User Lists: 5

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By MagneticStorm

Honestly the most epic Phoenix scene we get is in a brief flash back that was prior to Jean... the rest is "The Last Stand" Obliteration action but on a much smaller scale with a few "that's pretty cool" moments. Magneto's feats were underwhelming, the CGI for Storm's lightning was a joke as was Storm herself. Sophie Turner & Michael Fassbender were great, nobody else wanted to be there. The highlight for me was how Jean struggles with the force inside of her.

In short this is really X-MEN: "JEAN GREY'S TRAUMA"

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly the most epic Phoenix scene we get is in a brief flash back that was prior to Jean... the rest is "The Last Stand" Obliteration action but on a much smaller scale with a few "that's pretty cool" moments. Magneto's feats were underwhelming, the CGI for Storm's lightning was a joke as was Storm herself. Sophie Turner & Michael Fassbender were great, nobody else wanted to be there. The highlight for me was how Jean struggles with the force inside of her.

Magneto had like no close quarters feats before this dont really see how he was underwhelming.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By MagneticStorm

He went from controlling metal world wide in "Apocalypse" (no he was not amped by Apocalypse), picking up a Baseball Stadium in "DOFP", effortlessly stopping and throwing dozens of missiles and picking up a submarine in "First Class", lifted the Golden Gate Bridge with God knows how many cars on it in "The Last Stand" now here we are at the "Grand Finale" and i'm supposed to be satisfied by casually thrown little pieces of metal because it was in close quarters? If you liked it good for you! I'm just giving my honest opinion.

MrNihal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He went from controlling metal world wide in "Apocalypse" (no he was not amped by Apocalypse), picking up a Baseball Stadium in "DOFP", effortlessly stopping and throwing dozens of missiles and picking up a submarine in "First Class", lifted the Brooklyn Bridge with God knows how many cars on it in "The Last Stand" now here we are at the "Grand Finale" and i'm supposed to be satisfied by casually thrown little pieces of metal because it was in close quarters? If you liked it good for you! I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Lol.That sounds bad.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By cattlebattle

I wasn't terrible...it wasn't particularly good either unfortunately.

There is a lot of problems with it that I won't go into now, however, I will flex on how much I dislike the Phoenix.

The original concept, which was also the best concept IMO, was that Jean with Phoenix powers was just the full extent of her powers, she was a god basically but the power got out of control and she feared for what her life would be like with no control over her godhood and killed herself. Then they retconned it to be a space a avatar and things became extremely convoluted and it takes away from Jean's character as she would just be possessed by an evil demon basically or an alternate personality. This is what they went with in this film. They didn't even have the Phoenix speak through Jean or anything, it just apparently dredged up her memories and had her more angry than she normally would be, it was sort of riding the fence between the X3 Jean and space avatar Jean.

Nobody can ever do the Phoenix right I feel. Even the cartoons have had some weird takes on it. The Phoenix should just be Jean's full potential realized and as she realizes her godhood she becomes more distant and austere making her the antagonist. Inspirations I would point to are Luc Besson's "Lucy" or "Akira" when handling it.The route they always go down with it is like a bad soap opera.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I tried going in without expectations, but there were just so many bad choices. The non-descript alien shapeshifters didn't belong here at all, especially Jessica Chastain's character...what a drag. How amazing would it have been if we got the opulent Shi'ar, Majestrix Lilandra and the Imperial Guard? Even if she were simply flanked by Gladiator and Oracle. Speaking of opulence...

...Genosha was a joke. We're talking about a community of mutants lead by the Master of Magnetism and it looks like the place was built by the Swiss Family Robinson. PS, What the heck did Selene and Red Lotus have to do with ANYTHING? She's just another telepath with knives and he has prehensile dreads? Why even bother naming them in the credits if they're practically an entirely new character? Would have made more sense for Psylocke and Angel to be by his side after Apocalypse, but I guess all the special effects went to Phoenix...and let's be honest, the effects where pretty lame. Storm's lightning always looked like it was maybe the first power you get when playing an electric avatar in any game.

Maybe in 5+ years we'll get this story retold with some sense of decency respecting the source material.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was boring. I hate that they made the phoenix a cosmic entity as for the movies it worked so much better that it was simply Jeans full powers manifesting like in Last stand. Maybe they thought staying truer to the comics would gain them more respect, IDK. She also didn't seem all that powerful. She seemed more powerful in Last Stand. They did Storm dirty more dirty than they did her in apocalypse. I mean what was with that terrible CGI lightning? Honestly most of mutants don't do anything in this film.

For them to have went back and did reshoots the film is still boring. I can't imagine it being worse.

Lan_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Lan_Fan

It's probably the worst CBM I've ever seen. Written worse than Justice League, but it has better CGI. The actors were clearly done with the movie, literally the only one who could keep a straight face while delivering those corny lines and movements was Michael Fassbender.

One of those movies that are so bad, cringy, and corny that you can't help yourself from laughing out loud while watching it. I was actually entertained by that aspect of the film.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought the movie was boring. I hate that they made the phoenix a cosmic entity as for the movies it worked so much better that it was simply Jeans full powers manifesting like in Last stand. Maybe they thought staying truer to the comics would gain them more respect, IDK. She also didn't seem all that powerful. She seemed more powerful in Last Stand. They did Storm dirty more dirty than they did her in apocalypse. I mean what was with that terrible CGI lightning? Honestly most of mutants don't do anything in this film.

For them to have went back and did reshoots the film is still boring. I can't imagine it being worse.

How exactly is she just now encountering the Phoenix Force in the 90s when she already manifested it at the end of Apocalypse in the 80s? Are they expecting the audience to just pretend that didn't happen?

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That bad? I guess I’ll save some money then.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was okay. There seemed to be some pacing issues early on and the antagonists were underdeveloped. Most of the cast still managed to give good performances, though.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay so from what I hear the movie was bad. But what feats did Jean get? I plan on seeing the movie later this week and don’t care about spoilers.

chloros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: because the Force was never called the Phoenix and didn't manifest as such until Jean shed her body. She was already "Phoenix" and like the comic before the Feron retcon the Force got the idea of manifesting as a Phoenix from Jean, not the other way around.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not seen it, but hearing everyone talk about it. I guess i'm going to have to spend my $12 on this movie -_-

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewatcherking: SPOILERS!

1. Jean tanks a stab to the chest.

2. She disintegrates someone X3 style, puts them back together and disintegrates them again.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofallhumans: SPOILERS

Jean's final battle against the generic aliens she disintegrates two of them and puts them back together. As underwhelming as the movie is, that was pretty awesome...

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrNihal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal: if I don't remember it it's probably because it didn't happen. I've watched the movie a number of times since Wednesday night I don't recall anything like that.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofallhumans: So you think I just made it up -_- lol! I totally would never tell you to go to Fmovies.to to see the movie yourself and re watch that part a million times like I totally didn't do...

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was meh

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@magneticstorm: I rewatched it I still didn't see her disintegrate, reassemble and then re-disintegrate any of the aliens. She did reverse the molecular deconstruction of someone though.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God_Spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#129 God_Spawn  Moderator

I’m going to drop a review tonight.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilMayhem666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: Apparently, Jessica Chastain was going to play Lilandra back when this was a two-parter. But Fox condensed it into one in late pre-production.

The production of this movie was a disaster.

DevilMayhem666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan: @magneticstorm:

I will never understand how some people can say that the actors phoned it in. I can only understand JLaw, but everyone else seems to be trying.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By PyroFN

@thunderscream: “How exactly is she just now encountering the Phoenix Force in the 90s when she already manifested it at the end of Apocalypse in the 80s? Are they expecting the audience to just pretend that didn't happen?”

Not entirely certain. I theorize it is the X3 plot, where her powers can form a Phoenix and that train of imagination transforms the formless entity into the Phoenix Force.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God_Spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 God_Spawn  Moderator

@pyrofn: Already done.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/gs-review-dark-phoenix-spoilers-2028124/#js-message-22023401

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this Movie THAT BAD??? Damn....

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By MagneticStorm

@mooty_pass:Only thing badder than that movie is big mama Rasputia... mhh mhh gOOd!

DevilMayhem666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She also didn't seem all that powerful. She seemed more powerful in Last Stand.

That's because the filmmakers wanted the movie to be about an empowered woman taking control of her destiny instead of being Jean becoming a villain like it was marketed.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched the movie. I thought it was okish. Like not worse than many of the mediocre MCU installments. Not sure why there's so much trashing. It's not on Logan or FC level, but the movie had some moments. And I can even say beyond the clumsy cut there may hide a great movie if all was done right.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hate it receives aside, is it worth watching? Haven't seen it yet.

God_Spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 God_Spawn  Moderator
adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While everyone in this movie was underpowered, compared to Apocalypse especially, I'd be lying if I'd tell I didn't enjoy some parts of the train battle.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Watching Maggieboy demolish people like this is just pure joy. Shit like this could've made First Class a perfection.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the magnet-fu was sort of corny.

I mean, Magneto could have just levitated himself out of the car and crushed it like he did in the last gif, or turned the entire car into shards and rained death on them, and why would he need to swing his arms around like that, he mentally controls metal, right??

It just felt like they wanted to give Fassbender a physical action scene because he never really had one.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By adamTRMM

@cattlebattle:

The metal fu was 100% fabulous. But yeah, after he operated on planetary level in Apocalypse it was quite a downgrade. Tho, everyone seemed less powerful in this movie. Like budget was cut or something. As I mentioned before, something like this should've been in First Class when he was still operating on much smaller scale. About the logic behind that, initially he couldn't just endanger other mutants with such tour de force, but the second he was positive that the area was clear, well the last gif happened. Works for me. Besides, Fassneto action scene is still good enough for a justification as far as I'm concerned lolz

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm:

I don't know it just looks and seems weird for Magneto to be fighting like that.

One thing the X-men movies have always suffered from is director's who are not very good at action. The use of powers and fighting is always extremely dumbed down or silly. Like whenever Storm used to take off to fly she used always put her hands out and kind of levitate vertically, or how Xavier always needs to put his fingers to his head in the newer films, or instead of just creating an electromagnetic force field Magneto has to block shit with a piece of metal.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By adamTRMM

@cattlebattle:

When it comes to new age CGI heavy, god level MMA fu, and what not action? Sure. But while I personally love that shit, I also kinda respected the more creative and grounded usage from the first movies. Like plastic prison break for example. About the visual demonstration of power usage, well, these movies didn't have them magnetic waves or astral plane drawn on pages, so there was a different approach to that which I personally didn't mind. I agree with most of this tho. Funnily enough, Singer did seem to try and cut loose with the powers in Apocalypse. Some aspects were done right, some... not so much, again.

But that sequence I posted above is simply pure joy to me. Forgetting it's the Magneto that did already raise force fields and shook the planet to its foundations...

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By DevilMayehm666

@theinsufferable:

Dunno if you have already watched it but it depends on how you approach the movie. Don't expect it to be about fighting a big bad like it was marketed to be because it was never meant be a classic superhero summer movie according to the filmmakers. Jean is the protagonist rather than the antagonist and they portrayed her more as being a schizophrenic than corrupted (that was their intent).

It was a very mismarketed movie and that had lead to a lot of people misreading the story, plot, and tone.