Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4681 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Do his powers have anything to do with affecting aerodynamics?

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Power NeXus
    No Caption Provided
    Try throwing a couple of playing cards. THEY DO NOT FLY STRAIGHT. Throw them as hard and as straight as you can, and they'll just do a lazy flip in the air and hit the ground 4 feet away. Flicking your wrist and giving it as much spin as you can will help it go pretty far, but accuracy is still a non-factor.
    In this picture (and any other picture one can find of Gambit throwing cards), he does a regular throw with no special wrist moves, and the cards fly straight as arrows, and they don't appear to be spinning at all.
    Does his 'charging' ability affect the aerodynamic properties of the object he is throwing, or do the writers think 'uncanny accuracy' is a sufficient excuse for achieving the impossible?
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I would assume the charging effect gives it abit more mass to make it fly abit straighter. Although they did an experiment on Mythbusters and they were getting playing cards to stick pretty good into a ballistic gel dummy. So they may not be lethal, but paper cuts hurt :)

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think the more bizarre thing about Gambit's powers is that in charging the cards he somehow turns them all into Aces. Heh.

But yeah I agree that the energy he imparts to them makes them a bit more aerodynamic. Though he is probably Marvel's second best card thrower anyway, after 'Mr I can kill you with a paper object' Bullseye.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.