Which X-men character resonated with you the most and why?

• 66 results
poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

The X-men come from all walks of life and beloved by comic fans around the world. Which X-men character left the biggest impression on you and why?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you know me already, so this is obvious. For me it's Storm.
1. She's a strong compassionate leader who is very striking and exotic.
2. She's a poc who could easily be alternative with a mohawk or a roayl goddess. And for me that meant the world to see that. I always feel like people try to fit me in a box.
3. Her style is edgy and yet very regal.
4. I love how she finds herself in interracial relationships that were very meaningful. I myself have identified with that.
5. I love how one place doesn't define her. She is very worldly.
6. I love her character evolution over the years, I think some of the best X-stories were when she was apart of the team.
7. I relate to her for being the moral compass of the X-men.
8. I come from a home of many strong black women, and I love that kind of strength especially seen in comics, because it's not as common.
9. Like Nightwing, she is adored by the Lgbt community for various reasons.
10. I also grew up on the X-men TAS series, she was my favorite then and still is! <3

No Caption Provided

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BullPR

In the 80s and 90s: Logan. Probably because I was a teenager and wolverine is kind of a perfect fantasy for male teenagers.

In the recent years I really liked Scott and Cable. In their own way they really helped the mutants.

I stopped reading after AvX.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine angry loner willing to make the hard decisions etc

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr: The era really does make or break a character. Because 80s & 90s Logan is VERRYYYY different form 2000 and forward Logan.
I also prefer Cyclops more now than I did in the past too.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: it does also make or break the reader (I was a teen in the 80s).

Just for information: how bad has Logan evolved for you overtime?

The fact that he chose the Avengers in AvX was absurd for me. That he could be a "mentor" for the x-men didn't make any sense etc...

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@poisonfleur: it does also make or break the reader (I was a teen in the 80s).

Just for information: how bad has Logan evolved for you overtime?

The fact that he chose the Avengers in AvX was absurd for me. That he could be a "mentor" for the x-men didn't make any sense etc...

Agreed. I think huge jackman's persona changed Logan a bit too, for better or for worse.

But AvX really made me side-eye Wolverine and Beast. I really feel they turned their backs on the X-men.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the one that 'left the biggest impression' and 'resonates' would probably be two different X-Men. My real jumping in point for comics as a whole the Marvel Cinematic universe. That eventually got me to looking around my local library, where I got a taste of all the trade paperbacks out there. The Ms Marvel (Carol Danvers) trade paperback eventually got me interested in the facebook game 'Marvel Avengers Alliance'. Through that game, I got a better appreciation for the hero roster that Marvel could assemble through that game.

But I digress.

If it's the one that left the greatest impression on me, it would be Emma Frost. That ... probably doesn't come as a surprise. Not the movie version, or the strangely villainous motivated 90s version. Specifically, around the Utopia, AvX and Uncanny parts.

Emma Frost really is just an extremely dynamic and unique character in not only the X-Men, but basically every superhero team Marvel has.

1) She embodies a ruthlessness and practical attitude is a sometimes uncommon perspective in an X-Men book.
2) She's a strong female leader, but also a strong second in command.
3) Her fleshed out backstory - through family, wealth and relationship struggles - show what many X-Men could have been in Xavier hadn't found them.
4) Her urbane wit is a great avenue for the snarkiest jokes and references in comics.
5) She can take a hit. And she's taken a lot of hits. Unlike most female X-Men heroines, Emma has had her nose punched in, been bested by other telepaths, and her arm blown off. It's a rather understated thing, but heroes who take real damage are far more relatable to those who don't.
6) Despite said hits, and a surprisingly lack of gratitude for her efforts, she does remain a hero. Well, when it matters.
7) She gets angry for the right reasons.
8) While her ... 'aesthetic sensuality' is often risque at times, there's an obvious beauty to her clothing choices that cannot be denied.
9) Her time as a Phoenix Avatar showed a great darkness to her. Perhaps, a side of her that she would pursue if she didn't have a strong guiding hand.
10) Her time in IvX, while horribly inconsistent and untrue to her character, can actually be seen in a tragically motivated light. That's probably the kindest thing I can say about that entire event.
11) Emma and Scott really do bring out the best and worst of each other. It's actually hard to think of another stable relationship that has the highs and lows they have, for the duration they had together.
12) This is a little meta, but she was a powerhouse in Marvel Avengers Alliance. Relatively broken, viable, or worthy of countering in terms of PVP, and noteworthy in PVE.

If it's the one that resonates the most however, that would actually have to be Adult Cyclops. Also not the 90s version. The adult movie version had a great rise and fall, even if it was typically cheesy in terms of hero movies. Again though, Utopia, AvX and Uncanny parts.

1) People may knock him for being a boyscout, but that's one of the most iconic hero mentalities. Also makes him easy to translate to a younger audience.
2) Also, the fall from boyscout into something more hardened has always been a great character development arc. To have pre-concieved notions of good intentions, but for reality and circumstance to erode them away over time.
3) Then you add in the leadership dynamic. Not only did he once aim for noble results, but he has other people's wellbeings on his shoulders.
4) Laser beams, man. The drawback of monotone sight is notable, but having a power with a downside, and one so inherently linked to a sense, is great.
5) He got to the crux of what mutants should strive for - "We protect our own". There's a nice shade of grey their, and Cyclops' shift to the medium position between Magneto and Xavier is a great one.
6) He's got no real physical protection. No real maneuverability. His power is offensive, and only offensive. Wolverine can rely on healing factor, Colossus on osmium steel, Angel on enhanced wings, Iceman on an ice body, Cannonball on a blast field.
7) Making the hard decisions. And at times, letting others make their own decisions. Didn't really hold true for Hope Summers though, so I guess it depends on the stakes.
8) Failing. Feeling like you haven't done enough. Or that what you doesn't matter. Still following a dream, but not being blind to hypocrisy.
9) Being split between two loves.
10) Touching the Phoenix Force in more ways than one. Having it bring back someone you love, take them away, and even being one of its Avatars.
11) Absolute power corrupts absolutely, though.
12) ...And he's dead. Like all iconic characters - especially X-Men - they have to be mortal.

Yeah, I suppose my two favourites are two of the most iconic X-Men, all things considered. Havok, Polaris, Magneto and Psylocke are also worthy of consideration, but nowhere near as influential as Scott or Emma.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

Cyclops. I find myself connecting with that character because I saw a lot of me in that character. Growing up in the not greatest of conditions, being an introvert, idealist and a very straight laced boy scout kid and teenager. I had my anger and stuff but I never let that define me, instead helped and carried the pain of my friends and such so they didn’t have to. As I got older and into college, the confidence grew and I wasn’t that boyscout anymore. I realized I couldn’t keep that up and still gain any momentum in my life. I still uphold the beliefs and kindness taught to me at a young age and the willingness to help people, but I did get more confident and at times cocky, I am stalwart in my goals and only a few people will ever see anything from me otherwise.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Koays  Online

Idk about fully resonating but I have a few who are close.

Cyclops post Morrison sits with me especially as he goes through Decimation and the Utopia era. He's clearly been broken as a character and had all his personal connections strained to the limit but he puts on a game face when it's time to work because the lives of everyone like him is in his hands. And even then after everything he's been through hes willing to sacrifice his image as a hero because the lives of people he's saving are more important then how he's seen.

Magneto- every time I read testament or see his daughter die in the fire I instantly understand the trauma that made the character who he was. He's wrong to do what he does, but he doesn't have a choice but to be that way because of how he's been forged by his life. He's as much a victim of the world as humans are victims of him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For me it's several characters.

Cyclops for the reason of him going from being a loner then idealistic boyscout following what ever orders are given to finally questioning everything and becoming somewhat of a rebel finding his own path yet still misunderstood. He internalizes trauma yet soldiers on but at times comes off as losing his humanity.

Wolverine- comfortable being a loner but also willing to make the hard choices and do things that others may not do.

Magneto has the greatest backstory and hits hard in just how monstrous humankind can really be but also that a victim can easily become the thing that he hates.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decimation era Cyclops. Probably comics' best character development ever. Step by step.

Yes, Mags' origin too. Right from the moment his powers subconsciously save only himself from the mass shooting of his family to the moment where he proclaims "I, ubermensch. I, mutant. I... Magneto."and the dream dies and the nightmare is born.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jean grey for personal reasons and for public reasons..........she is a kind-hearted, warm, loving person with a quiet class and elegance ........also she can be a bit of a bada$$ too LOL also goes "above and beyond" for her fellow mutants and humans alike.....see the beginning of phoenix saga(where jean pilots the spaceship back to earth)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HAWK2916
MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterOfEvil
No Caption Provided

Say what you will about him, but Magneto will grit his teeth and fight regardless of how bad the odds are. And a lot of the time, despite his methods, his motivations are usually right.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: did you say "pubic" reasons?? Not really right? Lol

lol meant public ........i "fixed" the mistake above lol

spellcheck didnt get that o.0.......cause it is a word but not the right word i wanted to use lmao

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PyroFN

Jean Grey is first on this list.

She all around has the qualities that makes someone a truly good person.For some reason, That seems boring to some, which makes no sense because when people meet those kinds like Jean, they are admired for who they are. Jean takes on the world in all aspects moreso than most X-Men could say. While Scott acts like he does and takes care of the hard stuff with mutants, Jean does this on a more personal level and doesn’t act so much like it. She still has problems and faults of her own, but like any other person, she leaves that all at home. It’s about others first and foremost with her, willing to listen and help with a passion. That what makes her strong, not a Mary Sue because it doesn’t always work in her favor or solve every problem, even with her massive psychic abilities.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma Frost is next for me.

Polar opposite to Jean, Emma is in it for herself and those she values. She is every bit of ambitious as any entrepreneur is, but is in no way a role model. Yet, she still has striking qualities beyond looks and money, being calculating enough for opponents to watch for her when they cross her, having a poker face attitude so as to keep her plans secret, and then knowing where her limits are and stashing them away behind locked steel doors. No enemy treads lightly around Emma and Emma’s students learn to respect her and become the grown adults that she envisions them to be all while wearing what makes her look good enough to keep all eyes on her. (That is until Jean walks in the room. :P)

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine. Despite his hard childhood and exceptionally hard life, losing all those people he loved, he kept going. He kept fighting. He know he's imperfect but he keep's going.

No Caption Provided

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honorable mentions:

•Stepford Cuckoos: Five sisters with psychic abilities who talk and look exactly alike? Mini Emma’s? Who wouldn’t do a double take into a full on stare?

•Hope Summers: Jean being dead at the time with Hope appearing when mutants were near extinct and having Jeans features? She could’ve been a break out Star had they handled her better.

•Polaris: Green haired female Magneto? Nuff’ said.

•X-23: She reminds me of a blend of Black Widow and Wolverine. Though I feel she doesn’t need to be called Wolverine to take on his legacy, she at the very least deserves that title more than any of the other clones in my opinion if I had to be honest about the choices we got.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hopesummersforthefuture: Sorry, I was just wondering where that first Jean/Scott scan is from. I've seen it a few times and I'm not sure.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Wolverine or Cable

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magneto, TBH I'd probably do the exact same in his possition

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mystique.

No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: how can u be pro jean but not support jott????? makes me think ur really team emma......and the facts are no one can replace scott in jean heart........if jean finds someone new, they will not be first in her heart......nobody wants to be second choice even logan..........plus there will always be a threat of scott coming back.........jean ruined maddie for scott so

No Caption Provided

@njchrispatrick: one of my favorite comics .........jean made emma pay for her "i have no rival......jean's been dead for years" speech

No Caption Provided

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@njchrispatrick: love the pic of jean and scott i the photo

No Caption Provided

bahh hahahahahahah i laugh at the statement "have u come to ruin my life again" i wanted emma and scott to marry then have jean come back alive and scott be like to emma "see ya" @pyrofn XD :P XD

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Well, congratulations. You kinda make me hate Jean Grey now.

Also contemplated picking up that comic, but ... not so much anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I’m pro jean but I don’t support jott. But it’s because I think Jean deserves better than to be with a guy who cheated on her.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: That was really bad on her part, but it doesn’t excuse Cyclops from having a psychic affair.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: That was never an excuse.They both cheated.Stop bringing just cyclops for ruining their marriage.Stop bringing up "jean deserves better" line.Jean was no saint.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GladeusEx

@mrnihal: @elpendejo: I think this is a bit off-topic, at this point.

That said, Scott and Jean really do just have a lot of options within the X-Men.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: Yeah, they both cheated and I do blame them both for their marriage, but I do blame cyclops more since he basically caused his marriage to fail. But Jean did heat so the blame also falls on her. But in my opinion, with cyclops’ history with women, I think most women deserve better than him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladeusex: That is true, I’m just hoping they don’t force Jean into a relationship so quickly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: Most,not jean.And it's mostly jean's fault.Jean's wasn't the one who bonded with pure evil,apocalypse.Rather than working on their marriage,she was seducing logan to sleep with her.It was interesting & "mature" of logan to just steal the kiss but rejecting to sleep with her.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

@elpendejo: Most,not jean.And it's mostly jean's fault.Jean's wasn't the one who bonded with pure evil,apocalypse.Rather than working on their marriage,she was seducing logan to sleep with her.It was interesting & "mature" of logan to just steal the kiss but rejecting to sleep with her.

it doesnt make sense.......logan tried to get her in bed for yrs and the one opportunity shows up .......he of all people rejects her????? if it was warren, or beast or fantomex or whoever, they woud have jumped(lol) at the chance LOL

but i blame scott 80% to jean's 20%...........jean asked scott if he slept with emma in hong kong and he sad no she kept me up all night......as in all night long with psychic affair .......scott mentioned a few times it not real its just thoughts???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Scott is not a telepath,the perception is different for him.As long as i know he never had psychic "sex" with jean.So he didn't know what it actually meant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Scott is not a telepath,the perception is different for him.As long as i know he never had psychic "sex" with jean.So he didn't know what it actually meant.

well emma was always persuading scott for "alone time" in there heads.........they kissed and u were meant to believe they had sex in there shared minds cause comics dont actually show the sex part lol

scott told emma in the garden "we cant go on like this" and emma just brushed it off saying "the guilt is in ur head" "we arent doing anything wrong......WE ARE JUST SHARING A DELICIOUS THOUGHT TOGETHER"

finally something we both agree on :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: How can I not support Jott and be pro Jean? Simple. Women empowerment. I may not be an SJW or even a feminist in the casual sense, but Jean at the very least can stand on her own two feet without the need to run to Scott.

If this were any other character other than Scott who did all that Scott did to Jean, I would guarantee you would say “dump that b****”. Like it or not, Jean needs her time and should be free to do whatever she wants with whoever she wants. She no longer holds obligation to Scott after his cheating, his moving on, and his death. She is a free woman.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Well That Issue is your Jott moment. It’s over now, though. Scott is now dead. It’s Jeans turn to be her own woman and apparently, everyone agrees she needs to define who she is before even considering any relationship.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladeusex: Don’t hate Jean. Hate Jott. If not to spite how the relationship developed by Morrison, to spite @hopesummersforthefuture for trying to use t as a weapon, even though it only ends up shooting itself in the foot for forcing itself to the front based on nostalgia.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: She did stopped kissing Logan. In fact, multiple times she put a stop to him and when she was weak, he put a stop to it because he finally got the message from her multiple rejections. Jean stopped. Scott did not.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: And Jean bonded with a Force of Nature that has taken over her life directly and indirectly. Nice try on the Apocalypse excuse, but that is on Scott fo not opening up to Jean, not Jean.

She didn’t seduce Logan in the slightest. She opened up to Logan about the problems in their marriage. Defend Scott all you’d like, but that doesn’t change the fact that he made his choice against her. She didn’t, she stuck by their relationship, end of story.

Unless you want to tell me that Logan really didn’t want to sleep with Jean and his history of telling Scott not to hurt Jean and constantly trying to talk to him about their marital problems was all a way to not sleep with the woman he had been in love with since the second iteration of the team, further supported in Whedons run when he was angered by Scott moving on with Emma.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: well i read on other message boards that mark editor of x-men, is pro jott :P

and if PR 5 is based on how scott and jean is going looks like they will get back together more then scemma(with hopefully emma going to jail forever, if she stays a bad guy lol)

and back to IvX ........scott would never agree with emma about going to war with the inhumans........he would have talk to them first ......medusa didnt know the T-mist was killing mutants and even after emma blew up inhumans........medusa still destroyed the cloud cause she said "not even one mutant death is worth the T-mist cloud" :P XD

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Well That Issue is your Jott moment. It’s over now, though. Scott is now dead. It’s Jeans turn to be her own woman and apparently, everyone agrees she needs to define who she is before even considering any relationship.

sorry but the facts are u cannot have scott without jean and vice versa.........marvel doesnt let there iconic couples go.......even MJ is back in peter's orbit

dont get me wrong emma and scott had their moments yet still didnt go forward with there relationship........even having namor tell emma "he doesnt respect u if he did he would have married u like he did the redhead" .........they didnt have any kids show up in 616 present thank god........marvel had there chance but took the short way out and had emma cheat on scott and break up for like ever after that .......to one point emma actually wanted to get back together on UXM 600 and scott *shocker* said no

not to mention turning emma back to a villain and might or may not get a redemption

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@gladeusex: Don’t hate Jean. Hate Jott. If not to spite how the relationship developed by Morrison, to spite @hopesummersforthefuture: for trying to use t as a weapon, even though it only ends up shooting itself in the foot for forcing itself to the front based on nostalgia.

Well, on those panels alone, I don't know whether to blame the writer or Jean. White Crown Phoenix could have gone straight to Scott and tell him to avert a disastrous future, but Jean had to remove everyone he cared about beforehand. Why?

And if the Phoenix can willingly remove people from existence, why not remove the villains that would threaten the world (and presumably the few buildings in her vision) instead of resetting the past?

Though it's all a moot point, given how the Phoenix Five didn't fair much better over time.

I don't really have qualms with Scott or his relationships. He's had his time, happiness and purpose. For better or worse. If I had to sum it up, though, any romance subplot where Emma gets noticeably destroyed due to any Scott or Jean romance does not sit well with me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Nice try.PF was not pure evil.It wanted to help jean,it did help jean.But apocalypse....no,that's true evil.

Yeah,opening up about your marriage problem to that one guy who's constantly trying to sleep with you is a great idea,it's not about trying to get him to sleep with her all.Jean has much better person to open upto,storm. But she didn't.