Follow

Galactus

Character » Galactus appears in 1750 issues.

Galactus is the infamous "Devourer of Worlds" in the Marvel Universe. His powers are nearly omnipotent. He has appointed several entities as his Heralds, imbuing them with the Power Cosmic. He uses energy from the core of planets and universal sources to sustain himself.

How come Galactus is defeated so many times by so many people?

thasnos1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thasnos1212

Hey, I'm new here, dont know much and im still learning, so if this question seems nooby, apologies. 

my question is simple, galactus has been defeated by many characters, many times over, 

im told that Fantastic four have beaten him, hulk has beaten him, thor has beaten him, im also told that even silver surfer has beaten him 

my question is how are these guys able to defeat galactus, i thought that galactus is one of the most powerful guys in marvel, and that he can even erase timelines, so how comes he is getting defeated by these "weak" characters, (in comparison to galactus) 

even at low strength shouldnt galactus be able to beat these guys, and how comes even silver surfer, whom galactus has created with a tiny portion of his powers, can defeat him , it defies logic. 

another question (sorry for asking many questions!) 
     can galactus actually die? i know obviously guys above him are able to do it, tribunal/toaa etc. but apparently fantastic four "saved him from death", so is he actually able to die? i thought he was pure energy inside his armor. 

one possible answer someone has told me is that marvel constantly makes new characters defeat a weakened galactus just to prove they are strong, but as i said, shouldnt even a weakened galactus defeat these characters with ease? 

one again, sorry if i sound nooby, all help appreciated.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Jobber aura FTW

I think his body can be destroyed

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Galactus is defeated mainly for plot reasons. In the beginning, he was "defeated" by the Fantastic Four in the sense that they turned him away from Earth. They did so with the Ultimate Nullifier, and extremely powerful weapon (although in later issues this device has been shown to be a "part" of Galactus that he can control at his own will). But, in later issues, Galactus has shown to have a certain amount of respect for Reed Richards, something unusual to him, so we might be able to say that this may have been part of it.

I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure Thor hasn't defeated Galactus in that sense either. Galactus is often turned away or beaten by offering him something else to satiate his hunger instead. Unfortunately, the more time that has passed, Galactus went from being the most powerful being in the universe to simply a plot device to show how strong or smart a character/team really is.

I've never seen the Hulk defeat Galactus, but boy would that be bad...

You mention "even" the Silver Surfer, who should have the best chance of defeating Galactus compared to the others. This isn't true. He has turned Galactus away and even changed his mind before, but never truly defeated him, unless you count in the 691 universe where he was the Protector of the Universe.

But, yes, Galactus is often "beaten" by those with far less power as I stated above. Most writers view Galactus as simply a background character of immense power for their current books hero to defeat, thus raising their status. I guess they never consider two things: 1. How powerful Galactus really is and 2. that Galactus has fans too.

Galactus can die, but he always comes back. It's never really explained, but he is an essential balance to the universe and most likely just reappears as necessary. This is not unlike most characters who die, since they just eventually come back anyway, but in Galactus' case they usually don't explain how or why.

But yeah, it's a sad state what they have done. The Galactus of Annihilation showed his true might and he got some good characterization in the Nova series and in the Thanos Imperative, being the last abstract being standing against the entire Cancerverse.

thasnos1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thasnos1212

thanks for the reply, 

what i was saying about the silver surfer standing up to galactus is how can he do it? surely if he only has a tiny portion of galactus powers, wont galactus easily kill him + cant he take away his powers aswell since he gave them to him? 

also  
    here is when hulk "eats and becomes galactus" in marvel zombies, after hulk eats him he becomes the new galactus, has control over power cosmic, etc. 

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Because they need someone cosmic to lose. and he's their most known cosmic.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @jloneblackheart said:

Galactus is defeated mainly for plot reasons. In the beginning, he was "defeated" by the Fantastic Four in the sense that they turned him away from Earth. They did so with the Ultimate Nullifier, and extremely powerful weapon (although in later issues this device has been shown to be a "part" of Galactus that he can control at his own will). But, in later issues, Galactus has shown to have a certain amount of respect for Reed Richards, something unusual to him, so we might be able to say that this may have been part of it.

I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure Thor hasn't defeated Galactus in that sense either. Galactus is often turned away or beaten by offering him something else to satiate his hunger instead. Unfortunately, the more time that has passed, Galactus went from being the most powerful being in the universe to simply a plot device to show how strong or smart a character/team really is.

You mention "even" the Silver Surfer, who should have the best chance of defeating Galactus compared to the others. This isn't true. He has turned Galactus away and even changed his mind before, but never truly defeated him, unless you count in the 691 universe where he was the Protector of the Universe.

But, yes, Galactus is often "beaten" by those with far less power as I stated above. Most writers view Galactus as simply a background character of immense power for their current books hero to defeat, thus raising their status. I guess they never consider two things: 1. How powerful Galactus really is and 2. that Galactus has fans too.

Galactus can die, but he always comes back. It's never really explained, but he is an essential balance to the universe and most likely just reappears as necessary. This is not unlike most characters who die, since they just eventually come back anyway, but in Galactus' case they usually don't explain how or why.

But yeah, it's a sad state what they have done. The Galactus of Annihilation showed his true might and he got some good characterization in the Nova series and in the Thanos Imperative, being the last abstract being standing against the entire Cancerverse.

Thor has defeated Galactus. He Godblasts him and Galactus fleas for his life. I have a scan if you want.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#7  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@thasnos1212: The Silver Surfer can't beat Galactus. He is the favored and most powerful herald though. Galactus could take his powers if he chose to. He never has.

Marvel Zombies is out of continuity and thus not considered canon (which means it isn't the main Marvel universe and does not matter, well at least to the fans).

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#8  Edited By AssertingValor

Galactus is still the man.........
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @ebuchanan said:

Very true.
    katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By katanalauncher

The occasion when Thor/Strange/Entire FF and Avenger "defeated" Galactus is when he was in the blink to starve to death. 

Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Boobster
    @Thor's hammmer said:

@jloneblackheart said:

Thor has defeated Galactus. He Godblasts him and Galactus fleas for his life. I have a scan if you want.
    And I can show you a scan of Galactus owning Thor with a simple galactian barrier or a visi-cloud.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @jloneblackheart said:

Very well written. Most of the time Galactus is "beaten" because his Herald, namely the Surfer, convinces him that there are better options. Its sorta like in the end of the latest Surfer mini...
    ... So need less to say if it wasn't for the Surfer, most times, Galactus would be unbeatable because the Surfer is sorta his conscience. That's why he tolerates his Herald constantly disobeying him.
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By karrob
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    @ebuchanan said:
     Very true.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg
    @thasnos1212: See, but mostly Galactus is deterred or driven off but never really 'conquered' if that makes sense.
    superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superojsimpson
    @Boobster: It does not matter if you have scans showing galactus beating thor cause it is pretty obvious. scans showing galactus being beaten by thor are more inpressive. cause then you would be like *now how in the world is that even possible?* and i would be like  *don't matter dude, as long as it's canon* then you would be like *never!!* then i would be like *another jb fan now are we?*
    Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Boobster
    @superojsimpson said:
    @Boobster: It does not matter if you have scans showing galactus beating thor cause it is pretty obvious. scans showing galactus being beaten by thor are more inpressive. cause then you would be like *now how in the world is that even possible?* and i would be like  *don't matter dude, as long as it's canon* then you would be like *never!!* then i would be like *another jb fan now are we?*
    Scans of Thor beating Galactus is PIS, because Galactus has rendered Thor helpless with a simple visi-cloud. Thor can't even handle Ulik. Shame your mind can't comprehend obvious things.
    superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superojsimpson
    @Boobster: canon!!
    Boobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Boobster
    @superojsimpson said:
    @Boobster: canon!!
    Canon PIS.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By CATPANEXE
    @jloneblackheart said:

@thasnos1212: Marvel Zombies is out of continuity and thus not considered canon (which means it isn't the main Marvel universe and does not matter, well at least to the fans).

For more contention on this, 616 Galactus is shown to be the most powerful of any alternate reality. F4 Vol.3 #49 respectively.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @Boobster said:
    @Thor's hammmer said:

@jloneblackheart said:

And I can show you a scan of Galactus owning Thor with a simple galactian barrier or a visi-cloud.

didi you read the thread? i'm not saying Galactus can't beat Thor he obviously can. someone claimed that Thor has never beaten Galactus. which is false.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By turoksonofstone
    No Caption Provided
    3cclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 3cclark

Galactus powers wane when he is in hunger and drastically depletes the longer he goes without consuming a planet.   Thor, Thanos, and the teams have only defeated a "hungered" Galactus.   After the a consume planet, his powers rivals Eternity, Death, and so forth.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By PowerHerc

Because Marvel editorial staff, over the past three or four decades has allowed writers to turn him into a 'jobber' so they can show how powerful their latest omnipotent character, or how powerful their chosen mighty hero is, by having him go toe-to-toe with and or defeat Galactus. It's bullshit, but it keeps on happening.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Also forgot to mention, if he didn't lose every now and then the Marvel universe would be a pretty lonely place.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By seekquaze
    @PowerHerc
    In many ways this is the sad truth.  One of my favorite Hercules stories is the Hercules mini from the eighties where Herc tries to defeat Galactus through brute force and is defeated with ease.  He has to think of a way to defeat Galactus without brute force for once.  Shows Hercules using his intellect and Galactus not being a bad guy.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc: In many ways this is the sad truth. One of my favorite Hercules stories is the Hercules mini from the eighties where Herc tries to defeat Galactus through brute force and is defeated with ease. He has to think of a way to defeat Galactus without brute force for once. Shows Hercules using his intellect and Galactus not being a bad guy.

Yeah, though it did humanize Galactus a bit too much, it was a fun read.

That was also the first time Galactus was shown without his helmet on.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By cosmo111687

Well, if he won than that would mean the end of the Earth-based Marvel universe.

TheThinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheThinker

There was an interesting comic that I read a while ago stating that the planet earth 616, was vital to the omniverse, and that there was something flowing through earth, as if it was the center of creation or something. Kubik was stating how he was omnipotent and everything, but stated that Earth was somehow different. Which in laymans terms probably means that powerful people will fail to destroy earth 616, it just can't be done. 
    Thus no matter how much Galactus tries he can't destroy earth 616. Galactus has beaten other earths, but somehow PIS causes earth 616 to remain. 

Galactus is a victim, he has so many ways to destroy everybody, yet he fails. Poor guy.
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By RainEffect

Didn't Doctor Doom defeat him? I swear I saw a scan of Doom triumphing over him.

I could be wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-633561db60289
    deactivated-633561db60289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Boobster: You are so wrong! I have many Thor comics where he kicked Uliks ass!

Avatar image for deactivated-633561db60289
    deactivated-633561db60289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Boobster: Damn you must not read the older books of Thor! I have most of them and he kicked Uliks ass many times! I hate people like you who lie about the truth! You just do not know the facts!

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By weaponxx

@thor19b: your first two posts are insults. thats probably not a good start... what boobster said is fine, and you can kindly refer to scans/issues etc if you want to specifically show where thor beat ulik. calling someone out is not good for anyone.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By cloudzackvincent

@weaponx said:

@thor19b: your first two posts are insults. thats probably not a good start... what boobster said is fine, and you can kindly refer to scans/issues etc if you want to specifically show where thor beat ulik. calling someone out is not good for anyone.

lol

therainmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By therainmaker

Because Marvel's Editorial Staff are absolutely insane. They fail to understand how powerful the Galactus Stan Lee and Jack Kirby conceived really is. They make him into a jobbering retard who gets curbstomped by mortals, let alone cosmics.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Blood_Red_Rage

@therainmaker said:

Because Marvel's Editorial Staff are absolutely insane. They fail to understand how powerful the Galactus Stan Lee and Jack Kirby conceived really is. They make him into a jobbering retard who gets curbstomped by mortals, let alone cosmics.

To expand further on this he has become a character it seems that is a jobber to make other characters of lesser power look good. It is a nice feat to defeat Galactus and thus he has become somewhat of a joke. I hate how he is used like that. DC did the same garbage with Darkseid also created by Kirby. They go back and say "Oh it was just avatars that were getting beat by characters he should not have".

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactus and jobtre are the biggest jobbers in comics history

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghost Rider can beat Galactus. If you disagree, you suck..

FlakeKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FlakeKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strategy9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an outside theory;

While yes Galactus is "virtually" all powerful with the power of the cosmic at his grasp, and being older then the universe itself hailing from the previous universe before the big bang, and also considered to be a necessary part of the balance of the universe, what if other super-powers that be; Eternity, Infinity, the Phoenix Force (which played part in his creation), the Beyonder, the celestials, the One Above All, etc. are all playing their parts behind the scenes with their omnipotent powers to aid (unseen) in Galactus' defeats to help keep the balance of the omniverse in check whenever he (Galactus) is out of line and about to go against the greater good and balance of the omniverse...

Juggerman40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot. If Galactus went out of character he could've killed them all he even stated it multiple times.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.