Uncanny Avengers #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

UNCANNY AVENGERS takes the unlikely line-up of superheroes, mutants, and inhumans and smashes them together, hoping for the best. This brand new team is lead by Steve Rogers, still in his older state, and features a team made up of Spider-Man, Deadpool, Rogue, Human Torch, Doctor Voodoo, Synapse, and Quicksilver.

This is quite the odd group of characters for the newest Avengers team. There are lots of big personalities here and of course, they're not all going to get along. Who seems to be the biggest problematic character? Deadpool. It makes sense since he's reckless at times and plays by his own, wacky rules. When the team was first announced, it seemed nuts, but within the context of the issue, it makes complete sense. This book is about unifying heroes in the Marvel universe. Most team books never have any opening bumps in the road. Everyone just works fine and dandy with each other. Here, there's a bit of a learning curve and the butting of heads and no, it's not just all just problems with Deadpool.

Team dynamic, which there is little to none here, is what makes this issue so enthralling. These characters know each other, more or less, but they're complete strangers for the most part. Something writer Gerry Duggan covers very well here is how these different personalities play off of each other in the opening to the series. There is a backdrop with a new Inhuman villain, but it's really secondary to the team coming together.

Artist Ryan Stegman works with colorist Richard Isanove on the first issue and one thing that really stood out was the design of Steve Rogers here. It doesn't look like the older Steve Rogers we've seen in the past, but it works for the character. He looks like an older war vet. He has the crew cut and a face that really shows his age. He's still really in shape for his age and I found myself really enjoying the reinvention of the character here. The only real problem within the art was the color work seemed too bright and popped out too much for the story. It felt like a contradiction to the tone of the story at times. Isanove is a very talented colorist and did some great work on ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, but his work seemed a tad too poppy for the issue.

Overall, this is a very solid start to a new series. It may not be the best for someone who is brand new to Marvel books, since characters like Doctor Voodoo and Synapse are a bit of a mystery, but what makes this book a step above the rest is how the team works and doesn't work together. This is really an amalgamation of everything at Marvel, representing almost everything the company has put together over the years, from Fantastic Four to mutants and everything in between. I recommend picking this issue up and checking it out for yourself.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Battle123axe

Kewl

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This comic is terrible. Give Rogue back to the X-Men.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the issue, but did have some problems with it.

1. I don't know the Inhuman character and I don't know Doctor Voodoo. So for me, I had trouble connecting with those characters.

2. Quicksilver's costume is just stupid.

3. Spider-Man demanding that Deadpool be taken off the team seemed over dramatic to me.

4. I love Stegman's work on Superior Spider-Man, but some of this art is really bad. Deadpool's head shape is really odd looking, especially on the cover. My biggest problem were the legs. The way he drew legs in here look so ugly and odd. There is a full page drawing at the beginning of the issue where it was the whole team, and Deadpool's legs are all crooked looking, and Spidey's legs are oddly shaped.

I liked the issue, didn't love it and probably won't keep reading it like I will Doctor Strange and Iron Man.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Another All New, All 4 review!

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, this seems interesting.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was okay Stegman art feel like a downgrade from his ASM stuff and spidey being over dramatic about deadpool was just bad

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Didn't like this issue at all, I personally thought the art was terrible, and I'm not feeling the characterization of a lot of people here.

Not really related, but ever since Cap became geriatric, I haven't been a fan. It's like old age dialed his asshole meter up to 11.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was bad

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: Thanks for that, sometimes writers make Spidey act weird around Deadpool which I dont like.

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@kokemabb200: It really has, especially if you read the All New Captain America #1, he stops Sam from helping people.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@currentthor2015: Seriously, all Deadpool do was give the guy cancer, which killed the villain, and then Spidey is like, "Either he goes or I do." Umm...what?! He seriously just stopped this guy, and you want him off the team? Idk whats going on in te new Spider-Man, but this one has a giant rod up his ass

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: He's not like that in his new main series at all, he's the same as he was before, it must just be this writer doing him wrong.

Lordhuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dat art.

I won't keep reading it probably.

IAmNotGroot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IAmNotGroot

@lordhuck: I know Spidey has never liked killing, but I don't think he has a code. And even if he does, the issue should have addressed that then. Because a person like me, who is eaither trade-waiting ASM or not reading it at all, don't know these things. But I should be able to pick up this book and understand why certain decisions are made. Of course reading the character titles will improve this book, but it shouldn't be required to make sense of this story. Sorry for the long rant haha

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry I just don't have the budget to gamble on this stuff.

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot,:I think spidey was not upset that deadpool gave him cancer. i think spidey was upset because it was equally likely that the adaptoid got his healing factor. Spider-man was upset that he took such a careless risk

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beaubier

I didn't care for this issue. Not only is Quicksilver's costume absolutely horrible, but his characterization was completely off. Some of the other characterizations were bad as well, but Quicksilver's was hands down the worst as it was just straight up OOC. The art is pretty 'meh', but it isn't nearly as bad as the art in All New Avengers, so I'll give it a pass just for that reason.

Could someone explain to me what the whole story is behind the banter Rogue and Johnny Storm had about Medusa? I didn't understand, but it kind of sounded like there was some kind of implied love triangle which made absolutely no sense to me.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey is right. Deadpool is a killer and nothing justifies that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: Rogue, Quicksilver, Captain America and Spider-Man have all killed before.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to dig out my early issues of Scarlet Spider that Stegman did, because I certainly don't remember everyone having giant calves and tiny ankles.

Also, does Rogers not know who Spider-Man is all of a sudden? He did know before right? Do I need to have read Amazing Spider-Man to get an answer? Because that sure as hell isn't going to happen.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Not like Deadpool or the Punisher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: You just said that nothing justifies killing...

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another ANAD launch that I thoroughly enjoyed. Great roster, great creative team, looking forward to issue 2.

Kurolegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparty_dbq: Most likely Steve is speaking of Peter as if he's another person because, aside from him and Johnny, no one else on the team knows Peter's identity.

rajabuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rajabuta

@sparty_dbq said:

I need to dig out my early issues of Scarlet Spider that Stegman did, because I certainly don't remember everyone having giant calves and tiny ankles.

Also, does Rogers not know who Spider-Man is all of a sudden? He did know before right? Do I need to have read Amazing Spider-Man to get an answer? Because that sure as hell isn't going to happen.

whooo boy, where to begin.

Spiderman has had a reset of some sort after civil war.

because of some event(spoilers) everyone forgets who he is and his marriage with MJ never happened.

and did steve ever find out his secret identity after that?

right now he is going down the path of tony stark, hence the comment made by steve rogers

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Really? this issue was awful. The art was atrocious. Its a damn shame because I generally love Stegmans art. I dont know what the hell happened here though.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: Ha now isn't that semantics. I said nothing justifies being a killer. Killing someone is not the same as being a killer. Btw, I can't recall when Spider-man killed someone before. Morlun doesn't count. I'm not challenging you, simply curious.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Kokemabb200

@rabumalal: Found this

I'm with you that there's a distinction between being a killer and being forced to kill, and Spider-Man typically falls into the second category. IIRC I think Matt Murdock has the staunchest no kill policy... except that time he killed Bullseye, but demons were involved so does that count?

Also, Captain America was in WWII, he was killing Nazis left and right. I'd actually prefer it if they made Cap less opposed to killing. I think he used to be alright with it when Brubaker was writing him, but he didn't want to be "judge/jury/executioner" (that's why he's opposed to the Punisher) so he apprehends the criminals and lets the justice system handle it. Lately however, it seems like he's adopted a no-killing rule too.

I do disagree about the "Deadpool is a killer, nothing justifies that" statement. One of the most popular heroes in Marvel is Wolverine, and he opts to solve 99% of his problems with murder, but everyone looks the other way in regards to him. Hawkeye shoots arrows into people's heads routinely, and Black Widow is big on filling people with bullets, but no one holds them to the same standard as Frank or Deadpool.

kevinwalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard nothing but bad things about this. And deadpool is in it.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LordRyus

No way Spider-Man is gone for good, he's getting an ongoing teamup with Deadpool so there is just no way he's quiting over him joining the team for long.

Lmao at Rogue's gaff. Though I felt like the rest of her dialog wasn't very Rogue esk.

Quicksilvers costume is horrible (so is most of the art, especially people's limbs), him likely tricking the new Inhuman girl on a date though was funny. Her powers seem interesting.

Deadpool was funny but definitely watered down. Thankfully Old Man Rogers jerkiness was too, can we get the real cap back though? Brother Voodoo didn't get too much...

The villain is kinda meh, but the art of his minions kinda fun

Overall the issue might get me too pick up the next.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamnotgroot: Thanks for that, sometimes writers make Spidey act weird around Deadpool which I dont like.

Hmm what do you mean?

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noj said:

Really? this issue was awful. The art was atrocious. Its a damn shame because I generally love Stegmans art. I dont know what the hell happened here though.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about Stegman's art! Dunno about the issue since I didn't read it.

But seriously, wth Stegman?

No Caption Provided

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OUTBREAK666

Okay usually I love Stegman's art but damn was it bad in this issue,

that being said, I love the new team, and so far I'm liking the story.

-deadpool was funny as hell with the Boston accent,

-I'm very intested in that new inhuman girl synapse.

-I really like this idea with Inhumans, mutants, and avengers working together,

-this terrain mist killing rouge thin is also interesting

-and the new villain seems pretty do people, I wanna know what his powers are.

-Deff picking up issue 2

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for antihero_jaymok
Antihero_Jaymok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think right now the teams, stories, and ART are all very reminiscent of the Marvel I remember from the 90's. So I'm of the mind that give it time, and this Marvel will ALL change and just be a bad dream.

ianrogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue, just STFU, you have Captain Freaking America there to give you the strategy, shut your trap

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@sprior93 said:

I concur, and I did read it. The art hurt my eyes, and the story seemed a mess of unenjoyable childish bickering, so yea thanks but no thanks maybe they can unite the inhumans and humans and just send my mutants to planet X. Hell we can even take some Fantastic four with us since Marvel doesnt seem to want them either lol

Avatar image for nerdyusername1194
Nerdyusername1194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@mcklayn said:

@sprior93 said:

I concur, and I did read it. The art hurt my eyes, and the story seemed a mess of unenjoyable childish bickering, so yea thanks but no thanks maybe they can unite the inhumans and humans and just send my mutants to planet X. Hell we can even take some Fantastic four with us since Marvel doesnt seem to want them either lol

And thats the problem with the X-men. They haven't tried to act on the belief they were founded on in years.

trendkiller24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason i bought this was because of deadpool, I thought he would have a bigger role but he seemed secondary to everything else going on in the comic, I'll give the next few issues a shot and see how things play out, not really expecting much though.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am surprised that this got such a high rating. I thought the issue was terrible all around. There were some interesting aspects brought to the table but it felt rushed, the dialogue was cheesy, Stegman sucked hard, the pace of the issue was terrible, the background behind the team was.... there was none actually, the cliffhanger and the villain also terrible.

I was surprised that this even got a green light as a book and Marvel allowed this first issue to hit the shelves. If you ask me, it deserves a rating of this kind 1/5.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I liked the issue, but did have some problems with it.

1. I don't know the Inhuman character and I don't know Doctor Voodoo. So for me, I had trouble connecting with those characters.

2. Quicksilver's costume is just stupid.

3. Spider-Man demanding that Deadpool be taken off the team seemed over dramatic to me.

4. I love Stegman's work on Superior Spider-Man, but some of this art is really bad. Deadpool's head shape is really odd looking, especially on the cover. My biggest problem were the legs. The way he drew legs in here look so ugly and odd. There is a full page drawing at the beginning of the issue where it was the whole team, and Deadpool's legs are all crooked looking, and Spidey's legs are oddly shaped.

I liked the issue, didn't love it and probably won't keep reading it like I will Doctor Strange and Iron Man.

this exactly . some of the characters didn't quite seem like themselves . the villain seems cool but the reasons you listed make me unsure of picking up the next issue

professorz00m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the art was a bit of a let down. Like I like the team but maybe Synapse could have been explained a little more. The Shredded Man looks totally wizard! Initially when I saw that Deadpool was part of the team I was sceptical as to how this series would turn out but how they have used him (to bank roll the avengers) was actually pretty decent and the adaptoid fight was great. I think some of the costumes need a little work like Human Torch I'm just not really feeling it and to be fair Quicksilver's costume is blatantly awful - maybe bring back the costume from the previous Uncanny Avengers run.

All in all I'd say this is a 3 star book. Like it has definite potential but it needs a little fine tuning before it can become truly great

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

these reviews are 1000% worthless everything gets a 4/5.

also, to any readers out there, is spider-man a pivotal role?

Im refraining to buy this because i dont want to lose iq points by reading deadpool.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"the colors were too bribht, and popped too much for this issue" ------ i could not possibly disagree more. The art was perfect for this issue. It all gelled as good as you could wish, and the colors were a big part of that.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarBrand1

"the colors were too bribht, and popped too much for this issue" ------ i could not possibly disagree more. The art was perfect for this issue. It all gelled as good as you could wish, and the colors were a big part of that.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was... not good. Start to finish. Poor art, poor storytelling, poor characterization. This was one of the line-ups I wanted, but I guess its just not going to be a winner.

So far I'm 2-3-1 with the All New All Different Marvel Now books that I have bought (2 winners, 3 losers, and 1 maybe)