Does film Magneto have the right to hate humans?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By william300

Just something that came to mind when re-watching First Class and Days of Future Past. As you know, Magneto developed a hatred for mankind and a belief that mutants are the superior race after going through the horrors of the Holocaust. And it works perfectly in the comics, but there's one problem with the film version of that origin, the Nazi officer who destroyed his life and tortured him was a mutant. The man who destroyed his life was one a member of the race he's trying to save and conquer the world for. How can film Magneto proclaim mutant superiority, and bring up the Holocaust as proof that humans will do the same thing to mutants if the Nazi officer who committed those crimes was a mutant? Thoughts?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By jumpstart55

Oh yes, but that Nazi officer was merely symbolic of a much larger movement that was started by humans. And mutants world wide were still being persecuted by humans. And Magnetos not that crazy, he knows Mutants aren't perfect, its just that compared to humans there much better in his opinion and evolutionarily superior given their much greater abilities.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: but what bothers me is that he intends to commit the same genocidal crimes that he was a victim to for sake of mutantkind, despite the fact that a mutant was the one of the people who committed the crimes against him.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@jumpstart55: Wasn't it estiblished in first class that mutants were not the cause of evolution but radiation?

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@william300: A mutant killed his mother, but the rest of his family were killed by humans.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deviousbastard: Mutants being brought about by the nuclear age was a theory of Xavier's, a theory proven wrong by the existence of Apocalypse who predates the nuclear age by thousands of years. Also yes as far as we know Shaw only killed his mother, but he also spent some time (probably years) torturing Magneto, that alone should be enough to teach someone that mutants aren't any different than humans and are capable of the same crimes.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: Apocalypse has a spaceship in the movie, which hints at alien ties like in the comic. So there could have been radiation in his time.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer- Nope

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deviousbastard: I doubt they keep the idea that radiation caused the mutation, I think there going to go forward with the idea that the mutation is a form of natural evolution. Also in the comics Apocalypse's mutation activated before he found the alien tech.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@william300: They will likely go with the celestial genetic experiment explaination like in the comics, since the evolution theory never made sense.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By william300

@deviousbastard: unlikely. i doubt they'll do anything like that. especially considering most of the films state that it was evolution and the openings of the first films had Xavier discuss evolution and how it's the cause of the human/mutant conflict, i doubt they would negate those themes and ideas by having mutants be an out of control science experiments. besides, the Celestials didn't directly create mutants, the experimented on early human but the directly create mutants. also i dont think Fox has the rights to the Celestials.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He has the only right.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@william300: Celestials might be a grey area like the twins since they are connected to the X-franchise. Or they might replace them with the Shi'ar.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HAWK2916

Hatred of a race or group is wrong so the answer is No. Nobody should hate a whole group based on what a few or even the majority do. But......

Now does he have a right to feel the way he does? Is it understandable?

Yes.

In Xmen 2 Styker was torturing him. In the horrible X3 they wanted to cure them like it was a disease. Imagine your nationality or race or whatever being thought of as a disease and someone seeking to forcibly cure you. In First Class, after they had stopped a war they were targeted by humans for destruction. Humans separated him from his family and it was humans that had sold out people to the experiments and destruction the Nazi's wrought. In DOFP they had created machines designed to target mutants. Although the movies didnt cover the 60 plus years of history in depth since that would have been impossible, its safe enough to see his reasons for it. Sort of like how we African Americans feel about slavery in this country. But when you really examine history you will see that slavery existed among other races and cultures, particularly ours, before America was even thought of. That still doesnt change what many of us think about and who many associate with oppression.

I think hatred of the perpetrators of certain crimes against humanity or in this case mutants or whatever is fully justified

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300:

Fox does not have exclusive rights to the celestials but that won't stop them from using the generic god-like aliens tinkering with humans trope. They may have partial rights as the celestials span their rented IPs.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Yes, but your forgetting that the Nazi officer that did those horrible things to him, was a mutant. How can he claim mutant superiority when the person who destroyed his life was a mutant.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By william300

@deviousbastard: I really hope they don't go that direction, It would go against all those openings that had Xavier making speeches about evolution and how it's ultimately cause of the human/mutant conflict. I hate the idea of mutant being created by aliens, I prefer the idea that there a natural evolution much more. I think them being a natural evolution works much better with the themes and ideas of the X-MEN.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: No I didn't forget that. That was just one person. But he would have never come in contact with him if the Nazi's (mostly humans) hadn't pulled him from his family and sent them to concentration camps. The hate was started by humans and though a mutant compounded the situation, the overall cause and what was represented was hatred of a race. A mutant may have done some bad things to him but humans have done far more.

I wonder if they will bring in the death of his daughter in the Apocalypse movie. Maybe he would not be powerful enough to save her so he wants an upgrade from Apoc and that's his he becomes a horseman. I don't know that could be interesting.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HAWK2916

@william300: Fox may do this to try spite and piss off Marvel. They might see it as a way to hurt the Inhumans movie. I dont think it will happen but who knows, I don't know which one is being petty but it takes two to fight. And with Marvel doing all they can to lessen the support for the Xmen, it would actually be kind of funny if Fox pulled this. Considering the Apocalypse story and maybe having alien godlike celestials jump starting evolution, and the fact that the Xmen movie is hitting theaters first.... they could really make Inhumans seems like a ripoff, though its not but still the nonreaders who only know about the movies would be fooled

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: Marvel is definitely worse. Fox is trying to give us what we wan't, while Marvel is downgrading the X-MEN and punishing fans for a feud we have no say in.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By william300

@hawk2916: I just have a hard time buying him saying that mutants are superior and say the Holocaust is proof that mankind will do the same to mutants, when the Nazi officer who destroyed his life was a mutant.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One nazi officer didn't destroy his life, the nazi party committing genocide on a particular race of people destroyed his life, it also showed him how human kind reacts to groups of people that pose a threat or our just different, you have to look past the one Nazi and see the bigger picture he does not want what happened to the Jews to happen to mutants. When he was a child during the holocaust he did not have the power to prevent or end the horrors that happened to his people, but now he does and he will do anything to stop another holocaust from happen to his people.

JasonBriggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not really.

I'm probably alone on this, but I don't like how the X-Men movies handled his backstory. It was fine in the very first movie, but I started disliking it after First Class.