Why the X-Men don't need too

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

No Caption Provided

I heard a lot people say that the X-Men comics need be to rebooted or they need to come to end. I completed disagree with these suggestions and I’m going explain why.

If they were rebooted, you run the risked of writers coming along and doing anything with characters, making mess up decisions with the characters as well as ignoring X-Men history. Over the years, we had a lot of different titles that focuses on different realities and different versions of the X-Men. Often those titles, feel like Marvel trying to reboot the X-Men some way.

Just look at Forever X-Men, I red the first graphic novel of that series and then I drop it, because it was terrible and surprisingly it was written by Chris Claremont. He had Storm killed Wolverine, Jean loved Wolverine and not Cyclops. Then you discover the only reason why Charles form the X-Men was for survival , Mutants survival Nothing to do with fighting for peace between mutants and humans alike. Nothing to do with fighting for equality and acceptance. I only red the first 5 issues of that series and it suck.

Then you have titles of like Ultimate X-Men from the 2000’s, which was ok series, it still had some bad decision, like Wolverine trying to kill Cyclops, Colossus becoming gay and Cable having claws.

I think some X-Men fans think, that the comics have only gotten bad of the over last couple of years, that’s cause it more obvious . To be fair Marvel have ruin the X-Men franchise of the last 18 years. They have destroy most of the beloved X-Men characters over the last 18 years .

I mean they killed Jean in the early 2000’s, destroy her marriage and show her no respect and they kept her dead for nearly 9 years.

Then they destroy Charles Xavier, they destroy any trust Cyclops and the X-Men had in him. In the end Cyclops kicks him out of the X-Men. Then the X-Men turn there back on him. Then Cyclops Kill him and then Marvel had Red Skull take his brain. Which is most disgusting thing I ever see in comics.

Then there Cyclops, Emma Wolverine.

Cyclops was the focus of the X-Men comics for nearly 5 years, whatever direction the comics took Cyclops was at the centre of the it. In the end they turn Cyclops into the most hated character in the Marvel universe, I mean the Avengers hated him and even some of his friends in the X-Men did not like him anymore. Then they killed him and replace him with younger version of himself.

Then there Emma, my god what happened to Emma. As soon Cyclops dies, she kind goes crazy and becomes a villain. At it looks like she going remain a villain and no longer be one of the X-Men. Which kind shows she had no place in the X-Men team without Scott Summers. Which is kind of sad and pathetic.

Then there Wolverine, after being a leader of two hit- man squads, some how he become headmaster of school. Some how he qualified to run a school and he the only one to challenge Cyclops for leadership of the X-Men. Then he betrayed mutant kind in the AVX event. Then he loses his healing factor and dies a year later. Now there been dragging out his return, for nearly two years.

Then there Storm, Rogue and Magneto.

Storm is nothing like the character she was in the 1980’s or 1990s. It almost feel like she become irrelevant. It’s almost like she not important to X-Men writers anymore. She took a backseat to Kitty and then Jean Grey. Before that she took a backseat to Cyclops, Wolverine and Emma. Even Magneto, Charles, Psylocke, Havok, Polaris and Magik have show more leadership and been more important to X-Men in some way.

Then there Rogue, She was written well in X-Men Legacy, then she join the Uncanny Avengers, wasn’t with the X-Men nearly 5 years. She wasn’t written well with Uncanny Avengers. The only thing I like was her interactions with Wanda.

Then there Magneto, his solo series was good, but that’s just about it. Let’s not forget he lost to Iron Man in a fight and then he was knees worshipping Cyclops, when he join the X-Men.

Then there Bishop, Gambit, Jubilee, Beast, Iceman and Mystique.

Bishop became a traitor to mutant race and wannabe child killer, it’ seems like that gets forgotten too much.

Gambit for most part seems irrelevant to X-Men, he just pops up in titles from time to time. Its seem like Marvel were trying to replace him with Fantomex

Jubilee kind of irrelevant too and only pops up titles.

Gambit, Bishop and Jubilee don’t seem like some of core X-Men anymore. It seems like Marvel would rather focus Angel, Iceman, Kurt, Emma, Colossus, Beast, Magik Kitty and X-23 over them over the years.

What about Beast, Beast has became of the most hated X-Men character by the fans. Most fan disliked him, because he gave Cyclops grief.

Then there Iceman, they turn him gay and then they focus on him by giving him two solo titles.

What about Raven, they puts her in two X-Men teams and do nothing with her. She has the X-Men black issue, but that’s’ it.

As you can seen Marvel have treated 14 X-Men characters really badly, most of those characters are quite popular and some of them are the most core x-Men and Marvel ruined them or tarnished there character in some way.

I think some of these bad decision made over the years for these X-Men characters get overlooked. They get overlooked, caused will we red some good titles over the years like Mike Carey X-Men run, Joss Whedon run, Peter David X-Factor Investigations series . The Messiah Saga, Kyle & Yost X-Force run. It’s almost like Marvel are papering over the cracks. It’s like these good titles overshadow all the bad decisions marvel have made for the X-Men franchise.

I feel there to much negativity around X-Men fans today, cause Marvel have made some obvious bad decisions over last few years. Killing of Cyclops, Wolverine, getting rid of Emma and trying replace the X-Men with Inhumans. We should be glad the Inhumans were not successful. Can you imagine if Inhumans TV show was a successful and Disney weren’t getting Fox. Can you imagine how much worse it would be for the X-Men. While that happens some X-Men fans ignored bad decisions of past.

At times feels some X-Men fans expect too much. The X-Men will never be as good as they once were for most X-Men fans. Whatever your favourite era for the X-Men is or your favourite titles are. Whether it’s the 1980’s or 1990’s or Grant Morrison run or Joss Whedon. You always going to compare today’s comics to your favourite comics. Sometime are expectations and standards are set too high for X-Men comics and how we think they should written.

We all know why the X-Men franchise has suffered, because of the success of MCU, cause both Disney and Marvel were angry at fox and they didn’t own the right to X-Men and they didn’t want to promoted them.

X-Men don’t need to be rebooted. What really need to happen. Is Marvel and Disney really need to care about the X-Men again. I mean the people in charge at Disney and Marvel need to care. Sadly that won’t happen until we see X-Men in the MCU. Sadly money is the deciding factor. If the MCU X-Men films make more money than most of the films in the MCU, the future might be bright for the X-Men. Only a huge MCU movie crossover with the X-Men will make more money then Avengers 3 &4. Fingers cross that will happen.

For the most part, I’ve enjoyed the X-Men comics of 2018. The comics have been better than 2017 and miles better than 2016. The X-Men comics are improving, it might take another 5 years for X-Men to really good again. I intend to share my thoughts on the X-Men comics of 2018 soon.

By the way X-Men comics, don’t need to end, What’s the alternative, kill some of the X-Men characters and have the rest join the Avengers, Defenders or Champions, no thanks. We see what happen to the X-Men when they join other teams.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

No to reboot!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Was this in "pidgin"??

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t agree to a reboot either. It’s not the writers will do whatever they want excuse I’m worried about. They’ll do that either way.

My problem is with the idea that starting fresh means any writing that doesn’t mess with X-Men history is good writing, so starting anew would guarantee better writing asa result. Bad writing is bad writing, no matter how long a book has been in development.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people wanting a 'reboot' is a really small microcosm of the community.

The obvious answer is to simply fix it, though that's far harder to pin down.

In my opinion, all of these problems can be traced back to writers who care little for the characters, history, or consistency of comics as a medium. Those problems aren't being pruned out by editors who have to make something that appeals to the old, new and emerging fanbase. To top it off, the price asked for the art given is at best, inconsistent, and at worst, indie.

What most of the writers are gunning for is to put increasingly left leaning, one sided and identity driven motiffs throughout their works. It's more pronounced in the newer writers who aren't entirely familiar with the pacing and drama required for comics, and its getting more overt as even the experienced 'pros' add more virtuous concepts in.

It goes without saying that these motiffs and concepts can and could work within the X-Men. The problem is when story, character and continuity are degraded in service of something else.

Reboots will not solve anything as long as the writing staff doesn't change. And even if the writing staff changes, it'd be likely to cause more of the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No to reboot.They're gonna obliterate my favorite if they ever rebooted.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adamTRMM

Ok, if they don't need reboot, they need to be completely retired ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JeannieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it in the other thread. I dont want a reboot because I don't want to have to reread the same old stories being redone worse while we wait 10 years for certain characters to be reintroduced while 20 others are shoved into one issue.

But at the same time I respect the notion that the X-books need new creative and never.before seen stories. I mean I've been asking the X-stories and characters to go political with the mutant stuff for years (not necessarily real world political) and the most we keep getting is a moment with a politician or with the government leaders or with someone in the public eye that gets dropped by the end of the issue so the X-men can fight ninja robots.

Wheres President Dazzler? Wheres President Kitty? Wheres the Hellfire club trying to control political rhetoric? Wheres the politician dating an X-Man arguing different sides of the mutant cause.

This is just one of many new batteries you can plug into the back of the franchise to reignite it without eliminating all of the things we like about it and starting over fresh. Because in the end everyone who says they want a reboot will be all for it right up until some writer decides to kill Rogue for dramatic effect....which is basically what happened in Ultimate X-men when they needed to make their story mean something when.compared to the original source.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Koays

@theinsufferable said:
@koays said:

Because in the end everyone who says they want a reboot will be all for it right up until some writer decides to kill Rogue for dramatic effect.

Reminded me of this: https://www.cbr.com/x-men-rogue-grant-morrison/

Lol exactly. (Although I'm totally glad that 2000's Rogue toned down the southern belle nonsense and in the end actually did gain some of those Paquin/Evolution Rogue traits)

Also...heres a way to start a beef. "Hey Jean fans. Jean died so that Rogue could live."

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheInsufferable  Online

@koays: Yeah, and Scott cheated on Jean to be the one who had "the talk" with Logan instead of Gambit.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well something needs to be done.

As far as rebooting and/or retelling some of the old stories...it's not like some if that late 90's stuff with all the convoluted clones and garbage is so great so some updating would be ok. The problem is which writer could actually do it right without plugging all this left leaning bs.

I honestly think things would be fine if we got some separation as far as teams go with their purpose and all, no multiples of the same character, characters appear in one book, no more Phoenix, no time travel or alternate reality, no more needless and useless death that will of course be reversed and no more changing characters status quo just to try and appease some liberal internet warriors who aren't even comic fans but try to cause a problem for anything and anyone based on race, nationality,sexuality, etc

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

As far as rebooting and/or retelling some of the old stories...it's not like some if that late 90's stuff with all the convoluted clones and garbage is so great so some updating would be ok.

Yeah, I agree. Also, even though the 80s is considered the X-Men's golden age it is still loaded with clunkers, dangling plot lines that went nowhere, incomplete plot lines, and character inconsistencies. I don't get why people are so fervently anti-reboot. It's a goofy comic book, it's not like you're reinterpreting "Anna Karenina" or something.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn’t reboot the X Universe so much as clean it up. Too many dangling plots that were never resolved, too many redundant characters hanging around and not enough quality control oversight from the editors making sure things mesh properly.

All completely fixable, it’ll just take awhile to accomplish.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

"But at the same time I respect the notion that the X-books need new creative and never.before seen stories. I mean I've been asking the X-stories and characters to go political with the mutant stuff for years (not necessarily real world political) and the most we keep getting is a moment with a politician or with the government leaders or with someone in the public eye that gets dropped by the end of the issue so the X-men can fight ninja robots.

Wheres President Dazzler? Wheres President Kitty? Wheres the Hellfire club trying to control political rhetoric? Wheres the politician dating an X-Man arguing different sides of the mutant cause."

I agree with alot of this. In fact I've been wanting to see an Xfactor book return but going back to the government sponsored mutant police squad. Maybe add the caveat that Kitty runs for a wins a Senate seat or becomes a Congresswoman or a Governor and is on a committee assigning missions to this team along people like Val Cooper as a liasion. Anyway the idea is to have that more complex political tone somewhat but still be Xmen

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Very true but even more so then an X-Factor book about it we need it as a direction for the main series.

In my opinion a spinoff is about telling the stories that you cant fit in the original work. And it's kind of hurt the X-Men that over the last decade the B-plots have been either non existent or abruptly diffused before they were executed while spinoff books like X-Force and X-Factor in even their worst incarnations have had runs with plotlines and characters that would be intriguing for a main series title to deal with. We've got plenty of room for a Mayor/senator/govenor Kitty story in the main books with characters like Emma Frost, Jean, and even Cyclops and Storm having been politically active enough to inform her or conflict with her. The X-men and their public mission being interlaced with their public figureheads political responsibility to the people is a great dynamic especially when facing threats that are arguably bigger then politics.

As for an X-Force or Factor connected to government or being used to further the agenda I like the idea, but it just needs to be spun into something more impactful to me. Something that can actually have a lasting effect instead of being yet another X-spinoff that we would never know existed if we weren't already reading it. Give us a X-Factor for Emma Frost where she gets to truly become Kittys foil as the dark side of background politics that gets things done when arguing in a Senate meeting or a debate doesnt work. Give her the team that embraces the idea of trading favors and commiting espionage for power. Let her team include members of the X-Men that are otherwise loyal.

And more importantly give the X-Men the same enemies that they've always had so that it's clear that the world doesnt stop being evil just because theyve made a little progress. Show us Apocalypse, show us Sinister, show us the Juggernaut, but most importantly show us Magneto and his brotherhood working all sides in the background to further the cause but always ready to go all out because in the end their goal isnt acceptance, it's to eventually grow to replace humanity.

And that's just one direction, because political isnt the way that we NEED to go. We could just as easily have the X-Men deal with something different and home grown. A new mutant group that is untrained, or a mutant that makes the whole world forget about mutants, someone invents a genetic modification that let's you pick your X-gene or the X-men and ONLY the X-Men lose their powers but still have to find a way to do their job and help lead the mutant community until they can figure out how it happened.

Endless potential.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: yeah. Honestly that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's so much that could be done.

I had very similar thoughts for Emma especially being that not everyone has do things Xavier's way or go to his school.

And also the idea of transhumanism, which another poster is really an authority on, but the idea of a group who worships or is obsessed with mutants to the point of wanting their abilities is one that should be explored more. Expand on the Reavers concept, and Lobe's group with Bouncing Betty and all. Hell we explain stuff like the Children of the Vault based on this and even more.

I don't care where the story appears because really I would have all of it interconnected. Xfactor would be the government team. Uncanny Xmen would be the continuation of the Extinction team and their agenda. Xforce could be the wetworks underground team or the time travel au squad like the Exiles.

But there's so much that can be done which is why the current garbage that we get is so difficult to stomach. I see much better concepts and ideas in forums like this and funny it's all coming from people that are just throwing out ideas off the top of their heads and in their spare time, not like it's their job to do it. WTF marvel!!