spankymac314's Free Comic Book Day 2011 (Spider-Man) #1 - The Way of the Spider review

Avatar image for spankymac314

For a free book, it was great.

Obviously, this was a Free Comic Book Day issue, and for what it is(basically an extended preview of Spidey's next big story), it was great. First of all, it's a Mandrill story, and that is AWESOME! I don't know if I've brought it up here before, but I LOVE Mandrill. He's such a ridiculous character, because his powers and appearance do not reconcile themselves to me at all, and yet he still manages to be entertaining. His part in this story, manipulating Spider-Woman to fight Spidey, is very entertaining. The rest of the story, Shang-Chi training Spidey for the hard times ahead, is also pretty good. The art was great all around, and the writing of all the characters is spot-on. I'm actually pretty interested in checking out this new story now, and it's entirely because of this comic. But seriously, Marvel, more Mandrill equals more interest from me. He's such a bizarre, nonsensical character, that he's always a pleasure to read.

Other reviews for Free Comic Book Day 2011 (Spider-Man) #1 - The Way of the Spider

For free comic book day 2011 you can make mine a Marvel 0

The appeal of Spider-Man is that he remains as the teenage gateway character into comics.  When I was younger children fell in love with Superman if they were exposed to comics young enough.  Spider-man for teenagers and Batman for that bridge age between teens and adults.  I still don't think that has changed much.  Gateway characters are important, they expose people to comics and exposure to comics is good for business.  The set back to gateway characters is that they tend to remain being wri...

Spidey is still amazing when its free! 0

Out of all the free comics in Free Comic Book Day this one is the best by far. It tells a short story about the new madame web as she observes the current disadvantage spider-man now posses which is the lost of his spider-sense which is probably the strongest weapon he has ever possessed during his entire career and how it affects him while facing off against a monkey using a hormone controlled spider-woman  The GoodThe artwork is pretty awesome and I love it, the story and the characters are de...