Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
#1 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2114 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Wow! Someone has been paying attention to the stuff we say on message boards. This was like a love letter to Wonder Woman fans. Suddenly I'm not looking forward to G. Willow Wilson, Steve Orlando should be writing the book long term.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#2 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea this was a nice issue. It was general Philippus that trained her not Astarte (have no idea who that is). Diana had a good voice too, I like that little jab at the UN. I hope Orlando gives us a powerful Diana next issues as the story progresses into the main event.

#3 Posted by agent41 (15273 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea this was a nice issue. It was general Philippus that trained her not Astarte (have no idea who that is). Diana had a good voice too, I like that little jab at the UN. I hope Orlando gives us a powerful Diana next issues as the story progresses into the main event.

All of this. Very well said.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this was actually...good. Diana actually using her compassion and empathy to sympathise with Mayfly felt more like Diana's natural personality than any other writer has portrayed her in years. Orlando should be writing the new Wonder Woman series, he's an underrated talent that would benefit the character based on this issue.

#5 Posted by comicfan_60 (384 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue left me surprised in a very good way. Aside from the nonsense that mayfly was able to tag Diana, this was such a well written issue. Steve Orlando found the right voice for Diana and I am so glad he did. This issue is very important imo. This is one of the things that only Diana can do and this is what sets her apart from Batman and Superman. Diana always cares, doesn't matter if you are a villain or not and that is what we see here. This reminded me of the panel from Rucka's year one story where Diana feels sorry when she sees the suffering of people who attacked the mall.

#6 Posted by comicfan_60 (384 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: Yep a really nice issue. I think he used Astarte just to create that emotional moment at the end between mayfly and Diana. You can't just off Philippus like that.

#7 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: Yep a really nice issue. I think he used Astarte just to create that emotional moment at the end between mayfly and Diana. You can't just off Philippus like that.

I think so too and I hope not, Philippus was the main one that got her into it. Plus its important representation imo.

#8 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost forgot! This issue basically confirms that Amazons still have advance tech, we saw the purple healing ray and amazons exploring the stars on kangas. I'll post scans if need be.

#9 Posted by primebonnick (4284 posts) - - Show Bio

Good reviews so far i keep getting i guess i should buy then haven't in a while will i not understand the issue if i pick up from here? If so hw far do i have to go back?

#10 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

Good reviews so far i keep getting i guess i should buy then haven't in a while will i not understand the issue if i pick up from here? If so hw far do i have to go back?

All you need is issue 51 it stands alone so you haven't missed anything.

#11 Posted by agent41 (15273 posts) - - Show Bio

You ain't missing anything important. The dark gods are gone, and so is jason for now. #51 is the start of a new arc with a new writer that has 4 issues more after this one. So you can start from #51.

#12 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16246 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the better issues featuring Wonder Woman in Rebirth, by far.

#13 Posted by primebonnick (4284 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@primebonnick said:

You ain't missing anything important. The dark gods are gone, and so is jason for now. #51 is the start of a new arc with a new writer that has 4 issues more after this one. So you can start from #51.

Ok cool will do Thanks man

#14 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost forgot! This issue basically confirms that Amazons still have advance tech, we saw the purple healing ray and amazons exploring the stars on kangas. I'll post scans if need be.

Yeah, that was so dope. Also Astarte and the Citizenry are some of my favorite aspects of Wonder Woman's mythos. The space Amazons are a good counterpart to the Themyscirans and Bana, I'd like to see more stories with them.

No Caption Provided

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Astarte_(New_Earth)

The Wonder Woman fashion show was cool too. It had some old favorites (the Golden Eagle), a nice new design and managed to even modify the Finch armor so it looked good. Add to all that the Kangas and I'm sold. This was easily the best issue since Rucka.

#15 Posted by agent41 (15273 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41 said:
@primebonnick said:

Ok cool will do Thanks man

You are welcome.

#16 Posted by masterwitcher88 (1330 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88 said:

Yeah, that was so dope. Also Astarte and the Citizenry are some of my favorite aspects of Wonder Woman's mythos. The space Amazons are a good counterpart to the Themyscirans and Bana, I'd like to see more stories with them.

No Caption Provided

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Astarte_(New_Earth)

The Wonder Woman fashion show was cool too. It had some old favorites (the Golden Eagle), a nice new design and managed to even modify the Finch armor so it looked good. Add to all that the Kangas and I'm sold. This was easily the best issue since Rucka.

I like the idea that the Amazons take a little from a bunch of cultures. Like their architecture is Greco-Roman mixed with advance teach, but there diet seems to be from all over the globe, as is their laws.

I also like the idea that Paradise Island is just the island and Themyscira is the city state. That means each aspect of the Amazons has a place on the island. Themyscira is the main city, the Bana could be near the beaches on a separate side, Space Amazons on another island that they built, etc...

#17 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

In years to come, we can hold up this issue, point to it and say: 'This is why we normally dont see this part in full!'
Because good god this was boring.

#18 Posted by agent41 (15273 posts) - - Show Bio

In years to come, we can hold up this issue, point to it and say: 'This is why we normally dont see this part in full!'

There wasn't a lot of action. But the writing was good. If we can get this more accurate portrayal of Diana's personality along with good action, then we have are on the right track. Unlike robinson where Diana didn't appear in some issues. Dialogues were usually bad, and the action wasn't there in a lot of the issues either.

#19 Posted by Archizooom (2123 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman needs to chuck her UN clothes and Kingdom Come armour in a rubbish bin and set them on fire

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#20 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15391 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue was probably my favourite WW issue since Rebirth has started.

#21 Posted by TrueThemyscira (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman needs to chuck her UN clothes and Kingdom Come armour in a rubbish bin and set them on fire

This lol.

#22 Edited by Tedirey (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85 said:

This is super boring. This is not current Diana. This is like a super-nice clone that Barbara Minerva can easily fool like an idiot during the earlier Perez years.

This is not in-continuity, personality-wise. This is like an Elseworlds. Gone is the no-nonsense badass warrior and now we got a nonsense, unrealistic, too nice to a fault buffoon that it seems like she’s got schizoprenia.

Well it seems we got 3 kinds of fans:

1. Action and feats - that’s us

2. Blah blah blahs - minority who are just active at the forums

3. Fake fans - Mostly Thor and Hulk fans who suports no. 2 and hates her having feats like Darkseid-smashing. They usually say lol and always hate everything specially if she has better feats than their favorite heroes.

#23 Posted by agent41 (15273 posts) - - Show Bio

@tedirey said:
@outside_85 said:

This is super boring. This is not current Diana. This is like a super-nice clone that Barbara Minerva can easily fool like an idiot during the earlier Perez years.

This is not in-continuity, personality-wise. This is like an Elseworlds. Gone is the no-nonsense badass warrior and now we got a nonsense, unrealistic, too nice to a fault buffoon that it seems like she’s got schizoprenia.

3. Fake fans - Mostly Thor and Hulk fans who suports no. 2 and hates her having feats like Darkseid-smashing. They usually say lol and always hate everything specially if she has better feats than their favorite heroes.

I think is safe to say that all WW fans want great action. But WW hasn't had a lot of great action moments these past years. Only a few here and there. Also the action part shouldn't come at the expense of WW being writen as a generic warrior woman. She is a badass powerhouse warrior, but not the type that will go around hitting everybody as the first mean to solve a problem. There is a time and place for everything. For the most part, People at DC haven't put much effort in writing her these past years, in terms of both. Her personality and power.

#24 Posted by TrueThemyscira (360 posts) - - Show Bio

@agent41: WW is borderline mid-tier level now. Issue 51 she didn't do much but I did like that they mentioned classic WW concepts. But yeah, it's been ages since we've gotten a well written WW comic with good action/feats.

#25 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (2114 posts) - - Show Bio

@tedirey said:
@outside_85 said:

It sounds like you're mad you got a Wonder Woman story when what you wanted was Xena.

When has Diana ever been a "no-nonsense badass warrior" in your eyes?

#26 Edited by Tedirey (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine:

WW is badass since Infinite Crisis. What we got is similar to Diana a few weeks after she steps into Man's world during the Perez' years. It's like her personality regressed and didn't developed.

And no, I'm not mad. This is just a writer's take and he severely missed the mark. It's nothing definitive.

#27 Edited by dshipp17 (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the writer unwittingly revealed something about Diana's character: Moon, the beautiful, as well as a woman, got Diana's tender loving care, but, Inversion, The Inside Out Man, and ugly, just got the cold harsh shoulder of nothing from Diana; not a single visit, peep talk, or even second thought, apparently, to sooth whatever pain he was facing; congratulations; the writer did reveal so much about the current Diana's apparently shallow character traits, although not necessarily what he intended; but, in the One Year Later aftermath, it shows that Dr. Psycho is in the background somewhere; after this reveal of Diana's possible true character, Dr. Psycho's appearance and his developing Diana's character, as yig to her yang, as her Joker or Lex, would make the perfect timing. Definitely a change of tone from all of the prior writers, post-52. If only they could abandon this warrior, Xena light stuff in her talk.