What are you favorite X-Men artists of all time?

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

^

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've always loved Jae Lee's work. Clay Mann is great too.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mann is a great artist but I have less affinity for his Carey's run. He has had better in DC.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Lee is a classic.

One of my guilty pleasure artists is Greg Land. Yes I know he traces like crazy, but it ends up looking decent and from what I can tell he’s quick.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vishop_

@ashetdust:

Well, there was a time for every x-fan once in a while who have similar thoughts about Land :p

Lee is probably one of my favorite x-artists. Kudos to him :D

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Different artists for different reasons. Cassaday obviously. Del’Otto when he’s done some of his stuff is hands down amazing. I’ll give a nod to Mike Choi for Target X. I’m gonna be an odd man out but I never really cared for Lee’s designs. I’m not saying I don’t like Jim Lee, I love his DC stuff, but I find his X-Men just very overrated. Again, it’s not bad, just not my cup of tea.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vishop_

Eh, the guy who literally invented detail form of comic book art and is followed by generations of artists is overrated? Nah :p

Though Arthur Adams is known for being a pioneer of that style. Still, his style isn't really delineated IMO.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 god_spawn  Moderator

@vishop_: I didn’t say he himself was overrated, I said I found his X-Men stuff overrated and gave credit to what I do like from him. I know I’m in a minority with that opinion, though, and I won’t disregard they’ve basically become the most iconic looks for them. I’ll say I ended up liking Larroca’s take on some of the classic costumes better than Lee’s, tbh.

On topic, also forgot to mention Silvestri is a top 5 for me and Granov has drawn some of my favorite X-Men covers.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vishop_

@god_spawn: Silvestri's art kinda degraded in New X-Men or Messiah Complex. It looks kinda dull but I guess it happened mostly due to colorist. Granov is great cover artist but unfortunately, his interior art isn't really near his cover art.

@adamtrmm Thoughts?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

@vishop_: I disagree, I think Silvestri has had some of the best modern art the X-Men have done. The more “dull” take fit Messiah Complex and Second Coming.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vishop_

@god_spawn said:

@vishop_: I disagree, I think Silvestri has had some of the best modern art the X-Men have done. The more “dull” take fit Messiah Complex and Second Coming.

The various tones or cast shadows that he uses in human anatomy are bit overexaggerated or in other words, it looks more look darker or dull. I don't blame him to a certain extent tbf.

It's something similar to his Witchblade run as well. His Uncanny run was awesomely aesthetic.

I guess I am in the minority like you have for Jim Lee :p

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bachalo, Lee, Byrne, Silvestri, JRJR/Smith, Kuberts, Barry Windsor Smith Cockrum, Adams, Sinkewiecz (New Mutants technically, whatever), Coipel.

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vishop_

@cattlebattle said:

Bachalo, Lee, Byrne, Silvestri, JRJR/Smith, Kuberts, Barry Windsor Smith Cockrum, Adams, Sinkewiecz (New Mutants technically, whatever), Coipel.

You and I have kind of a similar list tbh.

What do you think about John Bolton btw?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

You and I have kind of a similar list tbh.

Yeah, I don't really remember Bolton, he did "X-men Classic", right?? That's the problem with naming favorite artists and writers for X-Men, there has been so many throughout the years because of the franchises size and longevity. There are artists who I love that did like 1 or 2 bonus issues that I guess don't really count, but, I guess they do.

For instance, while Simonson never worked on X-Men proper, he did X-Factor and the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover, so I don't know if he counts, then while Micheal Golden never worked on the actual X-men series, he did Marvel Fanfare issues that featured the X-men, so, he did draw the X-Men but was never really an "X-Men artist". Rick Leonardi was an artist from the 80s who I liked but he never had a sustained run and just drew random issues of both X-men and New Mutants I wish he would have had a solid New Mutants run. And Mike Mignola never really worked on X-men but he did a Wolverine Graphic Novel that featured Apocalypse so.....I don't know

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vishop_

@cattlebattle:

Well, then I would have mentioned "mainstream" X-Men artists rather than just X-Men artists? I have quite a large list of names but I am passing to those which are my favorites.

And Mike Mignola never really worked on X-men but he did a Wolverine Graphic Novel that featured Apocalypse so.....I don't know

Name of the GN?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: It's called like "Wolverine's Jungle Adventure" or something like that. Seriously.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimenez is always a favorite of mine for their New X-Men art.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:

His X-Men work is pretty good, but do take a look at his other works, e.g. Marada the She-Wolf, Shame, Someplace Strange, etc., where unlike his X-Men works, he does the coloring (actually painting would be more precise).

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, Jimenez was probably the best artist in New X-Men. His Jean was actually perfect if u ask me. I also like the casual phoenix t-shirt he did for her.

@vishop_ said:

His X-Men work is pretty good, but do take a look at his other works, e.g. Marada the She-Wolf, Shame, Someplace Strange, etc., where unlike his X-Men works, he does the coloring (actually painting would be more precise).

You mean like Chris Bachalo?

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Invain

@cattlebattle said:

@vishop_: It's called like "Wolverine's Jungle Adventure" or something like that. Seriously.

Mignola also did an issue of New Mutants, and X-Force during the Liefeld era. The X-Force issue had Liefeld on the first and last pages, and Mignola doing the majority of the issue. I remember the huge contrast in style between Rob and Mike coming off as awkward.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain: Yeah Mignola did some covers too. I remember the best Alpha Flight covers outside of Byrne were his in the 80s.

No Caption Provided
McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

the one and Only

No Caption Provided

Chris Bachalo

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts