#1 Edited by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

So I'm assuming everyone has gone to their local shop and got the new uncanny issue?

#3 Posted by AsheTDust (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

No tangents or off topic debates? Where’s the fun in that?

Scrubby sponges, do they cause cancer? Let’s chat!

#4 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, X-Men Black Emma Frost pretty much nuked my interest for X-Men.

I'll... read it, I guess. I'm just not looking forward to an even larger team of X-Men when they dropped the ball on the previous team and solo books - the majority of them, at least.

#5 Posted by Koays (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with it.

Issue 1 is a 3/5 for me. It was good, but it didn't do much except establish that there is a mystery. Honestly if they wanted to hype us up they couldve tied anybody else up next to Kitty instead.

Right now it just looks like more of the same kind of "X-Men have no idea what's happening" type of writing that Phoenix Ressurection had, so hopefully the X-men get more involved in resolving the plot then they did there, where the book dam near resolved its self without the X-men doing anything to effect the plot. Its one issue though so it's just a nitpick

#6 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

The first issue should be great because a lot of comic fans buy the first issue

#7 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately,that's not the case with this.

#8 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:
@jhazzroucher said:

Unfortunately,that's not the case with this.

Indeed, unfortunately.

Well, I didn't expect it to be great at all, after seeing Beast on the preview pages. lol : )

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#9 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9371 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, X-Men Black Emma Frost pretty much nuked my interest for X-Men.

I'll... read it, I guess. I'm just not looking forward to an even larger team of X-Men when they dropped the ball on the previous team and solo books - the majority of them, at least.

are we really that shock emma went back to the "hellfire" club??? she was more evil then good anyways .....no lost there

as kitty said when the cuckoos left to join scott's Xavier school(anxm10 or 11) "no lost there" LOL XD XP

#10 Edited by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: Before IvX I would’ve been, after however, I’m not surprised at all. I would be surprised if she didn’t use the hellfire club to help mutant kind in her own ways however.

#11 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: It's more than that one plot point. I'm completely fine with Emma 'returning' to the Hellfire Club, but the execution was beyond mediocre.

1. Despite being a solo villain book, the story hinged somewhat heavily on making the other X-Men somewhat relevant.
  2. The story starts with an exposition dump, and basically ends with an exposition dump.
  3. The art... is far more than an acquired taste. Bachalo has his moments, but the art is all over the place, making Emma thicc, childish, elfish and uncharismatically unimposing in places. I thought I was fine with it in Uncanny X-Men, back when Cyclops was a thing, but his return to form was jarring.
  4. While Emma's mean streak of telepathy was empowering, it also made zero sense. If she's taking over the place, why would she cause a fuckton of psychological, collateral and presumably lethal damage? The twist belies the setup.
  5. Why does she even need to force her way to the top in such a manner? Emma has always been conniving and could have easily done this from the backseat of Cerebro or an equivalent. The final confrontation is confusing and - for months of planning - makes me sigh.
  6. Black King =/= Black Queen. The only reason I can think of for why they made and emphasized this distinction makes me hate the writer.

Those are the main factors, but when it comes down to it, those are all of the factors that bring down most comic books.

Alas, back on topic, I'll configure my thoughts on Uncanny X-men #1 in a short bit.

#12 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna have to give this 4/10. This is basically a very selective continuation of X-Men Gold and X-Men Red, and unfortunately it's more of the bad than the good for me.

++ The art is good.
+ The stakes and plot momentum is also good.
+ The only character I like in this is Polaris.
~ The mutant liberation front are a complete joke.
- Story spends way too much time establishing way too many characters.
- The art degrades when the you look more carefully at the poses.
-- The story is completely dependent on Madrox never explaining why he's doing what he's doing.
-- Story spends so much time on specific characters at the expense of others.
-- Why you no give me more Polaris.
--- ....... Ffs, this going to be a Jean Grey, Psylocke and Kitty Pryde book, isn't it.

#13 Edited by PyroFN (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: 1) Disagree. Not to say there aren’t some good panels, but that’s just Mahmud for you. Some hit, some miss. My opinion of when he worked on Red was more or less different because they used more color to show Jeans powers. Loved to see all the pink. In Uncanny, it’s too subdued, which gives more attention to the art. (Normally a good thing, but again, this Mahmud)

2) Objectively, they are, which is why me feeling so detached and uninterested is weird for me.There is objectively no reason for me to say the plot is bad, but there is something missing and I think @koays hit it on the nail and when he said the problem was that they chose only Kitty to demonstrate that something big is happening.

3) Agreed. Luckily they aren’t gonna be the focus and even the writer used Jubilee to make comment of that character archetype used in the X-Men.

4) Agreed. The irony of it is, about 70% of the cast is all Multiple Man.

In all seriousness though, yeah, there is a definite lack of focus that once more comes from too many characters the writer is trying to juggle. I’m sure everyone would be fine if they simply spread out the x-characters throughout this event in the coming issues, rather than trying to fit them all in one issue.

5) Probably the most irritating part of it. I think this would’ve been one of those times where I wish they went with something a little more complicated, like Multple Man holding something back purposefully rather than being completely hysterical. It makes him entirely untrustworthy that would’ve given the audience no reason to believe him had we not already seen Jeans vision, known Kitty was involved and yet nowhere to be found, and had the Multple Mans and he Senator not been teleported away.

6) This one, I kinda disagree. It’s in this weird area where the first story tries to include too many characters and the second batch of stories focus too much on a singular character.

7) That’s more of a good thing if you want more of the Polaris that they are characterizing. Lol!

8) I have no idea. It’s entirly possible and I would be fine with that if they were written well enough. Jean was incompetent this issue and Kitty did nothing. Psylocke was the best of everyone in the comic with Storm coming in second for her on-panel time with Jean in the second half.

#14 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

i enjoyed it, i mean honestly 25 X men listed and idk 17 of them would prolly be on my top 25 list so i love the large cast and those chosen (but why glob why) Apoc is always kind of a miss for me, most his stories are meh at best but hey maybe Im excited

quick question, did I miss the end of extermination? or is it just not out yet

#15 Edited by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashetdust said:

No tangents or off topic debates? Where’s the fun in that?

Scrubby sponges, do they cause cancer? Let’s chat!

Lol that was mostly for the people who like to debate relationships, hate on characters, talk endlessly about 1 character, etc...

#16 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: I have to agree for the most part with what you said about X-men Black Emma Frost. Mostly the "Black King" title and the art I didn't like (not a huge fan of that artist, sadly he gets a lot of X-men work). I hope they upon the topic later though. She needs more screen time.

As for Uncanny, give it a chance its only the first issue, art is pretty good, story is intriguing, has potential.

Also just wanna say I'm really loving the art for X-men Red and Extermination.

#17 Edited by JeannieH (180 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: It's more than that one plot point. I'm completely fine with Emma 'returning' to the Hellfire Club, but the execution was beyond mediocre.

1. Despite being a solo villain book, the story hinged somewhat heavily on making the other X-Men somewhat relevant.
  2. The story starts with an exposition dump, and basically ends with an exposition dump.
  3. The art... is far more than an acquired taste. Bachalo has his moments, but the art is all over the place, making Emma thicc, childish, elfish and uncharismatically unimposing in places. I thought I was fine with it in Uncanny X-Men, back when Cyclops was a thing, but his return to form was jarring.
  4. While Emma's mean streak of telepathy was empowering, it also made zero sense. If she's taking over the place, why would she cause a fuckton of psychological, collateral and presumably lethal damage? The twist belies the setup.
  5. Why does she even need to force her way to the top in such a manner? Emma has always been conniving and could have easily done this from the backseat of Cerebro or an equivalent. The final confrontation is confusing and - for months of planning - makes me sigh.
  6. Black King =/= Black Queen. The only reason I can think of for why they made and emphasized this distinction makes me hate the writer.

Those are the main factors, but when it comes down to it, those are all of the factors that bring down most comic books.

Alas, back on topic, I'll configure my thoughts on Uncanny X-men #1 in a short bit.

I really like the way you gather your thoughts and make your points so organically. It is so convincing that even without reading the comic I wanna agree with you. I have felt that I write first and think later. One of my weaknesses.

Am I the only one that likes Teen Jean? I feel like she was really cool and had a spunk to her. I will be sad to see her go after extermination is over.

#18 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I agree, I liked Resurrection but really only the final chapter was worth reading, hope its not like that with this one.

#19 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn: Oddly enough, I agree with everything you said.

That means I've probably been abducted by aliens.

@iamre321: The Black King title and the art are the really salient problems, yeah.

As for putting Emma Frost in everything, that comes at the cost of having multiple people writing her in conflicting directions, and rarely has her recent art been good. I think the strangest part is that all of her 2018 appearances make me miss IvX, Secret Empire and the Teen Jean Grey Solo, which I seemed to only hate for highly selective plot decisions.

.......... Okay, I've definitely been abducted by aliens.

@jeannieh: Hah. At this rate, I should review comic books as a job.

Anyhow, my style of writing typically is punchy, concise and to the point - something I picked up from high school and university. Anything longer, and it works less well with human attention span. (Though I will write a thesis if @pyrofn throws a Jean Grey at me via catapult.)

As for Teen Jean... that's a whole other thread in the making. Simply put:

+ She was a good plot point to spark cooperation and rivalry in the X-Men teams of Cyclops and Wolverine.
+ She was an opportunity to bring classic X-Men story and training progression back. Her Jean Grey solo series was a good series of mentorship opportunities.
~ They emphasized her way beyond Cyclops (who at least showed up in Champions), and Beast/Iceman/Angel (who only really showed up in Team Books)
~ Her outfit was hit or miss - possibly because it was designed to be cosplayable
- She was completely overpowered, especially in comparison to the rest of the 05. This made her the team's main problem solver, and devalued the rest of the team.
- Her psionic energy form only seemed to be used when the plot demanded it.
- Her personality is ... what exactly? Frustrated? Idealistic? Mindful?
-- Most people think she turned Bobby gay. Either way, no-one likes a snitch.
-- She clearly didn't need mentorship opportunities, because she can cheese any villain or group of mooks she needs to.
--- She frequently upstaged everyone - especially Emma Frost. Obviously this is me being an Emma Frost fanboy but Teen Jean Grey was never defined or challenged to make difficult decisions - mostly because her villains were all solved by fighting, and Telekinesis is the 'Great Eagles' of the X-Men - it really does solve all problems.

Alright, got that salt out of my system. Have a nice day peeps.

#20 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeannieh: I liked teen Jean, well mostly Bendis’ Jeen. His Jeen reminded me of Morrison’s Jean, which was my favorite rendition of Jean. After IvX I didn’t really like her.

#21 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: Are you talking about Emma’s battle with Jeen in Blue? Yeah that was really asinine, even if Tyke helped her somehow.

#22 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@elpendejo: It started during Uncanny X-Men where Emma incited a psychic fight against Teen Jean.

But the more well known one is the Secret Empire tie in one, yeah.

#23 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: Emma’s powers were kinda broken and virtually unusable until the Matthew Malloy arc, so I don’t think we should use bendis’ all new x men against her that much. Besides the secret empire thing was because of teen Scott. Don’t ask me how though. I think @pyrofn could explain it better.

#24 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@elpendejo: True, but why would Emma try to incite a fight against Teen Jean if she knew her own powers were broken?

On the other hand, Emma did boop Teen Jean's powers off at some point, because she was working on fixing her own telepathy with the Cuckoos - so it's possible she was fully capable of a telepathic fight.

Why Bendis was so hellbent on making Teen Jean win that fight - let alone every fight - is the problem for me.

I know the Secret Empire part. Cyclops gets captured, mentally reconditioned, then fights the plucky 05-1. Not only did that push Emma even further down the pecking order, but it all goes without a hitch for Teen Jean, as usual.

Making one hero look 'better' at the expense of another is not great in my book.

#25 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: Well I'm not saying put her in everything, though I certainly wouldn't mind. I mean I want what I talked about in my other post. Her own solo series written by someone who knows her character well and drawn by a good artist. Her trying to build up her HF club and Jean trying to build up X-men Red and them sometimes clashing would be pretty great.

#26 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamre321: If they manage to make her have actual workable objectives, an actual urbane wit, and actually threaten the heroes if they clash, I would be for it.

Unfortunately, X-Men writers nowadays can't do the three. They're too focused on shallow villains, dreary monologues, and coddling their new female heroes instead of putting them into real harm.

If they made an Emma Frost build up an advanced Hellfire Club army to protect, shelter and fund mutants, I'd be all for that. If they gave her short, snappy and witty dialogue, holy shit, I'm in love. If Emma actually wins as the villain and she actually causes a positive change that makes the 'heroes' doubt their own methods, my wallet is getting thrown.

I don't trust writers at Marvel to play such a long game, let alone backhand their personal heroes. The Mothervine arc had this potential, but it whiffed at the end.

#27 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: I don’t know, why would emma have an affair with a man who’s wife put her in a coma? Just reread the issue, Jeen whooped Emma with her pink form. As for Emma’s powers. I don’t know. The issue states they’re still broken, but I don’t know by how much.

#28 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@elpendejo: I can't speak for any real notion of womanly affection, but my best guess is that Emma is constantly defined by men in positions of leadership. One might even say its her 'fatal flaw', alongside with her motiff of flawed perfection.

I think Emma spent a fair bit of time trying to wear down one of her former enemies - using a bit of doubt, seduction, and self improvement. The end result - while dubious of intentions when you consider her outreach as a counselor of sorts - makes the yin yang coupling of the two at odds, yet an oddly symbiotic combination.

Teen Jean Grey beats Emma Frost simply as an outlet for the writer to make Teen Jean seem more impressive.

Ah well, if the issue says they're still broken, then it's just another day of Emma Frost being written in an abominably counter-intuitive manner. Thanks Marvel.

But errr.... we're not supposed to go on tangents. Though I suppose that's all me.

#29 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: Well my intended answer was when it comes to Jean grey, emma does what she wants, but that works too.

#30 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

Too bad,emma isn't in uncanny.

#31 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-men #11 & #12

After the devastating events of “X-Men Disassembled,” it falls to Cyclops to rebuild the X-Men in the face of overwhelming hatred. Thankfully, he’s not the only X-Man to have just returned from oblivion. Scott and Logan are together again, and they are mutantkind’s only hope. Writer Matthew Rosenberg and returning superstar X-Artist Salvador Larroca lead the X-Men into their darkest hour…and beyond!

No Caption Provided

#32 Posted by marvelfan1992 (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:

Uncanny X-men #11 & #12

After the devastating events of “X-Men Disassembled,” it falls to Cyclops to rebuild the X-Men in the face of overwhelming hatred. Thankfully, he’s not the only X-Man to have just returned from oblivion. Scott and Logan are together again, and they are mutantkind’s only hope. Writer Matthew Rosenberg and returning superstar X-Artist Salvador Larroca lead the X-Men into their darkest hour…and beyond!

No Caption Provided

Matt Rosenbern retweeted the article where this was posted so i guess we can look forward to Scott's return?

#33 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:

Uncanny X-men #11 & #12

Matt Rosenbern retweeted the article where this was posted so i guess we can look forward to Scott's return?

Well, i actually got it from his retweet.Still doesn't answer the "return";which is giving me phoenix endsong vibe.

#34 Edited by marvelfan1992 (2681 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:

Uncanny X-men #11 & #12

As something i missed.

Issue #11 – 72PGS./Rated T+ …$7.99

Issue #12 – 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

#36 Posted by PyroFN (6385 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by PyroFN (6385 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: *slides in from nowhere* The Teen Jean vs Emma confrontation in Secret Empire was of total circumstance. These are the factors that led to Jeans victory:

•The Cosmic Cube pieces power was sleeping onto the psychic plane they were on, effectively amping both girls and establishing a connection between Tyke And Jeen.

•Tyke was resisting Emma’s influence after he expresses self-doubt about who he is and why Jeen is alive to begin with.

•The most important piece, Emma self-doubt about her actions. Jeen highlights how Emma knows what she is doing is wrong, which weakened Emmas resolve because what she was doing was indeed patently crazy.

#38 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9371 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:

Uncanny X-men #11 & #12

No Caption Provided

yeah this is awesome

AGE OF X-MAN: NEXTGEN #1 (of 5)

ED BRISSON (W) • MARCUS TO (A)

Cover by CHRIS BACHALO

VARIANT COVER BY TBA

Connecting variant cover by InHyuk Lee

SECRET VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

ENTER THE AGE OF X-MAN!

In an age of utopia, the Summers Institute for Higher Learning is the premiere school for the mutant community across the globe. Attendance is mandatory for all mutant children, as they learn to become the next generation of marvelous X-Men. But even in a utopian society, teenagers will always find a way to rebel… Follow Glob, Armor, Anole and Rockslide as they discover what it really means to live in an age of peace and harmony!

summers institute......hilarious ........reminds me of "summer school" LOL

@pyrofn

#39 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelfan1992 said:

yeah this is awesome

Cover by CHRIS BACHALO

VARIANT COVER BY TBA

ENTER THE AGE OF X-MAN!

In an age of utopia, the Summers Institute for Higher Learning is the premiere school for the mutant community across the globe. Attendance is mandatory for all mutant children, as they learn to become the next generation of marvelous X-Men. But even in a utopian society, teenagers will always find a way to rebel… Follow Glob, Armor, Anole and Rockslide as they discover what it really means to live in an age of peace and harmony!

@pyrofn

I was literally writing about this is in discussion board.You beat me to it.

#40 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9371 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:
@hopesummersforthefuture said:
@marvelfan1992 said:

yeah this is awesome

Cover by CHRIS BACHALO

VARIANT COVER BY TBA

ENTER THE AGE OF X-MAN!

@pyrofn

I was literally writing about this is in discussion board.You beat me to it.

and marvelfan beat me in posting about wolverine and cyclops grrrrrrrr i wanted to post that grr

#41 Posted by GladeusEx (683 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal said:

Too bad,emma isn't in uncanny.

I think three telepaths on one team would be too many, unless they were going very specifically for an even more powerful telepathic enemy than usual.

@pyrofn said:

@gladeusex: *slides in from nowhere* The Teen Jean vs Emma confrontation in Secret Empire was of total circumstance. These are the factors that led to Jeans victory:

•The Cosmic Cube pieces power was sleeping onto the psychic plane they were on, effectively amping both girls and establishing a connection between Tyke And Jeen.

•Tyke was resisting Emma’s influence after he expresses self-doubt about who he is and why Jeen is alive to begin with.

•The most important piece, Emma self-doubt about her actions. Jeen highlights how Emma knows what she is doing is wrong, which weakened Emmas resolve because what she was doing was indeed patently crazy.

If the Cosmic Cube fragment interfaced with everyone, then it's a constant I can take off the board - regardless if Emma presumably had more time to actually exploit it to her apparent benefit.

Tyke expressing self doubt is one thing. I'm debating whether it's even relevant in the grand scheme of Emma getting beaten by Jean.

Was it crazy? She had presumably influenced wolfsbane, firestar, and the rest of her New Tian team, and yet when it comes to Cyclops, that's the line where it's drawn?

Well of course it's crazy because yes, it was on a more personal level in which Emma influenced Scott. And it's that completely irrational level of attribution to a clearly teenage Cyclops that makes her written out of cohesion and character.

In which I come back to square one - the writer made wrote Emma like trash to make Teen Jean look comparatively better. I mean seriously - Emma, who probably knows Cyclops' powers better than himself, can barely knock out one of the 05-1, yet Cyclops floors her in diamond form in one shot.

Whenever Teen Jean and Emma are put in the same story, it has always been an exercise in Emma being used as a stool to prop Jean up. I can think of practically no example where the opposite is true.

#42 Posted by ElPendejo (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

@gladeusex: Where there’s that time i Madripoor where Emma booped away Jeens telepathy. At least we can all agree that in normal circumstances, in a battle of telepathy, Emma’d Win.

#43 Posted by AsheTDust (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

Could Jean’s TK shield bubble act as a giant hamster ball?

Discuss!

#44 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@elpendejo: I can't speak for any real notion of womanly affection, but my best guess is that Emma is constantly defined by men in positions of leadership. One might even say its her 'fatal flaw', alongside with her motiff of flawed perfection.

I think Emma spent a fair bit of time trying to wear down one of her former enemies - using a bit of doubt, seduction, and self improvement. The end result - while dubious of intentions when you consider her outreach as a counselor of sorts - makes the yin yang coupling of the two at odds, yet an oddly symbiotic combination.

Teen Jean Grey beats Emma Frost simply as an outlet for the writer to make Teen Jean seem more impressive.

Ah well, if the issue says they're still broken, then it's just another day of Emma Frost being written in an abominably counter-intuitive manner. Thanks Marvel.

But errr.... we're not supposed to go on tangents. Though I suppose that's all me.

I'm pretty sure the big reasons she tried to get with him are:

1.) Cause he was the leader / most attractive guy on the team (And she presumably hadn't been in a relationship in a while)

2.) Cause she was bored and wanted to see if she could (Scott is known for being married to Jean for a long time, Mr. and Mrs. X-men, and he's also known for being very stoic, serious, unwavering , etc...)

3.) Lastly (and I'm guessing the biggest reason) to mess with and hurt Jean.

She never originally meant to fall in love with him.

#45 Edited by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnihal: I really hope they don't do the whole Phoenix Resurrection or Endsong type thing again.

Looks like Issue 11 is the probably the one...

#46 Posted by iamre321 (456 posts) - - Show Bio

Also guys I finally got a new profile pic, what'd you guys think?

My two favorite girls...

No Caption Provided

#47 Posted by AsheTDust (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamre321 said:

My two favorite girls...

No Caption Provided

It's pretty! I like it!

#48 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamre321 said:

My two favorite girls...

No Caption Provided

It's really nice.

#49 Posted by MrNihal (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamre321 said:

@mrnihal: I really hope they don't do the whole Phoenix Resurrection or Endsong type thing again.

I hope not.

#50 Posted by PyroFN (6385 posts) - - Show Bio