silkcuts's Free Comic Book Day 2011 (Spider-Man) #1 - The Way of the Spider review

Avatar image for silkcuts
  • silkcuts wrote this review on .
  • silkcuts has written a total of 726 reviews. The last one was for

For free comic book day 2011 you can make mine a Marvel

The appeal of Spider-Man is that he remains as the teenage gateway character into comics.  When I was younger children fell in love with Superman if they were exposed to comics young enough.  Spider-man for teenagers and Batman for that bridge age between teens and adults.  I still don't think that has changed much.  Gateway characters are important, they expose people to comics and exposure to comics is good for business.  The set back to gateway characters is that they tend to remain being written for a certain age bracket, which does not mean other ages can't read it, it is just the intended accessibility of the material.  Spider-Man at average is a fun accessible story for all ages that deals with drama and has action, it is entertainment to dull the senses.  For a free comics this is a wonderful gateway issue for those none comic readers, it is no commitment and it is written at a level where anyone with any experience of comic reading can enjoy.  It is no where near the cerebral level of a good Alan Moore, Grant Morrison or Peter Milligan story and that is what is the charm about this book.  I can get lost in the characters and not look for deeper meaning in the semiotics of the situation.

If I had to pit Marvel verses DC this year on who did the better Free Comic Book Day, I give it to Marvel.  Marvel gave an accessible story that pushed Spider-Man's story forward, while DC used their FCBD issue to promote the upcoming Green Lantern movie and Flashpoint.  If you had limits at your Local Comic Shop and wanted a safe comic for everyone, this was a very safe bet.

Cheers