Wonder Woman Earth One Volume 2 Spoilers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17

Wow, no matter where and what Wonder Woman iteration, Hippolyta just can never catch a break; even though I saw something similar to that before, it still traumatizes me; her mistake was showing favoritism.

This was a very good update for Issue 168 of Wonder Woman, volume 1, but, this Dr. Psycho made the wrong choice; the scene was cut just before he could probably give himself an origin story. This was a very good story, indeed, and was a breath of fresh air; for some reason, this Dr. Psycho is completely broken and torn; his reaction was a bit different from the original, pre-crisis Dr. Psycho, but, understandable; just curious to see what steps took place to create him.

No Caption Provided

But, in all honesty, that scene involving Hippolyta just completely ripped a lot of things from me anew, and that was the whole of the story for me. They were a peace loving people. Wonder Woman showed true strength in extending her forgiveness; that was the touchstone of the story; that's the forgiveness display that Jesus expects of us.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

LOVED IT! This is the Doctor Psycho we need in the regular book, he was so realistically creepy and his eyes were mesmerizing.

I know this is just me, but I kind of got prettied up Azzarello vibes from Morrison. He was faithful to the source material while at the same time showing how silly, hollow and hypocritical aspects of the mythos and Amazonian ideology are, from a cynical male perspective. Yet instead of angering me as a long term WW reader it was good to see the ideals were able to withstand him challenging them, despite their seemingly airy fairy psychobabble nature. They're strong as steel.

Now there's something else as a Black man I noticed that no one else will probably pick up on, but there's a slight air of white supremacy acting as an undercurrent. This Steve Trevor is Black, fine, but suddenly, apparently because of that, he's no longer worthy of being Wonder Woman's love interest and has been relegated to the friend zone. He's only Black for the sake of being provocative. It's like Morrison is saying "look at this big handsome Black buck I've neutered, he my have a bbc but it's totally useless here, in this story funny looking white guys with big brains get all the nookie!". I say that because Steve serves the same function to Diana as Nubia does to Hippolyta...the loyal helpmate there to provide a little color while propping up a main character. I may be oversensitive because I didn't like the way Nubia got shushed by an underling and went quiet with no argument. But anyway...

I still loved it, the Yanick Paquette art was dope! Watch this interview where he talks about his inspirations and the borders, it adds a new level of enjoyment to the storytelling when you know what to look for.

Loading Video...

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dshipp17

@scorpio_cassadine: Yes, isn't his art quite similar to Terry Dodson's art? That's what I like most about it. But, Dr. Psycho is supposed to be more of a sympathetic character as opposed to a smooth talker to women; actually, due to his issues, he should have stunted interpersonal skills; and his looks were a bit above what they should have been; but, it was just his below the surface broken character that Morrison shined with, except, the question would be, why would this character need to have that problem? But, it's a start; I had to think about that more, after a few days, while I digested the situation with Hippolyta; but, this wrong nature of Dr. Psycho, hearing it from a distance, almost made me skip, as, it's all wrong with the very serious situation of men who can have stunted interpersonal skills derived from their struggles created by issues with looks; but, Morrison did this iteration of Dr. Psycho well, it's just a matter of why he's a broken character, where he's actually a different class of men, although somewhat similar to the class of men that Dr. Psycho is supposed to portray and represent, a class that, because of this, still has not received any spotlight; perhaps the main issue will get Dr. Psycho right, while using the skill with which Morrison gave to the character; only his origin story got missed.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Archizooom

I loved it, the world-building in WW:Earth-1 is exquisite, Earth-1 is so, so much more appealing to me than Wonder Woman’s Earth-Prime and Cinematic universes. The Amazons of Earth-1 actually have something worthwhile to offer, despite the flaws in their thinking which Morrison lays bare, this makes them interesting for a change. I really cannot wait to read the third and final chapter of this story

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comic again shows how awesome Amazon having technology is. The art was really good. Dr Psycho was creepy.

Everything else is mediocre. The story slowly builds up, only for it get rushed halfway through. Dr Psycho defeat felt really underwhelming and stupid. All the other characters except Dr Psycho were two dimensional. Death of one important character felt very underwhelming. There is also no outstanding display of power from Diana.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

@geraldofvengerberg said:

This comic again shows how awesome Amazon having technology is. The art was really good. Dr Psycho was creepy.

Everything else is mediocre. The story slowly builds up, only for it get rushed halfway through. Dr Psycho defeat felt really underwhelming and stupid. All the other characters except Dr Psycho were two dimensional. Death of one important character felt very underwhelming. There is also no outstanding display of power from Diana.

No outstanding display of power? She jumped through a pick-up truck's windshield incapacitating the driver, casually tore off the hood like it was tissue paper, then ripped out the engine and threw it at another truck causing it to wreck into a car, all while smiling and not messing up her good clothes. We know she's fast, we know she's strong but rarely do we get such a visual feat that combines both so effortlessly. I was here for it.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Why? this is supposed to be a retelling of Golden age Wonder Woman

Already Morrison added Hercules as Diana's father, Maxwell Lord is again forced into WW story, Diana character is not from Golden age story instead we get I am superior to Human altitude Diana.

The entire premise is Government being afraid of Diana and Amazons, and Diana displaying God like power would have been perfect for story instead her being Spiderman level character.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Why? this is supposed to be a retelling of Golden age Wonder Woman

Already Morrison added Hercules as Diana's father, Maxwell Lord is again forced into WW story, Diana character is not from Golden age story instead we get I am superior to Human altitude Diana.

The entire premise is Government being afraid of Diana and Amazons, and Diana displaying God like power would have been perfect for story instead her being Spiderman level character.

You have a right to your opinion and I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not a retelling of, it's an inspired by and there were plenty of Golden Age stories without 'outstanding displays of power' as you see them. We got a cool Doctor Psycho, Paula Von Gunther with the great new name Uberfraulein, nazis, kangas, mental radios, venus girdles, space transformers, Queen Desira and her butterfly-winged venus girls, brainwashing, gender politics and a fresh examination of Amazon values with realistic introspection, but you're literally complaining Wonder Woman didn't lasso the sun (which was a fantastical one time only thing that defied logic as well as the laws of physics).

It's like we got served a five star meal and you're mad there wasn't gravy on the mashed potatoes, focus on the cake and ice cream instead.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: The power display is least of the problem. The main problem is the story is rushed and every character other than Psycho felt two dimensional. I loved technology and other Golden age mythos. It is definitely not a five-star meal.

Don't bring logic and Physics into Comic books. I am not saying she should literally lasso the sun, just she should have bigger battles.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: If my memory serves me well, Morrison said he didn’t want Wonder Woman to fall head over heels for the the first guy she’s ever laid eyes on. And not that many people care for Steve, black or otherwise, as Wonder Woman’s love interest. For instance, in the new 52 he was just Diana’s ticket out of Paradise Island, and before that he was married to Etta so it’s not like Steve had never been friend-zoned before. Besides, he’s the one that (sort of) turned Wonder Woman down in Earth-1

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: The power display is least of the problem. The main problem is the story is rushed and every character other than Psycho felt two dimensional. I loved technology and other Golden age mythos. It is definitely not a five-star meal.

Don't bring logic and Physics into Comic books. I am not saying she should literally lasso the sun, just she should have bigger battles.

Okay, but I feel like you're the friend who ALWAYS sends something back at a restaurant. Morrison said he wanted to present Diana and the Amazons nonviolent conflict resolution and femininity that intentionally sets them apart from other comics of the era, that's why there's not a lot of fighting or bigger battles. There's more action in the second volume than the first and there's reportedly even more in the third. Maybe she'll lasso the sun in that one?

Kevinffinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: You have to admit, he has a point. Atleast in the power department. Now, Wonder Woman moving Suns (or anything planetary) is too insane but Prime Earth Wonder woman has better feats. There was no point in the story in which I was blown away by a display of power. None of the feats you mentioned were impressive by Wonder woman standards. But I accepted that the earth-1 WW are not meant to be as powerful.

As for the story, it was ok. Dr psycho wasn't all that impressive but good enough. I preferred the first issue. As I was reading, I was surprised to find out the issue was ending because I hadn't seen anything that I could call a climax.

This issue left me thinking "....ok"

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Hmmm, interesting. I'm deciding on whether to get it while it's on sale, but I'm not sure yet. Book one sucked, and was easily the worst Earth One book, so I had zero interest in the sequel. That being said, book one being so bad did put the bar really low so maybe it truly is an improvement. Hmmm, interesting indeed

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, interesting. I'm deciding on whether to get it while it's on sale, but I'm not sure yet. Book one sucked, and was easily the worst Earth One book, so I had zero interest in the sequel. That being said, book one being so bad did put the bar really low so maybe it truly is an improvement. Hmmm, interesting indeed

Volume 2 is definitely worth getting, at least from my taste; it has Dr. Psycho, as has been described, just a different version for the type of person that Marston designed him, as a boy who had to grow up and live as a man being mocked because of his looks.