• 102 results
Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which is better x-men or avengers? (51 votes)

Avengers 33%
X-men 80%

your thoughts

• 
Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tohoma

Don't you think your going to get biased results posting this poll on the X-men board?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Which avengers team ?

Which X-Men team ?

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be in general discussion or the Marvel board...

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X men. The people on the Avengers annoy me for some reason. The only ones I like are Thor and Spider-Man.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

better at what?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never really found the Avengers particularly interesting. They have just always seemed like the "Justice League Lite" to me.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never really found the Avengers particularly interesting. They have just always seemed like the "Justice League Lite" to me.

This.

Draksis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me both. I like Cyclops as much as I like Thor

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

X-men.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

better at what?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now? Avengers. Hickman's flagships > Uncanny, Amazing and Adjective-less.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oldnightcrawler said:

better at what?

Breakdancing??

No Caption Provided

Well the X-men apparently study dancing as part of their curriculum..

Cap', Spidey', and Black Widow would probably give them a run for their money, but I think the X-men would still take this one.

ooh, unless the Avengers had Mockingbird?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If based on comics...I'm sorry Claremont X-men is legendary and masterpiece meanwhile Avengers don't have any legendary comics run

Even: Fantastic Four by Lee/Kirby , Spider-man by Lee/Ditko and JLA by Grant Morrison/Howard Porter is way more great comics run

But in movie universe...no doubt answer is Avengers

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@adamtrmm: If based on comics...I'm sorry Claremont X-men is legendary and masterpiece meanwhile Avengers don't have any legendary comics run

Even: Fantastic Four by Lee/Kirby , Spider-man by Lee/Ditko and JLA by Grant Morrison/Howard Porter is way more great comics run

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle

@oldnightcrawler: Eh, taking dance classes doesn't necessarily equate one with being able to break dance. I imagine Luke Cage would have some skills being raised in parts of NYC during the late 70s, early 80s..... :D

@adamtrmm: If based on comics...I'm sorry Claremont X-men is legendary and masterpiece meanwhile Avengers don't have any legendary comics run

While the runs are not as lengthy as some of the ones you mentioned, they indeed have had popular runs from Kurt Busiek, Roy Thomas and Roger Stern

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EC2277

@cattlebattle said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

better at what?

Breakdancing??

No Caption Provided

Well the X-men apparently study dancing as part of their curriculum..

Cap', Spidey', and Black Widow would probably give them a run for their money, but I think the X-men would still take this one.

ooh, unless the Avengers had Mockingbird?

Thank you, now I understand this poll. :-D

Viperians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-MEN

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draksis said:

you are the man!

@betony said:

X men. The people on the Avengers annoy me for some reason. The only ones I like are Thor and Spider-Man.

TRUTH! except spidey is no avenger. Marvel just shoved him in their to boost avenger popularity, like they did with wolverine. LAME.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on three things for me. Who's writing, who's drawing and what the rosters are.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Moonlighterstone

I like them both. They are popular despite how the various x-authors and writers have been so unfairly cruel to the XM.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question:

The polls are getting a little weird, has anyone actually looked at the percentage? 100% for x-men and 23% for avengers... what?

PurePleazure4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dman1366 said:

Question:

The polls are getting a little weird, has anyone actually looked at the percentage? 100% for x-men and 23% for avengers... what?

lol

I did. I just voted for the Avengers and now is in 29% and XM 100%

I think that's cheating lol

Avatar image for themasterofmagnetism
TheMasterofMagnetism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this is hard for me to say, but I really love them both. I guess I will go with the X-M and Avengers will be my sec.

Wow! X-M went up to 100%

COOL!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get rekt Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I like the X-Men more because they're more relatable, but the Avengers are pretty cool, too--just not quite as relatable.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If based on comics...I'm sorry Claremont X-men is legendary and masterpiece meanwhile Avengers don't have any legendary comics run

I wasn't talking about overall runs, only about the CURRENT ones. Hickman's New/Avengers are far superior (of course not beyond criticism) to Bendis' Uncanny, Aaron's Amazing (K/Y said they will continue with his tone for the book) and whatever Ajective-less is today.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@adamtrmm said:

I wasn't talking about overall runs, only about the CURRENT ones. Hickman's New/Avengers are far superior (of course not beyond criticism) to Bendis' Uncanny, Aaron's Amazing (K/Y said they will continue with his tone for the book) and whatever Ajective-less is today.

disagree.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

disagree.

Really?

I've only picked up New Avengers infrequently, but i'm inclined to agree that Hickman's got Bendis firmly beat currently. Maybe its just the all star cast blending together particularly well that for me is appealing, but if Bendis' Uncanny run up till now was a 8/10 then Hickman's is 9/10 just because of the comparison.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

every team in Marvel has an honorary avenger in it , this poll is futile :p

Avatar image for super_trunks555
Super_Trunks555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draksis said:

So, could you name for me an individual Cyclops villain??

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

Avengers. Forget those dirty muties.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

Really?

I've only picked up New Avengers infrequently, but i'm inclined to agree that Hickman's got Bendis firmly beat currently. Maybe its just the all star cast blending together particularly well that for me is appealing, but if Bendis' Uncanny run up till now was a 8/10 then Hickman's is 9/10 just because of the comparison.

For me, Uncanny X-Men is much better. Out of the first 27 issues, there were only 3 that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

Avengers I read the first 13 issues of and didn't enjoy any of them. New Avengers kept me interested for more than 20 issues, but in the end I dropped it for much the same reason: the plot was slow and it didn't do what I read Avengers books for.

For me the whole appeal of the Avengers as a concept is seeing how all of the characters interact; at it's core, Avengers should be like the ultimate team-up book, making each character more interesting and distinct based on how they interact with the others. Hickman's Avengers had a huge cast of a bunch of my favorite characters, so I wanted to like it, but after 13 issues he still hadn't done anything with any of them to really make them distinct or interesting -he had a huge cast of characters I love and still couldn't make me care about any of them. New Avengers had more good character moments, but still not nearly enough to keep me interested in his long-form plot.

Uncanny X-men, while being criticized of being too slow, still had interesting and entertaining character moments and plot developments in virtually every issue. Bendis created a bunch of characters I had no reason to care about and made me like them. While the star characters in his book have received less attention, the interactions between all of the characters still make the story compelling and fun to read.

Hickman couldn't interest me with a huge roster of some of my favorite characters, and Bendis made me actually like Dazzler and Goldballs.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, Uncanny X-Men is much better. Out of the first 27 issues, there were only 3 that I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

Avengers I read the first 13 issues of and didn't enjoy any of them. New Avengers kept me interested for more than 20 issues, but in the end I dropped it for much the same reason: the plot was slow and it didn't do what I read Avengers books for.

For me the whole appeal of the Avengers as a concept is seeing how all of the characters interact; at it's core, Avengers should be like the ultimate team-up book, making each character more interesting and distinct based on how they interact with the others. Hickman's Avengers had a huge cast of a bunch of my favorite characters, so I wanted to like it, but after 13 issues he still hadn't done anything with any of them to really make them distinct or interesting -he had a huge cast of characters I love and still couldn't make me care about any of them. New Avengers had more good character moments, but still not nearly enough to keep me interested in his long-form plot.

Uncanny X-men, while being criticized of being too slow, still had interesting and entertaining character moments and plot developments in virtually every issue. Bendis created a bunch of characters I had no reason to care about and made me like them. While the star characters in his book have received less attention, the interactions between all of the characters still make the story compelling and fun to read.

Hickman couldn't interest me with a huge roster of some of my favorite characters, and Bendis made me actually like Dazzler and Goldballs.

Well i'm with you on the Avengers run. I found it hard to get past the sheer number of cast members in some of the bigger events in the last year. And honestly as someone who's not big on the Avengers, for me to see (for lack of better example) a Utopia sized Avengers roster isn't even appealing on a fanservice level.

In my perspective though, New Avengers did just what you say the Avengers concept should be about. I went into it because i kept hearing they were up to something big but i was hesitant to sit through Black Panther and Beast (as an Avenger) who I have low feelings on and Reed Richards who i have no feelings on whatsoever. But coming into it I was pulled in by the interactions between them and the feel that the Marvel universe was (irony) converging in this book through these characters.

Bendis for me has done a great job on plotting character developments out (aside from Dark Beast) in Uncanny X-Men. The attention he's given to the newer characters i believe are going to be important a year...or even a few months down the line when the book heats up again. But even if this is all set up I found it to be slow, and at times even dreary to look back on when summing up 2 years of publication with little pay off. While Hickman's style seems to be similar in pacing i think it at least distracts from the slow build alot better. Another thing is that while we know worlds are converging the same way we know the revolution is coming, the converging is never forgotten while the cast of Uncanny doesn't even seem concerned with it most days.

It's just harder to follow it.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Really?

I disagree, what Bendis did was take the current fan favorites (ie Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Kitty) and made them seem infallible, which of coarse made fans of those characters happy. While at the same time, s#@!ing all over characters/continuity he, personally, does not like or agree with.

I enjoy Hickman for the fact that he keeps continuity, even though he may hate it (ie Xavier dying), and character personalities realistic; while keeping the idea of pseudo-physics somewhat manageable.

Bendis writes the entire staff of JGS like a bunch of cry baby toddlers, which is frustrating. He also has no concept of space, time, or numerical logic. The only characters he develops are the characters he likes, and it is all too painfully obvious.

I don't really know about his pacing since I don't have any of his books, but I also hear that is much worse than New Avengers atm.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@koays said:

In my perspective though, New Avengers did just what you say the Avengers concept should be about. I went into it because i kept hearing they were up to something big but i was hesitant to sit through Black Panther and Beast (as an Avenger) who I have low feelings on and Reed Richards who i have no feelings on whatsoever. But coming into it I was pulled in by the interactions between them and the feel that the Marvel universe was (irony) converging in this book through these characters.

yeah, I can see that; New Avengers was definitely had more good character moments of the two. And, like you say, it did feel like the characters were really coming from disparate corners of the MU, showing a side of the world we don't often see. I just felt like two many issues would pass where we wouldn't see any of the main cast interact much, or in any kind of entertaining way (or just sitting around passively watching other worlds be destroyed without saying or doing anything entertaining), and for me that made it lose it's appeal.

Bendis for me has done a great job on plotting character developments out (aside from Dark Beast) in Uncanny X-Men. The attention he's given to the newer characters i believe are going to be important a year...or even a few months down the line when the book heats up again. But even if this is all set up I found it to be slow, and at times even dreary to look back on when summing up 2 years of publication with little pay off. While Hickman's style seems to be similar in pacing i think it at least distracts from the slow build alot better. Another thing is that while we know worlds are converging the same way we know the revolution is coming, the converging is never forgotten while the cast of Uncanny doesn't even seem concerned with it most days.

It's just harder to follow it.

yeah, Dark Beast was pretty random.. (strangely, though, I somehow saw it coming, despite the fact that made no sense to the character)..

The thing with the whole revolution premise, to me, is that it's kind of the 3rd most important theme of the book. As sort of the main X-men book, it makes sense to me that the main themes should be:

1. what it means to be a mutant (in this case, that they are outlaws), and
  2. that they are a school (which I think he's balanced to great effect).

the revolution aspect may be a slower going plot point with everything else that's going on, but that doesn't really bother me because what it is doing is still the kind of stuff I like about X-men and then some. The outlaw thing may overshadow the revolution thing, but they're both just a distinct twist on top of the main themes anyway.

With the Avengers, I read it for really only one theme: to see characters from different parts of the MU interact in interesting and entertaining ways. Yeah, the conceit is that they have to band together to save the world or whatever, but that's not what makes them special or interesting.

To use Bendis as another example, his New Avengers was more like what i read Avengers for. I don't care if they spent most of their time fighting ninjas and hardly any time actually saving the world, because the reason I was reading it was to see Spider-man and Luke Cage joke around with Captain America, or whatever. Yeah, cool plots and threats are better than doing nothing, but what I read Avengers for especially is seeing great character interactions.

Hickman may be doing the most epic plots in the history of the Avengers for all I know, but if he's not doing solid character interactions between the star cast, it's not really doing what I read Avengers books for in the first place. I'll concede that his New Avengers was certainly the better of the two in this regard, but for me neither of them has been as compelling or entertaining as Bendis' Uncanny'.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree, what Bendis did was take the current fan favorites (ie Cyclops, Emma, Magneto, Magik, Kitty) and made them seem infallible, which of coarse made fans of those characters happy. While at the same time, s#@!ing all over characters/continuity he, personally, does not like or agree with.

Bendis writes the entire staff of JGS like a bunch of cry baby toddlers, which is frustrating. He also has no concept of space, time, or numerical logic. The only characters he develops are the characters he likes, and it is all too painfully obvious.

I'm not even gonna say he doesn't do all that stuff, maybe he does, I haven't noticed.

Maybe it's because there's lots of different versions of the X-men, and I think you could apply many of those same criticism to any of them, but mostly it's because I don't care about any of that stuff if the stories are entertaining, and to me, most of his Uncanny' run has been.

I don't read comics to better understand the big picture continuity or history of a fantasy world, though that can be interesting; I read comics because they are fun. If a story's compelling and fun, I'm just not bothered by continuity; and if the characters seem incongruous with other appearances, that certainly doesn't make them any less like real people in my experience. Heck, sometimes how incongruous they are is the most entertaining part.

If the story a writer wants to do is incongruous with what another writer has done, I have no problem with them having that artistic licence. Continuity has it's uses, but I think that for every story opportunity it offers, it limits several more. I want all the stories to be the best they can be, so I see no good reason to put so many strict limitations on the creators.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

disagree.

I have around what 17+ plot twists and actual plot that is going forward to support my statement over Uncanny.

A very funny thing to say when you're actually supporting Uncanny. :p

Really? Because I've found none. Bendis did good for Magneto, with a solo and general portrayal (though the ultimate judgement is upon us Y-E-T---A-G-A-I-N only with the next issue). And that's the only positive thing I can say about two years of his run. Hickman though? The deconstruction of Avengers is just too lovely of a concept, so I won't bother to point out all other flaws, just for now.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

disagree.

I have around what 17+ plot twists and actual plot that is going forward to support my statement over Uncanny.

oh, okay. you win, then; I now agree with you.

:v

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, Dark Beast was pretty random.. (strangely, though, I somehow saw it coming, despite the fact that made no sense to the character)..

The thing with the whole revolution premise, to me, is that it's kind of the 3rd most important theme of the book. As sort of the main X-men book, it makes sense to me that the main themes should be:

1. what it means to be a mutant (in this case, that they are outlaws), and
  2. that they are a school (which I think he's balanced to great effect).

the revolution aspect may be a slower going plot point with everything else that's going on, but that doesn't really bother me because what it is doing is still the kind of stuff I like about X-men and then some. The outlaw thing may overshadow the revolution thing, but they're both just a distinct twist on top of the main themes anyway.

With the Avengers, I read it for really only one theme: to see characters from different parts of the MU interact in interesting and entertaining ways. Yeah, the conceit is that they have to band together to save the world or whatever, but that's not what makes them special or interesting.

To use Bendis as another example, his New Avengers was more like what i read Avengers for. I don't care if they spent most of their time fighting ninjas and hardly any time actually saving the world, because the reason I was reading it was to see Spider-man and Luke Cage joke around with Captain America, or whatever. Yeah, cool plots and threats are better than doing nothing, but what I read Avengers for especially is seeing great character interactions.

Hickman may be doing the most epic plots in the history of the Avengers for all I know, but if he's not doing solid character interactions between the star cast, it's not really doing what I read Avengers books for in the first place. I'll concede that his New Avengers was certainly the better of the two in this regard, but for me neither of them has been as compelling or entertaining as Bendis' Uncanny'.

Lol If you called Dark Beast you must have an inside track with Bendis, cause Mojo or Arcade couldve been more likely....

But yea definitely fair points on Uncanny. And perhaps if we hadn't been so heavily sold on the revolution before the book even started, then this wouldn't be as big a gripe about the book. They've just put so much attention to the idea that i don't see it as a surprise that myself, and a lot of others sometimes overlook the better story elements while searching for hints of the Revolution that was promised so long ago. I enjoy the book, and am really starting to enjoy the interactions between the Uncanny group and JGS when their both handled with respect....but two years just seems like a long time to lean on some of these unexpected good and enjoyable elements without commenting on the reason i picked up the book. Whereas Hickman's New Avengers handles a similarly drawn out background plot a little better.

I think I can sort of relate to your point as an X-Men fan who picked up Justice League of America expecting a similar feel to another team book. Moreso because when i read about a superhero team, i expect certain things from them in terms of their interactions and the JLA at times felt less like a team and more like a group. It's the almost the difference between having friends and coworkers on a job in the portrayals.
So i guess can sort of see why the Avengers going from an approach which began with them cohabiting in a mansion to them basically being cogs in the machine would be less appealing if thats what you mean.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh, okay. you win, then; I now agree with you.

:v

Sarcasm aside, when something lasts two years and still has no valid and well-defined plot, it does become a legit criticism.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darthphoenix

why is this in the x-men forums? haha

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

Sarcasm aside, when something lasts two years and still has no valid and well-defined plot, it does become a legit criticism.

I don't know what you're talking about..

are you saying Uncanny' has an undefined plot?

or that you've been reading it for two years and can't validate why?

also, I don't understand what validates a plot

these are legitimate questions..

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm@oldnightcrawler In the first time I agreed with Adamtrmm, but now I think the Cyclops' revolution is enough well defined: Cyclops want start a war to take a land for the mutant and make them a nation.

Shebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like X men, but I also like Avengers.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

are you saying Uncanny' has an undefined plot?

"The Revolution" is really more than well-defined I guess. Can you help me please with explaining what exactly this revolution is?

or that you've been reading it for two years and can't validate why?

I know "why", it's another question I keep asking myself - "how?" ;)

also, I don't understand what validates a plot

The mission? The statement? The very "why" this comic needs its place and more so, what makes it so prominent that it dictates the franchise's course.

@ec2277 said:

In the first time I agreed with Adamtrmm, but now I think the Cyclops' revolution is enough well defined: Cyclops want start a war to take a land for the mutant and make them a nation.

And did he state that exactly?

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: He doesn't explicitly states it, but in my opinion his conversation with Malloy in UXM 28 and the acts of the reunited X-Men in "Avengers & X-Men: Axis" 5 and 6 are speech and act of a man and a team what want start a war.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ec2277:

His personality is inverted in Axis, it's not the real Cyclops basically.

As for Uncanny, I wouldn't say he seemed too radical, he just says he had enough which is pretty reasonable looking at the way mutants are treated. Just because he calls Mathew brother doesn't make him a radical.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EC2277

@adamtrmm: Yes, you are right about Axis.
About Uncanny X-Men 28 I made a mistake writing: «Cyclops want start a war», but to explain my thought, I have to reread that book and now I can't.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be in general discussion or the Marvel board...