Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Gambit!

ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ownsin

Hey, i was never into Marvel Comics, but last year i saw XMEN Origins, and in the movie it featured Gambit, he looked really cool and his powers are nice, my question is, is he fun character to read? i mean is he boring or is he a character that's not generic and not your typical XMEN mutant? and is he worth buying his comics for? and overall is his character interesting? is he powerful or not?, thanks.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By biggkeem89

Gambit is much cooler in the comics than in that terrible Wolverine movie. He is one of the most complicated X-Men, and one of my favorite mutants. I think you should definitely read more Gambit

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By eldestrisk
    @ownsin: If you liked Gambit in the movie, you would like Gambit in the comics a lot more. My advice would be that you read something before he was turned into Death by Apocalypse.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Gambit is a fun character to read because he's a rogue element in the X-Men.  He has a mysterious side & never seems to play 100% by the X-Men's rules.   

On the down side there's the on-again / off-again relationship with Rogue which writers constantly seem to drag out... And because he's been so mysterious, he's had his history warped so much to include some deadly involvement with Mr Sinister & the Marauders.  

In my personal opinion, his solo stories aren't so good.  His mini series & cancelled on-going series were awful.  However, there are still many great stories to read in the team books (Uncanny X-Men in the late 80's, X-Men in the 90's & X-Men: Legacy more recently).

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By eldestrisk

That's right. His solo books were never good. So those are not the ones you should be looking for.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Band Lone

Gambit is one of the most interesting characters in the X-men franchise IMO 

ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ownsin

So is he's character fun or what? and is he powerful??

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
    @ownsin:  well if you want to see a powerful gambit check out New Son this how powerful Gambit can be
    Fun "why of course sherie, Gambit is alwys the life of the party" (you kinda got to read that with a Cajun accent)
    Gambit is one of the most entertaining X-Men there is.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @ownsin said:
    " So is he's character fun or what? and is he powerful?? "
    I wouldn't say he's famous for being fun or powerful.  He's a great character who has funny moments, but he's not really a comedic character.  His powers can be pretty impressive... but there are others who are far more powerful. 

He's popular.  Lots of girls crush on Gambit.  I have a non-comic reading friend who admitted it to me.  Guys love him because he's a dirty fighter, mysterious & a ladies man.
    ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ownsin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @ownsin said:
    " So is he's character fun or what? and is he powerful?? "
    I wouldn't say he's famous for being fun or powerful.  He's a great character who has funny moments, but he's not really a comedic character.  His powers can be pretty impressive... but there are others who are far more powerful.  He's popular.  Lots of girls crush on Gambit.  I have a non-comic reading friend who admitted it to me.  Guys love him because he's a dirty fighter, mysterious & a ladies man. "
    You said there are far more powerful heroes? who are they?
    ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ownsin

Bump!

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Band Lone
    @ownsin: Powerful doesn't mean better you know

Gambit can fight with anything on his way . He is a skilled martial artist and a master in infiltration as he was a thief. His ability to charge object makes him an incredibly dangerous foe. 

I believe there is a part in which he can also charge people and blow them to bits with just a touch. Also Gambit was the Horseman of Death at one point.  He is very skilled  and a threat to ANYONE  for he is a double edge sword.

ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ownsin

aha i see is there any other interesting characters like Gambit or similar to him?

PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PumpkinBomb

Gambit is one of the characters that ushered in the dark age of comics. He's a walking sack of clichés, as though the writers decided to take every possible aspect of the "mysterious", "romantic", "roguish" anti-hero and force it into one character. This has the unfortunate downside of making most females love the character in a rather Twilighty fashion, most heterosexual males resent him, and anybody with a brain between their ears wince whenever he says anything in that atrociously poorly-researched Cajun accent they've been trying to give him. He's vice-ridden, promiscuous, and generally sleazy.

Oh, and he's a complete jerk. If there was justice in the MU he'd be locked up for all the horrible things he's done, but the popularity of the character prevents them from considering it. They keep forgiving him in order to put him back in the team books, because he sells.

ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ownsin
    @PumpkinBomb:
    so your saying he's not interesting and annoying? and a cliche character?
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @ownsin: 
    He isn't necessarily "uninteresting", depending on your tastes, but I personally find him very annoying. Besides his clichéd demeanor and awful accent, he's a downright nasty person and a horrible role model. It's aggravating to see him keep worming his way back into the good graces of the X-men via what essentially amounts to seduction.
    ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ownsin
    @PumpkinBomb said:

" @ownsin: 
    He isn't necessarily uninteresting, but I personally find him very annoying. Besides his clichéd demeanor and awful accent, he's a nasty person and a horrible role model. "

Aha, so what do you think is an Interesting Hero and a fun character?, who's also powerful?
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @ownsin: 
    In terms of the X-men, or Marvel in general?
    ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ownsin
    @PumpkinBomb said:

" @ownsin: In terms of the X-men, or Marvel in general? "

both, give me a list if you have to?
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PumpkinBomb
    @ownsin: 
    My personal favourites for "fun and interesting" are (off the top of my head and in no particular order): 
    Multiple Man 
    (Madrox, X-Factor vol.2) 
    Hercules (& Amadeus Cho) (Incredible Hercules 113-141, Hercules: Fall of an Avenger, The Heroic Age: Prince of Power, Chaos War) 
    Rick Jones (& Captain Marvel) (Captain Marvel vol. 3 & 4)
    Taskmaster (Avengers: the Initiative, Taskmaster)
    Spider-Man (The Straczynski run and Millar's Marvel Knights are personal faves, but modern continuity begins in #546) 

As for teams:
    Nextwave
    Astonishing X-Men
    Runaways (vol. 1 and 2) 

Oh, and Garth Ennis' Punisher is very funny, but maybe not in the way you were expecting.
    ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ownsin

Thanks Pumpkin, but i want more inputs from other users to make up my mind on Gambit!

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By darkcloakx

what are some of the bad things he done to the x-men?

ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ownsin

Bump!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.