Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Realistic X-men Movie Costumes feat. X-Women (Added Rachel S. and Psylocke Jan 2019)

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xmenfallen
    Scarlet Witch (darker colors and added black colors, was not sure if I should add the cape but I went with it because of her classic look)
    Scarlet Witch (darker colors and added black colors, was not sure if I should add the cape but I went with it because of her classic look)

In my opinion X-men characters have one of the best costumes in the entire comic/tv show universe. They have unique and bold costumes, although in their movies they got toned down. I do understand since their costumes might not translate well in real life because of the vibrant colors and unique style it might look "cartoonish".

Psylocke (veered away from the classic
    Psylocke (veered away from the classic "swimsuit" costume and made it a bit more functional but still have that sexy look)
    Rachel Summers 1
    Rachel Summers 1

So I tried to make realistic X-men costumes that might look good in the movies but also closely resembles their iconic costumes in the 90s / animated series, I used an "online costume game" for these creations.

Storm 90s Cape
    Storm 90s Cape
    Storm 3 (Traditional Cape)
    Storm 3 (Traditional Cape)

I have looks for Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey (Phoenix), Jubilee, Emma, Shadowcat, X-23 and Polaris. Mostly I tried to darken the colors in their costume and tried to incorporate black/grey colors in it.

Rogue 2
    Rogue 2

Rogue (black and green suit)
    Rogue (black and green suit)
    Phoenix (Green)
    Phoenix (Green)
    Dark Phoenix
    Dark Phoenix
    Armor (Original Uniform inspired)
    Armor (Original Uniform inspired)
    Jean Grey (inspired by 90s, used darker colors to make it look less
    Jean Grey (inspired by 90s, used darker colors to make it look less "costume-y")

Jubilee 1
    Jubilee 1
    Jubilee 2
    Jubilee 2
    Shadowcat
    Shadowcat
    Emma (no cape)
    Emma (no cape)
    Emma (with cape)
    Emma (with cape)
    Polaris (added darker tones)
    Polaris (added darker tones)
    X-23
    X-23
    Dazzler (inspired by a mix of her 3 costumes (All White, Classic Blue and Secret Invasion Costume)
    Dazzler (inspired by a mix of her 3 costumes (All White, Classic Blue and Secret Invasion Costume)
    xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xmenfallen

What do you guys think? Suggestions? My favorites are:

Storm 1

Storm 3

Rogue (black and green)

Jubilee 2

Shadowcat

Emma (no cape) I dont think she needs cape when she goes on battles

I kinda dont like my Jean grey outfit

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They look pretty decent. I see you've recycled the base body shape which is very efficient. As far as movie costumes go, they seem well standardized and quite cool.

That said, I don't see Emma Frost here so forgive me if I don't seem enthusiastic.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Storm 2

1st rogue

Second jubes

And alternatively put them all in your shadow cat outfit

What program is this?

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladeusex: Thank you, I just added an Emma look for the collection

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I imagined that Shadowcat outfit would be their standard costume for the team just with slightly different colors. I did that Shadowcat outfit since I wasnt really feeling her 90s blue costume and she didnt really have a popular unique costume so I just made her the standard one that she wears in the comics with slight edits.

And I didnt really use a proper program for this, I just randomly stumbled upon an online game that did costumes for X-men character (only female characers though)

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like emma can you do any of the girls?

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty neat. It's fun to get creative!

How about costumes for Rachel Grey, Magic, X-23 and Polaris?

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, the Emma Frost one with the cape is absolutely great. Kudos.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xmenfallen

@mcklayn: thanks, yes i can any suggestions on other characters?

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, yes i might try those characters

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the answer is a they're a hit if you're getting request. XD

I have a challenge, make realistic Phoenix costumes for Jean (Green, Dark, and White, or all three). And by realistic, I mean ancient, since the Phoenix is ancient, or maybe a mix of the two.

Btw, Jean looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion. I'd do some things different as an artist myself, but they are fine just the way they are in my honest opinion cause they're your designs. If there was anything objectively bad, I would say just so for the record.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashetdust: I just added Polaris to the collection, made her colors darker than usual.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Monet? Karma if idk I like Lot of minor characters

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AsheTDust

Polaris looks great

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polaris looks stellar.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Thank You, I tried to make the Green and the Dark one. I personally like the Green over the Dark one.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmenfallen: They look amazing. Not as ancient as If imagine, but far, far from bad. The green does seem to contrast nicely, but I feel the red is the best in my opinion. The black gives the dark feel that goes well with the red in my opinion.

Plus, it matches her hair.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: thanks, the ancient thing was a bit hard to do though

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Some of those are pretty good. I don't think Jean's 90's look would work anywhere but the comics, but the Phoenix designs look nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
    deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they looked like this in the movies. Great job

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@msselene: Thank You, yes had a hard time with 90s Jean. My design would either look to cartoonish or just be way off from the 90s costume. Have any character suggestions I should do?

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New costume design update, Dazzler.

If you are wondering why I haven't done Psylocke yet its because her X-men Apocalypse costume in the move was already great in my opinion.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Considering these are supposed to be fighting outfits, if I was to make them realistic, I would essentially ban anything that doesn't have a practical application, I am thinking the various capes, overcoats and Rogue's tiny jacket. And I'd be doing this because aside that they have no real function, some of them are just an added hazard for the wearers since they can be caught by all kinds of things or grabbed by an adversary.

I know this will ruin the classic look of the characters, but in terms of realism, when was the last time you saw anyone wear a cape?

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yes I actuallly agree with you on being more "realistic", I actually took into consideration the functionality like "move-ability". I tried to incorporate "lines"on their suits in order to give them more free movement (kinda hard to explain what the lines really does"). I also added suit openings or holes for their bodies to breath and move easier, actually most of the costume I envisioned to be 2 piece.

And yes I agree with you that capes and the jackets are not really realistic and necessary, but I tried to also have their iconic look be present in it.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added Scarlet Witch,any more suggestions?

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not gonna lie, the Scarlet Witch one is pretty good. A nice mix of darkness and red in a aesthetically pleasing but largely practical combination.

I also might of missed the Phoenix ones. I'm an absolute sucker for a waist trenchcoat, mostly of how it balances and flows the legs of the human body. Both the Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix ones are really good.

(The Emma Frost caped version is still my favourite though, hah.)

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much all of these are really good

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad at all.

SammyGothic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All are great but Scarlet Witch one is just amazing, love it XD

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cattlebattle

Considering these are supposed to be fighting outfits, if I was to make them realistic, I would essentially ban anything that doesn't have a practical application, I am thinking the various capes, overcoats and Rogue's tiny jacket. And I'd be doing this because aside that they have no real function, some of them are just an added hazard for the wearers since they can be caught by all kinds of things or grabbed by an adversary.

I know this will ruin the classic look of the characters, but in terms of realism, when was the last time you saw anyone wear a cape?

That's a problem with comics today, fans have this incessant need for things to be pragmatic and realistic. Comics are supposed to be a fun escape and attract young readers (kids) so the characters are supposed to "pop" by wearing bright, garish, unorthodox costumes. Also, capes were drawn a lot of time by artists to conceal the character's body in certain panels so you wouldn't have to draw anatomies over and over and it made the work easier.

I don't think certain characters having capes is that far fetched. I imagine you could argue that Poalris has metallic fibers in here cape as Magneto has been shown to have sometimes that can have uses in combat. I also thought Storm's cape was supposed to serve as sort of a glider which helps her travel around and Emma wearing a cape just stems from her time as a villain and being part of a Gentlemen's Club who wore period costumes like capes and corsets, it just became sort of her signature look and nobody ever changed it.

Honestly, if you are talking about women and "fighting outfits" the only logical and "practical" kind of wear would be similar to what women in the UFC wear, which is basically nothing, or something like loose fitting karate gis. Wearing skin tight outfits and having your long, flowing hair down and unrestrained would be just as silly as wearing a cape to be honest.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@outside_85 said:

That's a problem with comics today, fans have this incessant need for things to be pragmatic and realistic. Comics are supposed to be a fun escape and attract young readers (kids) so the characters are supposed to "pop" by wearing bright, garish, unorthodox costumes. Also, capes were drawn a lot of time by artists to conceal the character's body in certain panels so you wouldn't have to draw anatomies over and over and it made the work easier.

I don't think certain characters having capes is that far fetched. I imagine you could argue that Poalris has metallic fibers in here cape as Magneto has been shown to have sometimes that can have uses in combat. I also thought Storm's cape was supposed to serve as sort of a glider which helps her travel around and Emma wearing a cape just stems from her time as a villain and being part of a Gentlemen's Club who wore period costumes like capes and corsets, it just became sort of her signature look and nobody ever changed it.

Honestly, if you are talking about women and "fighting outfits" the only logical and "practical" kind of wear would be similar to what women in the UFC wear, which is basically nothing, or something like loose fitting karate gis. Wearing skin tight outfits and having your long, flowing hair down and unrestrained would be just as silly as wearing a cape to be honest.

Erm no, my point is that when someone stands up and say's 'I've made, or will make, realistic superhero outfits' then they are going get judged by that standard:

• Are they something a person would wear? (I am thinking if someone would argue anyone would daily wear Emma Frosts wardrobe other than Lady Gaga.)
    • Are they doing what they are supposed to do? (As in do they protect the person wearing it to the degree that's needed?)
    • And are there anything on them that's unnecessary and positively dangerous for the one wearing it?

I am not saying all capes on superheroes are bad and unnecessary. Batman for instance, when it's not bulletproof, it's a glider. Storm and Emma on the other hand only wear theirs because it's a fashion choice that serves no purpose other than a visual one and as T'Challa will now demonstrate, not a sound choice for a fight:

No Caption Provided

You are ofc right that long hair has the same dangers, but at the same time I would say it's highly unusual seeing superheroes with their incredible powers reduce a fight to schoolyard antics.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmenfallen:

Suggestions for other costumes?

Psylocke, Magik, Rachel Grey and the Cuckoos.

Some neat stuff you’re putting together here.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Erm no, my point is that when someone stands up and say's 'I've made, or will make, realistic superhero outfits' then they are going get judged by that standard:

• Are they something a person would wear? (I am thinking if someone would argue anyone would daily wear Emma Frosts wardrobe other than Lady Gaga.)
    • Are they doing what they are supposed to do? (As in do they protect the person wearing it to the degree that's needed?)
    • And are there anything on them that's unnecessary and positively dangerous for the one wearing it?

I am not saying all capes on superheroes are bad and unnecessary. Batman for instance, when it's not bulletproof, it's a glider. Storm and Emma on the other hand only wear theirs because it's a fashion choice that serves no purpose other than a visual one and as T'Challa will now demonstrate, not a sound choice for a fight:

Dude, I get what you are saying, I've seen "The Incredibles". I was just pointing out the reason why artists might realistically and conceptually have a character wear a cape, and there can be some practical applications for a cape as Polaris may have hers interwoven with metal and Storm has used her cape offensively before--Emma and Scarlet Witch on the other hand, yeah, fashion choices. I was also pointing out that Emma wore a cape initially because of her Hellfire Club association and artists that came later just never updated it, the Dodsons tried during Generation X but it didn't stick.

When the OP said "realistic", he states in the post that means in terms of costumes translating into film and looking less "cartoonish" and tacky. I don't think he was really getting into the deluge of the intricacies of what costume accessories do and don't make sense. He also admitted the capes were iconic and seen as sacrosanct as well and that was the reason for their inclusion.

And, yeah, haha, Storm has been having cape woes for quite some time

No Caption Provided

You are ofc right that long hair has the same dangers, but at the same time I would say it's highly unusual seeing superheroes with their incredible powers reduce a fight to schoolyard antics.

Well, realistically there is other reasons you would tie your hair other than worrying someone might grab it, it would get in your face and obstruct your vision as well as annoyingly stick to you when sweating. Also, I don't actually know if there some sort of written rule that super villains agreed upon to not pull hair. ;)

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: @outside_85

Cattlebattle is right when I created this I intended it to be a merge of realism (in terms or overall look in the movies) and their signature/popular look.

and the main goal was not too make it look too cartoonish but still is famliar with the comic fans

Yes I agree that capes, free fall hair and tight outfits might not be the mot appropriate in real life for superheroes but this is just intended for a movie, more specifically a comic movie. But yes I did try and also make the pieces comfortable and battle ready as far as the design application was equipped.

As for Emma I personally dont think she needs a cape, that is why I added a "non cape version. For Storm I feel like she needs to have a cape since that is part of her signature look.

Overall yes they still look like it cant function well in real life but I believe they are realistic enough too be used in movies and not look silly on cam.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmenfallen:

Suggestions for other costumes?

Psylocke, Magik, Rachel Grey and the Cuckoos.

Some neat stuff you’re putting together here.

Psylocke please!!!

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Emma I personally dont think she needs a cape, that is why I added a "non cape version. For Storm I feel like she needs to have a cape since that is part of her signature look.

I think a good middle ground is the trenchcoat, like in the Jean Grey one you did. Capes have little realistic value, but in comics, where aesthetic value is king, it's great.

So yeah, if you did a Emma Frost trenchcoat version sort of like her Marvel Now! version, that'd be super cool.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dang, those are beauties.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Made new edits of Storm, Rogue and Jean Grey.

Added a new creation - Armor.

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Edit for 2019.. Psylocke.

Any other character suggesions?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Edit for 2019.. Psylocke.

Any other character suggesions?

Magneto, Cyclops, Emma, Sentinels, Sinister, Juggernaut :)

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Emma is already done if I’m not correct. The rest are men and if I’m not correct, this is the X-Women thread.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

lol true. Just read Xmen movie costumes.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmenfallen: Hmmmm, Rachel Summers (you get a lot of flexibility since Rachel has all kinds of looks from Phoenix to Marvel Girl to Prestige and the hair. My god), Hope Summers (You will have a wild time if You add either her gun or Cables Psimitar), the Stepford Cuckoos (you can do one or five; doesn’t matter), or British Psylocke???

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. Ok i like the Rachel look.

Don't really like the feel of these for movie costumes but for general X-Men outfits for the school and missions these work well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.