Should X-Men movies reboot or follow the original 3 movies?

• 68 results
Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

With the "Days of Future Past" movie coming up, it has been speculated that Brian Singer is planning on"fixing" the mistakes from "X-Men: The Last Stand" while the "DOFP" movie is supposed to be a sequel to "X-Men: First Class." So, is it okay for Brian Singer to just "fix" the mistakes from X-Men Last Stand or should the X-Men movie franchise actually have a brand new direction after X-Men First Class?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I honestly just want a reboot. The costumes from X1-3 blow, Cyclops is dead, and lots of characters got mishandled.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reboot, there was a lot of wasted potential. I remember seeing many characters I liked just sitting in the background chewing the scenery

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I personally would want a reboot also because at this point, going back to the original movies is just going to confuse the fans even more and even I'm not really following the whole time traveling thing between the First Class cast with the original X-Men cast. Also, rebooting the franchise would allow the opportunity to give out better stories for the characters and maybe, be able to stick a bit closely to the source material.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dernman

I totally think they should reboot that mess of a franchise.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just make them fly like really fly and have their powers show fast and not in slow motion

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

With the "Days of Future Past" movie coming up, it has been speculated that Brian Singer is planning on"fixing" the mistakes from "X-Men: The Last Stand" while the "DOFP" movie is supposed to be a sequel to "X-Men: First Class." So, is it okay for Brian Singer to just "fix" the mistakes from X-Men Last Stand or should the X-Men movie franchise actually have a brand new direction after X-Men First Class?

I liked X-men and I still love X-2, but if they get retconed out of the movie continuity or whatever, it's not gonna hurt my butt.

First Class might be the best X-men movie (still hard for me to pick between it and X-2), and when I watched it, I didn't know if it was a prequel or a reboot. By the end, I didn't care. It was a good movie, and it was a cool X-men story I'd never seen. If DoFP can take one of my favorite X-men stories and make it seem as fresh as First Class was, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

That said, given how bad the Last Stand was, as well as inconsistencies that already exist between First Class and the original trilogy, I think they'd be smarter to treat First Class as a reboot, personally.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

I honestly just want a reboot. The costumes from X1-3 blow, Cyclops is dead, and lots of characters got mishandled.

@ciriel said:

Reboot, there was a lot of wasted potential. I remember seeing many characters I liked just sitting in the background chewing the scenery

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GonnaRain

@jhazzroucher said:

Just make them fly like really fly and have their powers show fast and not in slow motion

^ I sooo agree with you. Most of the characters who could fly, say, Storm and Mags for example, did it in such an awkward way... And to be honest, the same happened in First Class, Banshee and Angel flight seemed pretty fake.

I would hope for a total reboot, with a new director. I would love for the characters to be more accurate, and the plots to at least stay a little close to the comics. I know it's really impossible to ask for a movie that sticks with the comics a 100%, but they could at least stay a little true to them.

And I want a real Emma Frost.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be okay with a reboot for x1-3 but x-men origins: wolverine needs a reboot or retconned out of existence.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we need a reboot. Also recasting. X2 and 1st class were the best of the bunch. Last Stand was just bad. Cyclops dead and Jean Grey being possessed more by Carrie than the Pheonix. Wolverine doesnt always save the day. Patrick Stewart as professor x is great.

In my opinion a great new X movie would be to go back to Xavier and Magneto and how they went opposite, show the manifestation of the original 5's powers and them trying to deal with it. Xavier recruiting and Magneto assualting the world with his hijacking missiles.

If there is a reboot they should call it The Uncanny Xmen

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog said:

I liked X-men and I still love X-2, but if they get retconed out of the movie continuity or whatever, it's not gonna hurt my butt.

First Class might be the best X-men movie (still hard for me to pick between it and X-2), and when I watched it, I didn't know if it was a prequel or a reboot. By the end, I didn't care. It was a good movie, and it was a cool X-men story I'd never seen. If DoFP can take one of my favorite X-men stories and make it seem as fresh as First Class was, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

That said, given how bad the Last Stand was, as well as inconsistencies that already exist between First Class and the original trilogy, I think they'd be smarter to treat First Class as a reboot, personally.

I agree that it would be better to reboot the franchise rather than go back and continue from the original trilogy. I personally would want to see something new with the X-Men movie franchise and rebooting the franchise would be a great way to see something new and I actually thought that First Class was a reboot of the X-Men movies franchise. I considered the original trilogy to be movies of their time and X-men First Class to be a reinvent of the X-Men film franchise and I would prefer to see it play out that way then to go back to a trilogy that was made years ago.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By HexThis

I do have a certain fondness for Singer's X-men, you have to understand the context of them. See, in 2000, there were no superhero movies at all and there wasn't a market for them at all. As a matter in fact, the budget for the X-men movie was like 75 million or something which is nothing compared to what they are today. People weren't as sure that a superhero premise would work on the big screen so there were a lot of alterations made because of that. They couldn't afford to have Beast or Angel in the movie which is part of the reason for why Jean Grey was a doctor. I think Bryan Singer did a very good job with what he had and I think his serious approach to the X-men franchise opened a lot of doors. Another dumb, campy movie would've been disastrous.

I liked First Class and I hope to like Days of Future and Past. A few casting choices irk me though, I never liked Ellen Paige as Kitty Pryde, I don't think Halle Berry has the right presence for Storm, Angel's role was pointless in X3, I didn't like seeing Psylocke as disposable, I don't agree with killing Phoenix, I don't like that Cyke is dead, and I do think Hugh Jackman and his wacky team has co-opted the franchise a bit.

X1, X2, and X-Men First Class were good. Days of Future and Past should be the last though before a reboot.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

I do have a certain fondness for Singer's X-men, you have to understand the context of them. See, in 2000, there were no superhero movies at all and there wasn't a market for them at all. As a matter in fact, the budget for the X-men movie was like 75 million or something which is nothing compared to what they are today. People weren't as sure that a superhero premise would work on the big screen so there were a lot of alterations made because of that. They couldn't afford to have Beast or Angel in the movie which is part of the reason for why Jean Grey was a doctor. I think Bryan Singer did a very good job with what he had and I think his serious approach to the X-men franchise opened a lot of doors. Another dumb, campy movie would've been disastrous.

Exactly this. Its nice to see someone that has common sense. This is also the reason why Wolverine is the centric character in the first one, he was the most recognizable, bankable X-character at the time. They weren't going to take a chance and had to have him front and center. Now of days, with all the comic movies making millions effortlessly, they could take a chance on a film with no Wolverine (First Class)....Also, Hugh Jackmans career blew up like nobodies business after the first film....so naturally he was going to have top billing in the sequels as the most popular character. Its how things work in the film industry. I think people need to understand things like this before they start complaining about the X-Men films.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By reignmaker

Though I'm not the biggest fan of the original three X movies, I still think the second one has held up pretty well over the years. That and I'm a fan of keeping the continuity in tact for as long as possible. Just because you've made a bad movie or two doesn't mean you need to shove another needless reboot down our throats like Amazing Spider-Man. Learn from your earlier mistakes, and do better the next time around.

I like what I've heard about Days of Future Past so far. We'll see where it takes us.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should reboot it once? Marvel gets the rights back.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I agree that it would be better to reboot the franchise rather than go back and continue from the original trilogy. I personally would want to see something new with the X-Men movie franchise and rebooting the franchise would be a great way to see something new and I actually thought that First Class was a reboot of the X-Men movies franchise. I considered the original trilogy to be movies of their time and X-men First Class to be a reinvent of the X-Men film franchise and I would prefer to see it play out that way then to go back to a trilogy that was made years ago.

Yeah, it doesn't seem that long ago for me that they made X-men (the first movie), but it really was a different time in the sense that it (along with Blade and Spider-man) really were breaking new ground in what now is considered a viable genre. Obviously there were plenty of superhero movies before, but when X-men came out, it still wasn't a mainstream genre. Now it's finally become one, and one of the things I like about First Class is that it's not even trying to be an adaptation; it's a new X-men story told in a different medium. I know they have the advantage of 50 years of source material to draw from, but I still think they'd be smarter to just treat First Class as the first issue of an entirely new series.

@hexthis said:

There's a little exaggeration there; there actually were lots (way more than people ever think about now) of superhero movies made before 2000, it's just that most of them weren't ever meant for the mainstream. Most of them were, as you say, campy; but, as much as I like the first X-men movie, I think you may be being a bit nostalgic about it if you don't think it was somewhat campy as well. It was head and shoulders above what had come before, but it was not an entirely different animal. Good analysis, though.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DoFP should portray the 3rd X-film as a possible future from the perspective of First Class and then smooth out the inconsistencies. I'd really, really hate to see X2 reverted. It's one of my top all-time superhero films.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GonnaRain

The main problem I have with the current X-Men franchise is that continuity is a complete mess in it's OWN universe. You don't have to be a comic fan, or have read the comics to notice it. When X-1, 2 and 3 came out, the only knowledge I had on the X-Men was from TAS, and even I found many parts in the movie to be somewhat off or plain stupid. Did I enjoy them? Yes, very much, but still those things bugged me.

Cyclops dying, Last Stand version of the Phoenix didn't look like the Phoenix at all (where is the fire?!), two Emma Frosts in the franchise's Universe, and continuity itself was just messy.

I would really love a reboot, but under Marvel, so that some X-Men characters can appear in future Avengers Movie. Like Scarlet Witch, I would love to see her in the movies.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JonSmith

Negotiate with Marvel to get Whedon on a reboot, in exchange for them loaning the Golden Goose, the new X-Men will be apart of the MCU. Call the reboot Astonishing X-Men. Watch the money roll in.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't have a preference... It's easy to say reboot and say "Ooh I'd want these characters with this story..." but in reality it would never happen to a fan's specifications! So I say continue going with what they have. Obviously they're trying to connect the previous 3 movies with the prequel and its sequel in order to smooth things over so lets see how they accomplish that first. Then we can judge if this whole huge series needs a reboot or not!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the series should be rebooted. For a 2000's movie, they were decent but looking back at them now, they're kind of pathetic. Cyclops totally sucked in them for starters. But I would be okay if they didn't reboot and used DOFP to make X3 not exist.

What I wish they would do is have a First Class series and reboot the original X-Men series so it's better.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the series should be rebooted. For a 2000's movie, they were decent but looking back at them now, they're kind of pathetic. Cyclops totally sucked in them for starters. But I would be okay if they didn't reboot and used DOFP to make X3 not exist.

What I wish they would do is have a First Class series and reboot the original X-Men series so it's better.

I definitely agree with this! I don't mind the franchise restarting with First Class and it would be great to see the original trilogy actually be rebooted.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

follow original 3

NightHaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should reboot, but my problem is Xavier and Wolverine were cast perfectly.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, I don't even rewatch the first three movies because they are somewhat boring.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@arturocalakayvee said:

Agreed, I don't even rewatch the first three movies because they are somewhat boring.

I also agree with this. I can probably sit through the second movie, but not the first or the third one.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

No reason for a reboot. The X-Men have a roster that changes from issue to issue, just continue the story with a few old members and a few new ones, not a problem. James Marsden was a perfect Cyclops, Shawn Ashmore was a terrific Iceman, Alan Cumming was awesome as Nightcrawler, Ian McKellan/Michael Fastbender completely embody Magneto, and Patrick Stewart/James McAvoy are great as Xavier. While I'm sure there are people who would be just as good, they won't be better, so why even risk a reboot?

The only problem is that many of the great characters that could go onto a new team have been used in bit parts already, often times in completely different eras of time. That's a shame, but there are plenty of untapped X-Men still out there. Most of the New Mutants for example. It might even be a cool twist to have a senior citizen version of Gambit on the team who can still kick some but Bruce Willis style (but they should cast someone with hair). And I don't like the leather jumpsuits anymore than the next guy, but superheroes change their look every other month, it will have been more than 15 years since the first X-Men film if and when they do an X4, the fact that styles would change is a given.

Marvel will eventually get the license back, and then there will be a reboot. Until then let's explore this universe a little more thoroughly.

But frankly, I'd be happy to have them just stick with the X-Men First Class stories for awhile.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

No no....X-Men 4 will be great!!....good cast,and face it....the original 3 were all good!...just the 3d was less great than the other 2.

girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They should have rebooted with First Class. The X-men movie continuity is all over the place.

X-MEN55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel/Disney should get the rights back first and then they should reboot it. The Fox X-Men movies suck and like others have said, the continuity is a complete mess.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Reboot at Marvel with the original 5 X-men, if folks need a Wolverine fix Marvel can get going on the Hulk vs Wolverine movie we all need in our lives

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboot at Marvel with the original 5 X-men, if folks need a Wolverine fix Marvel can get going on the Hulk vs Wolverine movie we all need in our lives

Yeah, I definitely would like to see Wolverine fight the Hulk sometime!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By judasnixon

REBOOT THAT $#!%.........

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By millennium

foxs needs to reboot the x-men films everything after x2 was just bad that includes origins & first class

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last stand was just bad. X2 not bad and I actually like first class but they need to reboot it. They need a new cast I really don't see Huge Jackmon as Wolverine. Does he look like that part? On a scale from 1 to 10 a 4.5. But looking the part isn't everything he doesn't convince me he's wolverine same goes for Cyclopes. They only got the Xavier part right. That being said hopefully if they do a reboot I want me some Quicksilver.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't mind if First Class is supposed to come before the X-Trilogy, but I don't want it connected in such a way to ruin the perfection of First Class. I'm fine with just thinking First Class exists in its own universe separate from the other 4 films.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind if First Class is supposed to come before the X-Trilogy, but I don't want it connected in such a way to ruin the perfection of First Class. I'm fine with just thinking First Class exists in its own universe separate from the other 4 films.

I like to think of First Class that way also. It's just way too fresh to be apart of the original trilogy.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By darthphoenix

they should. like what they did with spiderman. they should be faithful with the comics' storylines

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboot them. Bryan Singer's X-Men movies were good movies, just not good X-Men movies. Take it away from Fox for sure. Get a better director. Get better casting (Halle Berry? Really?). Give them their original costumes. Use a storyline featured in an X-Men Comic, like they did with X-2 (which was the best out of the original trilogy).

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Reboot and make it right..... It's too bad too, because some of the characters were perfectly cast like Xavier, Sabretooth (x-men #1), Nightcrawler, Cyclops even.

Just make it Right

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is wrong with just fixing it? Cyclops didn't die on screen so there is no reason to say he really is and characters come back from death all the time. This film is dealing with time travel so why not just fix those things like they never happened?

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reboot, there are too many crossing plot holes in their attempt to maintain connected. The trilogy had a cameo by Beast in human form in the first, and in his ape like Beast form in the third but in 3rd class he immediately turns blue and into his feline beast form nonetheless. In X:Origins Wolverine Kayla Silverfox is the older sister of a young Emma Frost who along with several other mutants were saved from captivity by an already bald and old Prof X. In first class we see an adult Emma Frost hanging with the Hellfire club facing off against a young Xavier and Magneto. There are probably a few more plot holes I'm not mentioning but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

quiteMAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Days of Futures Past is going to be both a merging of continuities and a reboot. The fact that Patrick Stewart is back should be proof of that, along with the plot dealing with time travel and alternate dimensions. And First Class, I think was supposed to be a hard reboot, which is why it was so full of supposed continuity errors.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@farkam said:

Reboot them. Bryan Singer's X-Men movies were good movies, just not good X-Men movies. Take it away from Fox for sure. Get a better director. Get better casting (Halle Berry? Really?). Give them their original costumes. Use a storyline featured in an X-Men Comic, like they did with X-2 (which was the best out of the original trilogy).

I agree. I definitely would like to see an X-Men film that was actually faithful to the comics.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@farkam said:

I agree. I definitely would like to see an X-Men film that was actually faithful to the comics.

Agreed.~

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Continue, The trilogy was great and First Class was the best The actors and the characters were. People complaining about X3 so much. It was a decent movie, just should've been two parts for character development and two plots. They didn't use Cyclops' character wrong, Just how he is in the comics.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they need to get their sh!t together and acknowledge there is a time line so they can avoid plot holes and continuity errors. Don't be like "yeah it's cannon, all in the same universe" that statement alone allowed the flood gates to open to errors and continuity problems. Apparently this new movie is supposed to fix that, but I don't see how without it confusing the heck out of people, or it being a cop out ending

"wow I guess because we traveled through time, some things changed"

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

they need to get their sh!t together and acknowledge there is a time line so they can avoid plot holes and continuity errors. Don't be like "yeah it's cannon, all in the same universe" that statement alone allowed the flood gates to open to errors and continuity problems. Apparently this new movie is supposed to fix that, but I don't see how without it confusing the heck out of people, or it being a cop out ending

"wow I guess because we traveled through time, some things changed"

I agree. I wonder how this movie is actually going to fix all the continuity errors of this franchise. It would be better if they just rebooted the whole movie franchise so that they could write the characters better and develop the time lines better.