What are some underrated stories or runs?

iamre321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

I know everyone knows and talks about runs like Claremont and Byrne, or Jim Lee's, or Morrisons, or Whedon and Cassady's. But are there any runs with great art and / or writing that doesn't get as much love? Like a good artist/writer combo?

For me I liked "Ghost Boxes" by Ellis and Bianchi, I also really liked "Monstrous" by Way and Pearson, such a fun simple story with art that works very well with it.

@ursaber@hopesummersforthefuture@koays@pyrofn@cattlebattle@mcflicky@payneintheass

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Koays

I mean....Gillen, Carey, Kyle and Yost, Lobdell for the most part, Brubaker.

Current stuff has a problem with VERY stylized artist for books like Cable, X-Factor and even X-Men.....I will say whenever they switch to the HoX artist the book looks amazing and seems 10 times better.

Hellions has NO business being as good as it is and I like the art alot....

Excalibur probably has the best art....but I have no idea what is going on in the story so I just look at the pretty pictures.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Underrated in general or underrated by comic readers?

When people talk about 00s X-Men, you usually only hear about the first half of the decade with Whedon and Morrison, but I thought the second half of the 00s with Brubaker, Carry, and Peter David was better than the first half of the decade.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first pick tends to be Bunn when thinking of underrated writers. It’s not that he is talked bad about. More that he isn’t talked enough about. His Uncanny run is really good and his Blue fun was real good.

My god, I will also never shut up about Jean’s solo. It ain’t pure bias either. I always say that once you get past the millennial teen speak, you get an incredibly good story.

Hellions currently in Dawn of X is surprisingly good, despite the very niche picks for its cast. It is a hidden gem that I hope keeps up its pace because it feels rather perfect for a book whose main stars consist of only Havok, Psylocke, and a bunch D-List characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd9371ae7062
deactivated-5fd9371ae7062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Excalibur probably has the best art....but I have no idea what is going on in the story so I just look at the pretty pictures

No Caption Provided

I just found this funny and true at the same time

Avatar image for obscureobsidian
ObscureObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@koaysExcalibur is worth reading just because of Alan Davis' art. He's one of the best artists that has ever worked for Marvel and I feel he doesn't get enough respect and fanfare.

@invain Yes!!! The only reason Peter David is not talked about more I think it's because he wrote a spin-off book, Investigations X-Factor, instead of a main X-Men book.

Mike Carey had some pretty good stories, especially in regards to writing Iceman and Mystique's toxic relationship. Matt Rosenberg's Uncanny X-Men run is really polarizing, but for me is the best Bleak X-Men you can find in the main continuity, and not in the sense of a low bar, but being genuinely good. Just beware of all the deaths. Simon Suprrier's X-Men Legacy stars Legion and is basically a 90s Vertigo comic disguised as a Marvel comic, and I love it. On the polar opposite we had X-Men 92, really good example of how to write a light-hearted X-Men title. Geoff Johns' Morlocks mini-series is probably the most underrated and overlooked title, my biggest complaint is its lenght, only four issues. Talking about 90s X-Men, the few issues Joe Kelly wrote back then are really worth checking out. Nunzio DeFilippis and Christine Weir's New Mutants suffered for not having a lot of good artists working on it and being overshadowed by both its predecessor and Morrison's New X-Men, but it's still a recomended read if you want to read about mutant teenagers in high school. Brian K. Vaughn's Mystique is probably the best solo series with a X-Men character that I had read, followed by Marjorie Liu's X-23 and James Asmus' Gambit, and Greg Pak's X-Treme X-Men is a better Exiles title than most Exiles' runs after Judd Winnick left. Talking about Marjorie Liu, her Astonishing X-Factor run is also worth reading. It's the run where Northstar got married and Liu is one of the few writers I've seen that they bother to exploit Karma's potential. Neal Adams and Dennis O' Neil's run back in the 60s doesn't have anything to envy Claremont's run. My biggest complaint would be that it doesn't has any of the Giant Size X-Men cast or the Claremont's cast, because Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine or Rogue they could have worked really well. Also anything starring Magneto and penned by Cullen Bunn or starring Rogue and Gambit and penned by Kelly Thompson.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

x-men gold..........(kitty's team) hahahahahah ha ha ha

...............I win

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for obscureobsidian
ObscureObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@koays Sorry my bad. If you wanna prevent future misunderstandings, one thing I do myself is calling the current run Tini Howard's Excalibur, instead of just Excalibur.

And yes Marcus To's art is pretty amazing, but I already knew that back when he was working in DC Comics.