Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

Aces over 8's

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By The_Ghostshell
    No Caption Provided
    Finally got around to reading "X-Men: Gambit Origins" and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Now if your looking for some major revelations in this one-shot then let me save you the trouble, there are none. But that's not to say there aren't any tiny revelations of reveals. Like Gambit meeting and falling in love with Bella Donna at the age of 8 in his usual "save the day" fashion.
    No Caption Provided
    Which his adoptive father later addresses as we flash forward to Gambit's wedding. Now I actually loved this flashback cause its something that had been talked about but never illustrated. We get a nice scene between Jean Luc LeBeau and his son (Remy) in which he cautions Gambit on his romantic nature and the importance of the wedding. That with their union (Bella and Remy) the feud between the Assassins Guild and Thieves Guild will be ended. Yet surprisingly we learn that Gambit isn't really interested in that, its simply an added bonus. He really cares for and loves Bella. But not everyone is happy with this arrangement. Julian, Bella's brother and next in line to lead the Assassins Guild objects to the marriage and challenges Gambit to a fight to the death. Which leads to the real reason that Gambit leaves Bella (which is kind of a contradiction to earlier explanations but its all good).
    No Caption Provided

The next chapter delves into Gambit's role in the Morlock Massacre. Its revealed exactly why he helped Mr. Sinister, not only assemble the Marauders, but lead them as well. Any fan of Gambit already knows about his involvement, but its never been drawn or explained in such detail. We see that he was more or less tricked into helping out and by the time he gets his head out of his ass, its to late. After a brief throwdown with the Marauders he all but gets emptied out by Sabretooth in one of the coolest panels in the book. Injured, Gambit is now helpless to do anything about the massacre. Minus one thing that happens to ecplain the deep connection he has with Marrow.
    No Caption Provided

Rounding out this trilogy of flashbacks is none other then the infamous meeting between Gambit and Storm. Which is actually pretty short yet in some strange way ties the story up nicely. All in all I loved this story. I wasnt crazy about the art at first but eventually it started to grow on me. Yardin and Roberson's style may not be for everyone but its better then some of the artists I've seen draw Gambit. I only wish it was an ongoing ;)
    No Caption Provided

Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legacy_

I'm gonna pick this up

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

Definatly gonna pick this up

Avatar image for grand_marvelous
    Grand Marvelous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Grand Marvelous

The art is buttcheeks.

cadienhomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By cadienhomme

the art is great and i love that it has cajun french in it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.