Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

horseman of death

leigh_rogue888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remember reading that gambit had the death personality pop up and take over a couple times from his apocalypse experience a while back. But now he seems normal with no issues. What happened to him that that was fixed?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2 god_spawn  Moderator

He still has it to my knowledge. I might have missed something, though. But I know the topic hasn't been touched on in a few years.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think he still has it.

leigh_rogue888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last I remember it popping up was in limbo while rescuing magik when it took over.

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall Rick Remender stating that Archangel turning into Death canceled out Gambit's transformation into Death. The last time his Death persona made an appearance was sometime in X-Men: Legacy during Carey's run, when Blindfold confronted Gambit about the Death identity growing inside him, and Death took over him for a moment. I'm pretty sure that's the last time Deathbit has been mentioned.

In other words, Mike Carey was building up the storyline but either dropped it or didn't have time to carry it out. Gambit also being Death didn't fit into Remender's plans (or he just couldn't bother with it, as he's openly stated that he has no interest in Gambit) so he ended the whole plotline in interviews.

In other words, Gambit got better, and Death is dead - unless some future writer decided to pick up the plotline.

Personally, I never cared much for the "Gambit as Death" plotline, so I'm not sad to see in go, even with a whimper. I didn't find it particularly compelling, and I think battling with his Death persona hindered Gambit as a character. It just never promised anything of interest.

Although I do recall someone here at the Comicvine forums suggesting that it would be cool if the Death persona got somehow separated from Gambit and turned into its own individual being & became Gambit's new nemesis. Now that would make a wicked story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.