Was Jeff Lemire a better X-Men writer than Brian Micheal Bendis?

Suicidio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Suicidio

Poll Was Jeff Lemire a better X-Men writer than Brian Micheal Bendis? (24 votes)

Yes Lemire was bettter 29%
No Bendis was better 25%
They were equally horrible 46%

Bendis wrote All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men during the Marvel NOW run. Lemire wrote Extraordnary X-Men and Old Man Logan during the All New, All Different Marvel run. Which one had the better X-books?

• 
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll take

Easy ways to get shot on the X-boards for 500?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I will take both are trash writer for 800.

Seriously, neither of their runs actually amounted to anything. I hold more of a grudge against Lemire though for his lack of using Teen Jean.

If it’s one thing Bendis could be credited for, it’s that he brings interesting ideas. Needless to say, he never remembers continuity and his ideas always flop when performed, never really sticking the landing, save for some striking examples.

Lemire, on the otherhand, Just has boring stories despite having a unique roster in Extraordinary and weird relationships in his run. Bendis and he are garbage.

Anything to add @hawk2196. I know how much you loathed the past decade of X-Men that had Bendis and Lemire involved.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol let's be real...what did Lemire actually do during his run?

Bendis' All New is something I'll never forgive do to crossovers and the abandonment of its premise even before we get down to the absolute sh*t quality of his writing in it. But his Uncanny at least was filled with suspense and plot threads that we would still love to see answers too.

Lemire was bored writing with no point and by issue 6 it has no idea what to do with itself while it waited a year for IvX. Bendis can at least claim that the first arc of his run with the exception of the backlash from the O5 staying was a great story. Lemire can say he had storm talk to herself, cut off Nightcrawlers tail and dropped the school in limbo but no one cared and no one ever will.

Puny_Banner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Man Logan was actually a good series. Extraordnary and both Bendis books were crap.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Both were garbage

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bendis' Uncanny had a few moments in it, but all of Bendis' plots had disappointing conclusions. All New feel apart after BoTA, but Bendis was writing the O5 out out of character from the start.

I never finished Extraordinary due to not caring about the IvX bullshit. Old Man Logan was interesting for the first two or three story arcs, and then became boring.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

I hate to say this......

OH god I cant believe Ima Say this.....

BUT Bendis > Lemire

Hear me out! The foundation for Bendis book (uncanny not all new) was actually interesting, the Revolution had be intrigued from the start. Now Albiet it was garbage in the end, anti climatic and a total waste of time not to mention the silly 05 Debacle

Lemire on the other hand was "hey lets do the decimation over again" and yea only he did it alot worst, say what you want about Fraction but his whole Utopia era kicked whatever you called Lemire's school in hell era in the ass

David_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

I hate to say this......

BUT Bendis > Lemire

No Caption Provided

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@mcklayn said:

I hate to say this......

BUT Bendis > Lemire

No Caption Provided

exactly

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Exaclty. Agreed. The only reason I see Bendis at the same level as Lemire though has more to do with how much of a letdown his run came out in the end. It was kind of like empty promises or broken promises. Either way, I agree with your sentiments.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: which is completely fair. But I can go back and read Bendis Uncanny and not be angry until I get to the end. Lemire gets to the first issue of apocalypse wars and I just wanna throw it out the window. It's just not good.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PyroFN

@koays: In all honesty, Lemire has an interesting concept in the different worlds, but it was just boring in execution. And his Apocalypse was disappointingly feeble. Then his Horsemen Death Colossus has nothing interesting about him, no upgrade or anything like the other Horsemens. Lemire just didn’t have anything to show in his run or had any idea of how to go about it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I've admitted in other places that lemire is gifted. But as far as his X-Men run it was ruined by the premise before it even started. The fact that it was boring an uneventful is an after thought to the fact that we can all pretend that every X-book from that era can be ignored without a loss to the quality of the books. He's a placeholder writer which to me personally is worse then a writer who's direction I just don't agree with.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle

Hmmmm....

I feel like you could have attached a pen to an oscillating fan and set it to paper and it would have produced better stuff than either of these two.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImNotBendis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma: Truer words have never been spoken than this:

@mcklayn said:

Bendis > Lemire

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ehh... Bendis is a troll who can't provide conclusion and has all his characters sound the same. Lemire just shoved Inhuman propaganda down our throats.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Bendis was great before.

Lemire continues to make good stories.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lemire outdid Bendis, I must say.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: If he is a placeholder writer, then I’d surmise that he had no passion in the arc, did he? That could explain his boring and generic plot lines.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Both were just...wtf...but Bendis's X-Men run was at least interesting elements.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lemire is better

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I remember this thread. Still agree with @koays as much now as I did then.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bendis ruined Cyclops so he is worse.

PhoenixEgg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lemire was instructed to push Inhumans.

Arguing that as his fault is silly.

Extraordinary was ok as a story. Bendis' books were nonsense throughout with goofy sensationalist stuff ever so often to keep people talking about it.

"Hurr hurr Xavier married Mystique!"

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#27 god_spawn  Moderator

Lemire’s Extraordinary run was absolute trash. Bad ideas. Boring character interactions. Subpar artwork. Constant Cyclops bashing for no reason. Throw in the Inhuman agenda and it was one of the worst runs. Bendis actually made some decent characters, had ideas, his Cyclops was actually pretty good. His Girls Night Out issue was good. Emma training Jean was cool. I really liked his Magneto issue. I’ll agree Bendis’ run didn’t amount to much. Him making Bobby gay was terrible. His handling of X-23 was a joke. But as far as his run went, I actually enjoyed some of it. He good artists with Kris Anka, Bachalo, and Immonen to really help. The only thing good to come out of Lemire’s run was Colossus’ beard. With that said, his OML was badass.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I respect Jeff Lemire a lot as a writer and I am a big fan of his work usually, but his quick X-Men run was horrible. The concepts he touched upon were boring and just plain terrible and for some reason even when he had Humberto Ramos working with him, it didn't help him out.

Bendis may have been bad as well, but there were a few redeeming points about his run.