Follow

Galactus

Character » Galactus appears in 1750 issues.

Galactus is the infamous "Devourer of Worlds" in the Marvel Universe. His powers are nearly omnipotent. He has appointed several entities as his Heralds, imbuing them with the Power Cosmic. He uses energy from the core of planets and universal sources to sustain himself.

galactus what being

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello man, some friend of mine says that galactus is an abstract like eternity and infinity and death and anotuer team of friend says that is a physic a l being like quasar Said. What is the true? Please scan where one said that is a physical being?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@jigen879: people see him completely different. He doesn't look the same to every civilization. He could be a giant bunny in some minds.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He's probably semi-abstract

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be a force of nature does not mean being an abstract entity . In addition it could be a hyperbola . Also quasars and anthtomorpho say that he is not an abstract being , there are other

Insertnewname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Insertnewname

He is an abstract. Like eternity embodies the universe, galactus was the old one so he is like a broken ex- eternity

And yea that picture above gives a good impression of that..^^

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But quasar disagreess

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/119238/3833084-3355911-scan1.jpg

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: what's the context? Where are the scans before and after that statement? Galactus is named as an abstract in the Marvel wiki for what it's worth.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Claymore1998

@jigen879: what's the context? Where are the scans before and after that statement? Galactus is named as an abstract in the Marvel wiki for what it's worth.

There isn't much context to the scan posted. It's from the time when Quasar went to the Dimension of Manifest, a special spatial dimension where abstract assemblage takes place and it is also the dimension where abstract being go to get physical bodies.

Galactus does have a physical side to him. He's bleed before in his fight against Tyrant; Dr. Doom has actually drained Galactus enough that Galan himself emerged etc.

But the term "abstract" is not well defined. Galactus embodies a concept as well, he is the cosmic embodiment of balance between Eternity and Death. The closest to Galactus's counterpart would be InBetweener who also has a physical body, who also has been called an abstract and Inbetweener is also the balancing concept between two disembodied abstracts Lord Order and Master Chaos.

The question of whether or not Galactus is an abstract despite having a physical element to himself is going to be very hard to answer unless a writer or an editor is willing to give us a detailed description.

Galactus, alongside Celestials, were called Abstract during Thanos Imperative. Obviously there is no instance, at least that i know of, where someone says Galactus is not an abstract. So it's a weird thing to argue either for or against.

That's my 2 cents in the matter hope this was helpful. Or if it was boring as hell and you fell asleep in the middle of reading this hehe well accept my sincerest apologies =)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: Which one came out first? I think you have to just go by the latest context. Things get retconned, re written, or different writers change things all the time. I just go by which one is current or used the most, but I have no idea in this case

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last one is quasar and anthtomorpho

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So galactus is seen differently to different people?

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
    cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@wavemotioncannon said:

There isn't much context to the scan posted. It's from the time when Quasar went to the Dimension of Manifest, a special spatial dimension where abstract assemblage takes place and it is also the dimension where abstract being go to get physical bodies.

Galactus does have a physical side to him. He's bleed before in his fight against Tyrant; Dr. Doom has actually drained Galactus enough that Galan himself emerged etc.

But the term "abstract" is not well defined. Galactus embodies a concept as well, he is the cosmic embodiment of balance between Eternity and Death. The closest to Galactus's counterpart would be InBetweener who also has a physical body, who also has been called an abstract and Inbetweener is also the balancing concept between two disembodied abstracts Lord Order and Master Chaos.

The question of whether or not Galactus is an abstract despite having a physical element to himself is going to be very hard to answer unless a writer or an editor is willing to give us a detailed description.

Galactus, alongside Celestials, were called Abstract during Thanos Imperative. Obviously there is no instance, at least that i know of, where someone says Galactus is not an abstract. So it's a weird thing to argue either for or against.

That's my 2 cents in the matter hope this was helpful. Or if it was boring as hell and you fell asleep in the middle of reading this hehe well accept my sincerest apologies =)

Very nice young one. Well done.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: nice!!!

Follow earned! Only 10 others have done that for me :)

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spambot

I think in his original conception which was penned by Lee and Kirby in Thor 161 which spent like 8-10 pages doing his origin story he came out of his incubator thing as a giant humanoid, a physical being. Since that time writers have added to that origin story and in an issue of Silver Surfer vol 2 he is seen as a giant being of pure energy. So I think he is pretty much w/e a writer needs him to be at any given time. We have seen him bleed and we have seen Thanos steal some of his dna to create the Omega which had many of the same powers. Marvel's editors don't seem to cling to any clear idea of what exactly he is and instead just let writers do w/e they want with him for the most part.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

@jigen879 said:

Hello man, some friend of mine says that galactus is an abstract like eternity and infinity and death and anotuer team of friend says that is a physic a l being like quasar Said. What is the true? Please scan where one said that is a physical being?

now allow me to drop some knowledge here, for what it;s worth...

first off, what is an abstract level being?

No Caption Provided

we are talking about an entity that can exist on multiple planes of existence...simultaneously. That means the physical plane, astral plane, and many others. It also means a being that supersedes the universal boundaries and is of a higher level of consciousness and power as perceived by most (in a nutshell essentially, did that make sense?).

In the Infinity Gauntlet for example, when Thanos had become "omnipotent" Galactus is pictured in thrall with the rest of Marvel's most powerful and cosmic of enteties (such as Lord Chaos and Order, etc...)

So akin to Eternity and Infinity.....Galactus is an 'Abstract" level being. Allow me to briefly explain why. He has existed from the universe that existed before this one, and is it's sole survivor. He is the sole existing being that superseded the Big Bang and is privy to secrets and information that few can even fathom.

Due to that he has become a primal force in the Universe, and that turned into purpose. Due to his nature, he must consume the whole energies of planets for sustenance.....in turn making him an agent of chaos and order to a certain level of degree. He thins the herd of the universe.

Now, he does have a physical being. And as stated his physical being can bleed (as by battle withThanos as well as Tyrant) , fluctuate in size (depending on how much energy he has in stores.....a starving Galactus was felled by Marvel heroes many a time and he has lost substantial mass, depleting in size).

However a physical being does not mean that he is not internally compose of complete Cosmic energies, and the shell of a physical being may be the only sliver that the being once known as Galan has to hang onto.

We all know, such as with pre 52 Alan Scott....that a physical shell is only an appearance determined by the will or mind of the "driver".

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#18 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

He is an abstract with a physical form. The form shown is his armor however as he is an energy being.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not For me isn't an abstract isn't a conceptual beong this is Said by quasar, antrhomorpho and maelstrom

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he is definitely a physical being . http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/battle-profiles/images/9/93/JnWgXbl.jpg

cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879 said:

Not For me isn't an abstract isn't a conceptual beong this is Said by quasar, antrhomorpho and maelstrom

I edited my post, see above, may shed some light.

@jigen879 said:

I think he is definitely a physical being . http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/battle-profiles/images/9/93/JnWgXbl.jpg

also, check this out:

No Caption Provided

he chooses humanoid form to hold onto what he once was. If he chose to be he would be energy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.