• 93 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The 2008 Old Man Logan story arc by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven changed the way we looked at Wolverine. Set 50 years in the future, we saw an aged and beaten Logan who tried to live a peaceful and nonviolent life. With a wife and kids, he was under the mercy of Bruce Banner's offspring, the Hulk Gang, as they ruthlessly tormented farm tenants in Northern California.

Old Man Logan was the inspiration for the latest Wolverine movie, simply titled Logan--you can read our review here. The current ongoing comic series took Logan from his future time period into the present day Marvel Universe. Until now, Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino handled the writing and art. Marvel has revealed to us that Ed Brisson is taking over the writing, with Mike Deodato Jr. providing the art beginning in issue #25. We talked to Brisson to find out what he has planned and how the Maestro fits in.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: Will Logan be in his own/future time or in the present? Or both?

Ed Brisson: This series will all be set present day, in regular Prime Marvel Universe continuity--although pulling bits from other realities as well. We'll get to see some flashes of Logan's past (our future), but all the action is here and now.

What made you decide to bring in the Maestro?

Logan's already battled a future version of Banner who'd gone full hillbilly, and I think the dynamic of him battling against a different, smarter, and more motivated Bruce Banner would be an interesting fight.

What if the Wasteland Banner had set a higher bar for himself? What if instead of hiding in a cave, pumping out Hulk babies and acting like a slumlord, he'd instead set his sights on ruling ALL of America? The world? He certainly had the muscle to make it a very real possibility.

Maestro, on the other hand, comes from a future where he DID run everything, even without his very own army of Hulks. So, this is a chance to see how Maestro would utilize that. He's a man with a plan.

From Logan's perspective, there's now a threat of Hulks from the future who're here, who shouldn't be here, which sets his own anxieties and fears off. He's only recently begun to accept that his future isn't this world's future. And now that future has landed right on his doorstep. How does he cope?

For Logan, it's as though he's got to relive the same nightmare over and over.

Will we see Maestro's connection to Banner from the original Old Man Logan?

We'll see how he got to be in the Prime Universe and why he's rolling with the Hulk Gang. Maestro is NOT a fan of Wasteland Banner. To him, that Banner is the worst possible outcome for Bruce Banner. And that wasted potential fuels his anger.

Even though the Hulk Gang are not the Maestro's children, he's taken them on as though they were. As we've seen in Future Imperfect, Maestro is ready to take on Hulks to help him run things. He's willing to share the glory--or at least claims he is. Not everything is always initially as seems when it comes to the Maestro.

What can you tell us about the return of the Hulk Gang if they were all wiped out by Logan?

Reading over the original Old Man Logan (SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT READ THE ORIGINAL), you'll see that Logan left one of the Hulk Gang, Billy Bob, alive. Or at least left him in a position where we can reasonably assume he's still alive. So, we've already got him, living with the knowledge of what Logan has done to his family.

But, The Hulk Gang ran the WHOLE of California, beyond their HQ in Sacramento. What if there were more in…San Diego? Lake City?

Without getting into more spoiler territory, there's a reason there are other Hulks out there who might not have been present at the time that Logan killed Wasteland Bruce Banner and brood.

It's a fine line to walk, but I think that we've managed to bring the Hulk Gang into this in a way that doesn't detract from the original series and doesn't step on the toes of anything that's happened since. Who they are and what they want is all a very natural extension from the original series.

Can we expect any other familiar faces or things? Ashley Barton? The Spider-Mobile?

There will be some familiar faces, but I don't want to spoil anything!

Will you be pushing Mike Deodato by having him draw huge epic scenes?

No Caption Provided

I don't think I need to push Mike to draw epically. That's his bread and butter. If anything, I feel I need to keep that in mind while writing and ensure that he's got a lot of big action scenes to work with. It's one of my favorite parts of scripting this series. Writing scenes that I know Mike will just kill it on.

What are you most excited about in taking over the series?

I'm thrilled to be writing Logan. Growing up, I had a Wolverine poster on my wall. As a kid, I won a contest at my local comic shop for a drawing I'd done of Wolverine. I'm a lifelong fan. He's one of my bucket list characters. Plus, I'm Canadian and Wolverine is our national hero.

Old Man Logan is, to me, probably the most interesting incarnation of Logan. His struggle with what he's done (he killed the X-Men!) and what he's lost (his wife and two children) is an intense one. Even though he's now got the X-Men back in this timeline, that doesn't change what he did to them in his. That's got to leave him with serious PTSD, which isn't something that goes away. And, there are those differences that keep popping up to remind him that this isn't his world, even if he's trying to make it his home.

But, it's also a little anxiety-inducing, I won't lie. I'm following in the footsteps of Jeff Lemire, who is an incredible writer and done great things with Logan over the past two years. Coming after Millar, Bendis, and then Lemire means that I've got some Galactus-sized shoes to fill. Thank god I have Mike Deodato along to make me look good!

Old Man Logan #25 is on sale in June. Leonard Kirk provides the variant cover. You can read more on the original Old Man Logan arc and what won't appear in the movie here.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Last Time I've seen Maestro, he was imprisoned in the Collector's Collection... hope they explain how he have escaped, and dosen't give us another Maestro :)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kidchipotle

So wait, characters from the OML-verse are stuck in Prime Marvel? Or did I read that wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... A Marvel title getting a new creative team and not getting relaunched? Plus, moving past, like, issue 20 (in this case 25)? What... what kind of madness is this?! Man, I'm hoping those BC rumors are true...

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wait... A Marvel title getting a new creative team and not getting relaunched? Plus, moving past, like, issue 20 (in this case 25)? What... what kind of madness is this?! Man, I'm hoping those BC rumors are true...

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, it's always fun to see Maestro. I don't really follow this book but I'll probably pick this up.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Last Time I've seen Maestro, he was imprisoned in the Collector's Collection... hope they explain how he have escaped, and dosen't give us another Maestro :)

Marvel Editorial doesn't care about silly things like continuity these days..

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No contest. OML is nowhere near as good as young Logan and Maestro has always been shown to be stronger than mainstream Hulk.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Oh neat not Wolverine is gonna fight not the Hulk, can't wait....?

JarlBallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge this is gonna be good (since i hate Maestro i gotta root for OML)

Looks like Old Man James is gonna get eaten by another Hulk. Except this time its not a nerfed Mark Millar version :)

Avatar image for captainomnitron
CaptainOmnitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AKA how the original comic should have been.

Shin_Godzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool!

mantequilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 193

Brisson is trying to hype this so much but I cant stop thinking this is the laziest stroy anyone could come up with

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay Old Man Logan taking on a Hillbilly Hulk was barely believable, but the Maestro? Seems a few tiers out of his league.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge this is gonna be good (since i hate Maestro i gotta root for OML)

This seems like a terrible idea, because all i am thinking is how are they gonna nerf and how much PIS is there gonna be for OML to beat Maestro.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Stahlflamme

You knoww unless the grown-up version of the baby hulk logan took at the end of the original book jumps out from behind a rock Imreally don't know how he is supposed to win this in any even semi believable way.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll check it out. I wasn't a big fan of the original story by Mark Millar, but I did enjoy the ongoing by Jeff Lemire.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Since Lemire is leaving both Moon Knight and Logan I wonder what he's going to do next?

Pls, be Daredevil.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Since Lemire is leaving both Moon Knight and Logan I wonder what he's going to do next?

Pls, be Daredevil.

Royal City is a monthly ongoing that he writes and draws and it comes out today.

BB

Avatar image for spiderhyphenman
spiderhyphenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Yeah the rumors might be true.

Venom will go to 3 digits also. If true the June issue will be #151 after the anniversary #150 in may.

I like this series but i'm concerned that Thanos from Lemire and Deodato Jr. will be over?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eto

@darthkostis said:

Could you tell me, what are those rumors?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pls, be Daredevil.

No Caption Provided

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Oh neat not Wolverine is gonna fight not the Hulk, can't wait....?

lel

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IndomitableRegal

I'm gonna miss Sorrentino's art.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what happened to Barrleworld Maestro?

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds great !!! Im already a regular OML reader, i'll be sad to see sorrentino go, however this sounds epic to me. Im so in !!

I recall in the previous volume of spider -man 2099, Maestro was able to get back to 616 reality and that ended there... so i figured he has already been in the regular universe for quite some time.

Sounds actually suprising that Marvel might bev trying to go in the right direction now. Thank god !!!!

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thedailybagel  Moderator

This sounds great !!! Im already a regular OML reader, i'll be sad to see sorrentino go, however this sounds epic to me. Im so in !!

I recall in the previous volume of spider -man 2099, Maestro was able to get back to 616 reality and that ended there... so i figured he has already been in the regular universe for quite some time.

Sounds actually suprising that Marvel might bev trying to go in the right direction now. Thank god !!!!

Maestro has been in regular continuity since secret wars ended, he was pretty much the main character of contest of champions and is currently part of the collectors collection.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh great, he's gonna fight another crappy version of Hulk. Nothing like a new writer to bring new ideas to a book!

I'm thrilled to be writing Logan. Growing up, I had a Wolverine poster on my wall. As a kid, I won a contest at my local comic shop for a drawing I'd done of Wolverine. I'm a lifelong fan. He's one of my bucket list characters. Plus, I'm Canadian and Wolverine is our national hero.

Old Man Logan is, to me, probably the most interesting incarnation of Logan.

No you're not a fan of the character. Stop lying!

If you were, you wouldnt be wasting time with OML.

"Most interesting incarnation of Logan", my ass!

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aparently, they only relauch good books.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is NOT our national hero. That is all

MrAbductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting this

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Yeah the rumors might be true.

Venom will go to 3 digits also. If true the June issue will be #151 after the anniversary #150 in may.

I like this series but i'm concerned that Thanos from Lemire and Deodato Jr. will be over?

Doctor Strange is also getting a new Creative Team and is not getting relaunched, so who knows?

As for Thanos, I doubt it was ever going to be a true ongoing. 12 issues would be my guess.

@eto said:
@darthkostis said:

Could you tell me, what are those rumors?

Marvel is gonna go back to a "meat and potatoes" line. The classics will be back, but theyre still gonna try wacky books.

@jota23 said:
@darthkostis said:

Aparently, they only relauch good books.

Eh, it's random at this point.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Well well well. Back to good ol' Marvel comics. Hmmm

hmm

Let's wait and see, shall we.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thedailybagel  Moderator

Although yeah OML got stomped by cho and passed out due to internal bleeding because Amadeus got carried away.

Maestro, by feats, hype and common sense would rip cho's head off and stuff it down his neck. This won't be written as a straight fight unless PIS or a nerf/amp is involved.

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Survived to Battleworld, remain trapped in the fallen world, and become the main character [one of the] "Contest of Champions" series. At the end he remain "collected" in the Collector's Collection.

@earthsmightiest said:

Avatar image for spiderhyphenman
spiderhyphenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthkostis: Yeah forgot about Dr. Strange. Thanks

Lemire might be done at Marvel. We'll see!

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No contest. OML is nowhere near as good as young Logan and Maestro has always been shown to be stronger than mainstream Hulk.

Seriously. There had better be some plot assists here, cuz OML is out of his league.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although yeah OML got stomped by cho and passed out due to internal bleeding because Amadeus got carried away.

Maestro, by feats, hype and common sense would rip cho's head off and stuff it down his neck. This won't be written as a straight fight unless PIS or a nerf/amp is involved.

OML's healing factor better be amped back up to 100 for this, or yeah, plot assists are incoming. Prime Logan can be written to contain Maestro for an entertaining brawl (that ends with even Prime Wolverine going down hard), but OML? This would just be spite without some kind of plot assist.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Survived to Battleworld, remain trapped in the fallen world, and become the main character [one of the] "Contest of Champions" series. At the end he remain "collected" in the Collector's Collection.

@earthsmightiest said:

I'm assuming he escaped if he's taking on Old Man Logan?

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Hawkeye could kill Hulk by shooting him in the eye with an arrow,then Logan could beat Cho. Adamantium can cut Hulk,plus Logan has survived Magneto literally ripping out his skeleton,and nuclear bombs! Sorry,Logan would win.

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they give at least an hint of explanation :) but yes, otherwise, may be assumed he is escaped...

[or is Another Maestro... with multiple reality...

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin said:

@earthsmightiest said:

I'm assuming he escaped if he's taking on Old Man Logan?

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Hawkeye could kill Hulk by shooting him in the eye with an arrow,then Logan could beat Cho. Adamantium can cut Hulk,plus Logan has survived Magneto literally ripping out his skeleton,and nuclear bombs! Sorry,Logan would win.

1. Written by Bendis.

2. Special arrow made by Banner himself.

3. Banner no longer had the Hulk, the Hulk was inside Cho, the only person Hawkeye killed was Banner, which he could have done with a regular arrow.

4. Logan already got beat badly by Cho.

5. Adamantium can cut Hulk, but cutting Hulk and putting him down are 2 entirely different things.

6. Hulk already ko'd Logan several times, even gave him long lasting brain damage that his healing factor had trouble recovering from.

7. Maestro =/= Cho.

8. You know painfully little about all of this.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm bummed out about the current creative team is leaving but what this creative team has planned sounds interesting I'm excited.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP wolverine, assuming no PIS, but seriously, maestro is gonna look so bad in this, And I don't mean visually.

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off,I know quite a bit about many,many things I'll ignore that as simply an opinion. I don't care for Bendis that much,really. It's seems a bit stupid to make an arrow that might well be used against him,odd how Banner suddenly does something like that. Okay,then Hawkeye murdered a regular civilian,guess he should be in prison,then. Wolverine has been beaten by many,so Cho did too I'll give you that one. Wolverine could have cut off Hulk's legs and just walked away. Sorry,don't like Cho or Maestro. WHICH Hulk? lol Seems to be a surplus now.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off,I know quite a bit about many,many things I'll ignore that as simply an opinion. I don't care for Bendis that much,really. It's seems a bit stupid to make an arrow that might well be used against him,odd how Banner suddenly does something like that. Okay,then Hawkeye murdered a regular civilian,guess he should be in prison,then. Wolverine has been beaten by many,so Cho did too I'll give you that one. Wolverine could have cut off Hulk's legs and just walked away. Sorry,don't like Cho or Maestro. WHICH Hulk? lol Seems to be a surplus now.

I am sure you do, but the dynamic between Hulk and Logan and Hulk as a character, don't seem to fit in the category you are knowledgeable on, at least your comment lead me to believe that.

I mentioned Bendis because he is known for making highly controversial stuff, in fact prior to the issue were Banner death was revealed, he said he is writing something so controversial he might need to unplug from social media for a few days.

If you follow the story the reason Banner makes the arrow is because while he lost the Hulk and the ability to transform into the Hulk, he could still "feel" the Hulk inside him and he feared a transformation might still happen in which he would kill everyone around him, so he made an arrow that's capable of killing the Hulk.

Well Hawkeye was on trial for the murder of Banner, but was let off, which is one of the major conflicts of Civil War 2.

Wolverine doesn't really have the strength to cut Hulks legs off and even than they would just regrow.

I don't like Cho either, Maestro is fine, Peter David did an excellent job on him back in the day. There is a surplus of Hulks, i wish there were less Hulks, especially less of those that aren't the original.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic move. Lose an argument, instead of admitting that you lost or saying you didn't know that. You go with the "its just your opinion bro" move.

I don't know shit about any of these character but letting you know I KNOW QUITE A BIT ABOUT MANY, MANY THINGS.