Worst of the X-Men

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Koays  Online

Hi, I'm Koays....YOUR MUTANT GOD-KING OF THE X-BOARDS!!!

No Caption Provided

Anyway, because I feel we are generally feeling positive about the current quality of X-Men titles i thought we should look back at the steaming piles of shit we've dealt with throughout the history of the X-Men.

So in your PERSONAL opinion, name the:

Worst X-Men Character:

Worst X-Men Team:

Worst X-Men Writer:

Worst X-Men Book:

Worst X-Men Story Arc:

Worst X-Men Era:

AND/OR

The Worst Thing about the current Era of X-Books (If any):

@pyrofn@marvelfan1992@geekryan@lordofallhumans@cattlebattle@invain@hawk2916@mcklayn@adamtrmm@iamre321@ursaber@payneintheass@life_without_progress@god_spawn@waitomegastorm@kasya_carey@del_torro@theinsufferable@onsipin

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we are generally feeling positive about the current quality of X-Men titles

Heh.

Worst character is some overly complicated character, like Cable. Also characters that are very much anachronisms, like again, Cable or someone like Gambit.

Worst writer is probably what's his name? Austen??

Worst X-men book is difficult. I am sure there is something that I completely forgot exists. I found the recent X-men Blue/Red titles to be pretty unreadable.

Story arc is similar to the last one as there is so much it's hard to remember everything an pick just one. The recent Age of X-man was pretty bad though. Probably the lowest selling crossover in history.

Era is objectively the 60s, considering cancellation. Though I think it's a toss up between the late 90s, as I felt the X-men were still coasting off early 90s popularity and struggled creatively and 2010-2020 was pretty bad as Marvel saw them as a bastard child and did almost everything to stifle their mythos.

I don't know. There is a lot of bad things about the current era that probably could facilitate it's own thread. The characters resurrecting is pretty dumb. Not only does it remove stakes but also nothing is explained. Like, at what point do the Hellions recall from their lives?? Do they remember being killed by Fitzroy?? Wouldn't Fitzroy be on the island?? Are they mad about that?? Do they care?? Why do they still wear their Hellions uniforms if the Hellions aren't really a thing anymore?? Well, technically it's a thing because they are alive again but the training of Hellfire assassins at the Mass. Academy isn't a thing. It makes very little sense.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PayneInTheAss

Just throwing The Draco out there for worst arc

Chuck is a popular choice for worst writer, doesn´t mean there aren´t other really bad ones tho

As far as worst character, there´s room to choose, but lately I can´t stand Quentin.

Worst era would probably be late 90s for me.

Worst team requires more thought, can´t say for now.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@koays said:

Hi, I'm Koays....YOUR MUTANT GOD-KINGQUEEN OF THE X-BOARDS!!!

No Caption Provided

Worst X-Men Character:

There's potential in all characters, but I don't know... Fantomex?

Worst X-Men Team:

That one team that Jean assembled to save the X-Men that included that one guy with extra eyes or faces. It was Lobdell's second run that came between Claremont's second run and Morrison.

Worst X-Men Writer:

Your boy Chucky Austen.

Worst X-Men Book:

There were many mini's from the 90s that featured no character development and seemed to be only there to sell issues.

Worst X-Men Story Arc:

You can pick any of Austen's.

Worst X-Men Story Arc:

I think @Cattlebattle said this best. The late 90's and 2010's seemed to be the X-Men at their most unreadable, so I'd go with them. The 60's didn't seem as bad to me in comparison, because the X-Men weren't ever that great to begin with at that point. We didnt see them fall from grace like they did in the late 90's and 2010's.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PyroFN

Worst X-Men Character: Historically, I have never been a fan of Stryfe. Current times, Quentin has been subject of my annoyance. You could say arrogant characters who buy their own false hype are my least favorites.

Worst X-Men Team: Writing-wise? Strategically? Past? Current? Eh.

Writing-wise, Extraordinary X-Men was just not done well, which is weird since the line-up was fantastic.

Strategically, the lack of psychics in Rosenberg’s Astonishing was a glaring issue for me. With exception of Banshee, who was a loose-canon, they seemed to also lack fliers. Dazzler and Havok are decent for destruction and Colossus is a nice brick. Beast is good for intelligence and close combat, but they seemed like something of a demolition team. Warpath felt redundant after the others were put in, so that is why this team feels bad.

Current team in Dawn of X with the worst track record so-far seems to be X-Force. I’m not counting Hellions, since they are just starting out, though they are not off to a good start.

Worst X-Men Writer: Historically, I will not be kind in my speech to Lemire’s writing in Extraordinary. It’s so boring and cliche, with no real character moments for anyone beyond Storm and Magik, with Storm’s moments having no real impact on her character overall.

Current times, was not a fan of Kudranski Hill’s Fallen Angels. Nor am I really a fan of the current Excalibur, but I can at least pull a good majority of character moments in the book. Fallen Angels was just.....weird.

Worst X-Men Book: Extraordinary in the past. Recent is Fallen Angels. Current is Excalibur.

Worst X-Men Story Arc: In the Past: Inhumans vs X-Men. It’s funny how Marvel really thought we‘d be stupid enough to not notice them deliberately painting the X-Men as bad guys. This story just reeks of higher ups coming in and dictating the rule of killing the X-Men. The result is the butchering of so many characters and a turning of the X-fan base against the Inhumans when before we could probably say that at worst we were indifferent.

Current times: Not gonna lie. The books have been pretty solid with the majority of their storytelling. I guess I am gonna say my least favorite arc going on currently is the war between Excalibur and Saturnyne. It’s not that I am unintrigued, I am for the life of me having difficulty following whats going on. When the fans are having constant trouble following your storytelling, you know that you need to change something.

Worst X-Men Era: IvX. The big four (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Storm) were dead. Storm’s team had boring story arcs, the O4‘s adventures were largely irrelevant, and Magneto’s team worked because Bunn largely separated himself from the Inhuman’s nonsense. Emma Frost was MIA until the end of the era, only for her characterization to horrifically murdered. It was a god-awful era and am glad it’s completely over. I hope to god this never happens to any other franchise.

The worst thing? Hmm........

Well, I think Krakoa’s lack of good security has been a large issue of mine. Though I commend them for organically addressing the issue in recent X-Titles, one would think that an entire island that has the most powerful mutants on the planet would be capable of creating a system of defensive measures, since they have been basically doing this all their lives.

It’s a slight pet peeve that kind of takes me out of the story whenever it happens, but can dig some of the creative directions they have gone with intruders invading Krakoa. X-Force most notably.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Koays  Online

@invain: ya mama Invain. Your whole mama

Avatar image for one_truephoenix
One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By One_TruePhoenix

i heard AVX is the worst xmen story and that hope summers is one of the worst characters. i did read some of AVX myself and i absolutely hated it i hated what they did with cyclopss character and it just felt like a total mess. jason aaron and grant morison have been called out but i think grant pissed off more ppl lol everyone one i know hates grant i also feel hes writen somethings very poorly and falied to manafest certain concepts well. and as much as i love the concept of the phoenix i do feel aaron and morison resort to it as a go to for when they run out of ideas which is sad that they keep fucking that one up too...

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard AVX is the worst xmen story and that hope summers is one of the worst characters. i did read some of AVX myself and i absolutely hated it i hated what they did with cyclopss character and it just felt like a total mess. jason aaron and grant morison have been called out but i think grant pissed off more ppl lol everyone one i know hates grant i also feel hes writen somethings very poorly and falied to manafest certain concepts well. and as much as i love the concept of the phoenix i do feel aaron and morison resort to it as a go to for when they run out of ideas which is sad that they keep fucking that one up too...

Eh. AvX is one of those things that could have been great, but they slipped up in choosing the right things to focus on.

Hope honestly had good character arcs leading up to AvX, but then Bendis and co switched gears and turned it into a Scott Summers is evil and everyone on the Avengers have to stop him, despite him doing nothing wrong until near the end.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Man what a question...

Worst character: ehh so soo many to choose from. Fantomex. Cable. Quire. Glob the list goes on

Worst team: probably the new student teams

Worst writer: another multiple choice here. Austen, Aaron, Bendis and Lemire.

Worst book: Again Austen. Wolverine and the Xmen. Current excalibur and so many more

Worst story arc: see above and below lol probably the IVX bs

Worst era: had to be the Inhuman gas cloud era or the late 90's. 60's got it cancelled so that too

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Probably will derail thread a bit, but what are in your opinion some good examples of strategically-wise good X-teams?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PyroFN

@payneintheass: Good question. I tend to think a balance to the team is generally to go for. Have a member who specializes in one or more categories to cover bases. It just makes sense all-around and leaves less room for error in the most organic way possible. A way that doesn’t make it seem unrealistically op. Take the Avengers as a good example of a team that generally has a glaring weak spot in their line-ups if they were to face an X-Men team, pointing to AvX specifically.

No Caption Provided

It’s not an easy thing granted to balance and give something to do for every member, which is why I never really have a problem with writers playing favorites in any comic series, within reason of course. Just so long as everyone has something to do. So, I freely tend to bring out my psychic, my genius, my sniper (Aka long range attackers like Cyclops), my bruiser/brick, and my elemental, with the added bonus of a speed type character for last minute saves and tending to civilians where the telepath can’t deal with at that moment in time.

TeamGXOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@one_truephoenix: @pyrofn

A lot went wrong with AvX...

Biggest problem to me was the WHOLE ENTIRE STORY... meaning... turning Scott into a villain was bullshit, involving the Phoenix in it was bullshit... the whole concept from the get go was shite.

It should have been a Captain America: Civil War style story, in which grounded concepts and situations, (like in the MCU it was the Sokovian Accords) pit the Avengers against the X-Men. Having the Phoenix be the center of that was painful, dull and un-creative. And say what you will, I hate Hope. I really hate Hope. To me... she didn't belong in this.

I also didn't like Here Comes Tomorrow... The way they handled the Phoenix once again, was just plain sloppy, and it felt like... concepts were thrown out to sound powerful and moving... when it felt cheaply over the top, and it just... felt dull in the end...

TeamGXOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I can BEAT everyone in this thread, just thought about it... the WORST of the X-Men...

The NEW Children of the Atom... who's gonna challenge me on this one?

No Caption Provided

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Biggest problem to me was the WHOLE ENTIRE STORY... meaning... turning Scott into a villain was bullshit, involving the Phoenix in it was bullshit... the whole concept from the get go was shite.

It should have been a Captain America: Civil War style story, in which grounded concepts and situations, (like in the MCU it was the Sokovian Accords) pit the Avengers against the X-Men. Having the Phoenix be the center of that was painful, dull and un-creative. And say what you will, I hate Hope. I really hate Hope. To me... she didn't belong in this.

I also didn't like Here Comes Tomorrow... The way they handled the Phoenix once again, was just plain sloppy, and it felt like... concepts were thrown out to sound powerful and moving... when it felt cheaply over the top, and it just... felt dull in the end...

Agreed on Scott being a villain.

I suppose the Phoenix thing could have happened outside of AvX, but at some point it would have to come to Hope because it had been hinted at since Hope’s birth.

No Caption Provided

I like the idea of a Civil War type thing between the X-Men and Avengers.

I am fine with Here Comes Tomorrow overall, but I do think I would have preferred to not have that epilogue in favor of sleeping Jean alive. That’s a conversation that I had in length with @koays as it was, so I won’t go into it in detail.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Koays  Online

@pyrofn said:

I am fine with Here Comes Tomorrow overall, but I do think I would have preferred to not have that epilogue in favor of sleeping Jean alive. That’s a conversation that I had in length with @koays as it was, so I won’t go into it in detail.

Sleeping Jean alive?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PyroFN

@koays said:
@pyrofn said:

Sleeping Jean alive?

My favorite Disney movie. (To answer your real question: Yes.)

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I can BEAT everyone in this thread, just thought about it... the WORST of the X-Men...

The NEW Children of the Atom... who's gonna challenge me on this one?

No Caption Provided

I know about this it is worst idea ever all copycats i like originals they are superoir

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
@teamgxone said:

Agreed on Scott being a villain.

I suppose the Phoenix thing could have happened outside of AvX, but at some point it would have to come to Hope because it had been hinted at since Hope’s birth.

No Caption Provided

I like the idea of a Civil War type thing between the X-Men and Avengers.

hope could be in avx but not phoenix i dont like hope as phoenix she had good powers didnt need phoenix they shouldn never needed to make her phoenix like jean grey and maybe she would be a better character and more unique just my opinion

i did go back over avx and its actually worst than i remmber. you mean like civil war movie? that actually would be cool if xmen and avenger fight somewhere in great battle like airport but not there since the movie. that is a very good idea better than comic version >:| also dont use phoenix for something like that phoenix should be when he/she goes on epic cosmic adventure and i wish there was a comic like that for phoenix :'(

what is here comes tomorrow???

i have heard of it everything says it is excellent and worst ever but which is it is it any good???

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Hi, I'm Koays....YOUR MUTANT GOD-KING OF THE X-BOARDS!!!

No Caption Provided

Anyway, because I feel we are generally feeling positive about the current quality of X-Men titles i thought we should look back at the steaming piles of shit we've dealt with throughout the history of the X-Men.

So in your PERSONAL opinion, name the:

Worst X-Men Character:

Worst X-Men Team:

Worst X-Men Writer:

Worst X-Men Book:

Worst X-Men Story Arc:

Worst X-Men Era:

AND/OR

@pyrofn@marvelfan1992@geekryan@lordofallhumans@cattlebattle@invain@hawk2916@mcklayn@adamtrmm@iamre321@ursaber@payneintheass@life_without_progress@god_spawn@waitomegastorm@kasya_carey@del_torro@theinsufferable@onsipin

worst thing to me for new books is bad phoenix stories dont write phoenix unless it is epic cosmic adventure well written not what ive seen

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adamTRMM

Nothing beats Aaron. Absolutely nothing. Many others did shit as well, but there's a single most prominent and decisive Shitking of the X-men shit writings, and his name is Jason Aaron.

Edit: just thinking of Schism and WatXM grants me a minor convulsion.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Nothing beats Aaron. Absolutely nothing. Many others did shit as well, but there's a single most prominent and decisive Shitking of the X-men shit writings, and his name is Jason Aaron.

x-men gold team with kitty in charge was worst lmao

i actually liked x-men blue especially when they fight maddie in the first acr then emma in the second arc

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Worst X-Men Character: Cable. Joseph, Hellion, Icarus, Lifeguard, Slipstream, Magma, Gaia, X-Man, Pyro II, Ink, and Havok are all good runner-ups. Really tried to only list those who were main characters at some point.

Worst X-Men Team: Time-Displaced X-Men / Original 5.

Worst X-Men Writer: Matt Fraction. Marc Guggenheim. Matt Rosenberg (his New Mutants was good though).

Worst X-Men Era: Utopia. I don't know if there was a single good book at this time. Really dull premise, bland writing, and the books had so many cameos but for the first time didn't feel like a true ensemble.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

i wonder if people didnt like Aaron's WatXM cause it was more "campy"(light-hearted), made wolverine look soft. Heck even mystique told logan "u became the school marm" lmao XD XD XD

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Koays  Online

Aaron remains trash wherever he goes.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: the worst of the x-men: koays' opinions about the x-men LOL hahahahah ha ha

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mooty_Pass

Worst X-Men Character: There’s a lot, but WOLVERINE.

Worst X-Men Team: Don’t have one....yet.

Worst X-Men Writer: Marc GUGGENHEIM

Worst X-Men Book: X-Men Gold

Worst X-Men Story Arc: I can’t choose one. -_-

Worst X-Men Era: AVX

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AVX is definitely one of the worst of all almost should neverhad been made in the first place.

michal bendis is one of the worst writers to me

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooty_pass said:

AVX is definitely one of the worst of all almost should neverhad been made in the first place.

i liked AvX, it was a good idea, one super hero team fighting the other........could have been made better and not use phoenix ploy for the 445th time......(lol avengers have to deal with phoenix force now, my own personal revenge, haha)

maybe x-fans didnt like AvX cause it showed x-men lost, cyclops was right, etc

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@one_truephoenix said:
@mooty_pass said:

i liked AvX, it was a good idea, one super hero team fighting the other........could have been made better and not use phoenix ploy for the 445th time......(lol avengers have to deal with phoenix force now, my own personal revenge, haha)

maybe x-fans didnt like AvX cause it showed x-men lost, cyclops was right, etc

to me its poorly writen i just reread it recently and like--- i'm sorry I REALLY don't like it, and i see why others hated it if they do >_<

Avatar image for obscureobsidian
ObscureObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Worst X-Men Character: When people are usually presented with this question they tend to think of characters whose powers are not cool enough for them and go for low hanging fruit. Like Maggott, a character who had the bad luck of not being created in Grant Morrison's New X-Men, where his weirdness wouldn't been wasted. If I should pick their characters whose actions made the most angry, at least lately, I would say both Beast and Wolverine have become pretty big unlikeable jerks lately, altjough Logan has mellowed a bit fortunately. Hank... there's still some titles where I like him, like in Mr and Mrs X, but since Avengers vs X-Men he has only made stupid decisions, ironically being supposedly the genius of the original five. Like bringing the original five from the past, or almost destroying the whole Marvel multiverse, or siding with the Inhumans during the M-Pox crisis. I never liked Charles Xavier in the main continuity either, wether it was when he faked his death in the 60s, when the whole Deadly Genesis or the fact that he created the Xavier Protocols. Seriously why they still put up with this man? Even Magneto took better care of the New Mutants. And It's pretty clear writers haven't know what to do with Hope since AvX.

Worst X-Men Team: Even in runs I don't like there's always at least one character I like writing in a way I like, so this one is hard for me to pick. Hell, I liked the team rosters in Chuck Austen's and Peter Milligan's runs (please don't mistake with Milligan's X-Statix), what I didn't like was the writing!!

Worst X-Men Writer:Chuck Austen is, or at least used to be, the most common answer. But recently I re-read a couple of Matt Fraction's run and I realised that, while not being the worst, the style he applies to the comics feels pretty obnoxious, trying to hard to be tongue in cheeck which is incredibly tone deaf taking into account this is post-House of M pre-AvX, one of the darkest and longest eras. Peter David also used humor in his run at the time, but the humor came from the characters' personalities as a way to make us care about them in such a dire situation, not because of a misguided stylistic choice. Mark Millar is another writer whose work with the X-Men I dislike, taking into account titles like Ultimate X-Men and Old Man Logan. I also think Brian Michael Bendis made a lot of questionable decisions during his own run, from bringing the original five to the present to Dazzler's redesign by Kris Anka. And Jason Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men never sat right with me, the way he wrote Paige and the way he so clearly favored Logan really left a sour taste in my mouth. And let's not mention Kitty's weird alien pregnancy.

Also there's no question about worst artist? Really? Okay, besides easy targets like Greg Land and Rob Liefeld, I must admit that besides Joe Quesada I didn't like any of the artists that worked on Peter David's first X-Factor run. Most of them were stylism gone wrong. Joe Madureira and Brett Booth artstyles are pretty much poorly aged products of their times, and early Andy Kubert really needed to define his style better. His work in Origins: Wolverine is great tho. Never liked Sean Chen's work in X-Men: The End either. Also Jon Bogdanove deservers a dishonorable mention for creating continuity errors that other artists, including Liefeld, didn't make during X-Tinction Agenda. It's so bad there's a list of them in the Wikipedia article.

Worst X-Men Book: I don't know if the worst, but if a writer did half of the things Chris Claremont did just in the first four issues of X-Men Forever, he would probably be the most hated writer. Killing Wolverine permanently, making Storm evil (yes, yes, I know the whole cloning bs that is revealed later in that title, it doesn't make up the fact we still see Storm going evil in the first episodes without explaining why and killing someone who has been her friend and teammate almost since they joined together), reducing Jean to Logan's lover despite being with Scott at the time (although I must admit I love the annual where this happens, it must be Sana Takeda's gorgeous art) and the whole "mutant burnout" thing. Also too much S.H.I.E.L.D. for my taste. X-Men Misfits is probably a pretty bad one too. Is basically turning the X-Men franchise in a reverse harem shoujo manga, and I'm not against that on principle. BUT X-Men is known and praised for its female characters galleries, from Jean Grey to X-23, so taking one of the most beloved, Kitty Pryde, strap her of everything that made her an unique character and reduced to another reverse harem flat one-dimensional MC is not just poor writing, is insulting. Ultimate X-Men was also always pretty crappy, with Dazzler turned into an alcoholic punk, Logan leaving Scott in the Savage Land to die, Kurt being homophobic and many, many other problems.

Worst X-Men Story Arc: I don't think many people know about this one, but Peter Milligan's Bizarre Love Triangle is so bad that for years I thought Chuck Austen wrote it. The story is about a new female student in Xavier's School in the post-Planet X pre-House of M days that she quickly starts to make moves on Gambit, who's a teacher at the school at the time. When she's still with Rogue. Yikes. But don't worry, she's not actually a teenager, she's just Mystique in disguise, who has infiltrated in the mansion to... Seduce Remy to prove Rogue he's not good for her? Da fack? To add more insult to injury the story arc takes its name from my favorite New Order song. It says a lot when the only possitive thing I can say about it is that at least Salvador Larroca is really good at drawing Remy in ways it make him look hot.

Worst X-Men Era: The whole M-Pox thing was pretty stupid and insulting, but I want to go a little back. Also while I at least can point out to a single run or title I like in otherwise era I generally dislike, I have a hard time picking one during this one. And that's a shame because I was actually excited for Extraordinary X-Men and I'll even say I liked the outfit Jean wore in that title.

The Worst Thing about the current Era of X-Books (If any): Bold to you to add the If Any. But the one who posted this thread seems to be pretty pro-Krakoa for what I saw, and I already left in another thread a long post with my problems with just one aspect of it.

Also did we have a thread with the best ones? I'd like to post there too.

onsipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that Inhumans vs X-Men was the worst one. The fact that the faction with the mist that creates super beings while at the same time is killing an entire species is not the one being viewed as the bad guy already tells you the event is nonsense