• 92 results
Avatar image for kenshiro3051996
kenshiro3051996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who does Jean love more? Scott or Logan (51 votes)

Scott 78%
Logan 22%

Not who you prefer her with, or who you think makes a better couple with her, but who she loves more

Scott or Logan?

No Caption Provided

• 
LowMageKage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Summers with a passion, but even I know this a no brainer. So Scummers.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Koays  Online

How is this even a question?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By WollfMyth209

The one she married and had children with and lived "happily ever after" and stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c80832cdb7ee
deactivated-5c80832cdb7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

@koays: YES! Thank You So freaking Much!

JeannieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: How is this even a question?

This.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Logan just to mess with you guys. So take that overwhelming evidence, in your face!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Scott easily.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the long run, Scott, but her current path is basically "strong woman, don't need no man".

Avatar image for demightysquidge
DeMightySquidge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

It's like asking "Do you prefer Jean when she's a redhead, or when she's a brunette?"

Jean has only ever loved one man.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jhazzroucher

In the long run, Scott, but her current path is basically "strong woman, don't need no man".

I think she needs Cyclops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5beeed406e9c9
deactivated-5beeed406e9c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gabby

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: If we're moving from 'love' to 'need', she's basically the one woman army of X-Men Red. The current iteration of Jean Grey is completely self-sufficient by design.

The closest she had to an emotional struggle was a random projectile hotdog.

Chalk it up to Tom Taylor being a terrible character writer or not, her current iteration has been completely distant to Scott or Logan.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: She didn’t have children with him and lived happily ever after. She just married him and they cheated on each other with Scott pledging his love to another woman after Jeans death.

Those children are either from alternate realities whom she took in as her children or Nathan. And again, despite all that, they still cheated.

Jean loves Scott. Scott loves Jean...and Emma.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashetdust: You can at least take solace in the fact that there is evidence that Jean made room for Logan in her heart. Not enough to commit and break-up with Scott or even act on her feelings truly, but there was something that she mentioned. And Scott acknowledged it and stuck with Jean anyways.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PyroFN

@gladeusex: Truth.

Edit: Also, character struggle? Like Cassandra Nova impersonating Jean via complicated video? Or Jean having to fight Rachel? Or having to go through the trouble of clearing her name against a telepath?

You can not like the book all you like, but you can’t claim Jean has had no struggles that mattered. And not all her plans were her own. Gabby helped Jean look at things from a different perspective which led to calling Tony Stark, Trinary, Gabby, And X-23 solved the Sentinite crisis, and Trinary helped clear Jeans name.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@pyrofn said:

@wollfmyth209:

@pyrofn said:

@ashetdust: You can at least take solace in the fact that there is evidence that Jean made room for Logan in her heart. Not enough to commit and break-up with Scott or even act on her feelings truly, but there was something that she mentioned. And Scott acknowledged it and stuck with Jean anyways.

Nothing new here folks.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Jean doesn’t need Scott and Storm is losing her relevancy and resistance to psionic manipulation and attacks. Now, we have Jean, Rachel, AND Typhoid Mary hitting Storm with illusions, psychic bolts, and straight shut downs. So if anyone needs a man to pick her up, it’s Storm and Wolverine has his own issues to deal with that don’t involve Storm, nor are they what Storm could help with. So blow away little cloud because it’s sunny skies for the new leader of the X-Men, Jean Grey.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need a retcon where it's revealed Jean was cheating on Scott with Logan occasionally and maybe even with others too.

Yes I want the Xmen become so ruined the reboot will become inevitable.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:The video impersonation was cleared up in a few pages. If that constituted a struggle, other character arcs have been world ending events by comparison.

As for the British UN member getting blown up, that had potential - but that barely had an impact. All of Jean's monologues - now and around that time - have all been eerily calm. The only moment she's gotten legitimately angry was the hotdog.

I don't remember Jean fighting Rachel - I thought it was basically Jean doing a 'take me in her place' switcheroo, followed by another calm monologue.

The only thing more dangerous than the hotdog I think, was Ahab dive bombing Atlantis, when Typhoid Mary got additional mcguffin powers, or the timey wimey future where Sentinels are actually capable of killing people.

Don't... don't get me started on Gabby.

Regardless, Jean's plan was still her own (even if it's a completely recycled plan).

That... wait, if this is about struggle, I'm getting the sense that all of her struggles are being solved by other people. That, or the struggles are actually just really manageable in the grand scheme of things.

For the most part, I find a good character struggle to be one where the main character either has to pick between two equally bad options, OR broach methodology that contradicts a core tenet of themselves. A physical challenge is also a decent struggle, but it's fairly bread and butter.

Which makes me ask - when has Jean ever had to pick between two bad options, or contradict a core tenet? Jean Grey has been fairly pious as of late, hasn't been wounded, and doesn't seem the least bit conflicted about merging people's minds. Neither does she mind sending Gabby into danger.

If you'd like probably the best example, Cyclops tells Oye to 'do what you think is right' when it came to going ham on hellfire club goons who actually won a fight.

Xavier was pretty damn perturbed with changing the timeline, broaching his future, or even just wiping someone out of existence with the biggest cock block of the century.

Those are the ones that come to mind...........

...........Buuuuuuuuuut, I have to consider the namesake of the thread. I had largely meant the 'completely self-sufficient' in the vein of 'does she need emotional support, a relationship, or male companionship', and it was largely no.

It occurs to me that I had put 'emotional' struggle. That... probably would have saved me some time. Nova, Rachel and Ahab have scarcely caused her any emotional struggle (compared to a physical struggle or smear campaign) compared to a hotdog.

I'm calling it now, hotdog - best new villain of 2018.

@adamtrmm: Teen Jean Grey has been the exact opposite, making a love triangle with Beast pretty early. If you're looking for infidelity, it'd be there.

Then again, Jean Grey is sacred, so I doubt they'd rewrite her purity like that.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: @ashetdust: @iamre321@mrnihal: @adamtrmm: @gladeusex: @pyrofn: jean and scott will always be the most popular x-couple........they had the most time together in years.......and as per emma words "scott's love for jean grey will never fully close" ......

@koays said:

leave it to a newbie to open on of these scott/jean/logan poll LOL

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Savor the past years while they lasted, because they seem hellbent on keeping Scott dead.

As for the most popular romance, that might take a dive given how meh the teen romance is.

As always, Emma Frost is love, Emma Frost is life.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Savor the past years while they lasted, because they seem hellbent on keeping Scott dead.

As for the most popular romance, that might take a dive given how meh the teen romance is.

As always, Emma Frost is love, Emma Frost is life.

LOL emma frost is black king, emma frost murdered shaw, emma frost is probably going to be a bad guy again.......emma frost isnt needed anymore thanks to the return of jean grey XP XP XD

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Laugh if you must, but a terribly written Emma Frost is - sadly - better than the dull stone of Jean Grey.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean loves bishop more!

No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Jean loves bishop more!

No Caption Provided

LOL no no ty ...............its hard seeing jean as the other woman cause she was the "got cheated on wife"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Jean loves bishop more!

No Caption Provided

LOL no no ty ...............its hard seeing jean as the other woman cause she was the "got cheated on wife"

She is gonna kiss bishop sooooooooooooooooooooon!

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@jhazzroucher: Jean doesn’t need Scott and Storm is losing her relevancy and resistance to psionic manipulation and attacks. Now, we have Jean, Rachel, AND Typhoid Mary hitting Storm with illusions, psychic bolts, and straight shut downs. So if anyone needs a man to pick her up, it’s Storm and Wolverine has his own issues to deal with that don’t involve Storm, nor are they what Storm could help with. So blow away little cloud because it’s sunny skies for the new leader of the X-Men, Jean Grey.

I see you picked up on that as well about writers changing Storm's psychic resistance. Storm got mind controlled in IvX too.

Looks like her iron will is starting to slip a little.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:
@pyrofn said:

@wollfmyth209:

@pyrofn said:

Nothing new here folks.

Exactly. And yet people love to forget these not new facts about Scott and Jean so that they can be together. Its ridiculous.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: heck no!!!!! no one wants to kiss bishop.......he damaged goods.........i still dont forgive him for trying to kill hope when she was a baby......

@pyrofn said:
@mrnihal said:
@pyrofn said:

@wollfmyth209:

@pyrofn said:

Nothing new here folks.

Exactly. And yet people love to forget these not new facts about Scott and Jean so that they can be together. Its ridiculous.

:P :P XP

yeah but no one suffered more then jott fans.......its time for jott to come back together for good......sure some people break up but sometimes they get back together..........jott rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: heck no!!!!! no one wants to kiss bishop.......he damaged goods.........i still dont forgive him for trying to kill hope when she was a baby......

@pyrofn said:
@mrnihal said:

Nothing new here folks.

yeah but no one suffered more then jott fans.......its time for jott to come back together for good......sure some people break up but sometimes they get back together..........jott rules

Jean and bishop for the win.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture:

I don't know Hope. I almost feel like they are trying to push Jean into being the face of the X titles because Kitty wasn't as well received as they hoped, and we know how well that relationship between Kitty and Peter turned out.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:The video impersonation was cleared up in a few pages. If that constituted a struggle, other character arcs have been world ending events by comparison.

Yes,, it was a struggle for Jean.

No Caption Provided

It took Honey Badger to push her to think from another angle. I'd agree if Jean figured it out without Gabby's interference. And again, Jean had to ask help from Tony Stark to and the Avengers to stop Cassandra. It being solved in the matter of a couple of pages diesn't negate the fact that Jean couldn't do this alone.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As for the British UN member getting blown up, that had potential - but that barely had an impact. All of Jean's monologues - now and around that time - have all been eerily calm. The only moment she's gotten legitimately angry was the hotdog.

No impact? Right.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Definitely a blip on Jeans radar.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Everything was tied up so simply.

No Caption Provided

It wasn't even Jean that took care of the problem. She had to rely on her team to get the proof before facing the world.

No Caption Provided

As for Jeans monologues, that is Jeans job as a leader. She has to keep it together to solve problems and get people to trust her leadership. Its no different from when Scott does it

No Caption Provided

Or when Charles does it.

No Caption Provided

I don't remember Jean fighting Rachel - I thought it was basically Jean doing a 'take me in her place' switcheroo, followed by another calm monologue.

Actually, it was one of those solid illusion tricks Jean used in Phoenix Resurrection.

No Caption Provided

But not only did the illusion still fight Rachel, Jean almost lost Rachel in the process. So, it wasn't all cut and dry until Jean got Rachel out of there.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The only thing more dangerous than the hotdog I think, was Ahab dive bombing Atlantis, when Typhoid Mary got additional mcguffin powers, or the timey wimey future where Sentinels are actually capable of killing people.

Or a Hulk level super attacking Atlantis.

No Caption Provided

Or a giant Sentinel appearing from nowhere.

No Caption Provided

Or armed gunmen whom Jean couldn't simply shut down with her powers and had to switch to her telekinesis to stop because they were carrying automatic rifles.

No Caption Provided
Or mind-controlled X-Men

No Caption Provided

Don't... don't get me started on Gabby.

Sorry, but Gabby has had just as much of the spotlight. She is basically a blend of Iceman and X-23. What do you expect? She's a kid. She is also responsible for searebro's name.

No Caption Provided

Regardless, Jean's plan was still her own (even if it's a completely recycled plan).

Your problem is with Jeans lack of struggle, not her competency, so don't bend it that way.

That... wait, if this is about struggle, I'm getting the sense that all of her struggles are being solved by other people. That, or the struggles are actually just really manageable in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, they are being solved by other people. That's the purpose of a team and connections. So, that the leader doesn't have to do it alone. You should know that already.

For the most part, I find a good character struggle to be one where the main character either has to pick between two equally bad options, OR broach methodology that contradicts a core tenet of themselves.

That's not what this book is about. This is a book about settling things peacefully. To stop someone with as little casualties as possible, without having to sacrifice who you are to solve the problems.

No Caption Provided

And Jean has for the most part succeeded in that avenue, but t was far from easy, as Ive already shown above previously.

A physical challenge is also a decent struggle, but it's fairly bread and butter.

Agreed.

Which makes me ask - when has Jean ever had to pick between two bad options, or contradict a core tenet? Jean Grey has been fairly pious as of late, hasn't been wounded, and doesn't seem the least bit conflicted about merging people's minds. Neither does she mind sending Gabby into danger.

In this book? Never. The point is to search for that third option. Jean doesn't have to sacrifice who she is in order to bring peace. That is why everyone kept saying if Jean were here, the Schism wouldn't have happened. That Scott wouldn't have went bad. Jean as a character encourages the best ways to solve things and she encourages others to keep going if they are on the right path. She doesn't believe in becoming something dark to fit what mutants and humanity needs. We already have a Cyclops

No Caption Provided

We already have a Magneto

No Caption Provided

We already have an Emma Frost

No Caption Provided

We already have a Charles Xavier

No Caption Provided

We have many examples of people like this. We don't need anymore.

If you'd like probably the best example, Cyclops tells Oye to 'do what you think is right' when it came to going ham on hellfire club goons who actually won a fight.

I say again,

"We don't need another (insert character here)"

'Xavier was pretty damn perturbed with changing the timeline, broaching his future, or even just wiping someone out of existence with the biggest cock block of the century.

Those are the ones that come to mind...........

Well, I guess we both had the same people in mind when we were going over this. It may seem Mary Sue-ish, but they are far from that. They are just people who really believe in good that they are uncompromising. That is who Xavier was supposed to be before they changed that about him later in his history. Jean has her dark side as well, but she always tries to avoid that path because that's what leads to people becoming these figures seen as villains. Jean wants to be a beacon of heroism, not a martyr to her reputation when they could have avoided it entirely.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

...........Buuuuuuuuuut, I have to consider the namesake of the thread. I had largely meant the 'completely self-sufficient' in the vein of 'does she need emotional support, a relationship, or male companionship', and it was largely no.

Male companionship is a no.

She does need emotional support

No Caption Provided

She does need a relationship, just not a romantic one

No Caption Provided

It occurs to me that I had put 'emotional' struggle. That... probably would have saved me some time. Nova, Rachel and Ahab have scarcely caused her any emotional struggle (compared to a physical struggle or smear campaign) compared to a hotdog.

Jean does have her emotional struggles. She simply doesn't give in. You just need to pay attention really good because Jean would take on the worlds problems before her own, but if you look closely, you see how she feels truly.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

If you listen closely to what she says, you hear when she has moments of regret

No Caption Provided

Imperfection

No Caption Provided

Protectiveness

No Caption Provided

Genuine Terror

No Caption Provided

I'm calling it now, hotdog - best new villain of 2018.

No Caption Provided

@adamtrmm: Teen Jean Grey has been the exact opposite, making a love triangle with Beast pretty early. If you're looking for infidelity, it'd be there.

Then again, Jean Grey is sacred, so I doubt they'd rewrite her purity like that.

You'd be surprised.

No Caption Provided

Jean is a good person. Not a perfect one. I've been over this with Mary Sue claimers. I don't want to go over it a gain.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

I see you picked up on that as well about writers changing Storm's psychic resistance. Storm got mind controlled in IvX too.

Looks like her iron will is starting to slip a little.

Oh yes!!! Thats RIGHT!!

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
@mrnihal said:
@pyrofn said:

@wollfmyth209:

@pyrofn said:

Nothing new here folks.

Really? Someone should tell Scott that while he is fondling the other woman.

No Caption Provided

I am totally sure that will go over well on Jean's side of things too.

No Caption Provided

iamre321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iamre321

@pyrofn said:

@wollfmyth209: She didn’t have children with him and lived happily ever after. She just married him and they cheated on each other with Scott pledging his love to another woman after Jeans death.

Those children are either from alternate realities whom she took in as her children or Nathan. And again, despite all that, they still cheated.

Haha yep...

also 50% of this page is that one long post from pyrofn..

iamre321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

We need a retcon where it's revealed Jean was cheating on Scott with Logan occasionally and maybe even with others too.

Yes I want the Xmen become so ruined the reboot will become inevitable.

Hell no...

iamre321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iamre321

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@jhazzroucher: @ashetdust: @iamre321@mrnihal: @adamtrmm: @gladeusex: @pyrofn: jean and scott will always be the most popular x-couple........they had the most time together in years.......and as per emma words "scott's love for jean grey will never fully close" ......

@koays said:

leave it to a newbie to open on of these scott/jean/logan poll LOL

Lol of course it always happens. Sigh newbies...

Also idk why people arguing about Jean, she's not perfect, but she's close lol. I'd sure as hell marry her in a heartbeat.

Also agree with @gladeusex Emma Frost for the win.

I think its time Emma fans and Jean fans buried the hatchet and came together.

No Caption Provided

If they ever made a title just focused on those two I'd be the first in line.

JeannieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamre321: Jean only just got back, she can't be ready to bury the hatchet coz one of her last memories is the affair. It'll be interesting to see what they have planned for both ladies and how that meeting's gonna go. Jean will of course forgive Emma cuz that is what she does but I want her to be human and throw tantrums.

I don't hate Emma but I just can't like her. I feel Jean was killed all this time and Jean/Scott destroyed just to push Emma to be the top x-woman. Sometimes I felt like writers pushed Emma like a "mature", edgy porno version of Jean, like they were trying to replace Jean with Emma and I could never forgive that.

@hopesummersforthefuture@jhazzroucher: @ashetdust: @adamtrmm: @gladeusex: @pyrofn: Jean acknowledges that she did love Logan-

No Caption Provided

@pyrofn Bravo on the above posts. I 100% agree.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: The wall of text and images is basically impossible to respond to. I want to give you the honest debate you probably want, but there are a whole bunch of inconsistencies in there.

• Tom Taylor trying to make Gabby relevant is not a good sign of anything.
  • Calling the Avengers for help is a good call, but is completely contradictory to it being an 'X-Men' book. An A+X or other dedicated crossover series, sure.
  • Jean not doing it alone runs contradictory to all of the times Jean has done things alone. The Jean vs Rachel fight is proof of it, yet you let that slide - or at least ignore the ramifications.
  • I said barely had an impact - not no impact. I rarely use absolutes, so turning my point into an absolute is pretty bad way to approach what I'm saying. I also said it had potential - though out of the three panels you showed, there's more stoicism than emotional response.
  • Team? Let's be honest - Trinary and Jean do all the heavy lifting. Tom Taylor made an incredibly imbalanced team, and making X-23, Honeybadger, Storm, Gambit, Namor and Gentle relevant is basically a chore. Jean does all the spectacular heavy lifting, while Trinary is essentially as the start and end of the plot points - Tom Taylor's obsession with social media hatred.
  • Did she have to rely on her team? I may not be remembering the issue well, but was there actually any reason Jean didn't do it herself?
  • Is it no different? Scott clearly has far, FAR worse things to deal with. It's even more contrived, but alien symbiotes that can completely disable anyone - has Jean even remotely had to deal with anything affecting her team like that? She had ONE team member (who wasn't even a team-member at that point) taken out of her control, and NO-ONE had to make a tough call. Tough calls mixed with tough circumstances - when done right - provide a great disparity.

Compare it to the Cassandra Nova situation. Jean has way more time to prepare, basically has none of her team compromised, and is effectively fighting only one or two superpowered individuals.

Hell, compare it to any of the other situations in X-Men Red. A mind controlled senator with a gun. One mind controlled hulkling.

The worst part is they could have had Namor actually be impressive and actually be powerful underwater. But nope, four supers against one.

Now they have the X-Men Red team PLUS the Avengers versus a bunch of mundane military forces. At least the Cyclops situation from before actually upped the stakes with supernatural/extraterrestrial weaponry - something that I actually appreciate far more now that Marvel has been pushing mundane weapons as bread and butter of villains.
  • Charle's does a monologue, so I disapprove.
  • The fact that Nova can't tell the difference between a telepathic illusion via Cerebro and the real thing is basically the end fight of the Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi was not great.
  • Jean did not almost lose Rachel. Nova was just being a trash villain.
  • One hulkling who has barely been seen since Superior Iron Man does not make a credible threat.
  • One Sentinel does not make a credible threat. Their unrelenting numbers (which Tom Taylor did correctly in the future scene) make them seem unstoppable.
  • That's one person. WITH AN SMG.
  • See, I don't mind the Ahab and hounds part. That said, you provided an image of Jean Grey soloing a bunch of people, so I don't know what your point is exactly.
  • My problem with Gabby is that she doesn't talk like a kid, an assassin or a legit X-Men member. She's just insanely out of place, and feels like a nepotism inclusion. She may be relevant to Jean Grey, but there's no goddamn reason for it.

If you remember the X-Men Red Annual, Jean reaches out to X-23. I'm 99% sure that Jean Grey and X-23 had never met, yet they're suddenly buddy enough to be part of the team. It's 100% a favoritism continuation on Tom Taylor's part.

If it had been super heroic circumstance, I wouldn't be able to nitpick this. But don't ever imply X-23 and Gabby are relevant for good reasons, because the only reason they are relevant are due to shonky fan fiction writing levels of writing.
  • Woah, I never said anything about competency. That's all you. Don't bend me bro.

I think it's pretty obvious one of my problems is that Jean is TOO competent, just on the onus that her powers let her solve more as an individual character when compared to others.

If you want to make this about competency, go for it, but don't be disingenuous and say that my motive is to go off on a tangent.
  • Teamwork is great, yeah. That said, I feel like a disproportion of the teamwork revolves around Jean, Trinary, and the snikt girls. It's a symptom of putting too many characters on the same team, simply because it dilutes the impact of all the characters.
  • If the book is not about making hard choices, then the book is about making easy choices.

Making easy choices is the realm of bad fan fiction.

I may be going off kilter, so I apologize in advance. Settling things peacefully is a good notion - but it's incredibly boring and banal. Stopping villains with as few casualties is a good notion - but unless that choice came at the cost of something else, it merely happened by default. If you never, EVER have a super hero morally challenged, then you are writing for kids in primary school.

Great stories require some level of difficult decision making, otherwise it gets too close to being mundane.

Obviously you can't go too far over the edge, in which it seems like the writers just punishing characters, like they did with Cyclops, Wolverine and Captain America.

But keeping your characters spotless is uncompelling. A knight in shining armor looks great, but the knights with dents, dirt and scars are the ones who have much more to show and tell.

Credit where credit is due, Trinary getting shot was at least an upheaval. That said, her getting shot through the floor, and it basically not mattering (given the team doesn't actually have a healer) by the next issue is equally lazy.

I suppose it doesn't help that X-23 and Honey Badger are practically unkillable, but that doesn't mean they're invincible either.
  • And I suppose you can have a paragon peacemaker. I have no qualms with Jean being a peacemaker - but I just feel like the situations she's had to deal with are just innately more manageable. It's easier to resolve things peacefully when the stakes are kind of low.

The Cassandra Nova stand off looks like the stakes are at the right place, but still - a mundane fleet of ships against the X-Men, Atlantis and the Avengers?
  • Again, I'm not saying Jean has to be the same CHARACTER, just be given equally tough CHOICES.
  • And again - a team too large dilutes character relationships.
  • Aren't... you the person you said I was reading too much into things?

There's barely any regret.

There's barely and imperfection.

Protectiveness is her primary goal, all around.

Genuine terror is always fleeting.

All in all, there's more platitudes and smug speeches - something you curiously omitted - that give me the sense Jean Grey always feels way more in control and morally superior than any sort of vulnerability.

Sure, she's vulnerable in many of those pages. But it's completely offset anytime Tom Taylor does a goddamn fourth wall breaking monologue.
  • Being perfect isn't the qualifier for being a Mary Sue. I'd start a list, but this is already a black hole.

Besides, the only one who is perfect is Emma Frost.

No Caption Provided
GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamre321: I actually don't mind Jean Grey.

I just have a problem with the way Tom Taylor writes her.

The dialogue in the Jean Grey book between Ghost Jean and Emma is effectively it done right, in my eyes.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeannieh: You may want to notice the 'loved', word. Perhaps it's nuance of them being 'dead', but it could also be perceived as 'no longer love' as well.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeannieh:

Oh I don’t think we want Jean throwing a tantrum. When Jean gets truly angry Dark Phoenix saga stuff tends to happen.

Even though it was actually the Phoenix Force that went DF, it was copying her body, mind, memories and personality to such a degree that even Xavier couldn’t tell the difference. So effectively the PF was Jean and reacted how she would have in the same situation.

Perhaps giving Emma a telekinetic bitchslap would be better.

iamre321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamre321: I actually don't mind Jean Grey.

I just have a problem with the way Tom Taylor writes her.

The dialogue in the Jean Grey book between Ghost Jean and Emma is effectively it done right, in my eyes.

Oh I agree, what I meant in my last statement was that unlike you or I, there are some fans who exclusively hate emma and love jean and vice versa. I'm saying those people need to stop fighting. People like @hopesummersforthefuture who love to bash Emma and say stuff like "I hope Jean gets her revenge on Emma" etc...

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamre321: I’m honestly with you. If marvel ever puts out a team up series between Emma and Jean, I’d buy every comic like 100 times

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers