Gabriel Jones was a young Afro-American whom lived in New York City. In his younger years Jones became very fond of jazz music and soon started to play it himself. He eventually became so good that he was to play jazz in the Jazz club of his uncle. It was however then, when World War II broke out, that Jones was drafted into the U.S. army and soon became a member of the famed Howling Commandos. Gabe Jones was known for blowing his horn to shock enemies when he and his teammates charged the enemy ranges. Gabriel continued to fight alongside his commander, Nick Fury, for most of the war, and for the remained of the rest of his life.
Created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist and co-plotter Jack Kirby, Gabe Jones made his first appearance in the 1963's Sgt. Fury (and his Howling Commandos) #1. Gabriel "Gabe" Jones was one of the first African-American characters in mainstream comics (although initially colored as, and likely meant to be, Caucasian).
Mayor Story Arcs
S.H.I.E.L.D. and Godzilla Squad
Reuniting with the rest of the military strike squad during the Korean and Vietnam Wars, Gabe became a key aide to Nick Fury when he was made director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Gabriel became a vital part of the organization, eventually joining it's Godzilla Squad branch together with old squad-member Dum Dum Dugan. The team's focus was to bring down the "Godzilla' lizard, that terrorized parts of the world for some time. Responsible for infiltrating and bringing down the insidious organization known as the Secret Empire, Gabe remained loyal to Nick Fury even after the android Deltite infiltration of S.H.I.E.L.D. He went on to play a key role when the organization was re-established as a leaner, more focused operation.
World War Hulk
During World War Hulk, Gabriel Jones is the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent in charge of trying to bring in renegade Hulk allies Amadeus Cho and Hercules.
Marvel Zombies 3
Gabriel Jones was later reassigned to A.R.M.O.R. , a division of SHIELD, where as one of it's top agents, Gabriel looked at the progress of the new branch.
Secret Invasion and Secret Warriors
When S.H.I.E.L.D. was decommissioned and restructured into H.A.M.M.E.R., Gabe left along with many of his old Howler teammates, such as his friend Dum Dum Dugan and Eric Koenig to form their own private mercenary operations in memory of the Howling Commandos. The team assisted Nick Fury on a few of his operations with his Secret Warriors team. Eventually, a mission let the team of old Howler's to China where they fought in a battle against Hydra, where Gabe was seemingly Killed In Action by the Gorgon.
Powers & Abilities
Gabe Jones is an experienced hand-to-hand combatant trained in Unites States Army and S.H.I.E.L.D. combat techniques. He is an excellent marksmen and is particularly skilled with rifles. He has considerable knowledge and experience in guerrilla warfare and in commando tactics. He is highly skilled in infiltrating enemy strongholds and rival organizations. He is also highly skilled in all espionage techniques.
Gabe Jones is an outstanding trumpeter and is said to be unequaled in his playing ability.
Weight: 225 lbs.
Hair: White (Black when younger)
Earth-1610: Ultimate Universe
One of the most senior agents in S.H.I.E.L.D. (number 7).
- Gabe Jones appears in The Incredible Hulk as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent hunting the Hulk. He is voiced by Thom Barry.
- Gabe Jones appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Wrath of the Red Skull". He was featured in a flashback where he, Dum Dum Dugan, and Izzy Cohen were shown shadowed when Nick Fury explains how he and Captain America stopped the Red Skull.
- Jones cameos in the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "Meet Captain America."
- Gabe Jones' grandson, Antoine Triplett, appears as a major character in the second half of the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. He is shown to be respectful of his grandfather's legacy, but states that he likes to be judged and assessed on his own merits, not the reputation of his family. He is portrayed by B.J. Britt.
- Gabriel Jones appears in the Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV movie, portrayed by Ron Canada.
- Gabriel Jones appears as a supporting character in Captain America: The First Avenger. In the film, he is introduced as one of the American soldiers rescued from the Red Skull's HYDRA facility, and is stated to be a graduate of Howard University. He joins the Howling Commandos, and is shown with his comrades mourning Captain America's death in one of the final scenes of the movie. He is played by Derek Luke.
- Gabe Jones does not appear in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as he has long since passed away. However, a memorial for Jones and the other Howling Commandos can be seen in the Smithsonian Institute.
- Gabe Jones appears as a non-playable hero in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.
- Gabe Jones was a member of the operation to destroy Carnage in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2.