What other genres should Thor be written in

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The sucess of immortal Hulk got me thinking again about the possibilities in comics

Comics characters have such a vast potential of stories that can be written about them, but they usually are confined to one single genre wich restrics things a lot...

SO if Hulk can go back to his horror´s roots, what do you guys think about Thor? what other genres about him are not being explored?

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mythological/Fantasy. Push the more mystical/supernatural/magical aspect of the Norse Gods. There was an interesting nugget during (of all people) Fraction's run where Thor went to get the god-seed and he was injured, revealing the nature of his wound to look like some sort of mystical element. Hickman also had a scene early in is Avengers run where (forget the villain's name) someone was doing some sort of psychic examination of Thor and commented on how his biology can't be traced to the molecular level and it's as if he merely exists on some ethereal plane. Little subtle things like that make Thor unique among the major franchise characters.

Since the MCU/Disney influence the Asgardian mythos has looked more sci-fi.

Avatar image for lazarus4tempest
lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By lazarus4tempest

Mythological/Fantasy. Push the more mystical/supernatural/magical aspect of the Norse Gods. There was an interesting nugget during (of all people) Fraction's run where Thor went to get the god-seed and he was injured, revealing the nature of his wound to look like some sort of mystical element. Hickman also had a scene early in is Avengers run where (forget the villain's name) someone was doing some sort of psychic examination of Thor and commented on how his biology can't be traced to the molecular level and it's as if he merely exists on some ethereal plane. Little subtle things like that make Thor unique among the major franchise characters.

Since the MCU/Disney influence the Asgardian mythos has looked more sci-fi.

Mystical ,Supernatural , Thor has the natural affinity for magic .....I want a writer with an extremely good imagination to tackle this concept

asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazarus4tempest: @haveatthee: Interesting, but hasn´t he already being written in a "fantasy way"?

what im saying is new unusual genres

but that´s a fine contribution

Perethorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Some epic fantasy storytelling wouldn't be bad.

They could also explore a sciencie fiction route.

Uttarashada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Uttarashada

U could do game of thrones in Asgard.

U could do war campaign with him.

U could make horror stories with Thor as well. Thor vs Elder Gods:Chthon & Set.

Just stop making him a soyboy MCU Jane Foster 2nd fiddle bitch.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see a horror story, tbh. I remember that back during Chaos War, Nightmare's interaction with the God Squad was quite creepy and terrifying. Not to mention that Nightmare seems to be interested in Asgard, so I could something coming from this.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: remember that time Amora kicked his ass on his own dimension

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazarus4tempest said:

remember that time Amora kicked his ass on his own dimension

That was a long time ago and the character was honestly going through a jobber phase back then. In more recent years, I believe Amora was one of his pawn soldiers during Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural. Nightmare has also taken on the entire God Squad(Which included Amatsu-Mikoboshi and Atum) and Thor/Loki together these days.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zetsu-San

Mythological Horror. I want the gods to be more heavily portrayed as cosmic/mystical entities, rather than these alien mid-tier bricks they tend to be. Gods should be the types of beings who can make stars, who Earth Wizards like Doctor Strange may invoke for spells.

I want to see Fenris as an unstoppable monster, like Mangog but with a cunning that befits the son of Loki. I want to see the Nidhogg portrayed as this all powerful lovecraftian devourer of worlds.

Oh, and bring back the God of Stories concept of Loki. Having GoS Loki and Rune Thor together would be a great way to push Asgard into a more conceptual, almost Sandman/Lucifer-esque, route.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianweapon: Not really. Not anymore. They went with the more MCU-ish explanation of them being some sort of advanced alien race with futuristic technology and super powers since around 2010 or so. Brand synergy and all that BS.

And when I mean mythological, supernatural or fantasy that can encompass a horror story, a cosmic story, a mystical story (ex. Dr. Strange), a war story, etc. The big problem of Thor/Asgard is accentuating the connection to Earth and having them spend too much time around Earth and humanity. The beauty of the Asgardian pantheon is that they occupy their own "realm" in space where they can traverse the cosmos as well as visit Earth from time to time.

Some readers obsess over the "relatability" of Thor (or other powerful non-human characters) but trying to pull him down to Earth stunts his unique character range. After all, the old adage "how can I miss you if you don't go away?" bears some truth. Thor shouldn't be some jock frat-boy constantly hanging out at Avengers mansion. His appearances should be sporadic and meaningful. So when the others are like "crap, what do we do" Thor should tip the scales.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Since the MCU/Disney influence, the Asgardian mythos has looked more sci-fi.

Came to say this basically. I've had enough of neon Space-Thor.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Dark fantasy/fantasy-horror.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazarus4tempest said:

remember that time Amora kicked his ass on his own dimension

That was a long time ago and the character was honestly going through a jobber phase back then. In more recent years, I believe Amora was one of his pawn soldiers during Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural. Nightmare has also taken on the entire God Squad(Which included Amatsu-Mikoboshi and Atum) and Thor/Loki together these days.

him taking on Atum does not make sense ...isn't Atum the same entity that was spawned from Gaea that eat most of the elder god?

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By andromeda101

@lazarus4tempest said:

loki trash him in his current run...just saying

Loki and Thor were getting their asses handled by Nightmare in the first issue and only won after a sneak attack from Frosti, who was powered up by the Norn Stones. Loki then fought Nightmare alone later in the fourth issue and was once again getting his ass whooped by him, even though Nightmare was just using a street sign as a weapon while Loki was armed with Thor's Jarnbjorn. After convincing Nightmare to give up his powers and immortality for them to fight as mortals do, Tony's invention went rampage and according to plan, killed the Lord of Dreams.

In the end, Loki won by actually using his brain and coming up with a plan(Like always do). Now in a pure power contest? Loki stood no chance and the series made it very clear.

@lazarus4tempest said:

him taking on Atum does not make sense ...isn't Atum the same entity that was spawned from Gaea that eat most of the elder god?

Yes, it's him.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: that makes no sense Nightmare is not elder god tier tho....these new writer has no idea how powerful Atum is ,that's garbage

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazarus4tempest said:

that makes no sense Nightmare is not elder god tier tho....these new writer has no idea how powerful Atum is ,that's garbage

By lore-wise, Nightmare should be. He's meant to be way older than them and is literally Marvel's version of Morpheus.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: but he is not.....Atum feat were he effortlessly consumed multiple EG's is greater than anything Nightmare has ever done...just saying ..plz correct me if i'm wrong

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but he is not.....Atum feat were he effortlessly consumed multiple EG's is greater than anything Nightmare has ever done...just saying ..plz correct me if i'm wrong

Not really. I think Nightmare putting Eternity into comma is a much better feat, mostly because even Fraction himself doesn't see Demogorge/Atum higher than said level.

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andromeda101: damn he put eternity in a coma ...wow,OK i see your point

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

andromeda101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lazarus4tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By asgardianweapon

@haveatthee said:

@asgardianweapon: Not really. Not anymore. They went with the more MCU-ish explanation of them being some sort of advanced alien race with futuristic technology and super powers since around 2010 or so. Brand synergy and all that BS.

And when I mean mythological, supernatural or fantasy that can encompass a horror story, a cosmic story, a mystical story (ex. Dr. Strange), a war story, etc. The big problem of Thor/Asgard is accentuating the connection to Earth and having them spend too much time around Earth and humanity. The beauty of the Asgardian pantheon is that they occupy their own "realm" in space where they can traverse the cosmos as well as visit Earth from time to time.

Some readers obsess over the "relatability" of Thor (or other powerful non-human characters) but trying to pull him down to Earth stunts his unique character range. After all, the old adage "how can I miss you if you don't go away?" bears some truth. Thor shouldn't be some jock frat-boy constantly hanging out at Avengers mansion. His appearances should be sporadic and meaningful. So when the others are like "crap, what do we do" Thor should tip the scales.

Ok...but as much as i would agree that he needs more respect and epic worldbuilding this still doesn't answer one question: what would this adds to the story?

we would get just another generic Thor story, not an game changer in anyway.

I suggest for example adding some political intrigue with the other pantheons and the internal affairs of Asgard, so we could explore more of the gods worldbuilding

and oh the problem is def not the relatability, at least not to good storytelling, see god of war "4" showing the relationship of Kratos and Atreus. In fact Thor is in desperate need of this: more character development, see more of how Thor sees the world, what he likes and what he don´t like

WolverineBatmanFTW:

Dark fantasy/fantasy-horror.

as much as i would like that i think it would be like a copy of immortal hulk

Zetsu-San: push Asgard into a more conceptual, almost Sandman/Lucifer-esque, route. 

i myself tought about this but i fear that it´s to late to reealy make gods in the main 616 universe as impressive as mystical entities on pair with cosmic one's without a major retcon. In (theory) the lore of DC acomplished that in interesting ways.

However i can agree that it can be showed with some other ways that gods aren´t the run out of mill super powered beings. Mostly in statments about their unique biology and etc, wich could be made into unique plot points

I maybe a hypocrate but i would like to se a sanman/lucifer-esque asgard. However to do that i think they would need or Odin or Thor discovering his true power for that to work and then limit the showings of power in a way to create interesting stories, while they could get nice feats in this type of storytelling is def not the main concern.

I myself have written a story in this way. Prob will never see the light of day tho, dut maybe i will write it as a fanfic