Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Gambit Officially Cancelled

• 128 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

One astute reader of the Gambit series noted that the August solicits list it as the 'penultimate issue'. James Asmus has confirmed via his tumblr that Gambit is indeed cancelled and that the last issue will be #17.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

Well that blows.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan I loved Gambit...it was such a fun book....I'm really going to miss it.....now Asmus and Mann need to team up on a Black Widow book...I think they'd be perfect

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan I loved Gambit...it was such a fun book....I'm really going to miss it.....now Asmus and Mann need to team up on a Black Widow book...I think they'd be perfect

Asmus wrote a PERFECT Gambit and Clay Mann is my favorite artist at the moment.

!!!!!! DON'T EVEN SAY THAT, BECAUSE NOW I NEED IT!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

Asmus wrote a PERFECT Gambit and Clay Mann is my favorite artist at the moment.

!!!!!! DON'T EVEN SAY THAT, BECAUSE NOW I NEED IT!

I agree 1000000%

Doesn't it sound awesome!!!!

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

And thunderbolts and avengers arena have not been cancelled. Isn't life a b!tch?

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FlashDamn

i like the character but the series were meh

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Urban_Ronin

Mann needs to jump the Marvel ship and come on over to DC.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Well that sucks. How has the series been? Never bothered to pick up an issue.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkknightdetective said:

And thunderbolts and avengers arena has not been cancelled. Isn't life a b!tch?

Yes, it is friend. Yes it is. lol

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that sucks. How has the series been? Never bothered to pick up an issue.

It's my favorite Marvel book, quite possibly my favorite comic in general right now. There are one or two slow issues, but it's great fun. Gambit is...well, he's Gambit. He's an unrepentant ladies man with a knack for getting himself into tough situations.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it aint part of the Marvel movie machine its apparently not worth keeping around.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

@mercy_ said:

It's my favorite Marvel book, quite possibly my favorite comic in general right now. There are one or two slow issues, but it's great fun. Gambit is...well, he's Gambit. He's an unrepentant ladies man with a knack for getting himself into tough situations.

Favourite Marvel book! Now that's saying something! Might pick up a trade, see how it goes! Thanks! :)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Favourite Marvel book! Now that's saying something! Might pick up a trade, see how it goes! Thanks! :)

When I'm only reading three, two of which are now cancelled, I'm not sure how much that says :P But it's the first time in a long time that I've been excited to pick up the next issue of a book and find out what happens.

First trade has the first six issues of the arc and I think is relatively cheap (around $14 on Amazon).

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

When I'm only reading three, two of which are now cancelled, I'm not sure how much that says :P But it's the first time in a long time that I've been excited to pick up the next issue of a book and find out what happens.

First trade has the first six issues of the arc and I think is relatively cheap (around $14 on Amazon).

Ouch! Got down on the Marvel pull-list then huh? Any reason why Gambit was cancelled then? Poor sales?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Yeah. I've been switching to trades for a lot of stuff and Marvel's just losing my attention lately.

It's sales were not stellar at all. It was kind of a niche book. Stars a superhero, but not quite superhero genre. I'd compare it to Hawkeye, it has that same feel. It just lacked the critical acclaim and mainstream tie in (the Avengers movie) that Hawkeye had to help push it.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Why does it always seem that it's the good gems that get canned? This was very fun to read.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Well that's a kick in the baby-maker isn't it :(

Not a fan of the direction Marvel NOW has taken some of the characters or you just don't like the creative teams in charge? To be honest, I've picked up more titles after NOW! began than before. Started picking up Cap again and Thor has blown me away. Waid has been killing it on Hulk and surprisingly I've REALLY been enjoying All New X-Men ( I know, I know... you hate it).

And pointing out the obvious, I'm picking up every Spidey title (Superior, Ultimate, Avenging and Scarlet).

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Suddenly my indecisiveness over whether to catch up in trades or buy the issues seems grimly ridiculous.

And thunderbolts and avengers arena have not been cancelled. Isn't life a b!tch?

I didn't even think of it from this angle (which, considering me, is kind of surprising), but now that I am, I want to punch something.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Well that's a kick in the baby-maker isn't it :(

Not a fan of the direction Marvel NOW has taken some of the characters or you just don't like the creative teams in charge? To be honest, I've picked up more titles after NOW! began than before. Started picking up Cap again and Thor has blown me away. Waid has been killing it on Hulk and surprisingly I've REALLY been enjoying All New X-Men ( I know, I know... you hate it).

And pointing out the obvious, I'm picking up every Spidey title (Superior, Ultimate, Avenging and Scarlet).

It really sucks T___T

I've been slowly dropping both Marvel and DC. I'm really not reading much at all right now. Can't stand JR JR"s art, but I've been meaning to check out Thor. I don't hate ANXM, actually. And I'm really enjoying UXM.

Blegh :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@mercy_ said:

One astute reader of the Gambit series noted that the August solicits list it as the 'penultimate issue'. James Asmus has confirmed via his tumblr that Gambit is indeed cancelled and that the last issue will be #17.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

wttttffffff

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Clearly this is because I gave the latest issue a 5 star review. Marvel doesn't want Gambit hogging the spotlight :P

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I kinda knew it would happen. Wolverine is the only X Man who can keep an ongoing going on.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Hehe, that's everyone's reaction to Superior lately. I don't mind it actually. It's a nice, different spin on the character and sure, it's spitting on the face of Peter Parker but he'll be back :)

Romita Jr's art is some of my favourite when it's used right of course! He's arguably my favourite Spider-Man artist and he's been killing it on Cap right now!

:O :O :O You actually enjoy UXM?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I don't disagree with that, but it's a character that I was never into to begin with so the book doesn't really hold any interest for me.

We're gonna agree to disagree on that :P

I do! I'm a little in love with Uncanny X-Men, actually.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Y-you... don't care for Spider-Man? *rolls on ground gripping head in disbelief*

Haven't picked up Uncanny even though I've heard it ties in with All-New X-Men which I completely adore!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Not my cup of tea lol

They're pretty much partner books, events flow into one another a bit, though it's clearly not unreadable if you're just following one. I prefer Uncanny, though.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the first few issues didn't like it not the Gambit i know & love .

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lykopis

I knew this was going to happen. The sales numbers foretold its fate.

This.

If it aint part of the Marvel movie machine its apparently not worth keeping around.

That.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the first few issues didn't like it not the Gambit i know & love .

How so?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37 god_spawn  Moderator

@mercy_: Y-you... don't care for Spider-Man? *rolls on ground gripping head in disbelief*

Haven't picked up Uncanny even though I've heard it ties in with All-New X-Men which I completely adore!

Uncanny and ANXM only tie in for a few issues. Otherwise, they do their own thing. You really only need to read one to understand what the other is really doing. UXM is my preference, though.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny and ANXM only tie in for a few issues. Otherwise, they do their own thing. You really only need to read one to understand what the other is really doing. UXM is my preference, though.

Good to know! I've really been digging the premise of ANXM so I'm sticking with it. By the way, called it on Warren being the one switching over with Scott and Emma ;)

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Honestly I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been canceled already. Reason being Winter Soldier got cancelled and was selling more than Gambit. I was fairly interested in the Gambit series but I wasn't into him not having his costume on the 1st arc. After reading k4ttz review I was considering getting a trade, but oh well.

I do wonder why Winter Soldier and Gambit got cancelled but Red She-Hulk, Journey into Mystery, and Captain Marvel haven't.

I think Morbius Living Vampire might be next. I am worried about losing Scarlet Spider and (agent) Venom since they barely beat the titles that have been cancelled.

EDIT:

I was want to add this

TALK about "your favorite book" more. I keep seeing books getting cancelled with users saying "aw that was my fav!"

Really

If the series isn't getting promoted by the company then you should promote it, or else you'll be saying "awww I actually like that one."

I personally plan on being more vocal about Scarlet Spider, and (Agent) Venom once I get my books. Supposedly they'll be here on Monday.....

( + )

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: I get the sense that this mini event with Carol is Captain Marvel's last shot at redemption. If sales don't pick up I won't be surprised to see it cancelled.

@deranged_midget: Not that you need more advice after God Spawn & Mercy, but I, too, prefer UXM. I'm reading both, but I think UXM is more enjoyable -- so I'd definitely recommend at least trying it out. You don't need to read both, but it may turn out you actually want to.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Wait what... They're cancelling Captain Marvel? That's one of the single best new titles that Marvel currently has. That's depressing news :(

Thanks for the recommendation though, it is very much appreciated! I might give it a shot down the line considering that I've been enjoying Bendis' writing with the X-characters thus far. Although, I can't really stand Emma at all.

Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By akbogert

@deranged_midget: No, no. They haven't cancelled it. But it's one of the lower-selling books they have, and they can't seem to get a good artist on that book for anything. The event that just began strikes me as an attempt to generate more interest in that book (and Avengers Assemble?) -- so it may be that if readership doesn't pick up, it will eventually be cancelled. But it has not been yet.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deranged Midget

@akbogert: That is a true shame. Captain Marvel deserves far more attention and recognition than a large amount of Marvel titles at the moment. DeConnick has been killing it with the title so far and I for one, truly adore the art that the series has had thus far. Truthfully, I enjoyed the original artist better (Dexter Soy if I recall correctly) and I'm unsure why they switched it up.

Haven't bothered to read Avengers Assemble. I've heard it improved when DeConnick took over but it just seems like another Avengers title to me and Hickman's already bores me to death.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lykopis
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: >_>

He's the lamest X-man ever. Fact.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: I've only read the first issue, which had Soy doing art and had Carol flying. Current book has neither of those things. It's hard to encourage people to pick up a book where the main character has a brain disease that could kill her and that prevents her from exercising the abilities that make her a superhero. I think if you got Soy back on the book you'd get some readers back, and if you get through this whole illness arc without ruining something important, you may even attract new readers. Personally it is on my short list of Marvel titles I'm considering catching up on (might be at the top now, actually...Gambit was at the top, but, well...).

Leon_Dissada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Deranged Midget

@akbogert: Yeah, the series has started to slow a bit since the beginning of this current arc with her having some insane brain tumor caused by her Kree powers and the drastic change of art may have turned people off as it's a huge hit or miss (luckily I thought it was a fresh change of pace). Safe to assume that things will be back to normal quickly and I'm hoping Soy comes back to the title as he was one of the main reasons I picked it up in the first place as my interest for Carol Danvers at the time was minimal.

What else interests you from Marvel?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.