Divine Wisdom: How it could/ should work

Kevinffinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kevinffinity

On the official DC comics page, they have Divine wisdom listed as one of Diana's powers. This is a power she hasn't explicitly shown in any recent comic and has barely been hinted at.

One of the possible reasons is that DC writers don't know how to properly incorporate it without have Diana come off as Over Powered. I know this was a power she commonly used in the days of Marston but now alot of fans don't even know what it means.

The point of this topic is to discuss how you feel writers could incorporate this ability (not just how it was but how it could be) into Wonder woman's stories without making her too over powered.

My take...

I believe this ability should be clearly visible. it should be something people should easily notice when seeing Diana in action.

Diplomacy

This is going to be mostly retreading old ground. I believe this is where the ability should be most evident. Diana should have an understanding of human and possibly alien psychology. She should be able to understand people's emotions, motives and be able to uncover the origin of problems. You could call it super-psychiatry.

Combat

This will be partially new ground. I believe it should be a combination of Karnak and Lady Shiva's predictive sense

She should be able to figure out an opponents weak points similar to Karnak. Not just on their physiology but also in their fighting styles. She should be able to literally see the flaws in a characters offesinve and defensive techniques.

She should also be able to predict an opponent's next move to an extent. Either through body language or understanding a character's tendencies, she should be able to know their next move. This would allow her to further increase her reflexes as she'll be essentially predicting her opponents moves thus further helping her fight opponents much faster than she is (when combined with her skill and speed) further emphasing how good a fighter she is because combat is about skill, power and intelligence/ wisdom.

Lastly, She should have near perfect combat strategies. However when it comes to Justice league stories, I don't want her to "step on Batman's toes". While she can be a strategic master mind in her own stories, Batman (like always) should be the team (JL) Strategist.

I believe anything beyond this might lead to her being over powered.

These are just my thoughts. Feel free to explain what you'd add and remove and please explain why.

Also why do you guys believe this ability isn't displayed. It's on the Wonder Woman page so I don't think it's a lack of knowledge.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By masterwitcher88

I pretty much agree with everything you said. She's suppose to have Wisdom equal to Athena aka the Goddess of Wisdom and Warfare including law, justice, math, military strategy, crafts, diplomacy, and much more. In myth Athena was as wise as 10 thousand scholars and Diana should be the same.

I think while Batman can figure out who the main villain is Diana can make sure the team is battle ready, so to speak. At least where the Justice league is concerned, on her solo title she shouldn't need to call anyone for help.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree too.

I'd like a run of issues where Wonder Woman loses her main gifts from the gods (speed, strength, flight, possibly the lasso) and has to rely on her secondary rarely featured abilities. How would she use her wisdom of Athena, beauty and a loving heart from Aphrodite, sisterhood with fire and unity with beasts powers if they were heightened because her lack of anything else? That would be something new to see. The jet's offensive weapons and stealth features could also be displayed. I'm picturing her in her Diana Prince jumpsuit armed with a flame thrower instead of guns, strategically leading Steve, Etta, Ferdinand and the Oddfellows, while a heard of buffalo attacks their enemies and the autopiloted jet flies above dropping bombs.

Yeah, but back to the wisdom of Athena it should be seen like Batgirl's photographic memory or Kate Bishop's Hawkeye bulls-eyes.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

At the very least Diana should be able to call upon the wisdom of Athena at will like her brother Jason did.