X-Men 2 or X-Men: First Class?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edamame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll X-Men 2 or X-Men: First Class? (37 votes)

X-Men 2 65%
X-Men: First Class 35%

Which of the two aforementioned X-Men films do you prefer?

• 
Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

X2. First Class Was good, but it really messed up continuty. Its strange how there is a portion of fans that long for Mathew Vaughn to return, yet First Class is responsible for all of the major complaints about the franchise today.

Huir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X2.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

X2. First Class Was good, but it really messed up continuty. Its strange how there is a portion of fans that long for Mathew Vaughn to return, yet First Class is responsible for all of the major complaints about the franchise today.

One thing that people tend to ignore is that Singer had his hands all over First Class and little boys. He was set to direct up until pre production and a lot of the concepts from the film were his idea.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

X2 stomps. First class was meh

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that people tend to ignore is that Singer had his hands all over First Class and little boys. He was set to direct up until pre production and a lot of the concepts from the film were his idea.

I know he was a producer, but Vaughn was as well, and listed as the main writer on that. I also heard somthing about Vaughn having to rewrite it during the last couple weeks.

Singer was both director and producer on DoFP and Apocalypse, and they weren't full off continuity errors like First Class.

I don't really know who came up with what.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By adamTRMM

First Class. I completely agree that it followed the destructive premise of Origins to fuck up continuity, which is all bad and stuff, but it is simply a superior movie. I rewatched X2 some time ago, and I couldn't escape the thought of how dated it is. No matter how many times I watch FC, I enjoy it every time. The movie isn't perfect and it takes too many liberties with not just the source material, but with the movieverse itself, but independently as a movie, it's simply the best X-movie to me. There were some problematic moments, but there were also gold ones to not just compensate, I'd say to totally overshadow them.

And yes, I want Vaughn to take over because that's the director that could mess up all the connectivity, source material and still manage to craft the best flick of the franchise. Imagine what he can potentially do when there's nothing left to mess up... kiddin, when he made a proper work on the bugs.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

I know he was a producer, but Vaughn was as well, and listed as the main writer on that. I also heard somthing about Vaughn having to rewrite it during the last couple weeks.

It was Singer's idea to have the film set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he wanted the story augmented from just being a solo Magneto story, which is what the original version of the script was, and he carried over using the Hellfire Club as villains from his X-Men 3 draft he worked on before he left. He even influenced the casting as Nicholas Hoult was one of the talents he scouted and has worked with numerous times since then.

@invain said:

Singer was both director and producer on DoFP and Apocalypse, and they weren't full off continuity errors like First Class.

Wait, what?? DoFP and Apocalypse have weird continuity gafs with the ages of characters, but, I suppose you could just say he was following the continuity that was already damaged.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like X2 more.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: To be fair, the source material wasn't very good. The First Class era in the comics wasn't good.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BullPR

FC.

Not the best CBM ever. But the one that I personally enjoyed the most.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Singer's idea to have the film set during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he wanted the story augmented from just being a solo Magneto story, which is what the original version of the script was, and he carried over using the Hellfire Club as villains from his X-Men 3 draft he worked on before he left. He even influenced the casting as Nicholas Hoult was one of the talents he scouted and has worked with numerous times since then.

That doesn't really explain all of the errors, though, and whether Singer was involved or not, FC is still the most flawed movie when it comes to continuity problems.

Wait, what?? DoFP and Apocalypse have weird continuity gafs with the ages of characters, but, I suppose you could just say he was following the continuity that was already damaged.

What do you mean? You're talking about them looking too young?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

What do you mean? You're talking about them looking too young?

I am talking about how the ages for characters are random. Scott Jean and Storm are all apparently in their late 20's in the first X-Men movies, which are supposed to take place the year they come out in 2000. In the current films, they are all in their late teens in the 1980s. Some how Scott Jean and Storm age amazingly and Professor X and Magneto age like 40 years in twenty.....it's weird.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:True, it is weird how quickly Charles and Eric age. It wasn't really established how old they were in the first X-Men movie, but the actors were in their mid 20s to mid 30s. Storm was 34, Jean was 36, and Scott was 26.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

@cattlebattle:True, it is weird how quickly Charles and Eric age. It wasn't really established how old they were in the first X-Men movie, but the actors were in their mid 20s to mid 30s. Storm was 34, Jean was 36, and Scott was 26.

Famke Janssen was 36 in the first X-Men film?? Wow. amazing Dutch genetics I suppose. ;)

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Heh, she looked good in the first two, but I thought her age started to show in X3 and The Wolverine. Still didn't look bad, though.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

X2. Like easily.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:

@cattlebattle: Heh, she looked good in the first two, but I thought her age started to show in X3 and The Wolverine. Still didn't look bad, though.

Yeah, they all started to show age in X3, Halle looked older, Hugh looked more haggard and Ian McKellan looked more frail. 6 years took a lot out of those people.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they all started to show age in X3, Halle looked older, Hugh looked more haggard and Ian McKellan looked more frail. 6 years took a lot out of those people.

I noticed that, too. I didn't think that Jackman really started looking old enough to be Wolverine until X3 or Origins.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle

@invain said:

I noticed that, too. I didn't think that Jackman really started looking old enough to be Wolverine until X3 or Origins.

Yeah I guess. I have always thought Wolverine was supposed to look around 35ish, but a rugged 35, which I guess is what age he was around when he was in X3.

Though I think he is a good actor I have never really liked Jackman as Wolverine. He is too tall,, lean and lanky, which is essentially the antithesis of what Wolverine is supposed to be, which is short and stout hence the code name: Wolverine. It's like casting Danny Devito to play Thor or something,

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: I thought he looked too young in the first too. I think he was in his late 20s at first.

Jackman had to grow on me. I though his performances became better with age, even if his movies didnt.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@invain said:

Teenage boys***

Stop fetish shaming, you degenerate. It's 2017!

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Class is the best X-Men.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Revive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X2.

MacDio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X2 is the best X-Men movie imo.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By adamTRMM

To be fair, the source material wasn't very good. The First Class era in the comics wasn't good.

Oh I agree. People who clamor for an o5 movie crack me up. Still, First Class looked nothing like the one most of the fans can agree on being at least a proper lineup. I mean, Mystique and Magneto? Vaughn and crew made it work, but you know what I mean. Also, Hellfire Club as interesting of an interpretation as it was, completely divergent.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X2 is the best from my point of view. First Class was very uninteresting to me, with slight annoyance on how the White Queen is portrayed. I don't think X2 is dated persé. Just a little dark, in terms of lighting and story. It sort of separates itself from how movies are portrayed nowadays, which is fine for me. Unlike most of the other X-Men movies, this one is probably the one that features Wolvie the least outside of films he isn't on the team in. We have moments from Kurt, Jean, Iceman, and the list goes on. It feels less like a Wolverine movie than people give it credit for. A very good movie.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

As good as First Class was.. it focused wayyyyyy too much on the character we weren't interested in seeing as much. Hence why I vote X2 who showcased off the characters we wanted to see.