Titans Hunt #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Following individual members of the Titans, Roy Harper, Dick Grayson, Lilith, and more, TITANS HUNT brings these characters back together. There is a connection between these characters, delving into their past in this post-CONVERGENCE title.

It's a new mini-series and it's a bit confusing right from the get-go. We already saw TELOS and SUPERMAN: LOIS AND CLARK and what both of those books did really well, especially LOIS AND CLARK, was establishing these characters from other universes in the New 52 world. In TITANS HUNT, it's a bit more ambiguous. It's clear this is taking place in the New 52 world, since Dick Grayson is working for Spyral, but it's not clear about too much else. The book reads like it's directed more towards hardcore Teen Titans fans over a general audience, which can be frustrating for new readers or people just looking for a little Pre-52 Titans. Fans will find Dan Abnett's writing of these characters to be really on the money. He really nails who these people are in the New 52 through the dialogue and action. It's an issue that dangles a lot of clues in the reader's face without giving enough explanation to really reel them in.

The real catch of the issue is Lilith. She knows something. It's not clear what, but her character, which is the glue to this issue, is easily the most intriguing. If anything, she's the character that you'll want to know more about as the mini-series goes on, since she's the key.

On the art side of things, Paulo Siqueira and Geraldo Borges team up with colorist Hi-Fi to do some pretty solid work. there are a few bumps in the road when it comes perspective, but overall, it's some great work. The standout scenes all contain Roy Harper, getting drunk, in the back of his truck. The color work here is perfect and the lighting is wonderful. There's not a lot of detail to this character, compared to others, but Roy feels the fullest and most completed.

TITANS HUNT is a decent book. The first issue sets up the characters and teases the mystery but just doesn't do enough to really grab the reader in. It's confusing and doesn't feel like it has a broad enough appeal for the opening of a mini-series. The art team does a pretty solid job to boot. If you're a Titans fan, this will be right up your alley.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I actually really liked this, it was probably my favorite comic this week. Yeah it was ambiguous, but I feel like it was ambiguous in a good way, giving it a sense of mystery. In any case I think we can all agree that while this is a bit of a risk it's one that could pay off very well, especially since the Titans haven't been so great for a long time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I'll read anything Titans related without Lobdell.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

so it's not clear if these characters are from the main earth or some alternate earth?

Also, Lois and Clark is also an alt earth story, right?

I tend to limit myself to books that are in the main continuity...I know, I'm the worst. But since I decided long ago I wanted to read everything, it's easier to consolidate that into "not bother with anything that doesn't feed into the overall thing that I care about".

PS. I didn't read Convergence, so there is a lot I might be missing..

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

TITANS HUNT is a decent book. The first issue sets up the characters and teases the mystery but just doesn't do enough to really grab the reader in. It's confusing and doesn't feel like it has a broad enough appeal for the opening of a mini-series. The art team does a pretty solid job to boot. If you're a Titans fan, this will be right up your alley.

I'd argue that this is a book for Titans fans more than any other, because casual fans don't really care about what was lost when DC went: "There were no Teen Titans before now." Also, if it had been entirely open an introductionary (if there is such a word), you'd ruin part of the set up of a 'secret history' like this is.

Personally though, this was a great book, probably my pick of the week. It may have lacked the humor of Martian Manhunter, but it was just so great seeing a team with this name slowly starting to assemble and with a writer that actually knows what he is doing... unlike the other book this week of a similar name, which was completely unreadable.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Decent but not amazing. Hopefully the story picks up the pace next issue.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@mr__kamikaze: Lois and Clark is Pre-Flashpoint Lois and Clark living on Earth Prime in secret.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mr__kamikaze: No that seems like a decent policy that's likely to give you a few less headaches (although I would still recommend checking out Multiveristy some time). This book isn't necessarily an else world story, it's more a story about the Titans past that may have been triggered by Convergence (which you do not need to read, nor should you).

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kid_jakeriv

I really liked the issue, it's my second favorite this week behind of Justice League. It was slow, but it's the first issue and let's be honest the writer has a lot to fit in. I have faith that he'll do a good job (it was definitely better than the Teen Titans issue that came out today... it was so confusing)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@kid_jakeriv: Abnett can pull it off. He's solid. I'm sure I'll enjoy the second issue much more

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm just gonna assume this world suffered massive amnesia and superheroes and certain teams DID exist prior to the supposed "First appearance" of Superman in the Post-Flashpoint universe.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is antithesis/Twister behind this

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked it. It was not perfect but the ambiguous and ominous set up was completely right for me. This could be the soft reboot I wanted and Abnett has yet to disappoint me. What's most important for me in this book is that I can relate to the character and that I get a mystery. They succeeded. They made me like Gnarrk, they made me like Roy again. And I hope the subtle speedster teasing will pay off.

bretmaverick2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to read it tonight. I read all things Titans, even struggle through New 52 material. BUT this sounds really good, like a return to the originals.

bretmaverick2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to read it tonight. I read all things Titans, even struggle through New 52 material. BUT this sounds really good, like a return to the originals.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285:Earth Prime is...the current/main Earth? DC is so confusing about this...

@captainmarvel4ever: So it's set on the main earth, but takes place in the past? Good enough!

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely better than 3 stars, especially with some of the issues you guys give 4 or 5 stars.

Sure what's going on isn't immediately apparent, but that's what the rest of the series is for. This first issue was to introduce the characters and set up the mystery. Whatever it is, I'm excited to see where this series is going!

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

An enigma wrapped in enigma. But their is hope and promise in this issue. I hope they can pull it off

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

Nobdy asked, but i will...

Where is Wally?

I did it.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still on the fence about this one. I desperately want a good Titans series (it's been waaay too long), but I'm just not sure if this is it.

Avatar image for quicksilver30324
Quicksilver30324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it a lot! My guess is that Lilith is somehow connecting to part of the Multiverse where the original pre-Flashpoint Titans existed and is imparting those "memories" onto the current Earth's versions of those Titans, and that's why they are not just snapping out of their "amnesia"...it's not their history at all. BUT they'll come together to fight the Big Bad and prove to be a really good team after all.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it. The artwork needed touching up on a couple panels, almost came off as if rushed. It's ok. Overall I'm going to bet Titans Hunt will go down as a sleeper hit. It just has that feeling. Give it time to bloom.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By titing2101

@thor_ul said:

Where is Wally?

I did it.

yah just saw this article and this was the first question i thought about.

Where is Wally West/Kid Flash?

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Garth have heat vision now? I haven't been keeping up with Aquaman, but can anybody tell me if he displaying a new power set or just his current power set?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul said:

Where is Wally?

I did it.

yah just saw this article and this was the first question i thought about.

Where is Wally West/Kid Flash?

Not a part of the team, most likely.

Even if some of these people that were/are Titans get their pre-Flashpoint memories, it likely wouldn't apply to everyone. That's why Cyborg has been replaced by Mal (of all people,) for example.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mickeymayhew

I'm hoping we'll see other classic Titans during the course of the run, like Golden Eagle, maybe even Phantasm, Pantha...gosh those names take me back; happy days!!

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul said:

Where is Wally?

I did it.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@scouterv: wasn't Mal a Titan b4 cyborg

By almost a decade since Mal first appeared in 1970. In the New 52 however... there is no guarantee Vic has ever been part of the group, or even known about them.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By waezi2

@hushofthewind said:

Does Garth have heat vision now? I haven't been keeping up with Aquaman, but can anybody tell me if he displaying a new power set or just his current power set?

No, he had that power before n52. It's not heat vision as such, but more like magical spirit-energy blast that he sends out of his eyes. And it's only one of the many magical abilities he has. But he is better with water manipulation, so he mostly use that one power.

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

If anything, I might wait for the trade on this one. As much as I am a DC and Titans fan, I'd rather not be disappointed.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers