• 59 results
#1 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's talk origins and backstories in X-Men. (Yes my first thread in a year and a half)

The X-Men franchise is made up of 100s of characters with 100s of the most unique powers, backgrounds and origins in comics. And despite the seemingly obvious trope that all mutants just wake with their powers one day and after being shunned by the world decide to be a hero.... that really isnt the case for most mutants and the things they go through before we meet them are often some of the most interesting parts of their characters.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!

There are also concepts like the dangerroom, the seige perilous and the sentinels that we've seen touched on and grown to become hugely important and vast parts of the franchise.

So here's the challenge name the origins or background you think are :

1.Simply the Best-

2.Were revealed in the best story-

3.Were the most interesting-

And finally,

4. The origin you found to be the worst (utter trash)

Bonus - (What's an Origin/backstory you'd like to change?)

--------------------------

I'll go first.

The best origin for me is Magneto. And I'm not going to deep dive because it probably is for a lot of people do to it's layers. From Holocaust, to the death of his daughter to meeting and splitting from Xavier it's a background of a man who kept trying to live his life but kept being shown the worst of humanity.

2. Honestly I'm torn between saying something controversial like Hope Summers or something thought provoking like the reveal of Gambits.

3. Honestly the Summers brothers were always the most interesting background despite them not really being shaped as much by it. Parachuting from a plane where they think their parents are dying in only to later their parents were abducted by aliens and they have a little psycho brother.

4. Utter trash....also the youngest summers brother.

Bonus- I've always just wanted Polaris to have been raised by Magneto in some way. She could still be the same X-Man she is...just with some history. Also Psylokes backstory is irrelevant to the point it hurts.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#2 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: im too lazy to think of new origins story......

all i will say is emma's been retcon so many times......i dont know whats what anymore.......so has cyclops for that matter.....

the only one that has stayed the "boring" same is jean grey(u know with annie dying and jean having "survivor's guilt"(sounds like someone else i know hint hint cyclops)

oh now i remember if i wrote a kinda new origin story for jean it would be that jean was kinda responsible for magneto and xavier splitting up.......heres why......magneto finds out that xavier took jean's "god given" tp powers away(xavier did with the horrible excuse.....jeans not ready) it was the final straw that pushed magneto into creating "brotherhood of evil mutants"(going to war with the humans and thinking mutants should rule) and for xavier creating "x-men" wanting peace between the mutants/humans

oh then there was jean grey again that cause wolverine and cyclops' "schism" with the whole "if jean was here, who do u think she would be more scared of" in which cyclops blasts wolverine while the teens fight a big new sentinel

#3 Posted by AsheTDust (1839 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The best? Magneto. In my opinion no other character comes close.

2. Best story? Rachel Grey in Days Of Future Past. I’m a sucker for tragic origins and Rache and Mags have suffered more than anyone except maybe Illyana. I don’t count Karma because at this point she’s had such bad luck its like a punchline. Bad luck might be her second mutation.

3. Most interesting? The Stepford Cuckoos. I’ve really grown to like them over time and wish we’d see them used more.

4. Utter trash? Wolverine or Cable. Too complicated or convoluted.

#4 Posted by HAWK2916 (4859 posts) - - Show Bio

There are so many origins I would like to tweek or change it's hard to say.

1. I agree that the best is Magneto.

2. Best story reveal I think would have to be Rachel Grey, though for me I thought Domino had a great story although I can't remember the reveal (so must not have been that great huh) Also torn a bit but also in the best story not that I'm a great fan of this ultimately but I thought Vulcan's reveal in Deadly Genesis was badass. Hope Summers was pretty cool too.

3. Most interesting......drawing a blank here. Bishop maybe. Rogue too.

4. Cable was just just bad.

Bonus.. I would tweek alot of the villains and their motivations. Also some Xmen like Monet and Gambit.

Damn this was hard. Damn you @koays for making put effort into thinking. I usually just post off the dome no thought at all lol

#5 Posted by darthphoenix (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

Rachel's origin. Saddest and most tragic

#6 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashetdust: i love magneto as a good guy.......he should stay good.....if only the other x-men would accept him

#7 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally deciding to pull your own weight Mutant God, good to see.

Best Origin: This is hard everyone has said magneto and it's more than likely true, i do love the Summer's brothers and even the small but tragic Chamber blowing out his chest when his powers came to be. Just to be different Ill Say Cable here. I love his story, i love the fact you see him as a kid then the whole Adventures of Cyclops and the Phoenix or whatever stories where they raise him. So yea, lets do Cable here just to be different.

Best Reveal: rachel is a good answer, i liked the Messiah stories too with Hope but Rachel is number one here, maybe one day Koays will learn how to treat her like it and she will not be running off on him with fuzzy elfs

Most Interesting: magneto? cyclops? rachel? cable? bishop? so many to choose from and hey no one has even Mentioned Storm who was pretty damn good, for me the most interesting I will actually go with Rogue her origin basically defined her character for like ever, struggling with not being able to touch anyone , the memories of miss marvel in her head and her powers as well. So yea go rogue!

Total Garbage: scarlet witch and quicksilver not being magnetos kids

Whom would I change? Wolverine's maybe? Wolverine as crazy and twisted as it is it has spun alot of stories and I really liked the idea of weapon x (its been twisted and bent out of shape much like the phoenix but the original concept is cool) So yea maybe simplify it a bit

A few side notes: I really liked Sage story, it was like back in and made little sense in some ways but I liked her wish she was used more. And I love cannonball and his simple big family roots, just wish there was a little more too it (i like that he was hinted to be an external then they just dropped it)and i really liked Juggernaut actually, i like the idea of Xavier's jealous bully brother

#8 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916: Lol all those rookie posters with their "Do you like blue costumes?" and "Jeen ate a grape, how does that make you feel?" threads...theyve been taking it too easy on you guys.

#9 Posted by PyroFN (6170 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Origin Story: I’d have to say Storm as told by how Claremont told her backstory, especially when she first met Xavier when she was invited to the X-Men.

Most Interesting: Phoenix origin story. Most people don’t have a problem with the Phoenix, but rather with the way current writers use it from what I’ve attained in their explanation wow it. Looking at the character itself, there is not only a lot of potential for billions of years for hosts in the past and future, but there are unanswered questions that still could be explored that could define the way things are in the Marvel Universe.

Revealed in the best story: Hope Summers in Messiah Complex or Shadow King in the Muir Island Saga. Honestly, there aren’t many good story arcs where characters are introduced noteworthy these days and back then, very few times have writers ever introduced a character in a specific arc. Like Storms origin in an issue sometime before the Phoenix Saga really started (you know cuz Jean was in the hospital), th second X-Men teams origins briefly touched on in an introductory issue to the next team (not technically a story arc), or the Sentinels.

Worst backstory: Oh boy, where do I begin? Madelyne Pryor in Inferno being a clone to Jean Grey. (Madelyne is an interesting character, but the revelation of being a clone is so cliché that it would be hard to pull off anyway) Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had changed backstories for no good reason and now they’re backstory is more convoluted than ever.

Backstory I would tweak: Jeans backstory could use some tweaking. There is nothing inherently wrong with her current backstory, it is actually a solid backstory for Jeans character, but it could use a little more drama, if I had to be honest. I would also tweak Revanche to be more relevant than just some ninja who swapped brains and is now dead.

#10 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn said:

Best Origin Story: I’d have to say Storm as told by how Claremont told her backstory, especially when she first met Xavier when she was invited to the X-Men.

Most Interesting: Phoenix origin story. Most people don’t have a problem with the Phoenix, but rather with the way current writers use it from what I’ve attained in their explanation wow it. Looking at the character itself, there is not only a lot of potential for billions of years for hosts in the past and future, but there are unanswered questions that still could be explored that could define the way things are in the Marvel Universe.

Revealed in the best story: Hope Summers in Messiah Complex or Shadow King in the Muir Island Saga. Honestly, there aren’t many good story arcs where characters are introduced noteworthy these days and back then, very few times have writers ever introduced a character in a specific arc. Like Storms origin in an issue sometime before the Phoenix Saga really started (you know cuz Jean was in the hospital), th second X-Men teams origins briefly touched on in an introductory issue to the next team (not technically a story arc), or the Sentinels.

Worst backstory: Oh boy, where do I begin? Madelyne Pryor in Inferno being a clone to Jean Grey. (Madelyne is an interesting character, but the revelation of being a clone is so cliché that it would be hard to pull off anyway) Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had changed backstories for no good reason and now they’re backstory is more convoluted than ever.

Backstory I would tweak: Jeans backstory could use some tweaking. There is nothing inherently wrong with her current backstory, it is actually a solid backstory for Jeans character, but it could use a little more drama, if I had to be honest. I would also tweak Revanche to be more relevant than just some ninja who swapped brains and is now dead.

Good to see some one else agrees with me on that

#11 Posted by Invain (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

Koays created a thread? Is it 2015??

1. Mags

2. Magneto's original reveal in X-Men 150 was pretty good. Cable had a nice twist, as did Rachel.

3. I thought Wolverine's past seemed to be the most interesting, up until they ruined it in the 2000s.

4. I would probably pick a character no one remembers. Or one of Liefeld's characters. Like Shatterstar.

#12 Posted by adamTRMM (9144 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto's origin transcends comics. It's simply in a league of its own. Hard to think of anything else when you have something so outstanding and phenomenal...

#13 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn: @mcklayn: @invain: @adamtrmm:

@koays: im too lazy to think of new origins story......

all i will say is emma's been retcon so many times......i dont know whats what anymore.......so has cyclops for that matter.....

the only one that has stayed the "boring" same is jean grey(u know with annie dying and jean having "survivor's guilt"(sounds like someone else i know hint hint cyclops)

oh now i remember if i wrote a kinda new origin story for jean it would be that jean was kinda responsible for magneto and xavier splitting up.......heres why......magneto finds out that xavier took jean's "god given" tp powers away(xavier did with the horrible excuse.....jeans not ready) it was the final straw that pushed magneto into creating "brotherhood of evil mutants"(going to war with the humans and thinking mutants should rule) and for xavier creating "x-men" wanting peace between the mutants/humans

oh then there was jean grey again that cause wolverine and cyclops' "schism" with the whole "if jean was here, who do u think she would be more scared of" in which cyclops blasts wolverine while the teens fight a big new sentinel

my idea for jean grey is best.......COME ON MARVEL, MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW!!!

LOL REMEMBER MARVEL NOW AND NOW ITS IS MARVEL LEGACY????? OMG maybe this is the end of marvel continuity and they will reboot the whole thing.......like the "they hold infinity: the countdown begins feb 2018"

#14 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: I really hate the entire idea of a company wide reboot, it almost cheapens certain things in my opinion. ON the other hand everything marvel is doing is cheapening things and working around a reboot in a more confusing and demoralizing way honestly so at this point I would welcome a reboot.

#15 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: I really hate the entire idea of a company wide reboot, it almost cheapens certain things in my opinion. ON the other hand everything marvel is doing is cheapening things and working around a reboot in a more confusing and demoralizing way honestly so at this point I would welcome a reboot.

it would be fun to see jott again and emma as a bad guy......wait a minute!!!!! thats already happening in x-men blue lolololol

the only thing i fear of a reboot is jean picking logan over scott.......kinda like how superman and wonder woman is dating, which prior they never did before reboot 0.o

#16 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

it would be fun to see jott again and emma as a bad guy......wait a minute!!!!! thats already happening in x-men blue lolololol

the only thing i fear of a reboot is jean picking logan over scott.......kinda like how superman and wonder woman is dating, which prior they never did before reboot 0.o

I enjoyed Emma and Scott honestly i like Scott and jean its a hard call for me. Regardless of sexual partners i like Emma in the ranks of the X men, same as i do magneto sure they were great villains but them among the ranks of the good guys give some animosity and tension to the comics that can be fun to read. Kitty and Emma together is great Imo i love the catty banter if done right. So yea, a reboot looses all that history and all that you have built up and can do whatever they want which i normally dont like but since they are basically doing whatever they want regardless of if ti makes sense or not then why not just reboot

#17 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@invain: shut up invain. Honestly though you'd waste your one origin change on a liefeld monster?

#18 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@invain: shut up invain. Honestly though you'd waste your one origin change on a liefeld monster?

way back then i never kept up with who wrote what or made up whom, i was you know a kid and all. So who all did liefeld make up?

#19 Posted by Invain (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I meant that as worst, not one that I'd change.

#20 Posted by Invain (5147 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:
way back then i never kept up with who wrote what or made up whom, i was you know a kid and all. So who all did liefeld make up?

He created Cable, Deadpool, Domino, Copycat, Feral, Shatterstar, Strife, Forearm, Gideon, Wildside, Thumblinia, etc. Most of the characters that debuted late in New Mutants or early in X-Force.

#21 Posted by hyiena (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue and Magik's back stories are pretty good.

#22 Posted by HAWK2916 (4859 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn: welcome to the dark side. Lol

You know this sh@t needs to change and we drastically need a reboot when @mcklayn now feels that way.

#23 Edited by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@invain: gotcha. Cause in my mind changing Shatterstar (whose original origin is more meh then anything) doesn't do anything since there would still be another 9-10 Liefeld visions that are just as meh.

#24 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@invain: I mean Deadpool, Cable are pretty much home runs and Domino and Shatterstar isn't horrible the others are pretty fail but meh

@hawk2916 said:

@mcklayn: welcome to the dark side. Lol

You know this sh@t needs to change and we drastically need a reboot when @mcklayn now feels that way.

lol your so right, i fought it on this forum for long enough .... i feel empty now

#25 Posted by HAWK2916 (4859 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn: lol yeah. I'm still healing from some of the wounds you've inflicted on me in our battles about this

#26 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@hawk2916 said:

@mcklayn: lol yeah. I'm still healing from some of the wounds you've inflicted on me in our battles about this

:D well when we fight we fight with all we have Amirite? atleast i have left my mark on this forum with some people, glad to know that lol

#27 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashetdust: @pyrofn: @hawk2916: @koays: @mcklayn: ok something that bugs me is..........marvel keeps changing and adding emma's backstory since morrison's

i know i must be one in a few but i would really like to know how tony stark and emma frost happened......i know from what they said it was just a couple of one night stands and then they promised to keep away from each other????? why? was this when she was still part of hellfire club? or left hellfire club? or before gen X started? lots of unanswered questions

#28 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

I would assume while she was working her way up the Hellfire club, i figured she had alot of one night stands with alot of rich powerful people

#29 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

I would assume while she was working her way up the Hellfire club, i figured she had alot of one night stands with alot of rich powerful people

lol i always thought she used her telepathy to make it look like she slept with all those "rich powerful man"(also showed it in the movie verse in x-men first class

Loading Video...

#30 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: that might be all she did with Tony and he just doesnt know any better lol

lol......i remember Ult jean tell teen jeen that "no matter what universe never look instead tony stark's head"(from bendis run) cause nothing but debauchery in there........u know like hes supposed to be the "ultimate playboy"

#32 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: that might be all she did with Tony and he just doesnt know any better lol

lol......i remember Ult jean tell teen jeen that "no matter what universe never look instead tony stark's head"(from bendis run) cause nothing but debauchery in there........u know like hes supposed to be the "ultimate playboy"

No Caption Provided

That is Tony's reply to any telepaths that try to enter lol

#33 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn: I'm pretty sure there's a tape of what happened with Tony. Freaks.

#34 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@mcklayn: I'm pretty sure there's a tape of what happened with Tony. Freaks.

every good Diva has to have a sex tape

#35 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@mcklayn: Yea. And Tony is such a diva

yea hes the Kim Kardashian of Marvel

#37 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:
@koays said:

@mcklayn: Yea. And Tony is such a diva

yea hes the Kim Kardashian of Marvel

lol

although i hate to bring this up but this is what marvel thinks about x-men

No Caption Provided

#38 Posted by PyroFN (6170 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: That is how they were pictured as for a long time. And people doubted us when we said that the X-Men were being demonized.

#39 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: That is how they were pictured as for a long time. And people doubted us when we said that the X-Men were being demonized.

:D

marvel just made cause they sold the movie/tv rights of X-men(and FF) to fox and it made fox alot of money ..........marvel tried to ruin x-men with setting them against the avengers and inhumans but it made the x-men all that cooler and they dont take any S**t from anyone.........they also tried to ruin x-men by turning cyclops into rightclops.......hell they even killed off rightclops and wolverine and the x-men are still standing STRONG

#40 Posted by McKlayn (2675 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: Rightclops? Lol but Cyclops was Right, the whole Avengers thing was stupid they argued with him and ending up doing exactly what he said to do to start with <.<

#41 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcklayn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Rightclops? Lol but Cyclops was Right, the whole Avengers thing was stupid they argued with him and ending up doing exactly what he said to do to start with <.<

i 100% agree ........what did the Avengers know about the phoenix NOTHING <<<<<<<they should have stayed out of it and let the x-men deal with it ...

then they had woverine join the Avengers but Cap found out that logan wanted to kill hope so Cap pushes him out of a plane lol <.<

#42 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#43 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

Best origin story is Ororo Munroe aka Storm. I love the fact that her mother is a princess who eloped with an African-American "photographer?"., decided to stay in Cairo to make young Ororo's life as an African-American white-haired girl easier. Unfortunately, a happy family became short-lived when a plane crashed and killed her parents (it makes me cry especially that Ororo was still very young to be alone : ( )

Most interesting things about the X-Men > the Phoenix story, Apocalypse and his four horsemen, Phalanx, the opposing principles between Professor X and Magneto, the coming of the Giant-sized X-Men to make the X-Men more colorful, etc

#44 Posted by cattlebattle (17679 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Simply the Best-

Wolverine hands down. Due to his retarded aging and his memory implants/now amnesia you can write the character into virtually any scenario over the past 150 years, which writers have...sometimes to his detriment. Also the whole Weapon X was very influential to super hero lore.

2.Were revealed in the best story-

Is this English??

3.Were the most interesting-

Magik's back story is pretty interesting all things considered. Getting sucked into a demon realm via weird, Lovecraftian, Bermuda Triangle city and spending years harnessing dark magic with perverted versions of your older brother's friends and allegedly being abused by an analogue for the devil only to learn how to manifest a bad ass sword to whoop his ass. Pretty original.

4. The origin you found to be the worst (utter trash)

Cable. Granted, Cable was originally just supposed to be some sort of mercenary that probably would have had some ties to time travel but, the hackneyed relationship to the Summers family is awful.

Bonus - (What's an Origin/backstory you'd like to change?)

Haha. Lots of characters. There are several characters whose histories are outdated, Professor X's history could be more streamlined for one.

#45 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: are u making these ridiculous threads up so u can try to pass me in the x-boards.......cause it an'it never going to happen LOL "long live the queen, long must she rein" @ashetdust

@cattlebattle: i just read a bio in Xavier's life.......he was in the army with "carmen pryde"(kitty's dad) and a "youngish" logan LOL

Best origin story is Ororo Munroe aka Storm. I love the fact that her mother is a princess who eloped with an African-American "photographer?"., decided to stay in Cairo to make young Ororo's life as an African-American white-haired girl easier. Unfortunately, a happy family became short-lived when a plane crashed and killed her parents (it makes me cry especially that Ororo was still very young to be alone : ( )

Most interesting things about the X-Men > the Phoenix story, Apocalypse and his four horsemen, Phalanx, the opposing principles between Professor X and Magneto, the coming of the Giant-sized X-Men to make the X-Men more colorful, etc

i thought her parents died in a apartment fire/explosion ...........wasnt Ororo stuck in the rubble causing her "claustrophobia"

#46 Posted by cattlebattle (17679 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought her parents died in a apartment fire/explosion ...........wasnt Ororo stuck in the rubble causing her "claustrophobia"

A plane crashed into her house during the Suez conflict. Effectively making Storm in her 60s but still somehow not 60.

#47 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Bah "Which characters backgrounds were revealed in the best story"

Tying characters to real world events is the recipe for great origins....and poor retcons.

#48 Posted by cattlebattle (17679 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@cattlebattle: Bah "Which characters backgrounds were revealed in the best story"

Tying characters to real world events is the recipe for great origins....and poor retcons.

I still don't understand the question. Are you asking what is the best story that revealed a character's origin?? Are there a lot of those?? Most characters origins are revealed over time, bit by bit in other stories, or just revealed in a one off issue.

#49 Posted by Koays (11248 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Well, first it would be a character who we have with us for a while and who we finally get the back ground of. So I'm asking which story that had a background revealed in it was the best.

Like someone like Maddie who's background is told as part of Inferno.

Or how we meet Corsair and have his background told.

Or just a good one off issue that is solely dedicated to a backstory.

Like I really like Peter David's explanation of Layla Miller. And its alluded too across his whole run, but the actual issue when the pieces are put together isnt as good.

Or how you can dislike Vulcan or Dangers backstories but feel different about the overall storyarc that it was revealed in.

#50 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (9279 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: i liked jean's background story of annie gets killed and shocks jean in a coma........but jean never mentions it, we only know from classic x-men, when maddie thought it was her story, and in phoenix resurrection

its not mention much cause it seems like a downer