What would you want in a new X-Men animated series?

• 50 results
TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The X-Men animated series, in particular in '92 animated series, have been hugely influential. Many of the people on this forum and even many current X-Men writers and artists were introduced to the X-Men through an animated series.

Each of the series took inspiration from different things:

- The '92 series was hugely influenced by Jim Lee's X-Men, with the main lineup being the X-Men Blue team with Psylocke swapped for the more family friendly Jean and Storm. It also adapted a number of classic storylines from the comics.

- Evolution took inspiration from the original X-Men comics by making many of the characters teenagers who are learning to control their powers. It also took some inspiration from the films.

- Wolverine and the X-Men took inspiration from the Astonishing X-Men, in particular with the inclusion of Emma Frost on the team. It also made Wolverine team leader and front and centre at the expense of Cyclops and Storm, much like the films.

It's been over 7 years since the last proper X-Men animated series. A new series is well overdue to help introduce the next generation to the X-Men.

What would you like a new X-Men animated series to take inspiration from? (Outback era, Utopia era etc.) and what storylines would you like to see adapted?

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The theme song carried over from the old.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok: The intros for all of the series have been good, but I assume you are referring to X-Men TAS '92?

It is good, but it is quite 90s (although not as much as Spider-Man TAS). I wouldn't mind a reworked version of the intro music.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

A continuation of Evolution. A Phoenix Saga where Jean doesn't die, kinda like the one in the 90's X-MEN TAS. In fact, I'd avoid the Phoenix Saga all together and focus on telling stories that haven't been adapted and retold over and over again.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasterOfEvil

Episode 1 - M-day

The rest beautifully writes itself until AVX (hopefully reworked so it makes sense)

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Episode 1 - M-day

The rest beautifully writes itself until AVX (hopefully reworked so it makes sense)

Instead of AvX, more like Humans vs Mutants All Out War. Xavier and Magneto join forces to defend the X-Men, Brotherhood and Mutantkind from the genocide of Humans. It wouldn't turn out like Days of Future Past, it would be a war between two species.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: That could be very interesting. It would be very different to the series we have.

Would you keep the cause of M Day as a mystery to most characters?

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wolverine and the X-Men seemed kind of cool. I only watched a few episodes from the series, but I liked how they used a comic accurate aesthetic(unlike Evolution) and had good animation(unlike TAS). So something like like that, but being more of a X-Men cartoon than a Wolverine cartoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

quality

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron: Everyone would know what it is. WHERE it is would be the question.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterofevil: Okay. So there would be people looking for Wanda and people protecting Wanda. Mutants dealing with the loss of their powers. People like Beast looking for a fix for the "no more mutants" problem. Some normal humans looking to capitalise on the instability by attacking mutants and other normal humans looking to protect the remaining few mutants. Sounds good.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see an animated series about this team:

No Caption Provided

Which over a season or two evolves into this team:

No Caption Provided

The story would take place right after the Dark Phoenix saga, and like in the comics Kitty would be the POV character for the viewer. Outside of comic readers, most people don't know why Kitty is considered such an interesting and important character. This show would give the opportunity to show why Kitty is great.

Storm would be the new team leader. Storm has been shortchanged in all of the animated series to date, so this would be a perfect opportunity for her to shine.

Colossus would be a core member of the team, which he hasn't been in any of the animated series. He would be teamed up with the other three amigos Nightcrawler and Wolverine, and their friendship would be given time to develop.

The show would even be set in the 80s so the fashion choices would make some kind of sense. The Disco Dazzler could make appearances, and Kitty's constantly changing wardrobe would be part of her story.

It would adapt some of the classic X-Men stories from that era; Days of Future Past, Demon, I Magneto, Chutes & Ladders, The Brood Saga, Prof X is a Jerk!, Dancin' in the Dark, To Have and Have Not, From the Ashes, He'll Never Make Me Cry, LifeDeath and The Trial of Magneto.

Using this lineup would even fit in with the current direction of the comics with X-Men: Gold.

Thoughts?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nice ideas. I think going from the Outback era with Storm as leader would be fine. I might even go back to X-men ghost right before Mutant Massacre and tell those stories and then keep going from there. We do need an animated series and Fox should go ahead and throw it on for like an hour on Sunday's or something like that

GeekMangacomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I say they take inspiration from the 70s era of X-Men.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron: I like that idea. I started to write something similar early, but didn't because I was feeling lazy and thought it felt more like wishful thinking. Honestly, not since Spider-Man: The Animated Series from the 90s have we had a show that stuck so tightly to it's source material, and even that took a large share of liberties, mainly due to the censors from the time period. Still, there are a lot of good ideas there. More often than not, people seem to only take inspiration from the Claremont/Byrne run and ignore a lot of Claremont's other work. Starting at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga is a good spot. Can even start with a more accurate translation of Days of Future Past that uses Kitty.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The story would take place right after the Dark Phoenix saga, and like in the comics Kitty would be the POV character for the viewer. Outside of comic readers, most people don't know why Kitty is considered such an interesting and important character. This show would give the opportunity to show why Kitty is great.

Storm would be the new team leader. Storm has been shortchanged in all of the animated series to date, so this would be a perfect opportunity for her to shine.

Colossus would be a core member of the team, which he hasn't been in any of the animated series. He would be teamed up with the other three amigos Nightcrawler and Wolverine, and their friendship would be given time to develop.

The show would even be set in the 80s so the fashion choices would make some kind of sense. The Disco Dazzler could make appearances, and Kitty's constantly changing wardrobe would be part of her story.

It would adapt some of the classic X-Men stories from that era; Days of Future Past, Demon, I Magneto, Chutes & Ladders, The Brood Saga, Prof X is a Jerk!, Dancin' in the Dark, To Have and Have Not, From the Ashes, He'll Never Make Me Cry, LifeDeath and The Trial of Magneto.

Using this lineup would even fit in with the current direction of the comics with X-Men: Gold.

Thoughts?

Best idea ever!!!

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Thoughts?

Hmmm interesting. I'd watch it!

This isn't my favorite lineup or era (Mohawk Storm is my least favorite Storm and I have never been into the punk scene) - but it has not been explored that much (ever). I think this would be more interesting than the same lineup we've seen over and over again except in different series.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Concept of the original X-Factor suiting up as the X-Terminators, but in reality rescuing the very mutants they hunt.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a mature/R rated X-Force?

No Caption Provided

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be fine with anything, so long as Jean and Phoenix are present. I add the Phoenix because I like it when they make over-the-top animations for it, like when the Phoenix raptor surrounds Jean, when she goes full DBZ on her foes (like in TAS against Gladiator twice and the X-Men), or when she unleashes a powerful psychic wave like the one WatX.

@jonez_: You mean TV-MA?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Base it on Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-men run with elements from Claremont's work and Morrison's New X-Men run.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: It was ridiculous that they had costumes and identities as mutant-hunting humans (X-Factor) and as human-hating mutants (X-Terminators), both of which look suspiciously like the O5 X-Men.

Would you want the O5 lineup or a new team?

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron: New team.

Bishop, Psylocke, Rogue, Colossus & Nightcrawler

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Super_ninja

Do Uncanny X-men.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TristanHeron

@acer515: They are making a live action show which will have Thunderbird, Polaris and Blink among other characters.

http://www.cbr.com/x-men-tv-series-classic-mutant/

To do a live action X-Men TV show with the big name characters would require a huge budget, which I don't think any studio would commit to. I would prefer to see an X-Factor Investigations live action TV show.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/x-men-155/create-an-x-factor-investigations-tv-show-1864390/

Psyrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly wish they would continue xmen evolution, especially since it seemed like they had a well thought out plan that would extend for like 2-3 more seasons. Prof X's vision at the end showed sooo much potential.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_ said:

How about a mature/R rated X-Force?

No Caption Provided

I was thinking something in this vein as well:

No Caption Provided

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer515: It's not CSI, it's detective noir. With your Rorschach avatar I would think you would be into that.

PsychicHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seasons based on Astonishing X-Men or New X-Men, two of my favorite arcs on the X-Men. It'll also get Emma Frost in the spotlight and hopefully they'd do something about her stupid death off screen and not to mention her horrible portrayal in first class.

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott and Logan yelling "Jean" less.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PyroFN

@ashetdust: And Jean and Emma yelling, "Scott" more. :P

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I'm equal opportunity. If Cyclops wants to play damsel in distress and have Jean and Emma yell his name every time he tries to use his power and fails, I'm all for it.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashetdust: And maybe in a big battle against Apocalypse, we will see him trip over literally nothing like a clutz.......now I'm both feeling humored and salty at the same time.

Ibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tristanheron:

The cast of X-Men Evolution all over again. That was such a good show. No Spyke though. He was lame.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psyrix and @Ibe: I'm liking the love for Evolution but I don't think a revival is possible at this stage. They would more likely revive Wolverine and the X-Men for season 2 instead.

I wouldn't mind a second season of Wolverine and the X-Men, but I hate how much that show nerfed Cyclops and Storm to make Wolverine the leader.

Avatar image for lord_adamantium
Lord_Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lord_Adamantium

Top tier art/animation.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I havent read all the replies so maybe this has been said, but honestly a Version from Utopia would be cool kind of like that really bad video game they gave us (which i got a plat trophy for <.<) X men Destiny i think it was, with Cyclops as the leader instead of Prof X and where they could easily cycle characters in and out and make some sense. A more Modern take on the characters, so that new readers come in knowing what they are getting and not like "wait what you mean Cyclops is with emma" or whatever. Thing it it seems like the comics are using the 05 to revert to older standards so idk but yea im done rambling now

SourWolf97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SourWolf97

This. With a new story line behind them, these six would be PERFECTION.

No Caption Provided

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43  Edited By McKlayn

Actually if i picked just one team I would go Crazy and Pick Mike Carey's Super last X men team that never got much use (and add a few i think)

Rogue, Cannonball, Gambit, Frenzy, Rachel and Iceman

Use a different story ish have them working as a rescue team of sorts under the schools guidance, with like Cyclops as an Over seer kind of Utopia like have guest stars like storm and wolverine from time to time

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see an animated show with the new x-men story crossed with xtreme x-men then do mday to decimation then open xfactor investigations separate show. Idk if live action of xfactor could work.

Camilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main thing I would want would be a comic accurate art design, like the 90's cartoons. The 2000's Marvel cartoons would too often use a child friendly art design. I would also to see it take itself seriously.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-force series would be cool.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

This new show OKK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes! has an intro that kinda reminds me of the x-men for some reason.

Loading Video...

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Super_ninja

Psylocke

Bishop

Blink

Monet

Gambit

Darwin

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compelling storylines with well developed characters and ideas. Also, comic accuracy.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers