Wolverine's heightened sense of smell.

logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By logansgirl

Okay I know I may be over thinking things a little (Ok alot)  
Has anyone else wondered how he is able to smoke cigars if he has  a heightened sense of smell? I just thought about how animals act around smoke,they hate it.It just seems like that is a strong smell that would repulse him. 
Don't get me wrong I love cigar chomping,booze drinking Wolverine.it's just part of his character. 
It was just a thought that popped into my head for no real reason.
camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By camodude

First off, thats a good question; and  i might be able to answer it. look at how different scented candeles affect you. And you know how dogs just LOVE sniffing at crap. we find it repulsing and that it smells horrible but dogs apparently have a different idea about how the smell reacts to them. same thing going with wolverine; he likes chopping on the cigars the smell doesnt bother him because hes a chain smoker an enhanced nose just doesn't work. 

logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By logansgirl
@camodude said:

"First off, thats a good question; and  i might be able to answer it. look at how different scented candeles affect you. And you know how dogs just LOVE sniffing at crap. we find it repulsing and that it smells horrible but dogs apparently have a different idea about how the smell reacts to them. same thing going with wolverine; he likes chopping on the cigars the smell doesnt bother him because hes a chain smoker an enhanced nose just doesn't work.  "

Hmmmm I hadn't thought about it that way. That's a good perspective. 
Thanks for your post! 

Avatar image for knightinbatmanarmor
knightinbatmanarmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very interesting point. But I think it also has to do with how people can become accustomed to certain smells and after a while the smells don't effect them as strongly or in the same way. I'm sure when he started they probably bugged the hell out of him. But, over time it probably just lost its potency on him as his body got used to it. Plus I'm sure his healing factor could have something to do with it in some long drawn out complex answer.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

speaking of crap, he may smoke cigars to permeate his nostrils so he doesnt smell other more unpleasant things.
remember he can smell everything around...well. so yeah, poop, and...okay you can imagine. but
keep in mind as well, a sense of smell, even a super acute one, cant be turned off and on.

logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By logansgirl

I had not thought about the fact that smoking dulls your sense of smell and taste for that matter which are both connected. 
Being able to smell EVERYTHING would  suck really bad, so I guess you would need to find a way to drown some of them out.

Bez616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does he have heightened sense of smell?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I think it's like how smokers don't know how bad it smells for other people. Like if you are a smoker, you wont notice the smell when you step into a place where someone has been smoking (alot), as a non smoker you know almost immediately when you've been the same place.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@bez616: Because it’s part of his mutation.