Uncanny Avengers #5

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

One of the things I really dig about this title is it's an Avengers title, but it's also completely different from other Avengers titles. Captain AmericaSteve Rogers' idea of the Avengers Unity Squad continues with Avengers and mutants working together. Including an Inhuman into the mix should push things even further (although Synapse is absent here after the events of the first arc).

As mentioned in the last issue, the team is working on finding the Red Skull (who still has Professor X's brain). With some powerhouses on the team and skill level they all bring, you would think it'd be an easy task. The great thing Gerry Duggan does is make it more realistic and manageable. To find the Red Skull, if he's in hiding, you can't go around with guns blazes. Instead, you send a smaller team with some members carrying guns incase any gun-blazing is necessary. Rogue, Human Torch, Deadpool, and Cable are sent to gather some intel. This is such an odd group yet it they work so well together. Duggan balances the stealthy action needed and sprinkles in the right amount of humor at the appropriate moments.

Another aspect of the title is you never really know what's going to happen or who is going to stick around. In the first issue, we saw Spider-Man quit the team. Could we see another member quit soon?

It's always tricky when a different artist comes onto a series. Ryan Stegman will be back for issue #7. I miss his art but we do get to enjoy Carlos Pacheco's art here. Pacheco's art with Richard Isanove's colors look great during the intel gathering scene as well as the other big confrontation. All the characters present look fantastic.

While the story had some really good moments, there is one obvious let down I won't reveal. It's a sort of thing we've seen before and always makes you want to shake your fist at your comic. Hopefully this is something that will be addressed later. The story is pretty self contained even though it does add to the bigger Red Skull story we can expect to see. This made the issue feel like it went by quickly. Perhaps it's more of a feeling of being hungry for more. Also, when did Sin, Red Skull's daughter, get her face back? Did I miss something?

Gerry Duggan continues to bring the action, suspense, and humor to this title. With Carlos Pacheco coming on to handle the art, we get an exciting issue with a smaller group from the team going on a mission to find the Red Skull. Of course things don't go quite as planned and this makes the story intriguing but also a little frustrating. Uncanny Avengers is now a series where you have to expect the unexpected.

kalai1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kalai1997

I always wondered why they sent that team in for intel.

It makes sense for Rogue to go.

But Voodoo , Synapse and Rogue would be a considerably better team set for investigation, right?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit! Awesome, hope he got some cool moments.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this team does more of these smaller stories in the future. It's such a large roster, I like when they take the time to focus on a few of them.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is Spider-Man coming back to the team? I mean he has to come back. Right? And is Gambit even in this issue or is the cover more false advertisement?

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is Rogue ever going back to the X-Men? I really don't like her being stuck in Avengers books...

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gambit! Awesome, hope he got some cool moments.

That's not Gambit you know. XD

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Rogue ever going back to the X-Men? I really don't like her being stuck in Avengers books...

Of course she'll end up back in X-Men at some point. What I don't understand is why people have such a problem with her being in an Avengers book. Wolverine and Beast have been Avengers. Rogue can do it too. It's Fresh.

benwoodtweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13: Agreed, at this point it's harder to see who Hasn't been on the Avengers.

kalai1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Guess they do. These guys are so bad ass. Like really bad ass. This issue is fun. : )

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ducey13 said:

When is Spider-Man coming back to the team? I mean he has to come back. Right? And is Gambit even in this issue or is the cover more false advertisement?

Duggan revealed Spidey isn't coming back and Cable has taken his spot

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

Of course she'll end up back in X-Men at some point. What I don't understand is why people have such a problem with her being in an Avengers book. Wolverine and Beast have been Avengers. Rogue can do it too. It's Fresh.

As far I've seen... many people don't like Fresh things, but always the same, pre-chewed food...

RegulatorJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

Wolverine is everywhere and Beast I wasn't to happy about either. I would prefer if she was on something more street level like the Defenders. I am a little bit tired of the Avengers right now

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

I didn't like it when Wolverine and Beast did it, either. I don't like the Avengers...

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Whoops. I realize that now. Haha.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

I didn't like it when Wolverine and Beast did it, either. I don't like the Avengers...

Alright. If you flat out don't like the Avengers I can see why your anxious.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

Wolverine is everywhere and Beast I wasn't to happy about either. I would prefer if she was on something more street level like the Defenders. I am a little bit tired of the Avengers right now

Don't know if your aware, but Beast has been an Avengers going back to the 70s. I love The Avengers and The X-Men. But it always felt like to me that they weren't in the same Marvel Universe. Like whatever happened to the planet in X-Men books never affected the Avengers and Vise versa. I didn't like the segregation. So When Uncanny Avengers came out, I thought it was a great way of integrating the characters from both sides. An easy solution would be to feature Rogue in both X-Books and A-Books. Just like Wolverine and Spider-Man. That should make the X-Only fans happy.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i had to drop this book after the first issue, that art was just.......... ugh. I may be mixing this up with something else, was this the book that had stegman art? I forget, someone let me know. I used to LOVE stegmans art, but after the relaunch, he changed for the worse.

Pacheco on art? Im in..... and i love that cover! Im gonna need to grab two copies, one will go in a frame on my wall. Yes im a rogue and gambit shipper, i f'n love that cover. My lady is a gigantic fan of them as well. Maybe i'l frame it and give it to her as a little gift! yes im corny lol

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:
@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

I like the movies, though. It's just that the current batch of writers has sort of made it AvX...

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:
@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

I like the movies, though. It's just that the current batch of writers has sort of made it AvX...

I'm a bit confused now. Do you just flat out dislike Avenger comics in general OR do you just dislike what Marvel has done with the Avengers comics the last few years? (ie. Hickman, Remender, & Bendis's runs)?

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bl00dwerK

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:
@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:
@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

I'm a bit confused now. Do you just flat out dislike Avenger comics in general OR do you just dislike what Marvel has done with the Avengers comics the last few years? (ie. Hickman, Remender, & Bendis's runs)?

It's a bit of both. I have never been a fan of the Avengers, and have always liked the X-Men, but ever since AvX it seems Marvel has gone out of it's way to make the Avengers seem like heroes and the X-Men like villians. The MCU is a different story, though. They don't come off as a bunch of self-righteous [REDACTED] in the movies, other than maybe Tony (lol)...

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't Doom have Red Skull after AXIS?

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ducey13 said:
@bl00dwerk said:

They weren't a street level team. They dealt with harder problems then the Avengers.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while this is definitely not a regular title that i pull, i bought it and gave it a read. i was not impressed. oh well at least the cover was pretty.....