Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Gambits arch enemy

• 56 results
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By stumpy49er

If Gambit were to get another solo comic (hopefully) who would you want as his arch enemy?
    Every good super hero needs a good nemesis, who would you like to see as Gambits?

For me: there is always Bella Donna, but I can't really see her as his arch enemy, more jilted lover. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an original character created to become his arch, maybe someone from his past, from the thieves or assassins guild.
    As for villains who already exist, Mr. Sinister and the Marauders are always good, except I consider Sinister to be Cyclops arch nemesis. I'm a huge fan of Sauron, I would love to see that rivalry, though I don't really see how Sauron would have any connection to Gambit, wouldn't make sense. I remember Gambit had some rivalry with X-Cutioner a while back, though I don't know much about that character, but I'm not sure he's really a full villain. Other random villains: Pyro (I know he's dead, but they always come back), Omega Red (though he's more of a Wolvie baddie), Avalanche, Juggernuaght, Mystique...
    anyway, let me know your thoughts!

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By jrock85
    @stumpy49er: 
    He also had a bitter rivalry with Sabretooth. I'd like for him and Daken to become arch enemies because he's a relatively new villain and it would make for all sorts of drama since he's Wolverine's son.
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By armylife1124

I think it would have to be a new villain, or one that he has only faced a few times.  Then you could find a way to tie it into the Thieves Guild and Bella Donna.  I think you could work  a Shadow King tie in, from when he was helping Storm get away from him during the old X-Comics.  I like the Daken idea, because it would cause Wolverine and Gambit to bump heads.

methias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By methias

Ya, I think a new villain being introduced would work well.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By IrishX

@stumpy49er: 

Mister X could be cool. He's a pretty badass character without anything going on. The best idea would prob. be to introduce a new character though. 

jakeeboi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By jakeeboi17

Most likely introduce a new character who has a way to counteract his kinetic powers, like being able to absorb and rechannel all kinetic energy that is thrown their way?

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By KenTheProfile

I woukd say Gambit himself. given his past and the future that might come. his biggest battle is against himself
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jrock85

At the C2E2 summit Marjorie Liu said she plans to continue developing Gambit as well as having him butt heads with Daken. This has all the makings of a great storyline because squaring of against Daken means that Gambit will inevitably have to but heads with Wolverine.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stumpy49er
    @jrock85:  Sounds promising. 

I was even thinking I could see him having a rivalry with Deadpool. It would have been great if Deadpool had a connection to the assassins Guild and became a rival of Gambit. But Deadpools everywhere now and I'm kind of sick of him at this point. How does Deadpool have a solo comic and not Gambit?  
    Gambit and Deadpool debuted around the same time if I'm not mistaken.
    Gambit is an original character, Deadpool is a ripoff of Deathstroke. 
    sorry, ranting.
    jayskee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jayskee

Daken Taskmaster or an xman villian
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'd like to see em create a new villain for him preferably someone from the Assassins Guild.  Or maybe the descendant of a Morlock seeking revenge for Gambit's involvement in the Massacre (or lack there of).

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

It's a shame Candra is dead. I always liked her and she was a good villain for Gambit. Between her telekinesis and her ability to give powers to other people, she could have remained a serious threat to Gambit.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrock85

I think a future, evil version of himself would be a good arch enemy for him. Kind of like Kessler is to Cole McGrath (inFamous).

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkcloakx

i vote for bishop. just watch x-men tas and you'll see why and besides he's evil anyway.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Green Skin
    I always thought Bullseye would be a good Gambit villian...too bad he's dead.

@KenTheProfile said:
    " I woukd say Gambit himself. given his past and the future that might come. his biggest battle is against himself "
    @jrock85 said:
    " I think a future, evil version of himself would be a good arch enemy for him. Kind of like Kessler is to Cole McGrath (inFamous). "
     Didn't they already do that in one of his old solo books?  New Son was just an alt version of Gambit afterall.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jrock85
    @Green Skin: 
    Yeah, they did do that in his first ongoing but New Son wasn't particularly evil so much as misguided. I'm suggesting someone as powerful as New Son but also a complete monster.
    Dex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dex

I would Def say his arch enemy would be sinister. He has an interesting relationship with him and I've waiting for the day that gambit would do something to spit in his face.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jrock85
    @Dex: 
    Sinister could also be considered Cyclops' arch enemy as well. I prefer someone who's not really associated with the X-Men. Except for maybe Daken.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @Dex said:
    " I would Def say his arch enemy would be sinister. He has an interesting relationship with him and I've waiting for the day that gambit would do something to spit in his face. "
    I'm with you. Theres a ton of history those two have yet to work out.
    Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ashra

Gambit's arch enemy:   
     (waits for rotten eggs)
    In all seriousness, I'd probably go with Sinister.

snapevsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By snapevsh

an evil dark clone of gambit

snapevsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By snapevsh

gambit as death

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

Bullseye would be a cool villain for Gambit. Not arch villain, but they should butt heads more often. 

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jrock85

Just saw an image from Daken #9 of Gambit preparing to square off with Daken. Baaaaaadaaaaaassssss.
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stumpy49er

@snapevsh said:

" gambit as death "

I was thinking of this as well. I'm not a fan of Gambit as death, I hate the idea really, but if somehow they could separate Gambit from his Death persona and make Death Gambit his own character, that would make a great villain.

Mr. Sinister is a great villain too, but I do think of him as more of Cyclops nemesis or just an overall X Men villain, not that Mr. Sinister can't be a common foe of Gambit. I just want more of a personal villain for Gambit alone.

I think a very cool character type to be Gambits nemesis would be, as other posters mentioned, a dark, anti Gambit. Create a character from his past, a mutant outlaw who grew up in the Thieves Guild or Assassins Guild, maybe was in the Thieves Guild but went over to the Assassins Guild. Someone who was either a rival of his growing up or a friend who eventually betrayed him. I like the idea of a villain who's a thief, drug dealer, murderer; a 'cracked out' version of Gambit. An outlaw who has no qualms about doing anything to get what he wants. Think of Asimov from Cowboy Bebop (he was the villain in the 1st episode, Asteroid Blues). A dirty fighter who doesn't mind using guns, knives, explosives. As for mutant powers, not sure really but it should be something that makes for great fights with Gambit. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jrock85
    @stumpy49er:
    I think some sort of malevolent entity that possesses all of the soles of the Morlocks that died during the massacre would be a good idea.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RedHoodJT

Daken. He is the best choice for Gambit. Wolverine and Gambit don't really get along much and it just makes sense to have Wolverine's son be the one that goes up against Gambit. Which in turn would force Wolverine to choose between his son who is a villain in every sense of the word or an ex team member/friend.

84taskmaster84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 84taskmaster84

I would go with Sinister or Daken.Maybe a whole new villian but i just think there is too much between Sinister and gambit.I am a huge gambit fan i need gambit to end it with sinister.The whole sinister depowered gambit thing he needs to set that right get himself straight ya know his inner deamons and all never got worked out.I fell gambit need to tie up his own back story then move on to a new villian meaning Daken.I am just sick of sinister turning off gambits powers and all that.

XRiskyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By XRiskyX

If you ask me his once brother in law and Belladonna's brother Julien Boudreaux would make a good arch villain.

No Caption Provided
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stumpy49er

The more I think about it, the more I realise that Mr. Sinister might just be the best choice as Gambits arch. Sinister was basically created to be Cyclops arch villain, but I think comics have shied away from that, now that Cyclops is head honcho of the X Men, he doesn't have time for personal stories or villains. Gambit and Mr. Sinister on the other hand have a lot of history together with the Morlock Massacre and with Sinister removing part of Remys brain. 
    Again though, I would like to see Gambit having more animosity with some members of the Assassins Guild or perhaps an ex member of the Thieves Guild.
    I like some of the Assassins from the X Force storyline Sex and Violence. Boomerang for instance is a classic villain, who I could see having some great battles with Gambit. Candra could always be brought back from the dead as well. She's supposed to be immortal after all.
    I'd really love it if Mike Carey wrote a Gambit comic. I think he does a good job with Gambit in X Men Legacy. I love that he's bringing Gambits Age of X rifle into the mainstream continuity. Just adds another cool weapon/layer to Remy.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stumpy49er
    @DevilmanEX said:

Death Gambit
    Death Gambit
      *Borrowed this from another thread.

@Risky said:
    If you ask me his once brother in law and Belladonna's brother Julien Boudreaux would make a good arch villain.

No Caption Provided
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think it would be cool if the Death entity were exorcised from Gambit and merged with another villain. Julien Boudreaux would be the best villain to merge with the Death entity.
    That would make for a great arch enemy!
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Sinister.
    MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

I consider Sinister, Sabretooth, and Julien to be his most significant antagonists because it's personal between him and them, but I don't think of any of them as his greatest arch enemy. Julien isn't intimidating enough, and Sinister and Sabretooth are more important as main foes to other X-Men heroes (Cyclops & Wolverine, respectively). 

If Gambit got his own series, I'd either rather see him fighting an entirely new villain, or his Death persona. I'm not a fan of Gambit as Death, but I agree thatr it would be awesome if the Death part of him was somehow released from his body and soul and became his own separate being. Now that would be a terrific nemesis for a character like Gambit who is always dealing with mistakes he's done in his past.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stumpy49er
    @MyraMyraMyra said:

I consider Sinister, Sabretooth, and Julien to be his most significant antagonists because it's personal between him and them, but I don't think of any of them as his greatest arch enemy. Julien isn't intimidating enough, and Sinister and Sabretooth are more important as main foes to other X-Men heroes (Cyclops & Wolverine, respectively). 

Totally agree!

If Gambit got his own series, I'd either rather see him fighting an entirely new villain, or his Death persona. I'm not a fan of Gambit as Death, but I agree thatr it would be awesome if the Death part of him was somehow released from his body and soul and became his own separate being. Now that would be a terrific nemesis for a character like Gambit who is always dealing with mistakes he's done in his past.

Which is why I think Death Gambit merged with Julien would make such a great villain. Julien definitely has a lot of personal animosity with Remy and the Death persona would up his powers to the point that he would be a major badass. Also, he would look a lot cooler than just a blonde guy who wields knives.  

Death Julien, brought back from the dead, could start systematically taking over the New Orleans Assassins Guild (or Unified Guild), from behind Bella Donna's back.  It'd make for a good storyline, Bella Donna calling Gambit to come help her defeat her brother. Maybe Bella might betray Gambit. Or the other way around.
    Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse here with this idea. Unless I'm writing a Gambit comic it's probably not going to happen.
    I should start writing Gambit fanfic.
    MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MyraMyraMyra
    @stumpy49er said:
    @MyraMyraMyra said:

Totally agree!

Which is why I think Death Gambit merged with Julien would make such a great villain. Julien definitely has a lot of personal animosity with Remy and the Death persona would up his powers to the point that he would be a major badass. Also, he would look a lot cooler than just a blonde guy who wields knives.    Death Julien, brought back from the dead, could start systematically taking over the New Orleans Assassins Guild (or Unified Guild), from behind Bella Donna's back.  It'd make for a good storyline, Bella Donna calling Gambit to come help her defeat her brother. Maybe Bella might betray Gambit. Or the other way around. Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse here with this idea. Unless I'm writing a Gambit comic it's probably not going to happen. I should start writing Gambit fanfic.
    Oh, that would be a cool storyline. I'd read that comic! Resurrected Julien merged with Death Gambit would make the perfect arch enemy for Gambit.

I think there's so much story potential left in the Gambit "mythology" that's it's a downright shame that he doesn't have his own series. I'd love to see the mystical New Orleans depicted in his limited series being expanded and explored, and I want to see new stories featuring the Guilds, Bella Donna, and other minor characters associated with Gambit. Overall, I really want him back in the spotlight. He's a beloved character with a huge fanbase, and right now he isn't getting the attention he deserves in any of the X-books (except maybe in X-23's own series, and he's a guest star in that one, too).
    RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By RazielWraith
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By John Valentine
    Pulse. 
    Pulse. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jrock85

Maybe his cousin Etienne could come back from the grave, blaming Gambit for his death.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CATPANEXE

I always wanted to see Gambit throw down with Eightball.

Eightball couldn't be his arch though as Gambit has the superior skill and powerset.

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RazielWraith

If Gambit is allowed to kill Pulse (a character created for the most idiotic reason)... then yeah, bring him back.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Mercy_
    @lykopis I think the Daken thing can lead to tons of great stories. Especially considering his friendship with Laura.
    fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fury714

Daken will be awesome, but himself would be a good nemesis, like new sun from before. But yeah for continuity and development, daken would be awesome. :D

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

@lykopis said:

I agree that it should be Daken, just based on issue #8 of Daken's ongoing. Fantastic stuff.

I loved that issue! There's awesome protagonist/antagonist "chemistry" between these two, probably because they have some similarities - the struggle between staying on the right path and slipping back into criminal activities, the unwavering sexual confidence, the constant switching between enjoying life the the fullest and loathing it. The greatest difference between the two is that beneath all of his flaws and rough edges, Gambit is a genuinely noble & selfless person who cares deeply for others, and Daken is.... probably not. Now that I think about it, Daken would make a fantastic antagonist for a hypothetical Gambit series, though I still think that there should be something very personal to be settled between them for Daken to be a proper nemesis for Gambit.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By John Valentine

A certain.... PETER MILLIGAN!

No Caption Provided
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Billy Batson

@John Valentine said:

No Caption Provided

why Milligan?
    BB

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

@Billy Batson said:

No Caption Provided

@John Valentine said:

why Milligan?
    BB

He wrote Gambit as a complete douchebag.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John Valentine

@Billy Batson said:

@John Valentine said:

No Caption Provided

why Milligan?
    BB

Read/re-read his X-Men Vol.2 run with a focus on Gambit, then you'll understand why.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Billy Batson

@MyraMyraMyra: @John Valentine:

I see.
    BB

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RazielWraith

That would actually make sense now Ashra 

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jrock85

@John Valentine said:

No Caption Provided

LOL Milligan's run was a bad joke.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.