Random character versus: Hope Summers vs X-23

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Random character versus: Hope Summers vs X-23 (14 votes)

Hope 21%
Laura 79%

No Caption Provided

-Obviously not a battle-

Just a random comparision between these two, throughout the years, who do you think has had better development, or just flat out who do you think is the more interesting character overall?

• 
Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Koays  Online

X-23 has had better development and is currently a better character....

She lost alot of her interesting traits in the process....and her era as "Wolverine" is an era of stale stories with lots of gimmicks.

Tom Taylor and Marorie Liu both managed to develop Laura into a more mature and well rounded character AND remove almost anything interesting or unique about the character and her story established before them and turn her into what may as well be The Avengers Present: "Wolverine's daughter".

That said Hope is a good character....that has only been well done a few times.

She's almost always great with Cable (as seen in her X-Force runs) but her early appearances are very much cut and dry "kid deals with destiny".

AvX is a moment that kinda ruined everything from her potential, to her relationship dynamics, to her relevance as a character.....Hopefully she finds some more stable ground in the current X-Factor or gets explored some more in the Kid Cable series.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#2 god_spawn  Moderator

Laura by far. I'm going to agree with Koays for the most part on his assessment of her. I think Laura has by far had the better stories, the larger amount of better stories, was a more interesting character, better back story, etc. I think Liu actually had a solid run on Laura and I did like her interactions and dynamics with the supporting cast. Laura going berserk on Logan with him and Gambit trying to snap her back was a favorite moment of mine between the characters. But Taylor was definitely a pretty forced run due to the gimmick of her being Wolverine. But I do agree with Liu advancing her character and calming her down a bit, but Taylor really rounded her down a bit more, but that was a pretty forced thing making her Wolverine with how they did it and some her characterization was off. But they aged her, she's supposed to be 21-22 now, and the angsty angry teen that she was for so long I don't think there was a lot more they could've gone with. Still, I do think she does need to be written a little more robotic than they have been, and she like her dad is a killer at heart, but both want to do the right thing. I think the level of passion behind that exterior Yost and Kyle had with her is something that makes her, her. But having grown up, she needed to calm down a bit. I don't think it's completely balanced though. They did back track her though with Fallen Angels, kind of having a thing for Cable (I think?) and the forced teacher role with Kwannon also didn't make sense. I felt like what development they gave her was trashed for a shitty book. So I'm glad that book seemingly is on hold.

As far as Hope goes, I think she lost a lot of her potential. She is great with certain characters and I liked her in Second Coming, but she just became more plot device than character with AvX, and hasn't fully recovered since. I don't think she is as interesting as Laura is, but can be good if used right.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

X-23 by far for reasons stated above.

Avatar image for obscureobsidian
ObscureObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Laura. I think Hope have a pretty big problem since her conception, and that is being a too specific plot character. Her birth was relevant to a specific event, and after AvX is pretty obvious most writers don't know what to do with her. Even her own father, Cable, had the benefit of being easier to divorce from his more complicated elements, and facts like being Scott's son despite looking older can be gave the cliffnotes version of time travel sheananigans. And even then, with the Kid Cable version being the current one that's not a problem anymore!!!

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laura