X-men slowly fading into obscurity

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Saw this thread on CBR yesterday, talking about how kids born in the early 2000s and late 90s have limited exposure to Xmen and don't even know the popular ones

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?88476-Marvel-s-Plan-To-Phase-Out-the-X-Men-Is-Working-Kids-Teens-Don-t-Like-Them

So today at church I asked one of my friends who his favorite 5 X-men were, now this is a dude I talk about godzilla, Kong, power rangers, avengers and CW DC shows with, but he could only name wolverine as an X-man he knew stuff about (he didn't even like wolverine), then he said he didn't like them, that from what he heard they can't Control and use their powers, then tried to use "that girl with mind powers, what's her name" as an example. :( as a Jean grey fan that was painful, so I told him nevermind.

Now I have this two annoying little twins as cousins, was questioning them on their favorite superheroes, but all they could name were avengers, the only Xmen they knew were cyclops and wolverine.

The danger is real people, the X-men are becoming obscure early 90s nostalgia fads, have you experienced similar situations, or do you have experiences that disprove this.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always seen the X-Men as 80's-90s nostalgia, similar to how things like He-Man and Thundercats are 80's nostalgia. They have always been a hodge podge of bad cultural stereotypes set to the tune of being "counter culture" and their most popular stories, characters and concepts are all based around things that were relevant to pop culture in the 80s and early 90s.

Times change, things change. When my uncle was a kid The Little Rascals and musicians like Elvis were ground breaking and popular, our generation will turn into my uncle...if you get what I mean.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By helloman

Eh, the people from where I am at seem to know the X-men.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By adamTRMM

"Inhumans rip off" that's where I stopped taking it for serious. Guy was baiting. I mean, the only thing that could possibly make someone say that was Agents of Shield TV-series experience, where inhumans are very much the "hated and feared" proxy, but then, how does one comes to that conclusion again objectively?

Stop baiting, and chill - GotG trailer was pure lameness, Logan trailer was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't mind if the X-Men become obscure and irrelevant. It's not like we're going to get a run that tops Claremont. As for the video games, cartoons, toys......who really cares?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle

Why do people want the X-Men to be immensely popular again anyways?? The more popular something gets, the more commercialized and shallow it usually becomes.....

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see the "danger" in all this. I grew up when the X-Men were at the height of their popularity it's no surprise I liked the X-Men. I didn't buy the comics though. Now that the Avengers is in the spotlight it only makes sense that the newer generation will like the Avengers but not buy comics. If you read comics then chances are you know about the X-Men. If you don't read comics then you don't know. Why shouldn't that be the case now?

For example if someone asked me back then to name 5 members on the Avengers I wouldn't know anybody really because I only watched X-Men the animated series and Spider-Man the animated series when they were popular in the 90's. Now that I read comics I can name 5 Avengers piece of cake.

Have you forgotten we live in the "comic book movie" era? Don't mistake people's enjoyment of the actors who play Captain America, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, etc. with people actually liking the character. The general public just likes the movies and nothing more. It's like saying you are a "fan" of a band because the song is on the radio...and you never buy an album, attend a concert, etc. Except we have I'm a "fan" of Captain America (Chris Evans)....and I never bought nor read a Captain America comic

TL;DR: Just because "comic book movies" are popular does not mean "comics in general" are popular. After all comic book movie sales are great, comic sales not so great. You would think with more exposure that the comics would sale more but I think with less exposure comics were selling more. I could be wrong though.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Now that X-men is with Disney, not anymore. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

X men will only rise with their FIRST.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Huh? What do you mean?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Huh? What do you mean?

I like it that you don't get it.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:
@jhazzroucher said:
@mrnihal said:

Huh? What do you mean?

I like it that you don't get it.

lol :)

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think the X-Men will ever be GONE, at least as long as Marvel hangs around. Yea, it's possible that Marvel one day decides to nuke the entire franchise, but I don't see that happening given how popular they are. Even if the Inhumans had succeeded in taking off, the mutant race would still have a very solid fan niche. And with how the Inhumans flopped the mutants won't have that competition. Now, I can't speak for their movie future--the FOX-Disney deal could still fall through, or the MCU X-Men could be as bad as the MCU Inhumans--but I don't see Marvel letting such a moneymaking property die.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the X-Men will ever be GONE, at least as long as Marvel hangs around. Yea, it's possible that Marvel one day decides to nuke the entire franchise, but I don't see that happening given how popular they are. Even if the Inhumans had succeeded in taking off, the mutant race would still have a very solid fan niche. And with how the Inhumans flopped the mutants won't have that competition. Now, I can't speak for their movie future--the FOX-Disney deal could still fall through, or the MCU X-Men could be as bad as the MCU Inhumans--but I don't see Marvel letting such a moneymaking property die.

Disney loves the X-men more than the Avengers that's why they really want to get the X-men franchise. I'm pretty sure they'll make sure their X-men movies will be awesome because we've had a lot of Avengers movies already so they will bank on giving us great X-men movies in the future.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where do you get that idea?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Where do you get that idea?

From Cyclops because ideas never die.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why the MCU is a success over the DCEU is because Marvel have made good movies out of comic characters. I have no doubt that Iron Man comic readers who stay beyond one or two issues has not undergone some super charge growth since 2008. The truth of the matter is that the MCU is not driving thousands of people into the comic market and if it is, they aren't staying en masse.

Why is this important? Because comics are a niche market anyway you slice it. Talk to non-comics fans about DC or Marvel properties and I'd be surprised if they know anything that hasn't been put through the mainstream entertainment machine. So people who love, hate, or otherwise are not interested in the MCU/comicbook films not knowing about the X-Men is not a surprise.

Comics are still looked down upon as a form of creative media by the masses the same way being a profession poker player or Youtuber is. Unless this changes, you'll always find people who won't have a clue about anything X-Men related.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why the MCU is a success over the DCEU is because Marvel have made good movies out of comic characters. I have no doubt that Iron Man comic readers who stay beyond one or two issues has not undergone some super charge growth since 2008. The truth of the matter is that the MCU is not driving thousands of people into the comic market and if it is, they aren't staying en masse.

Why is this important? Because comics are a niche market anyway you slice it. Talk to non-comics fans about DC or Marvel properties and I'd be surprised if they know anything that hasn't been put through the mainstream entertainment machine. So people who love, hate, or otherwise are not interested in the MCU/comicbook films not knowing about the X-Men is not a surprise.

Comics are still looked down upon as a form of creative media by the masses the same way being a profession poker player or Youtuber is. Unless this changes, you'll always find people who won't have a clue about anything X-Men related.

That's why I'm glad Disney bought Fox and Disney now owns the X-men franchise.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: And it's why I went nuts when the deal was confirmed. I don't want to see movies bring my favourite X-stories onto the big screen, I want my favourite X-characters being given good stories and films so that people can fall in love with the characters that I have.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhazzroucher

@dasalvadore said:

@jhazzroucher: And it's why I went nuts when the deal was confirmed. I don't want to see movies bring my favourite X-stories onto the big screen, I want my favourite X-characters being given good stories and films so that people can fall in love with the characters that I have.

Not just that. More x-men merchandises present on any mall we go. :)