Follow

Frank Miller

Person » Frank Miller is credited in 1036 issues.

Frank Miller is one of the comic industry's most well known writer/artists. He is famous for his gritty, noir style and his revisions on classic heroes like Daredevil and Batman, as well in his creator-owned series Sin City.

Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT Original Art Heads To Auction

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Part of what makes comic books so great is the fact that the book is also a piece of art -- and who doesn't want to own a great piece of art? Especially when the item is an original Frank Miller cover for one of the most important and iconic stories? Love him or hate him, Frank Miller has certainly left a stamp on Batman, which is probably why his original Batman sketches tend to go for so much at auction.

No Caption Provided

Heritage Auctions is once again offering a piece of Frank Miller's art. Last year the auctioneer sold an original splash page of Miller's from THE DARK KNIGHT #3 of Batman and Robin gliding across the Gotham City sky. This time, the auctioneer has gotten their hands on two more pieces of original Frank Miller art to be auctioned off separately later this month and one of the pieces happens to be one of the most iconic images of Batman ever. You may have seen the piece which was used as the cover to the ABSOLUTE DARK KNIGHT.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

The cover art will be co-signed by Miller who will also be present at the auction to give the piece which is one of his personal favorites and one he feels "sums the man up." The cover will be auctioned off on Tuesday, February 21st. The second piece is a splash page from BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (10th Anniversary Edition). That particular piece will be auctioned off on February 23rd.

Heritage sold an original piece by Miller last year for a record $448,125. The item had broken all records previously set for any piece of original American comic book art. The previous record had been set by Frank Frazetta when his original cover to WEIRD FANTASY #29 went for $380,000 and SPIDER-MAN #50 sold for $88,500. Those who wish to bid on the auctions later this month can do so in person at The Fletcher-Sinclair Mansion or can call in or head to the Heritage Auctions official website. Bidding for both items will start at $10,000.

How much would you pay for a piece of comic book history?

Trauma2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trauma2007

Anyone have any cash I can borrow?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg
    Love him or hate him, Frank Miller has certainly left a stamp on Batman,
    The cover art will be co-signed by Miller who will also be present at the auction to give the piece which is one of his personal favorites and one he feels "sums the man up."

Yeah, that's why I--well, I don't hate him--but why I don't like Miller's current stuff and think he's a little crazy. He reduces everything to bloody, violent aggression. I don't think this piece of art "sums Batman up" at all, although it is certainly iconic and well deserving of fetching a hefty sum at auction.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Inverno

@fodigg said:

The cover art will be co-signed by Miller who will also be present at the auction to give the piece which is one of his personal favorites and one he feels "sums the man up."

Yeah, that's why I--well, I don't hate him--but why I don't like Miller's current stuff and think he's a little crazy. He reduces everything to bloody, violent aggression. I don't think this piece of art "sums Batman up" at all, although it is certainly iconic and well deserving of fetching a hefty sum at auction.

A "little crazy" is a understatement, my friend. Have you read Holy Terror? Or watched "The Spirit"? If not then do not do this to yourself. He descended into complete madness and is incapable of writing anything out of the Sin City style.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By StarKiller809

If I had a lot of money, this wouldn't be on the top of my list but I think that I would get it. It looks cool and I think it somewhat shows Batman's character. Only somewhat thought.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CitizenJP

times like this i wish i was rich. :/

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If I had the means I'd py any price really. Unfortunately reality must set in, for as much as I'd like those pieces, I know I just couldn't afford them.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Martian

SO COOL. If only I had $$$ :(

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BatClaw89
    @fodigg said:

Ditto

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

absolute article.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.