a lot more screentime in this episode, mainly Daenerys and Jon Snow, but it makes you want to continue to watch. It's easy to say Game of Thrones is the best show currently on television, and there's little to nothing negative to say about this opening episode. It's a show that gets viewers invested in its characters and the viewer will become incredibly passionate about who they love and hate on this show.

Game of Thrones continues to be utterly wonderful.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

YESSS CV doing GoT reviews!! Good work MAt!

Great first episode 8/10

~MiB

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By JakeN7

Smart move getting into the GoT reviewing game, guys.

I certainly did not think this was one of GoT's better episodes, especially in comparison to episode 2. But the worst episodes of Game of Thrones are still solid 8s in terms of overall TV quality.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really do feel sorry for these characters. Such a grim, hopeless world.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@jaken7 said:

I certainly did not think this was one of GoT's better episodes, especially in comparison to episode 2. But the worst episodes of Game of Thrones are still solid 8s in terms of overall TV quality.

Yeah, this was all set-up, but it still had me pumped for the season. There are only two shows where a bad episode (which this wasn't bad, but you catch my drift) can get a 5/5: GoT and Breaking Bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

King Joffrey is the new Frumpy Poison Ivy.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Yeah, this was all set-up, but it still had me pumped for the season. There are only two shows where a bad episode (which this wasn't bad, but you catch my drift) can get a 5/5: GoT and Breaking Bad.

Yupp! Those'd be the two. Totally agree.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff
    Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is a nice surprise.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Best part of this episode was that it was directed by Michael Slovis, AKA the Director of Photography for all of Breaking Bad. His style is felt throughout the whole episode.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#12  Edited By SynCig

Solid episode. Typical of a first episode in a season it was all setting up the new status quo for the characters but it was still engaging. I'd give it a four because I expect much of the season to come will be much better. Especially after watching the preview after the episode.

Zef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where are the other 6 episodes... cmon HBO!

World is dark and full of pirates

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@inferiorego: But Joffrey was one of my favorite characters.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@inferiorego: That was a one time crap joke........ Ever one hates King Joffrey.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlKusanagi

No Arya, -2 stars. More than 5 minutes of Danerys, -1 star.

Oh, but Dark Sansa is awesome, so +1 star, and Stannis is still a G, so +1 more.

4/5

Edit: Wait, another +1 for how perfectly cast Evil Tween Cercei was.

5/5!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

This has been quite the weekend for great television.

Now, with Izombie, Flash and Arrow coming back, when can keep it goin!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

And man, Cersei has been a b*tch all her life.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Solid opener to the season. Curious that we didn't begin with a cold open, the first sequence would've made a solid one.

Cheap Plug to User Reivew

@inferiorego why you gotta speak ill of the dead like that man. Why can't you let their evilness be washed away by the sands of time and let the slow sanctification of King Joffery to begin.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

ahah

~MiB

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By laabitres

wait until you watch episode 4

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jaken7:

They like them clicks.

Great episode. So much good TV on now it's great.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheComedian_

Sweet! Where can I get the comics?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator
    senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Lance gave Stannis props on how much better a king he would be for Westeros.

That was beautiful and brutal.

(and is highlights how screwed team Lannister is going to be without their two big brains)

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooooo GoTgets a review on a COMIC book website yet AoS has been getting into the inhumans and been great this season gets 0 reviews? Not to mention Agent carter got 1 review out of all its episodes but arrow,flash and gotham get weekly reviews

Bring back gregg!

CV has been very anti marvel as of late

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 inferiorego  Staff

Sooooo GoTgets a review on a COMIC book website yet AoS has been getting into the inhumans and been great this season gets 0 reviews? Not to mention Agent carter got 1 review out of all its episodes but arrow,flash and gotham get weekly reviews

Bring back gregg!

Well, there have been a TON of Game of Thrones comics from Dynamite. Also, there have been 8 reviews for AoS in the second season and there was more than 1 Agent Carter review. As for us being "anti-Marvel." We're also apparently "anti DC" and "anti indie books." Some of you folks just see what you want to see, so you can get angry and yell in the comment section without looking at the facts.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a long follower of the books, I had hoped for a few things they trimmed off of the material they used. Maybe they filmed more of the flashback and Cersei will later think upon the portion that wasn't there?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This continues to be one of my favorite TV shows to date. That said my overall feelings about it have not changed after this season premiere. I love the acting, the dialogue, and the characters but I think the story always sucks. Since the beginning it's barely been an actual plot, more of a string of tragic events meant to produce intrigue and drama for the characters rather than building up for a satisfactory ending to an overall arc. Not that there's anything wrong with that as I'm still enjoying the ride immensely. I just can't foresee the constant deaths of even more important figures to lead to anything but more tragedy for this fictional world. Currently the three factions with the most power are: Danaerys, The Tyrells, and Little Finger. Everyone else is lucky to be alive.

You're wrong Mat. I don't know what about but you must be wrong about something.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2 said:

Bring back gregg!

Well, there have been a TON of Game of Thrones comics from Dynamite. Also, there have been 8 reviews for AoS in the second season and there was more than 1 Agent Carter review. As for us being "anti-Marvel." We're also apparently "anti DC" and "anti indie books." Some of you folks just see what you want to see, so you can get angry and yell in the comment section without looking at the facts.

I can smell the burn. But really, 'tis nice to have reviews on TV shows like these here. Good thing they made comics from A Song of Ice and Fire.

theavatarguruu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wondering, in case anyone knows but I don't.. Did Daenerys dragons not recognize her or..?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 inferiorego  Staff

Just wondering, in case anyone knows but I don't.. Did Daenerys dragons not recognize her or..?

Maybe a little bit of that? I also took it as they were pissed for being locked up.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Yea, but even the good ones. I used to like the mother of dragons but she's gotten so full of herself...

theavatarguruu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Really hope she can control them.. What is a mother of dragons, without dragons?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#37  Edited By StMichalofWilson

A review for Game of Thrones! What maddness is this? xP Anyways good review

Avatar image for the_amazing_spider-fan
    The_Amazing_Spider-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dragons were just saying hello - she is fireproof Afterall, it isn't as though she was in danger...

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See Daredevil fans this is a amazing TV show, DD is around walking dead level good/great.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first 4 eps feel slow

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#41  Edited By The Impersonator

@vivide said:

first 4 eps feel slow

The show is supposed to be slow because of it's complicated story-telling. It's good this way, so that viewers know the characters and their situations.There are lot of these characters, which is kinda hard to remember who is who and what's going on between them.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

first 4 eps feel slow

The show is supposed to be slow because of it's complicated story-telling. It's good this way, so that viewers know the characters and their situations.There are lot of these characters, which is kinda hard to remember who is who and what's going on between them.

Also it is their first time deviating from the entire book series, but disappointing compared to earlier 4 eps of earlier 4 seasons

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.